• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One practically unusable without day one update

GQman2121

Banned
Best Buy is loving this. I can just picture the contests they're going to be running for staff who can sucker people into paying them for this update.

Yes I am joking, fairies come and communicate your prl info, user info, plan info...

Sorry, but not all phones need to establish a internet connection (through wifi or 3G/4G connections) to do the initial setup. Some don't even need a SIM card to boot to setup and use it as a device to store whatever you want and use apps.

DrLazy

I remember getting the first NES on my 2nd birthday, unwrapping the box, asking my dad to plug it into the TV, then waiting an hour as we watched a progress bar for our patch to download. Memories.

kyser73

They should really release the update on disc alongside their launch games. Even PS4

Logistically extremely hard & very costly.

It also means that when the disc update is done they can't do any more work on the FW update on the disc. By keeping it as a download they can keep on working on updates until the testing deadline (which presumably would be maybe 5 days prior to launch - feel free to correct me on this anyone).

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Will they have a place to pre-download this before launch? That way people can just put it on a USB stick and not have to download it from the crushed servers?

Mudkips

Banned
I don't even understand how it's hard to push content out to millions of users.
Just use Bittorrent. Make the users store a permanent copy of the latest patch for 72 hours so they can help distribute it. You only need a handful of servers hosting the shit permanently. Blizzard does it for WoW updates.

Zaphod

I will be impressed if people don't have issues downloading the patch on launch day. I suppose it's a calculated risk though since many die hards that wait in line and buy on day one will just forgive and forget.

Hopefully everyone doesn't try download the update at the same time, because that would be a disaster.
You know Time Zones are a thing right? Download will probably take 20 minutes at most. Everyone hour will consist of a different Time Zone downloading, and not even everybody, just Mid Night launch goers.

Then everyone else will have a go at the download during the day. Should be fine.

Fully expected but disappointing

Rather disappointed in the PS4's out of box feature set but at least I can play games on it

You know Time Zones are a thing right? Download will probably take 20 minutes at most. Everyone hour will consist of a different Time Zone downloading, and not even everybody, just Mid Night launch goers.

Then everyone else will have a go at the download during the day. Should be fine.
I played Diablo 3 at launch; time zones didn't matter, I couldn't even get logged in.

Problems are always going to happen when you have millions of people trying to connect at once. I imagine the problems will be amplified as they're all trying to download a mandatory update.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I didn't have internet when I bought a 360 on launch day. But this a total nonissue, amirite?

Oh, and I have a cousin who went Xbox only the last two gens with neither console connected.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Good thing everyone in the world is downloading on a set schedule.

Come on man.

FranXico

you know we are in 2013 (more 2014)...

if you havent a connection i suggest you to give up on gaming expecially on ps4 and xb1

Fortunately for everybody, there are consoles that can play games without an internet connection: the 360, the PS3, the Wii, the Wii U and... the PS4!

Fortunately for everybody, there are consoles that can play games without an internet connection: the 360, the PS3, the Wii, the Wii U and... the PS4!

people can play XBONE without internet as well. They just need to wait for the next batch that will include the patch onboard.

I didn't have internet when I bought a 360 on launch day. But this a total nonissue, amirite?

Well I would assume both offer some form of updating without the internet right?

From the PS4 FAQ

What if I’m not able to or don’t want to connect my PS4 system online?

PS4 owners in North America can contact SCEA Consumer Services at (800) 345-7669 to request a Blu-ray activation disc that will be distributed via mail.

Curious if that disk just includes the blu-ray functionality though or if its FW 1.5

who cares? the update is there day one, so no one has to use it in its "unusable" state

I lll bet you quite a few 56k users from rural areas will return theirs not knowing this vital information. I've met people already who didn't know and can't get Internet where they live in West Virginia.

So they are selling a console that doesn't even work without internet? I hope they are putting some sort of a big disclaimer on the box saying this thing wont work without a patch. Else I see a strong case for lawsuit.

Top Bottom