• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Illusion of Gaia 20th Anniversary Thread

Celine

S0Be9aZ.jpg

On November 27, 1993 Enix published Gaia Gensōki (ガイア幻想紀) in Japan for the Super Famicom.

The game developed by Quintet would later be distributed by Nintendo in America, Europe and Australia either under the name Illusion of Gaia or Illusion of Time.
Being the game pushed by Nintendo in the west it is no surprise that it was quite popular in those regions, even more than the revered Secret of Mana.

This thread is dedicated to Tomoyoshi Miyazaki, he vanished as mysteriously as Quintet did in early 2000.
1rmz2BK.png

JHNZszd.gif

Developed by
6CH5MCB.jpg

Key members:

LkugjUP.jpg
Moto Hagio (萩尾 望都)
Moto Hagio is a manga artist known as a founding member of the shōjo genre.
She did character design for Illusion of Gaia and as you can see below it is very different (and very shōjo) from the arts american and eurpean players got in their manuals.

KHJtIF8.jpg
Mariko Ōhara (大原まり子)
Mariko Ōhara is a science fiction novelist who was responsible for the story in Illusion of Gaia.

Guw6R3s.jpg
Yasuhiro Kawasaki (川崎康宏)
He is the man behind the excellent original soundtrack in Illusion of Gaia, of which you can listen a few samples below.
His most recent work was the soundtrack of Dokuro for Playstation Vita.

BBdRpF6.jpg
Tomoyoshi Miyazaki (宮崎 友好)
For Quintet fans he shouldn't need any description as the man co-founded with Masaya Hashimoto Quintet in the late '80 after they left Nihon Falcom.
He is responsible for the design/scenario of most Quintet games so if you feel strongly nostalgic towards some of their games Miyazaki is probably one of the main responsible for it.

Character design in the various manuals:

Japanese manual
JA2PrHV.jpg

American/European manual
vtoaG2L.jpg

French manual
pHDV6gs.jpg

Music
A few music samples from Illusion of Gaia soundtrack

Returned memory
Title theme
World map
Town theme
Sky garden
Shiwreck theme
Ending theme 1
Ending theme 2
Dark space
Boss battle

Illusion of Gaia World Map
yG926gi.png

Connection with the other Quintet RPG
Turbo the Dog is everywhere (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Robotrek, Terranigma)
ebhs0B1.jpg
SIcdr3G.jpg

bWZer1W.jpg
EzVbA1R.jpg

Beta title screen
eDniERt.png

ZfnkVZs.jpg
Shipment numbers provided by Quintet
ZfnkVZs.jpg

Gaia Gensoki / Illusion of Gaia / Illusion of Time
JP: 200,000
NA: 300,000
EU: 150,000

Advertisement

Japanese TV commercial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOW3JXXhM1s

US Print Ad
Bonus
Rare Quintet english interview around 1997 when they were , with Game Arts, one of the most prestigious member of GD-Net:

Japanese interview
tsG69gR.jpg

Some other JIFs:

H9dPhWp.gif

p2ZwTb0.gif

0Wx9tzT.gif

FkiQg6F.gif

lSOXPoe.gif

GIo7LGV.gif

Clan of the Grey Wolf's review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJmn1rhPook
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3r59RgF-4g

Other GAF anniversary thread:
Metroid's 25th anniversary
Secret of Mana's 20th anniversary

This thread was powered by
GASa1.jpg
6VPGQ9s.gif

RaikuHebi

Banned
I recently watched a Youtube video about the history of this game and the others in the series. Looks like phenomenal stuff and is on my "play before I die" list.

Here is the video in question, from ClanOfTheGrayWolf's 16-bit Gems series: (all his videos are highly recommended).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJmn1rhPook

I envy those of you that grew up with the SNES. Best console ever for sure.

entremet

I adored this game. One of my favs of the 16bit era. Loved the music. Rented it like crazy to beat. Never got all the gems, though.

I wish we got a VC release :(

GulAtiCa

I've yet to beat the game. Really need to go back and finish it. Prob need to restart. Soul Blazer is the favorite of the series for me. Always replaying it.

Wish Terranigma was published here, but it wasn't. :( One day I'll have to import the PAL version and PAL SNES to play it right.

monlo

This game is not that long, too. I'd say it's about 5 hours if you rush through. There is a collectible of red gems (iirc) that you can 100% along the way... which gets you the best ending. You can miss some of the gems and never get a chance to get them again, too, so it's worth replaying for that other ending.

This game was underrated because it competed with Lagoon at the time, which was touted as a poor man's LTTP. I personally loved all three.

Great game, with a few highly memorable scenes. I would personally recommend this to anyone who likes action adventure games like LTTP.

