• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 vs XBox 360 - A mainly technical comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

Wow. It's like you've compiled oodles and oodles of useless information and thrown it all into an unreadable wall of text. Rest assured that your post will be selectively quoted by PS3 fanboys for years to come, though.

3 things:

1) When was this written? June 2006?

2) Why is this so obvious as a PS3 fluff piece? The 360 HD-DVD player isn't even mentioned in the playback category.

3) Why would you want to nuke your account with a systems wars thread?

IMO especially US media have been proven to be severely biased with regard to pointing to short term Xbox 360 benefits while neglecting the PS3 long term benefits. I hope this posting will help in aiding to level out the negativity surrounding the PS3 and hyping of the Xbox 360 from a more objective perspective.

This makes your otherwise very professional-appearing story (despite being worthless, since no here cares, I reckon) seem like a fanboy masquerade. Pointing to the short term benefits of the Xbox 360 is considered hyping it?

I own both a PS3 and an Xbox 360 (along with everything else) and write about games, and when I feel it necessary, I am going to point out the great stuff coming to 360 in the short term because people want to play games and play them now. Talking about what potentially will (and my mind, no doubt will) come down the road with PS3 sounds a lot more like hype to me.

pswii60

Stupid article said:
The PS3 is outperforming the Xbox 360 despite:

1) A higher entry price (which could fall dramatically over time, for instance with the release of a cheaper slim-line version)
2) Being released in a more competitive market. The PS3 launched after a one year headstart for the Xbox 360 and launched around the same time as the much hyped Wii.
3) The PS2 is still alive and selling well, unlike the GameCube and original Xbox which have been retired.

Is it? Or is this article only talking about Japan?

Also, lol at comparing SD DVD to HD Blu-Ray, and well done to the OP for posting the pics. How else would we have known that HD looks better than SD?

theBishop

Banned
I don't think its smart to compare transistor counts of the GPUs. The EDRAM on Xenos may need more transistors, but Unified Shaders also require fewer transistors per pipeline.

Anyone comparing the GPUs is either A) making shit up or B) breaking NDA. There is no authority on this issue.

nofi

:lol at all the replies after like 3 minutes. At least read the damned post before you start with the crap.

pswii60 said:
Is it?

Or is this article only talking about Japan?

I always read your posts with his voice, now, you know. =)

The RSX is considered to be faster, but the Xenos considered to be more flexible.

So essentially a 7800/7900 is faster than R600 (2900XT or so?)

Nice. Good to know you did your research.

Can we have the title changed to "PS3 vs XBox 360 - A mainly technical comparison by a person who really doesn't understand the technology?"

Arthursw1

Sho_Nuff82 said:
3 things:

2) Why is this so obvious as a PS3 fluff piece? The 360 HD-DVD player isn't even mentioned in the playback category.

3) Why would you want to nuke your account with a systems wars thread?

Maybe they are referring to features out-of-the-box, HD-DVD it's an add-on.

MikeB

Banned
@ Sho_Nuff82

It's a summary of my discussions with XBox 360 and PS3 supporters. I wrote this today.

You are a quick reader BTW, it took me hours to write.

FrankT

nofi said:
:lol at all the replies after like 3 minutes. At least read the damned post before you start with the crap.

Didn't even read the first sentence. :lol

Just had to read the conclusion.

While I agree with some of your conclusions and interpretations of facts - eg that US based media seems to have a notable bias in favour of Microsoft, saying things like

MikeB said:
considering most Xbox games offer little replay value

makes it pretty clear you have an agenda which is (intentionally?) adding your own bias in favour of the PS3.

Seriously, "My gf doesn't like the 360 controller as much, so PS3 wins"...?

LCGeek

formerly sane
nofi said:

I started reading a few paragraphs in and could tell the technical isn't in here outside of specs with no real foundation for a valid analysis. This has been done by better and more knowledgeable crowds.

pswii60

MikeB said:
@ Sho_Nuff82

It's a summary of my discussions with XBox 360 and PS3 supporters. I wrote this today.

You are a quick reader BTW, it took me hours to write.

Perhaps he speed-reads as you're trained to do in my business.

As for your article, most of the arguments mentioned are very old and don't hold true to reality. Both 360 Elite and PS3 upscale DVDs via HDMI, and in my experience the 360 does a slightly better job.

Also, why post a screenshot of a DVD and then a screenshot of a Blu-Ray to compare? Isn't that a little silly?

faberpach

bla bla bla bla bla

it's not the car is the driver that matters in the end...

but i give u a chiqui-point for you effort.

The PS3 consumes marginal more power than the Xbox 360, taking into account the power usage of a HDTV for both consoles as well, the difference is neglectable and should not nearly cost as much as a Xbox live subscription with very regular use.

AH HA! I knew there was a catch to free online play.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Even if all this was true... why post such a one-sided review? None of the positive sides of the Xbox 360 is taken into account. I'm surprised that your conclussion didn't end with "PS3 cures cancer, take that Xbots!"

chapel

Banned
I usually just lurk but I had to reply here.

Nice stealth troll on the 360.

Another thread of epic proportions? Has to be, its already a system war thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom