• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Fall [VD-dev new game, 3DS eshop]

krizzx

Resident Evil Revelations still looks better. Play it if you haven't.

I'd have to disagree with that. Revelations certainly looked nice, but it was piled into cramped corridors with little environmental detail. Anyone can make things look really nice if there isn't a whole lot more going on.

Technically, that is what I'd always expected giving the 3DS's hardware feature set.

This game is using a large amount of effects simultaneously in large open areas with far more entities on screen at once textures with a with far more variability and a much higher fidelity.

This games tech demo dwarfs anything I've seen on the 3DS to date by a large margin. Its yet to be seen if the final product holds up though.

I remember the GOW2 tech demo showcasing a plethora of enemies on screen at once but the final game coudn't pull off a 4th of those number in actual real time combat with other things going on onscreen.

EDIT:

Looking through the video again, I can see why its pulling off so much. Its made in 100% assembly language.

Also they are pulling off 7million polygons per second at 60 FPS. Certainly not GameCube levels (GC pulled of 20million at 60fps) but it is impressive.

I think we may have another Shin'en here.

Just a few small tidbits coming from their Facebook page:

Game is now 30fps in 3D, 60fps in 2D
We have decided to have the game running at 30 fps when the 3d slider is turned on, and 60 fps when it is turned off (in real time), that allows us to put a lot of enemies (sometime 30 or 40 enemies, at 60 fps. If the game is a success we will work on the multiplayer

6-7 Hours for Completion, 10-20 for 100%, Extra Modes
Hi, our goal is to have a main campaign between 6 and 7 hours (you'll have a lot of things to do), we are also working on game modes (available when the main campaign is finished), a 100% walkthrough of the game will take between 10 and 20 hours

Zomba13

Really looking forward to this. It might not turn out to be the best game but even so it'll look amazing for a 3DS title and worth it to see it in person and support devs actually getting the most out of systems.

rjc571

Banned
totally worth it if that means 30-40 enemies on screen at times.

really impressive

No, it is totally not worth sacrificing the game's playability in 3D mode just so they could shove more enemies on the screen. Having more enemies doesn't make the gameplay fundamentally better, running at a higher fps does.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No, it is totally not worth sacrificing the game's playability in 3D mode just so they could shove more enemies on the screen. Having more enemies doesn't make the gameplay fundamentally better, running at a higher fps does.

it depends on the game genre.
we'll see in this case, but up to now it seems very solid tech-wise.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
if it's a solid 30 with 3D turned on it will still be perfectly playable.

the game doesn't look like it'll be a twitch shooter, and I imagine the number of enemies is also related to the game's design, therefore effecting gameplay too.

I don't think they decided to go with a higher enemy count just as an added bulletpoint. They wouldn't have done it unless they felt it improved the gameplay.

L~A

You actually forgot an important tidbit :

Hi, In the menu we have added an option that allows you to play the game at 30 fps (in 2D) with antialasing 4x. Thats cool for the 3ds XL owners

Yanikun

Banned

Playing the game in 3D doesn't make the gameplay fundamentally better either. If it's choosing between sacrificing the 3D effect or sacrificing crucial game elements like enemy count, to me it's an easy choice. Play the game in 2D, problem solved.

You actually forgot an important tidbit :

Hi, In the menu we have added an option that allows you to play the game at 30 fps (in 2D) with antialasing 4x. Thats cool for the 3ds XL owners

Nice! I'm tired of aliasing and the 3DS XL's screen sucks. As our framerate-obsessed friend above mentioned, 60 fps is more important, but Resident Evil Revelations wasn't 60 fps and it did not bother me.

I'd have to disagree with that. Revelations certainly looked nice, but it was piled into cramped corridors with little environmental detail. Anyone can make things look really nice if there isn't a whole lot more going on.

How much more power-demanding IronFall is compared with Revelations is irrelevant to a graphics discussion. Even if it's easier for Revelations to look nicer because it takes place in tighter environments, at the end of the day it still looks nicer.

Besides, I think the closeness of the environments in Revelations is blown out of proportion. There are quite a few large environments in the game.

krizzx

How much more power-demandingIronFall is compared with Revelations is irrelevant to a graphics discussion. Even if it's easier for Revelations to look nicer because it takes place in tighter environments, at the end of the day it still looks nicer.

Besides, I think the closeness of the environments in Revelations is blown out of proportion. There are quite a few large environments in the game.

I don't see how you came to this conclusion. Power is never irrelevant in anything that has to do with electronic hardware. Whether it be graphics or otherwise.

Ironfall not only looks better to me, but it does it on a larger scale.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Still looking forward to this. it'll be nice when we get a concrete date.

So is online multiplayer a sure thing? It'll be cool if we can have a GAF game when it launches!

XPE

Still looking forward to this. it'll be nice when we get a concrete date.

So is online multiplayer a sure thing? It'll be cool if we can have a GAF game when it launches!

It wont have multiplayer at launch, which is unfortunate as the amount of enemy ai it can have on screen would make for a great survival mode.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The 30 fps switch doesn't bother me so long as it runs like silk and doesn't drop lower than thirty, plus the gameplay and design are awesome.
When is release date likely to be ?

Zornica

Banned
The 30 fps switch doesn't bother me so long as it runs like silk and doesn't drop lower than thirty, plus the gameplay and design are awesome.
When is release date likely to be ?

probably around summertime?
Seems like they are progressing quickly.

Top Bottom