• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Killzone: Shadow Fall gameplay

velociraptor

I am a big kz2 fan but ugh shadow of fall not seems even at the same level of the ps3 Guerrilla production. I can't believe how much I'm more impressed about the graphic of KZ2/3 compared the last KZ on ps4. The hell it's happened? Even Sucker Punch will put in the shame the next Guerrilla game.

I have figured it out.

The power of the CELL™

:p

But in all seriousness, I hope what we have seen so far is simply because KZSF is a launch title. I don't see how you can create games which look as good as KZ2 and KZ3 (the best looking console FPS) and still be incompetent at delivering strong visuals.

nOoblet16

BF4 has better character models, textures, animations, particle effects and is running at 60fps. Not to mention, the game also having destructibility. What was shown running on a PC based on XB1's specs at E3 looks better than what has been shown for KZSF so far. Frostbite 3 is a very impressive engine.

I don't see the character model argument, what you've seen in KZ:SF so far are enemy models (in real time) and no main characters while you have seen them in BF4, even then I don't see how BF4 models appear superior. And I don't see how you can compare textures when you haven't seen either of them running in full quality loss less video. Animations so far are placeholders in KZ3 judging by how they are wore than last gen KZ games.

Also BF4 will most definitely be 720p seeing how it's aiming for 60FPS and aiming for large environments and destruction. There was even an inside rumour which suggested this, just search "Battlefield 4 720p"

Nate in Uncharted 2 is 80,000 Polygons.
No he's 37,000 ingame and cutscene model alike with Chloe being 45,000. The cutscene models have superior skin shaders and textures but they have the same polycount.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showth...ieves-art-work&p=640534&viewfull=1#post640534

Majanew

Banned
So you think:

BF4 (release on five different platforms including eight years old current gen tech, 1080p/60fps) = better graphics

KZSF (release on PS4 only, 1080p/30fps) = worse graphics

000y0d36.gif

Yeah because that's totally what I wrote. Sigh

eorl

Banned
Finally got around to watching this. Looks gorgeous but I still can't watch a full gameplay video on a console, the jankiness is just too much for my taste that it ruins the overall feel of the game, especially the shooting parts.

The graphics look fantastic albeit a bit rough on some corners, similar to Crysis 3 or Witcher 2. Hopefully this will set a precedent for future PC games as well as console games. Personally though I wouldn't purchase a PlayStation 4 for this game alone, it is a tad too generic for me and honestly I'm quite done for FPS titles.

Comparing the BF4 9 min trailer and the two K:SF trailers, I would say no.

BF4 still has the spectre of a current-gen game to it. And it would as it's main audience is 360 and PS3 players, lest we forget.

BF4's big draw is going to be next-gen.

what i seen so far, BF4 outmuscles Killzone.

So you think:

BF4 (release on five different platforms including eight years old current gen tech, 1080p/60fps) = better graphics

KZSF (release on PS4 only, 1080p/30fps) = worse graphics

000y0d36.gif

uh what are you saying here? Just because BF4 is on PS3 as well it is worse? BF4 on PS4 will be the ultimate version if we're talking consoles.GG does not have an engine comparable to Frostbite 3.

Finally got around to watching this. Looks gorgeous but I still can't watch a full gameplay video on a console, the jankiness is just too much for my taste that it ruins the overall feel of the game, especially the shooting parts.

The graphics look fantastic albeit a bit rough on some corners, similar to Crysis 3 or Witcher 2. Hopefully this will set a precedent for future PC games as well as console games. Personally though I wouldn't purchase a PlayStation 4 for this game alone, it is a tad too generic for me and honestly I'm quite done for FPS titles.

It's a good thing KZ:SF isn't the only game being released on PS4 then.

uh what are you saying here? Just because BF4 is on PS3 as well it is worse? BF4 on PS4 will be the ultimate version if we're talking consoles.GG does not have an engine comparable to Frostbite 3.

You're comparing a game demoed on dual GTX 680s at E3 to a PS4 exclusive. The fact is, we haven't seen what BF4 will look like on actual next-gen HW. BF4 runs on the same engine as BF3, and on PS3 BF3 looked worse in pretty much every aspect than either KZ2 or 3. So I would respectfully disagree with your statement about the two engine's and what they are capable of.