Wow, I played that series so much (Terranigma on Emu) and I still play it from time to time. I actually mentioned it in the franchises I'd like to see revived thread.

I remember fondly

ElFly

I should replay this and get all the damned gems to open the final store or whatever the guy was hiding.

Celine

This game is not that long, too. I'd say it's about 5 hours if you rush through. There is a collectible of red gems (iirc) that you can 100% along the way... which gets you the best ending. You can miss some of the gems and never get a chance to get them again, too, so it's worth replaying for that other ending.

This game was underrated because it competed with Lagoon at the time, which was touted as a poor man's LTTP. I personally loved all three.

Great game, with a few highly memorable scenes. I would personally recommend this to anyone who likes action adventure games like LTTP.
Really!? I thought it just give you an optional dungeon, with a cool boss for Quintet fans (eh eh).

Great job OP

I remember watching my older brother play this one back in the day. I have never played any of the Soul Blazer games, and this is the only one I own (it's in my back log). I still want to track down the others and play them in the proper order.

Lagoon sucked because your weapon had zero range even if you could swing it rapid fire.

Illusion of Gaia is my favorite game of all time, not the best game I've ever played (that's Chrono Trigger) but still an incredible experience etched into my mind.

Fisico

One of the rare game I bothered playing again years after and still manage to finish it every time.
The OST, the plot and the setting were absolutely fantastic.

Excellent game. I play it every couple of years. The wind blowing through Will's hair as shown in that gif really captivated me as a kid. You know you have a great game on your hands when you remember small details like that for your entire life. The raft scene, Great Wall, and boss rush are all very memorable too.

thomaser

The Angkor Wat area really fired up my imagination when I first played it. Became obsessed with the real Angkor Wat afterwards.

I loved the game, but really disliked the unmissable gems. Because of that, it's probably third among the three great Quintet titles for me. It's definitely first in atmosphere, though.

D-e-f-

Banned
I still need to finish this. All I can remember from my aborted playthrough is that I got past the part with the raft.

An amazing game with an amazing soundtrack. It was also fairly deep, story wise. Maybe even moreso than the Squaresoft stuff that was out at the time.

EasyMode

Hell of a game. Picked it up on a whim back in the day and loved it.

Same here. I fell in love the ancient settings and the music that captured their mood so well.

Oh, and LOL @ Seth's artwork. I always had a hard time visualizing what he was supposed to look like. When I was a kid I thought his sprite made him look like a rodent.

Effect

This game along with Soul Blazer were in my top 5 most replayed games on the SNES. I loved this game. Speaking of the t-shirt I think I ended up with that as well when I got the game. That or maybe I got it form Nintendo Power. I do remember getting something like this very close to the game but no cue as to what happen to it. Maybe it didn't fit or it got tossed as I got older somehow.

Sucks SE never put this or the other two games in the series on VC. I remember playing this game for 7-9 hours straight one time as a kid when I was sick with the flu, really need to replay it again one of these days.

I'd love if someone did a re-translation of the game at some point as it was obvious Enix mistranslated parts of it.

Heysoos

Man, I loved this game. The booklet that was included was extremely detailed too. Otherwise I don't think I would have been able to find all the gems and that secret boss.

Maedhros

Freaking amazing OP!

Soul Blaze/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma is what made me like Action J-RPGs much more than turn based ones.

StAidan

Nice game. I only played through it once back in the day, but I think I found all the gems. I remember hoping for a more Zelda-like experience when I saw it on the rental shelf, but even though it wasn't, I enjoyed it a lot in its own right.

Really great music, too.

Seanspeed

Banned
Never quite understood the love for this. I had fun with it, but its not one of those games from the era that I think back on and get drunk with nostalgia over.

Nice OP, though.

deleted

Played the game way back when a friend traded for another SNES game for a few weeks - It was amazing, even if I never managed to play the whole way through the game. It was one of the games that came with an official guide IIRC..

Nohar

This game is fantastic. I feel so nostalgic just by listening to its incredible music. Great OP!

Man, I had the French Manual, but it vanished somewhere unknown during my childhood... I really wish I still have it :( I wonder if there exists a .pdf version somewhere available on the internet.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I'm hoping when the Square Enix crowdfunding thing kicks off it gives us the chance to push for the release of old Enix titles on Wii U and 3DS Virtual Console. I'll probably replace the battery in my old Illusion of Time cart and give it a fresh play when I'm not so busy. Some day I will own Terranigma too.

Jaykay

I was so happy the year I got this for my birthday as a kid. It was always just fun to play, and one of my favorites from the SNES years.

Loved the game, art and message of the game back in the day but some parts of the actual gameplay and leveldesign gave me strong headaches.

Top Bottom