• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Fall [VD-dev new game, 3DS eshop]

V-Rally 3 is one of the better racing game on GBA.

Wacky Races and V-Rally are good racers for the respective systems.

As for them getting into middleware, I don't think it could work (same for Shin'en).

I loved Wacky Races, I still have the cartridge and play the game from time to time. It's a shame the IA only has access to bombs, but the game is wondrous for a GBC racing game.

Yanikun

Banned
E-mailed them as well:
yep we'll be using anti aliasing in 2d mode. (but if frame rate drops we'll have to remove this feature).

I can't wait to see what the game's going to be like. I really hope they can have both AA and 60 fps, that would be AAmazing.

CamHostage

One of my favorite dev teams form over the years, really psyched to see what they do next! As with Shin'en, I think their best asset is making amazing things happen on underpowered hardware and so I'm not sure what exactly they'll be able to pull off on this platform and beyond, but 3DS needs a "to the metal" developer to show its virtues, and I welcome VD-Dev joining Shin'en in pushing those limits.

Might be worth pointing out that VD are also licensed Vita and Wii U developers.

As much as I love Vita (and as much as I want Wii U to get good and hardcore game programmers on it,) I don't think this platform is for VD even if they are licensed. They might prove me wrong (and perhaps, as with Renegade Kid, their new games are less about breaking open the hardware and are more about killer gameplay backed with cool visual techniques; their best/most balanced work was on GBC and I wouldn't mind a new game that was like a mindblowing "raster road" effect or something similarly old-school that could be taken to the next level somehow with modern hardware and that they could affordably make great gameplay to back the tech.) I think these kinds of guys are good as one-platform studios, and as long as the audience appreciates it, 3DS is a target for their efforts.

Celine

We need a tech war between these guys and Shin'en.
Ah ah, well the first trailer of Shin'en Jett Rocket II should be available in a few weeks so maybe it will coincide with Iron Fall official debut..

From a graphics point of view (and just comparing their output on GBA and DS) I think VD-dev achieved more stunning results.
Shin'en though smoke them on the sound department.
Also Shin'en already morphed into a primarily DD-only indipendent developer 5 years ago and that let them to prove their talent on Wii and 3DS with multiple games (and soon hopefully on WiiU) while VD-dev released just COP in the last 6 or so years.
Wonder if they had trouble securing fund after their historical publisher, Infogrames, had financial woes...

E-mailed them as well:
I can't wait to see what the game's going to be like. I really hope they can have both AA and 60 fps, that would be AAmazing.
Good news.
Hope they can achieve AA in 2D mode.

Boerseun

Banned
I loved C.O.P. The Recruit. I'm in. And going by these guys' record, I'd expect them to hold to their claim of "pushing the 3DS to its limits". Seriously, this thing is going to look amazing. Bet on it.

wsippel

Banned
Looking closer at the background of the teaser image, I'm almost certain it's actually realtime 3DS material. Look closely, and you'll notice that it's rather low poly and has some odd lighting glitches that simply wouldn't happen in Maya or such.

I think VD and Shin'en are quite similar: They are both tiny, extremely experienced, focus on a single platform, and use their own tech. Even the artists know exactly what they're targeting and what tricks they can use to get the most out of the platform. There's no lowest common denominator - everything is "to the metal".

18-Volt

this guys are simply amazing. I've played every game they made for GBA and I literally dropped my jaw. Especially Asterix and Stuntman, I forgot I was playing them on GBA hardware.

I won't be surprised if this Iron Fall looks like a PS3 game. It's great to know that someone actually cares about handhelds.

Yanikun

Banned
Does anyone know if a version of the C.O.P engine was used to make Driver Renegade?They look pretty similar...

It was actually made by them. It's the same city as in C.O.P. and apparently it uses the same sound effects, as well as vehicles from Driv3r (which they made for the GBA).

The fact that Renegade isn't on their website (I had to boot up the game and look at the credits to check) probably tells you how proud they are of the game.

Truthfully it wasn't a bad game per se, it had the potential to be a good game, but there was just nothing to do in it, it was very clearly rushed.

JordanN

Banned
I saw Iron Fall mentioned in another thread and didn't get the hooplah. Then I noticed this thread and was instantly reminded they were the same team who made the awesome looking Asterix game on the GBA.

I guess they're going to have a lot of fun with the PICA200's features.

It was actually made by them. It's the same city as in C.O.P. and apparently it uses the same sound effects, as well as vehicles from Driv3r (which they made for the GBA).

The fact that Renegade isn't on their website (I had to boot up the game and look at the credits to check) probably tells you how proud they are of the game.

Truthfully it wasn't a bad game per se, it had the potential to be a good game, but there was just nothing to do in it, it was very clearly rushed.

I wonder if they'd be interested in revisiting GTA style games when they finish with this project. I wouldn't mind a Gangstar (Gameloft's GTA knockoff) quality title from them even if the city isn't very large.

Celine

Interesting choice of name for a dev studio..
The studio is compoased by two guys:
Fernando Velez and Guillaume Dubail.

I wonder if they'd be interested in revisiting GTA style games when they finish with this project. I wouldn't mind a Gangstar (Gameloft's GTA knockoff) quality title from them even if the city isn't very large.
I would really like a rally or arcade racing game from them.

magnetic

Do these guys come from the european demo scene or something? That DS game looked incredible, the GBA Asterix one even more so. Both don't look all that great as games, and the GBA would be one of the least suited systems for a 3D platformer (Doom GBA was shitty enough, thanks), but I'm glad that there are people dedicated to really squeeze every last drop out of portable hardware.

It's going to be really interesting to see how capable the 3DS is when you put everything to right use.

I would really like a rally or arcade racing game from them.

Man, I would KILL for a rally game on the 3DS. I mean, semi-realistic racing games and portable systems are usually a bad mix (though I enjoyed Gran Turismo PSP or Colin McRae 2005), but I still want one for some odd reason.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Third person shooter on my 3DS? Pushing system to its limits? Is it time for Revelations to be dethroned!?

Mael

C.O.P. The Recruit (DS - 2009)
cop0610.jpg

R* are wimps

V-Rally 3 (GBA - 2002)
IMAG0007.JPG

Holy hell some DS games wishes they were that advanced!

Wacky Races (GBC - 1999)
Wacky%20Races%20%282%29.jpg
At first I was like, meh pretty ok for a GBA game o_O

Ok you got my attention

Danneee

Hopefully not a third person Spec Ops shooter.

I would love a mech warrior type game on the 3ds. Using the touchscreen for systems control.
Maybe a Steel Batallion spin off?

Just got confirmation that VD-Dev DID work on Driver Renegade on 3DS, but as it was a launch title, they didn't have much time to optimize the hardware at all and in their own words it wasn't very good.

But still, from screens it's a pretty decent looking game, how did it run on 3DS? I bought it for $10 but refunded it right away after looking on a computer that the reviews weren't that good.

nikatapi

Just got confirmation that VD-Dev DID work on Driver Renegade on 3DS, but as it was a launch title, they didn't have much time to optimize the hardware at all and in their own words it wasn't very good.

But still, from screens it's a pretty decent looking game, how did it run on 3DS? I bought it for $10 but refunded it right away after looking on a computer that the reviews weren't that good.

It's not bad looking, good framerate and the 3D is very intense, especially on the highest settings. The cities are a bit barren, and there is some popup at times.

But it's a very shitty game.

CMSC

Neo Member
I can't wait to know more about this game! I was so disappointed when E.X.Troopers didn't make it to Europe and the 3DS really needs more shooters.

Yanikun

Banned

It looked pretty decent as far as launch-window 3DS titles go, but the car models looked really bad.

The funny thing is, the menu screens take place in a garage fully modeled in 3D, and I always thought the garage looked really good. I understand why, now.

Other than that, like I said above, I thought the game could have been pretty freaking good, and in some moments it was, but it's so obvious the development time was extremely short. It's a missed opportunity, but I never felt like it was the sign of bad developers, just the sign of an ambitious game that the publisher never took seriously and made in a hurry. It made me feel more disappointed in Ubisoft than in the developers themselves.

L~A

Pretty impressive from a technical standpoint, but I can't say some sort of Gears of Wars clone really excites me... Hope it's a tad more inspired that this screenshot.

Top Bottom