Pretty sure FB3 does not have area lights... nor object motionblur. Two pretty large engine features.

Bundy

Banned
Ugh, just received the info that Guerrilla Game's second IP will take place in the KILLZONE universe, as it seems.

The link, I received, is from a german site.

Bummer! Not interested in a third KILLZONE IP (Consoles, VITA and now maybe a different genre).
Meh!

obauma

Neo Member
That's not what the site says...

"Wir entwickeln auch eine völlig neue Spielemarke, was aber viel Zeit kostet,"

We are developing a brand new IP, which takes a lot of time.

Bundy

Banned
They said new ip multiple times. How can it be set in the same universe? :|
I was just looking at this part right here.
Not sure if he's talking about Shadow Fall:
"Wir haben uns gedacht, dass uns die PS4 als neue Plattform die Möglichkeit gibt, etwas Neues mit Killzone zu machen. Denn das Killzone-Universum ist großartig: Wir können darin herumspielen, Neues entdecken und mit der neuen Konsole etwas Großartiges auf die Beine stellen."

Drek

I was just looking at this part right here.
Not sure if he's talking about Shadow Fall:

They're explicitly talking about Shadow Fall, and why they stuck with Shadow Fall for their launch title because:
1. a new IP takes time.
2. the PS4's tech bump will allow them to do something new with the KZ IP.
3. they still feel like there is a lot of potential in the KZ IP.

Bundy

Banned
They're explicitly talking about Shadow Fall, and why they stuck with Shadow Fall for their launch title because:
1. a new IP takes time.
2. the PS4's tech bump will allow them to do something new with the KZ IP.
3. they still feel like there is a lot of potential in the KZ IP.

Meh!
So we're done here :/

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ugh, just received the info that Guerrilla Game's second IP will take place in the KILLZONE universe, as it seems.

The link, I received, is from a german site.

Bummer! Not interested in a third KILLZONE IP (Consoles, VITA and now maybe a different genre).
Meh!
Awful bump, I got excited for a second there.

They've said before that the new IP is very different from Killzone. It's not a new IP if it takes place in the Killzone universe.

If this game is a huge success I think they could make Shadow Fall a whole new franchise in addition to Killzone and the new IP.

Alienous

Awful bump, I got excited for a second there.

They've said before that the new IP is very different from Killzone. It's not a new IP if it takes place in the Killzone universe.

I don't think that's fair.

Different genre, different place in the timeline, different location etc. and it could be a different IP, in the same general universe. Perhaps taking place on Earth before the foundation of Vekta, or whatever.

Drek

If this game is a huge success I think they could make Shadow Fall a whole new franchise in addition to Killzone and the new IP.

I'd imagine they'll just use it as the new direction for the Killzone franchise period. It's inherently Killzone in all facets, having this and another FPS on the same IP would be incredibly redundant.

thuway

Every time this thread gets bumped I assume we are seeing an updated build, only to find myself disappointed because posters are arguing the merits of Shadow Fall to BF4.

looking at the original video, the gameplay reminds me a lot of Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 (both sucked). It seems they looked at the two of the most next gen games on the market and tried to copy the level design and encounter design, both look boring and dull

The initial terrorist encounter was awesome, linear but awesome.

Looking at the original video, I am so pissed off that we haven't got a decent quality video of it. Even the press video is weirdly blurred.

Every time this thread gets bumped I assume we are seeing an updated build, only to find myself disappointed because posters are arguing the merits of Shadow Fall to BF4.
Well, we're seeing the MP next week aren't we? That's something to look forward to!

VanWinkle

YES. I saw this thread and got excited thinking there was new gameplay. I got foiled again. :(

Muffdraul

Looking at the original video, I am so pissed off that we haven't got a decent quality video of it. Even the press video is weirdly blurred.

I've tried pretty hard to figure out what the strategical reason is that Sony hasn't put up any PS4 game videos up on PSN yet. So far, I got nothin'...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm a gonna go ahead and guess its alt fire is a double blast. So glad they're going back to their KZ1 roots with alt fire for their weapons.

The blog post said there's two different ammo types loaded at once that you can switch between. I'm guessing incendiary or explosive ammo. It looks beastly.

Top Bottom