• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Killzone: Shadow Fall gameplay

nib95

Banned
Those lens flares and glow effects are awful. Tone this shit down Guerilla. Oh, and if you have anything for DOF in your renderer? Remove it. Thanks.

No no no. Depth of field, motion blur, flare, post process effects, particle effects, dynamic lighting and shadows etc are all important next gen graphical additions.

The Guerrilla's guys are doomed.
They will never make everybody happy and looks like people enjoy to complain over them, even the great games they deliver.

true people are like:

Hmrgh! KZ3 was too linear (shows KZ SF's more open forrest lvl)

then: Hmrgh! KZ SF's open area makes it more plain then scripted sequences BORING

or...
Hmrgh! the KZ series doesn't have enough colour (shows more colour)

then: Hmrgh! KZ SF's colour makes it less war-like... oh and blue and orange Derp

seriously I know it's not everyone but these guys can't take a break this is just an old build but people are already in arms to completely attack GG espcially the Crytek fans

i-Lo

No no no. Depth of field, motion blur, flare, post process effects, particle effects, dynamic lighting and shadows etc are all important next gen graphical additions.

With you on that.

I think they should follow their own vision. Coming to a forum can have the same effect as focus groups. My complaints pertain to the overall vision of the game and nagging technical issues like pop ins. The rest, I leave up to GG to surprise me with.

it's standard scummy practice. atleast with multiplats you can make an argument that this is what the game can look like given you are in the .01% with the right hardware, but killzone and infamous are never going to look like the screenshots which sony circulates and all it reeks of a lack of confidence in their own product.

maybe if the fanboy tune was "stop blowing smoke up our overzealous asses" instead of "take this xbot" things would be a a little different.

"Thanks for the laugh"

If ever there was a perfect tag.

Those lens flares and glow effects are awful. Tone this shit down Guerilla. Oh, and if you have anything for DOF in your renderer? Remove it. Thanks.

DId you play the first games at all?

They all pretty heavily use death of field, motionblur, and lens flare. In fact... the games are heavily post processed.

IcyEyes

true people are like:
then: Hmrgh! KZ SF's open area makes it more plain then scripted sequences BORING
or...
then: Hmrgh! KZ SF's colour makes it less war-like... oh and blue and orange Derp
seriously I know it's not everyone but these guys can't take a break this is just an old build but people are already in arms to completely attack GG espcially the Crytek fans

Killzone games are *always* nitpicked and I don't get this.

Killzone 2 = the characters are slow and heavy in the movements.
They change the movements, make them lighter and more responsive.
Killzone 3 = the movements are awful! Looks like CoD !!! (CoD ?!?! I mean, have you guys played CoD after playing Killzone 3 ?)

Once it's the colors, then the gameplay, the visual, the lens flare, everything! People really enjoy to bash this franchise!

I cannot wait to see the MP and for sure a lot of people will find something to complain about.

Ps I saw the game at the E3 (I had almost the chance to try it ... sigh) and we talked with one of the dev and we expressed some concern about the game looking easy. He smile and said the game was demoed in the normal difficulty and anyway, the difficulty is dynamic.
Now try to figure out in hard with dynamic difficulty...

true people are like:

or...

Probably you're talking about two different groups of people. I've wanted Killzone to be more open, and more colorful, and I have no complaints about this latest footage.

Majanew

Banned
All games are nitpicked to death. Go into a Halo 4 thread.

Can't please everyone.

My biggest complaint with KZ2 was the controls. The input lag was too much and they felt sluggish. KZ3 felt better and was a much more enjoyable game for me.

nib95

Banned
it's standard scummy practice. atleast with multiplats you can make an argument that this is what the game can look like given you are in the .01% with the right hardware, but killzone and infamous are never going to look like the screenshots which sony circulates and all it reeks of a lack of confidence in their own product.

maybe if the fanboy tune was "stop blowing smoke up our overzealous asses" instead of "take this xbot" things would be a a little different.

You're going to be eating a lot of crow on release. I'm almost certain the final game will look better than these press shots, which frankly are not all that.

May I remind you.

241810.jpg

What we got in the end...

killzone2_171315.jpg

killzone2_171326.jpg

vyFwofwMW.jpg

ps3-killzone-2-1233707181-8.jpg

killzone2_174837b.jpg

IcyEyes

All games are nitpicked to death. Go into a Halo 4 thread.

Can't please everyone.

My biggest complaint with KZ2 was the controls. The input lag was too much and they felt sluggish. KZ3 felt better and was a much more enjoyable game for me.

Ok, I must admit I haven't pay too much attention to the Halo 4 thread, but well, other games are not so nitpicked anyway.

nib95

Banned
Nope. That'll be all.
There.

