• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Fall [VD-dev new game, 3DS eshop]

Celine

VD-dev recently updated their website and stealth announced their new game exclusive to 3DS eshop.
http://vd-dev.com

UPDATE 5:
High quality video:
http://www.vd-dev.com/News/IronFall_Tech_Preview_HighBitrate.zip

Video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg8hDlolN3U

UPDATE 4:
A few new details and some we already knew:

- mini-games and other elements will be included
- take cover in several ways
- action will sometimes take place on both screens
- story is set in the near future
- trouble comes from outer-space
- multiple control schemes, including touch screen and CPP support
- several months were needed to put together the team's “Big Bang Engine”
- development began two years ago
- two staffers have been working on the game for some time
- a third, Watch_Dogs technical lead Frederic Zimmer, joined recently
- set for Spring 2014 launch
- trailer due out this month

http://nintendoeverything.com/vd-dev-shares-first-details-for-its-gears-of-war-styled-3ds-shooter-ironfall/#more-139283

UPDATE 3:

First off screen shot

xkXSRen.jpg

UPDATE 2:

E-mailed them as well:
yep we'll be using anti aliasing in 2d mode. (but if frame rate drops we'll have to remove this feature).
I can't wait to see what the game's going to be like. I really hope they can have both AA and 60 fps, that would be AAmazing.

Emailed the developer:
yep the game will run at 60 fps ;)
SOLD

-------

UPDATE 1:

New infos about the game

The studio confirmed to us that Iron Fall is a third-person shooter. It’s VD-Dev’s first independent project, and has been in development for two years.

Additionally, VD-Dev tells us that the team is “pushing the 3DS to its limits.”

That’s all for now. New details will be shared in about two weeks.
http://nintendoeverything.com/iron-...shooter-vd-dev-pushing-the-3ds-to-its-limits/
----
Aside from the following image, not much is known.
http://www.iron-fall.com/Images/IronFall_logo.jpg

Why to be interested?
Long time fans of Nintendo handheld should be well aware of VD-dev since the two-person developer is responsible for some of the most stunning technical achievements on Nintendo handhelds since the original Game Boy.

Here a brief list:

C.O.P. The Recruit (DS - 2009)
cop0610.jpg

V-Rally 3 (GBA - 2002)
IMAG0007.JPG

Wacky Races (GBC - 1999)
Wacky%20Races%20%282%29.jpg

V-Rally (GB - 1998)
148047-v-rally-championship-edition-game-boy-screenshot-championship.jpg

I will update the OP as more info are available.

Mock if old.

I always meant to get COP. Was it any good?

A sadly subpar gta-like but with an incredible technical engine behind it. They're almost Factor 5 level in their engine optimization, it's just a shame that the gameplay never really stands up. They should get into middleware licensing.

rpmurphy

Gameplay aside, I'd be interested in what they can bring forth, considering that there are already some nice-looking games on the 3DS.

Celine

A sadly subpar gta-like but with an incredible technical engine behind it. They're almost Factor 5 level in their engine optimization, it's just a shame that the gameplay never really stands up. They should get into middleware licensing.
V-Rally 3 is one of the better racing game on GBA.

Wacky Races and V-Rally are good racers for the respective systems.

As for them getting into middleware, I don't think it could work (same for Shin'en).

Yanikun

Banned
I don't need to know anything about this other than who the devs are and that one cool-looking logo. Day one.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

watershed

Banned
COP was an ambitious 3d game on the ds. I wonder if this project will be ambitious in a technical way as well or if they will do something simpler from a technical point of view.

Edit: read further posts, now excited for this.

wrowa

Are they developing games as a hobby? Serious question. I fail to understand how a studio is supposed to stay alive when they've only released two games -- in a decade. And neither of them sold a meaningful amount of copies.

watershed

Banned
Are they developing games as a hobby? Serious question. I fail to understand how a studio is supposed to stay alive when they've only released two games -- in a decade. And neither of them sold a meaningful amount of copies.

Maybe they are independently wealthy. Or just have some really, really understanding financial backers.

It will be interesting to see what they've got cooking. Never got around to playing COP - The Recruit, but given the hardware, it was pretty impressive what they did. One of the few 3D open world games on the DS I think. The only two I can remember are that and the first Transformers movie game.

Gears style game for the 3ds or and edf style game?
I speculated in the September download thread that the text on the website probably tells us what type of game it is. Now that they've confirmed that it's a TPS, ths whole 'take cover' part lends itself to a Gears-style cover shooter.

rjc571

Banned
I wonder if they'll actually be able to achieve 60 fps on the 3DS. COP was 60 fps on the DS, but developers like Renegade Kid and Shin'En have struggled to hit 60 fps on the 3DS even though their DS games ran at 60.

Celine

I wonder if they'll actually be able to achieve 60 fps on the 3DS. COP was 60 fps on the DS, but developers like Renegade Kid and Shin'En have struggled to hit 60 fps on the 3DS even though their DS games ran at 60.
I doubt if it really push the 3DS hard.
I'm more interested if AA is available.

I wonder why they keep developing on Nintendo handhelds, they don't fit that market honestly.
What market do they fit?

Yanikun

Banned
New infos about the game

The studio confirmed to us that Iron Fall is a third-person shooter. It’s VD-Dev’s first independent project, and has been in development for two years.

Additionally, VD-Dev tells us that the team is “pushing the 3DS to its limits.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/iron-...shooter-vd-dev-pushing-the-3ds-to-its-limits/

tumblr_mpwmk3o8Ap1s7mdj8o1_250.gif

Man, I feel like Shahid right now, throwing money at my computer screen. We're already pretty low on games pushing the 3DS to its limits, but we're super low on shooters. Music to my ears. I can't wait anymore. SHOW ME SOME DAMN FOOTAGE AND GIVE ME A RELEASE DATE NOW!

Love those guys. I remember V-Rally and V-Rally 3 very well. I'm really glad to see we still have some Western devs bringing the good stuff to the 3DS. The eShop is becoming a fantastic place for the 3DS library. Unlike at retail, you can get decent racing games for cheap on it. We're gonna get our first FPS on it. We're gonna get our first free-roaming platformer running at 60 fps on it. All from Western devs.

Thank God for self-publishing.

Oh my...my hype just went through the roof.

I'd be ok with VD becoming the Gameloft of the eshop. I'm already ready to give them my money for this title. Racing game next please.

wrowa

Yeah but a realistic racing game or a realistic TPS is not the way to go.

Eh. Similar to Shin'en VD-Dev probably consists of just a handful of people, who are first and foremost interested in getting the most out of weak hardware.

Yanikun

Banned

Maybe I should have specified "with free-roaming levels," as JRII has both linear and free-roaming levels.

Shin’en’s Manfred Linzner told us that it “was quite a challenge to make that in 60fps”, but the folks at the studio “like a good challenge.” Linzner believes that Jett Rocket II “is the only game that has free roaming 3D levels in 60fps/stereo on 3DS.”

In one interview he said Mario 3D Land was a good game but the 30 fps hurt it for him.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Lol VD snigger fnar fnar, ahem actually these guys and shin'en need to make a game together (game engine( with wayforward doing the artwork and image and form doing the gameplay design

Top Bottom