• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X -Will- and FFX-2.5 plot discussion thread [Up2: Uh, um, errr, see OP]

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Also, personal opinions and all that, but I refuse to believe there is someone out there who will be crazy enough to defend this.

No way, no way.

Zoe

Calling bullshit on the Blitzbomb. If something like that happened 2 days after Tidus was resurrected, it would have been brought up (or at least hinted at) in Last Mission or the audio drama, which both take place after.

That gif is amazing, though. :D
It was said outright that something was wrong with him in the drama.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
SE: making horrible decisions since 2003.

You are going to have to adjust that number. They made Chrono Cross and released it in 1998.

Also this whole thing just sounds terrible. Can I just have a Final Fantasy where the quest is to save Square-Enix from a poison that has been infecting it? The final dungeon is in the Square-Enix Headquarters. Defeating the final boss deletes The Lightning Saga, FFX-2.5, and the FF iOS/Android ports from existence. FF7HD Remake, FFXV, and Chrono Trigger 2 get released to rave reviews.

spirity

Also, personal opinions and all that, but I refuse to believe there is someone out there who will be crazy enough to defend this.

No way, no way.

People will make excuses for Square Enix for as long as they can remember the PS1/2 days, even though that company just doesn't exist anymore. This is pretty much what happens in every Final Fantasy thread, and will continue to happen until people let go of the past.

I don't mean to be a dick to anyone here, but you have to come to terms with whats been going on. Cherish your memories, because you will not be getting a game of the calibre of FF6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 12 again. Thats the past, and its a different time now. There's just a bunch of old dudes at SE that aren't really sure what the fuck they're doing, won't listen to anyone, and should have been put out to pasture years ago. This new decade is proving to be extremely cruel to SE and will continue to do so until they get the old guard the hell out. Until they get some new blood in senior roles, you're going to see a continued stream of stupid coming from SE.

Mesoian

Really? Why on earth should you take this so personally. You can't change the way people are feeling about this. I admire your optimism, and as a huge fan of X and X-2, I wish I could share in it, but Square-Enix need to give me something where I can say "yes, that's a great starting point for a sequel." Sadly the novel nor the audio log seem to do that.

There are simply too many jarring juxtapositions, that it leaves me with little faith that a sequel to FFX and FFX-2 would do the originals justice. I simply can't get behind them bringing Sin back, as if it's no small thing. You basically undermine the entire point of X and X-2. The Eternal Calm should be sacrosanct. Create a new antagonist. FFX-2 did a good job of showing the aftermath of a suppressed society abusing its new found freedom. There's still so much to explore within that idea rather than "The Un-Eternal Calm Part Two : Sin Is Back. And This Time He's Pissed."

I think she's referring more to the posts that are of the tone of, "You liked FF10? You liked FF10-2?!? You are a bad person with poor taste"

14 minutes into the Audio Novel and I have to say, it's not bad.

Edit: Finished it. On the whole, it wasn't bad. The dialogue was better than I expected, it was no where near as derpy as the OP made it sound, and overall it wasn't bad. Yeah, the whole "I'm seeing someone else" came out of seemingly no where and was awkwardly handled and bringing back sin is a bit suspect, but it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. As for the novel... I'll just wait and see.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dude, you just need to look harder. There're still good JRPG being put out there. Off the top of my head, there's:

Bravely Default
Tales of Xillia 1,2
Tales of Graces f
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Lost Odyssey
The Last Story
Xenoblade Chronicles
Drakengard 3
Radiant Historia
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
The World Ends With You
The Last Remnant

...and the list goes on.
Well to be fair to them, this is a list over the past 6 years, and some of it is up in the air now.

Lost Odyssey
The Last Story
Mistwalker is basically dead and only making cheapy quickplay iOS games anymore.
The Last Remnant
Kawazu has been window seated and only works on social games now.
Radiant Historia
This has been MIA for a long time now.
The World Ends With You
This has also been MIA sans an iOS port and a new Mobage social game.
Tales of Xillia 1,2/Tales of Graces f
Xenoblade Chronicles
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Bravely Default
These ones are unquestionably still going.
Drakengard 3
This did just come out. I'm a bit questioning whether Square Enix will still make more given their recent behavior, but I'm putting it down here as there's no publicly facing reason to believe they're not yet.

It's not bad. It's a comedy. I'm in firm belief that Final Fantasy X is a comedy series. Because I don't think any sane rational person actually liked FFX for its stellar storyline.

I loved FFX story line. I believe I am both sane and rationale. FFX ending... oh my them feels, them feels.

