• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Fall [VD-dev new game, 3DS eshop]

Majestad

Banned
It's awesome to see a third party trying to push the system's graphical capabilities, and damn it if they didn't do an amazing job at that. Really impressive stuff.

I'd buy a Gears-ish game for 3DS with online MP day one.

Most impressive parts for me were the rendering on both screens and the amount of characters.
Oh and the fact that the engine was made in assembly. Who the hell uses it these days?

Majestad

Banned
Not sure if you guys would agree, but I think that video deserves a new thread since the current one doesn't mention much about it. Other people should see it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Not sure if you guys would agree, but I think that video deserves a new thread since the current one doesn't mention much about it. Other people should see it.

New thread, you said? I could do it.

OryoN

While it doesn't look much better than RE:R(that's not a bad thing!), it's amazing how much the engine can handle all at once. Larger environments, lots of lights, dynamic lip-sync(online plans?)the number of vertex skinned models, normal maps, DOF, and destruction physics... all at 60fps! That's damn impressive!

Anony

from a technical perspective, nothing short of amazing on the 3ds, specially the dual screen rendering
BUT, the art direction is bad and it looks generic as fuck, if this indeed is going to be the game, i really have no interest in it

Celine

Updated OP with the links for the first footage.

EDIT:
This is meant as a general thread for the game until the official topic.
I'm all for specific thread about the game if they are meaningful (like in this case).

Yanikun

Banned
will there be an online mode?

if so, is this the 3ds shooter we've been waiting for?

They said this:
IronFall has no support for online multiplayer. We are a very small team and were working on the game since more than 2 years now, that will be too much work for us now. But if the game is a success we could start working on this features. The game will have StreetPass capabilities, we are still working on it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
wow, not bad at all. don't like te artstyle, but tech wise seems very good and there ren't many games tpsish on 3ds

Vibranium

Banned
This is insanely awesome, Nintendo should really look at these guys, the fact they can push this out of the hardware is incredible. I'll definitely pick this up on the eshop when available.

My only wish would be some more colour to the artstyle, but it looks great. As close as we'll ever get to Gears of War on the 3DS.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This is insanely awesome, Nintendo should really look at these guys, the fact they can push this out of the hardware is incredible. I'll definitely pick this up on the eshop when available.

My only wish would be so more colour to the artstyle, but it looks great. As close as we'll ever get to Gears of War on the 3DS.

shinen, vd...N should really try to expand their western team portfolio...but if you think about how they somehow lost their strength with kuju, n space but in some degree also next level...

Oregano

I don't think Nintendo should be buying these guys up or anything(especially if they don't want to be bought) but NERD should be working and communicating with these European indie devs.

MikeRox

Absolutely no reason why we can't get a GTA Stories-tier game.

Other than there is a reluctance to put anywhere near the budget needed into that type of game onto a handheld platform now?

Sadly that's the only reason why there is very little on Vita and 3DS anywhere near the scale of even PS2 games :(

A few new screenshots showing off the game's AA from the looks of it (and the names of the screens).

ironfall_1_800x480_beforeaa4x-1.jpg

ironfall_1_400x240_aa4x-1.jpg

ironfall_2_800x480_beforeaa4x-1.jpg

ironfall_2_400x240_aa4x-1.jpg

ironfall_3_800x480_beforeaa4x-1.jpg

ironfall_3_400x240_aa4x-1.jpg

ironfall_4_800x480_beforeaa4x-1.jpg

ironfall_4_400x240_aa4x-1.jpg

So in 2D the game will be running at 800x480 at 60fps? Impressive if the final game keeps it (they did say that if it hit performance too much they'd take it out).

http://nintendoeverything.com/new-ironfall-screenshots/

Takao

Banned
Those second screenshots are not actually from the game, and are just the first screens downsized, right? If not, that's some mighty impressive image quality.

Those second screenshots are not actually from the game, and are just the first screens downsized, right? If not, that's some mighty impressive image quality.

The first images say "before aa" and the second ones say "after aa" so I'm pretty sure the first image is the resolution the scene is actually being rendered at and the second could either be just a downsized version done on a computer after the fact using the original image or taken from the actual game (the downsampled image that we'll actually see displayed on the 3DS's screen at 400x240, which is pretty much the same thing as downsizing the image).

krizzx

I did not believe this possible on the 3DS. Live and learn.

Makes me wonder what would have been possible on the Wii with better devs.

Yanikun

Banned
Imagine what these guys could do on a home console
WiiU

They're licensed Vita and Wii U developers according to their website, though they're not making anything for those platforms at the moment - when someone from the Vita forums asked about a Vita version, they said they're working all day every day on this and will see what they have time to do after that.

Personally I'd like Wii U more than Vita (not for a port, for another game). Might as well do the weakest handheld and weakest home console if you want to be able to show off. No one will be surprised if a Vita game looks great.

I did not believe this possible on the 3DS. Live and learn.

Resident Evil Revelations still looks better. Play it if you haven't.

Top Bottom