No post process effects? Lol. You've got the wrong game fella. What you're describing just sounds bland and sterile. KZ is and always has been about effects and processing being pumped to 11. In fact, Shadow Fall is not exaggerated enough.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure the last two pictures are from KZ3, nib. But your point still stands.

nib95

Banned
Pretty sure the last two pictures are from KZ3, nib. But your point still stands.

Nah. The last area in KZ2. The air station that the game starts and ends in.

KZ3 actually looks much better graphically in screens, though not quite as stylised.

But yea, people always underestimate GG's technical capabilities and always end up eating crow. Has happened for over a decade now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You're going to be eating a lot of crow on release. I'm almost certain the final game will look better than these press shots, which frankly are not all that.

May I remind you.

241810.jpg

killzone2_171315.jpg

killzone2_171326.jpg

vyFwofwMW.jpg

killzone2_174837b.jpg
I want KZ2 level motion blur and hit reactions to make a return so badly. I loves me some motion blur and the hit reactions made combat feel so much more dynamic.

ZaCH3000

Nibs is right. GG is a god-tier dev as far as rendering graphics goes. KZ2 saw graphical improvements with each media release. I expect the same with ShadowFall.

velociraptor

May I remind you.

241810.jpg

killzone2_171315.jpg

killzone2_171326.jpg

vyFwofwMW.jpg

killzone2_174837b.jpg

I am surprised at how well Killzone 2 holds up. Looks as good as anything out there. I love the blur effects and post processing. Better be in the final game, lol.

That's the problem with Shadowfall. It just looks sterile.

IcyEyes

I am surprised at how well Killzone 2 holds up. Looks as good as anything out there. I love the blur effects and post processing. Better be in the final game, lol.

Maybe it looks "sterile" (at your eyes, of course) because they showed the "utopian like" part of Vekta and I totally *love* how it turned out.
I can't wait to see what the Helghast side of Vekta looks like!

Showaddy

Damn those Killzone 2 Helghast models look better than the ones in the E3 demo. Pretty obvious now that it's a dodgy Alpha build with place holders.

May I remind you.

241810.jpg

killzone2_171315.jpg

killzone2_171326.jpg

vyFwofwMW.jpg

killzone2_174837b.jpg

Ugh. What a fucking gorgeous game. Best weapon models? Check. Best character models? Check. Best lighting? Check. All in the same goddamn screens.

Unfortunately, with SF, the more I see, the more my hype deflates, but I'll stay faithful to the death knell.

EDIT: Also, if I had it my way, GG would have a $1 billion post-processing budget. Love that shit.

nib95

Banned
Ugh. What a fucking gorgeous game. Best weapon models? Check. Best character models? Check. Best lighting? Check. All in the same goddamn screens.

Unfortunately, with SF, the more I see, the more my hype deflates, but I'll stay faithful to the death knell.

EDIT: Also, if I had it my way, GG would have a $1 billion post-processing budget. Love that shit.

Unfortunately GG like Evolution and a few others, leave polishing to the final stages of development. We know the game is basically complete, so these next few months will be spent polishing it up and making it prettier. Like I said, we've had over a decade of people doubting GG's technical capabilities, but they've never not delivered. Unless being a launch title really hinders them, or something major has come up stopping them from having time to spend polishing the visuals, it will be the same trend as always, and the game will get better looking by release. I'm confident of it.

My prediction is KZ SF will set the benchmark for next gen visuals for a good several months.

The best thing about those screens is that every one of them uses lighting, colors, and tints without being overbearing or losing the moody atmosphere. Those screens are prime Killzone; cohesive art, almost "back-lit" use of lighting + color (either behind the enemies or behind the player), and remaining oppressive and industrial throughout. I love that look, and Guerrilla does it so well.

Majanew

Banned
Unfortunately GG like Evolution and a few others, leave polishing to the final stages of development. We know the game is basically complete, so these next few months will be spent polishing it up and making it prettier. Like I said, we've had over a decade of people doubting GG's technical capabilities, but they've never not delivered. Unless being a launch title really hinders them, or something major has come up stopping them from having time to spend polishing the visuals, it will be the same trend as always, and the game will get better looking by release. I'm confident of it.

My prediction is KZ SF will set the benchmark for next gen visuals for a good several months.

I think BF4 will outclass it and set the benchmark.

Really don't get this incessant negativity.

It seems like everything the PS4 does is never good enough.

These are launch games people. They look outstanding for launch games.

Did you forget what the PS3's launch titles looked like? They were rather weak,

OH and as for the main characters weapon. I actually really like the design.

Screw the old rifle. It looked and fired way too much like a standard military rifle from the current era.

I'm tired of seeing weapons like that in futuristic FPS. IT makes no sense that people who've mastered intergalactic travel hundreds of years from now would still be using the same rifle technology we have now. That is why it is so tiresome seeing them over and over again in futuristic FPS like KZ and Halo.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
BF4 and Shadow Fall will look close with opinions coming down to preferences in art direction. Meanwhile, we'll continue waiting for the MGS2 or Gears of War of this generation, the game that will really set the bar.

Sid

The Guerrilla's guys are doomed.
They will never make everybody happy and looks like people enjoy to complain over them, even the great games they deliver.
The fans should be the priority first and foremost,haters will always hate.

Imagine if GG somehow assembled a team of writers and cutscene directors on the level of Naughty Dog over the past three years.

Then feel sad when you realize there's no way in hell anything close to that happened. =(

I want the Killzone universe done justice, dammit!

BF4 and Shadow Fall will look close with opinions coming down to preferences in art direction. Meanwhile, we'll continue waiting for the MGS2 or Gears of War of this generation, the game that will really set the bar.

I don't think we will have to wait that long.

I suspect we may see it before the end of this year. Whenever Naughty Dog gets around to showing off what they have coming.

I don't think we will have to wait that long.

I suspect we may see it before the end of this year. Whenever Naughty Dog gets around to showing off what they have coming.

That could happen by the end of the year if ND holds to their recent history of unveiling their new game at the VGA's. I think many are expecting their next title to hit in 2014, so it'd probably need to be unveiled this year. Especially if it's a new IP.

vio

Posting those KZ2 shots really doesn`t help SF at this point. Such a amazing looking game. Hopefully GG can achieve that level of polish by launch.

So GG has two teams now right? I guess the KZ2/KZ3 team is working on a new IP.

I think BF4 will outclass it and set the benchmark.

Maybe if it can keep the current fidelity and hit 60 fps. The city level of KZ sure impresses me more than anything I have seen from BF4 though. Looks flat out better than the city multiplayer map, and has much bigger scale and overall scene density than any of the SP level shown. BF4 SP is of course very cinematically scripted, which definitely gives it some visual punch. It does look like you are shooting some dudes inside a cutscene though sometimes.

One thing that is interesting, is that KZ games on PS3 very much focused on delivering a cinematic experience. Whereas I find this game is presented in a much less cinematic way. To me the city level looks absolutely incredible, but if anything I think they should present it a bit better, as they have done in previous games in the series.

wizzbang

Banned

I really liked KZ2 - I think the combat was tight, I liked the "lag" on the controller making me feel heavy. The graphics were pretty close to the target render.

Not the greatest game in the world but it was pretty cool.

Imagine if GG somehow assembled a team of writers and cutscene directors on the level of Naughty Dog over the past three years.

Then feel sad when you realize there's no way in hell anything close to that happened. =(

I want the Killzone universe done justice, dammit!

Killzone 2 was the nearest shot, and even then, I don't think story should play quite such an important role in the franchise.

I think it was the mistake with inFamous 2, Resistance 3 and Killzone 3 - was to be following so closely in the footsteps of Uncharted, with mocap high-budget cutscenes.

Not every game needs that.

Killzone story should be told during the gameplay.

omonimo

Banned

May I remind you.

241810.jpg

killzone2_171315.jpg

killzone2_171326.jpg

vyFwofwMW.jpg

killzone2_174837b.jpg

I am a big kz2 fan but ugh shadow of fall not seems even at the same level of the ps3 Guerrilla production. I can't believe how much I'm more impressed about the graphic of KZ2/3 compared the last KZ on ps4. The hell it's happened? Even Sucker Punch will put in the shame the next Guerrilla game.

omonimo

Banned
Posting those KZ2 shots really doesn`t help SF at this point. Such a amazing looking game. Hopefully GG can achieve that level of polish by launch.

This is what I'm starting to think now. No way this is the better that they can do, it's absolutely mediocre graphically (for a ps4 game).

FYI the characters in the Dark Sorcerer tech demo have one million polygons each lol
According to recent job offers main characters in the next game of Naughty Dog will have up to one million polygons as well.

We're going way beyond 80K next gen.

Nate in Uncharted 2 is 80,000 Polygons.

Moosichu

That's not how two-team studios develop. The KZ3 team would have been split with some working on shadow fall and others on the new IP. They then will have been expanded as more people were employed.

Majanew

Banned
Comparing the BF4 9 min trailer and the two K:SF trailers, I would say no.

BF4 still has the spectre of a current-gen game to it. And it would as it's main audience is 360 and PS3 players, lest we forget.

BF4 has better character models, textures, animations, particle effects and is running at 60fps. Not to mention, the game also having destructibility. What was shown running on a PC based on XB1's specs at E3 looks better than what has been shown for KZSF so far. Frostbite 3 is a very impressive engine.

Top Bottom