• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Illusion of Gaia 20th Anniversary Thread

hongcha

I got this game soon after it was released in NA. I beat it, but I didn't think it was that great. Good, but not great. I remember it being a decent challenge, though. Maybe my impression would be different if I played it again today. Why isn't this on the VC???

Eusis

I got this game soon after it was released in NA. I beat it, but I didn't think it was that great. Good, but not great. I remember it being a decent challenge, though. Maybe my impression would be different if I played it again today. Why isn't this on the VC???
Because seemingly once they got Actraiser 1 on the VC Square Enix decided they put up enough Quintet games and called it a day.

Actually the Enix side of their old catalog has been mostly no shows on these services, frustratingly. Granted Enix was primarily a publisher rather than a developer, but couldn't they arrange with the developers to get this stuff on? Assuming that is Square Enix doesn't straight up own this stuff and thus it's a moot point?

I enjoyed this less than Soulblazer but it was still a great, great game. I'd love to see the trilogy remade on 3DS, especially since I never got to play part 3...

Impressive OP!!!

Illusion of Gaia is one of my favorite SNES games of all time. I wish I still had my copy. Fast paced action, a great story, some really deep themes. It deserves a bit more than a cult following.

Oh, it also has one of the most bizzare yet still heartbreaking scenes in gaming.
"The air is filled with the aroma of roasted Hamlet."

I have the ending and credits themes on my iPod and they still choke me up to this day, given how grand the whole adventure is and what happens in the ending.

GOD WHAT A GAME.

tearsofash

This is quite possibly one of my earliest or best childhood RPG memories. One summer my dad rented it, and I watched him play it. Decades later I tried playing and it and I didn't even need lasik because my nostalgia goggle worked just fine! It's still really addicting.

Miguel81

This game was great, I have such fond memories of it. The ship coming out of the cave into the sunlight, with the ocean in the background was a memorable scene.

120v

So...what then happened to Quintet and where in the world is Tomoyoshi Miyazaki???

i could be wrong but i think most of the key people in quintet are still around working on different things. and miyazaki is god knows where

i still hold out hope there'll be another game in the soulblazer series. i mean i know it's way unlikely... but the destruction/creation theme leads to so many untapped gameplay possibilities. i'd love something like the first soulblazer or terranigma where the world is created as you progress

I fucking loved this game so much. Soundtrack was amazing, I'd love to see an orchestral mix of it.

It's a goddamned shame that Squeenix seems to have forgotten about this series.

Rpgmonkey

This game is actually one of the few SNES cartridges I have that hasn't been lost, broken, or sold, haha. Been a while since I played it, but its gameplay is surprisingly still pretty unique even compared to the real-time/action-RPGs of today, so I'd probably still enjoy it. And that's not even considering stuff like the art and music.

I would've liked to see what else they could do with this series and its themes over time, but at least they managed to get three games out of it.

Did anyone else sometimes use Will for segments that you're meant to use Freedan on (ie bosses,) just for the challenge?

Eric actually had a different line if you talked to him after killing the vampires as Will (since if you do that he doesn't find out that Will can shapeshift.)

I think I still have my copy but maaan it really has been a long time, I don't even really remember much of it though I think I was a touch underwhelmed though I played it after FFIII/VI, Chrono Trigger and other classic SNES RPGs so that was probably it. I should go look and see if I still have it... Oh how I wish Nintendo released their games in plastic cases and not cheap ass cardboard. I'd still have it, the manual and whatever else came in the boxes for all my old games. =/

Nope, don't have it anymore, damn. I do for some reason have Eye of the Beholder...

Celine

7dsWpDM.png

On October 20, 1995 Enix published Tenchi Sōzō (天地創造) in Japan for the Super Famicom.

The game, known in the west as Terranigma (which in italian could mean "riddle of the Earth"), was developed by Quintet and would later be distributed by Nintendo in Europe and Australia around late 1996 or early 1997.
Terranigma was never released in North America probably due to the waning 16 bit market, which is a real shame since Terranigma is the finest Action RPG on SNES and one of the best game ever created.

3PO088d.gif

This thread is dedicated to Tomoyoshi Miyazaki, he vanished as mysteriously as Quintet did in early 2000.
1rmz2BK.png

Developed by
6gSc2jJ.png

Artwork by Kamui Fujiwara

NAtgwwR.jpg

CuwnpSb.jpg

Character Art by Kamui Fujiwara

cuMurjd.jpg

K1VrcfJ.jpg

German comic

WkwtQZ4.jpg

n96KfPp.jpg

HgNGMDV.jpg

Music
A few music samples from Terranigma soundtrack

Light and darkness
Hometown
Unforseen occurence
Dark side field
Elle's theme
Light side field
Undergrounds-dungeons
Evergreen
Top of saint mountain
Sanctuar
Fukan
Willful lion
Revival of human being
Europe
Wandering spirits
Race in mushrooms
Call at a port
Genius'playground
A hero's final day
Ending theme
Final Battle

ZfnkVZs.jpg
Shipment numbers provided by Quintet
ZfnkVZs.jpg

Tenchi Sōzō / Terranigma
JP: 200,000
NA: Never released
EU: NA

Advertisement

Japanese TV commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C6Csecv6nQ

JP Print Ad

Italian Nintendo Catalogue ’96-’97

Bonus
Rare Quintet english interview around 1997 when they were , with Game Arts, one of the most prestigious member of GD-Net:

Must read old Quintet interviews translated by Shmuplations:
http://shmuplations.com/quintet/

Japanese interview
tsG69gR.jpg

Some other JIFs:

Elle's wise words need to be kept in mind

Y8a1rx4.png

If anyone need the confirmation that Terranigma was the spiritual sequel of Illusion of Gaia

IiQ6dad.png

Terranigma manga by Yasaka Mamiko

180.jpg
i50412.jpg

Clan of the Grey Wolf's review
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Other GAF anniversary thread:
Illusion of Gaia's 20th anniversary
Chrono Trigger's 20th anniversary
Metroid's 25th anniversary
Secret of Mana's 20th anniversary

This thread was powered by
GASa1.jpg
6VPGQ9s.gif

Ourobolus

Banned
I am always reminded of Mu for some reason when I think of this game. I feel like I was there forever when I played it for the first time.

Did anyone else sometimes use Will for segments that you're meant to use Freedan on (ie bosses,) just for the challenge?

Eric actually had a different line if you talked to him after killing the vampires as Will (since if you do that he doesn't find out that Will can shapeshift.)

Yep, I did that. Loved that you could. Fighting the Vampires with just Will was SO HARD, but really rewarding when you finally beat them. I think they each had 20 HP, and their defense was high enough that Will could only do 1 damage per hit even at his max possible level at that point! Besides that, they were too fast to be worth trying to hit with Psycho Dash, though I remember Psycho Slider granting so you so many invincibility frames that you could score multiple hits without taking any damage yourself.

Because Square doesn't remember Enix put out games other than Dragon Quest.

You're acting like it's just the Enix side that they've done that with- when's the last time they acknowledged that Squaresoft made games other than Final Fantasy in the 80s/90s?

Top Bottom