Just finished listening to the audio drama. I must say after this giant thread I went into this with zero expectations of liking it. All and all, I must say it's really not that bad. Nothing worse than dialogue or story in FFX, or FFX-2. Now... the novel.

Mexi

Banned
The only good thing about new Final Fantasy games is the music and to be honest, the recent ost has been pretty sub-par compared with previous Final Fantasy games but is good nonetheless

MogCakes

sure, opinions, but there is a reason because people do that. you might like and enjoy the whole FFXIII saga but it doesn't change the fact that it's awful

Sure. Opinions. That was my point dude. I don't understand why you're trying to turn this around into a 'you like XIII? EEEWWWWW' insult. SHOCKING NEWS: people like different things, opinions will be countered with opinions. The reason people assert their opinion as a generally agreed fact - that's BS.

Heh yea having an opinion is one thing, liking something that is so bad there are no words to describe it, is something completely different.

If you mean XIII (and XII) you can kiss my tiny moogle butt. If you mean the novella in the OP, I agree.

You are going to have to adjust that number. They made Chrono Cross and released it in 1998.

WHAT. Chrono Cross is awesome.

Zoe

Just finished listening to the audio drama. I must say after this giant thread I went into this with zero expectations of liking it. All and all, I must say it's really not that bad. Nothing worse than dialogue or story in FFX, or FFX-2. Now... the novel.

It's probably wise to not be so quick to judge the novel's plot either. For instance, it seems like some of the earlier details like the part about fayth creation are actually in the B plot instead.

It's probably wise to not be so quick to judge the novel's plot either. For instance, it seems like some of the earlier details like the part about fayth creation are actually in the B plot instead.

Yeah I know. A lot of the details have been overblown at this point.

I think she's referring more to the posts that are of the tone of, "You liked FF10? You liked FF10-2?!? You are a bad person with poor taste"

I guess. It's a shame to take those posts to heart. They mean nothing and contribute little to the thread. They're easily ignored.

FFX-2 is rather underrated, not only in terms of its amazing battle system, but the pure kitsch factor it exudes. It's unashamedly camp, has a soundtrack that's much better than people give it credit for and has a very solid antagonist in Shuyin. My only disappointment is that they fail to tie all the threads they wove in the first three chapters together during the games final chapter. I can't wait to play these games again next year.

oni_saru

Okay so watched the Will drama CD translated. It's not that bad. Yuna and Tidus are still a couple in the beginning but with Sin coming back decides to dump him. Probably so she can figure out how to defeat Sin/stop the un-beckoned souls without compromising Tidus since based on the novel Tidus is technically not back for real. She's still Tidus boo but in order to save Tidus she can't be near him thus the lame break up.

That could be interesting. Still a bit annoyed at the Tidus not being real thing. *sigh*

Chuami is annoying as hell. Really hope she turns out not to be Auron's daughter.

oni_saru

Thanks.

That doesn't surprise me too much. Nier was Wada's pet project, so I imagine Drakengard 3 was as well, and he's no longer the CEO.

Well Nier was Cavia's last game and Yoko Taro left gaming almost completely after Cavia went down (he briefly helped on a mobile game iirc). It was kind of obvious with DoD3's announcement that being employed by SE would be temporary. He was only back to work on his baby.

zanyu

As many others, I watched the translated version, and like many have stated, it was blown was out of proportion.

Theories and other stuff:
Also the whole Auron daughter thing, seems very unlikely. In X-2 it was revealed he wouldn't marry just some any old random woman, and he never mentioned a girl he liked/loved. He was a monk and just seem absolutely devoted to Braska and Jecht.

All I can think of is something they pull from Arthurian legends, where Lancelot was never a womanizer of sorts, but still had banged a nun and had their son Galahad.

I think the common theory of Yuna's breakup just being fake to protect Tidus will hold true, unless there's something absolutely we don't know/expect. There was a line of dialogue where if Sin came back, it doesn't stop anything else coming back. Possibly hinting that the fayth can come back as aeons.

This could be really awesome take, it could potentially mean we see Jecht, Braska, Auron, Seymour, Yunalesca, all come back in some way.

My theory on the ending to the whole series is that Tidus will have to stay dead, as Yuna lives her life without him. As much as I love the feel good of the 'perfect' ending. I always thought maturing, accepting death is a part of life, was always the most appropriate. They might even 'destroy' the farplane, and lead into a FF7 cross over again, and just say, summoners are no longer needed, as people who die just become part of the planet life force.

Then super secret ending/trailer of FF7 remake/sequel.

oni_saru

As many others, I watched the translated version, and like many have stated, it was blown was out of proportion.

Theories and other stuff:
Also the whole Auron daughter thing, seems very unlikely. In X-2 it was revealed he wouldn't marry just some any old random woman, and he never mentioned a girl he liked/loved. He was a monk and just seem absolutely devoted to Braska and Jecht.

All I can think of is something they pull from Arthurian legends, where Lancelot was never a womanizer of sorts, but still had banged a nun and had their son Galahad.

I think the common theory of Yuna's breakup just being fake to protect Tidus will hold true, unless there's something absolutely we don't know/expect. There was a line of dialogue where if Sin came back, it doesn't stop anything else coming back. Possibly hinting that the fayth can come back as aeons.

This could be really awesome take, it could potentially mean we see Jecht, Braska, Auron, Seymour, Yunalesca, all come back in some way.

My theory on the ending to the whole series is that Tidus will have to stay dead, as Yuna lives her life without him. As much as I love the feel good of the 'perfect' ending. I always thought maturing, accepting death is a part of life, was always the most appropriate. They might even 'destroy' the farplane, and lead into a FF7 cross over again, and just say, summoners are no longer needed, as people who die just become part of the planet life force.

Or it could be a
Pinochio story in which Yuna and crew find a way for Tidus to be a real boy/man!

Judging by how some are saying Yuna seems depressed/broken in the novels, I don't think she'll be able to accept Tidus dying. She may end up just dying with him. Possibly the life force ending you speak of could end with her joining Tidus in the lifestream where they can be truly together.

Also I don't think accepting Tidus death will happen. Because if that were so X would have just ended without the extra scene at the end, without X2 perfect endings. If they go that route they would truly undue all they did. SE is probably not ready to do that. Look at the FFXIII trilogy.

Or it could be a
Pinochio story in which Yuna and crew find a way for Tidus to be a real boy/man!

Judging by how some are saying Yuna seems depressed/broken in the novels, I don't think she'll be able to accept Tidus dying. She may end up just dying with him. Possibly the life force ending you speak of could end with her joining Tidus in the lifestream where they can be truly together.

Also I don't think accepting Tidus death will happen. Because if that were so X would have just ended without the extra scene at the end, without X2 perfect endings. If they go that route they would truly undue all they did. SE is probably not ready to do that. Look at the FFXIII trilogy.

Yuna and Tidus both die together...

crying-waterfalls.gif

zanyu

Or it could be a

Despite what I initially thought about X-2 when I first played, it turned out to be extremely enjoyable with a likeable storyline. (Although the whole girl band j-pop thing was not to my liking) I'll hold high hopes to X-3 and isn't repetitive or complete utter crap.

Yuna really has a shitty life. Both parents die. She's raised to be a summoner which means she was literally being trained to be a sacrifice. Her entire religion is a lie. Her boyfriend dies, she has to kill her aeons/friends. She kills them again in X-2. Tidus comes back, just to die again (novel spoilers supposedly). And Sin is back. She's only 19.

I really wished they had a huge time gap between these things happening. It would have been cool to see Wakka's kid do something other than just being a baby.

Wazzy

Banned
Okay so possibly some new info regarding the island:
The island is a century-old refuge for summoners during the Machina War, disguised with blitzballs as bombs for guising the true nature.

Erigu

Okay so possibly some new info regarding the island:
The island is a century-old refuge for summoners during the Machina War, disguised with blitzballs as bombs for guising the true nature.
That would be 1000 years though, not 100.

Zoe

This is the most I can find on the B plot:

NTRは戦争時代の召喚士とガードのこと
・召喚士♀とガードが恋人関係
・ガードを獣芯にしたくないと思った召喚士♀が
 召喚士♂と(多分)セクロスして自分を獣芯にしてもらった
・事後の現場をガードに見つかり、召喚士♂が殴られる
・ガードがアルベドに殺されたため、召喚士♀がガードを死人にした
・ガードはその後、不老の死人になりユウナ達の時代まで生きる

ガードが「感謝はしているが、自分が一番愛しているのは召喚士♀ではなく失った妻とその娘」って言ってるから
ユウナがティーダを突き放す理由はこの辺ににあるのかも。ティーダが不老になったから
あと、死人って子作りできるのかww

Gestahl

NTR is about the war period summoner and guardian
Guardian and female summoner are lovers
The summoner who didn't want to turn the guardian into a summon (probably) had sex (?) with a male summoner and got made into a summon
The scene after was found by the guardian and he struck the male summoner (ME: or the other around I don't fucking know)
Because the guardian was killed by Albehd (?) the female summoner turned him into a dead person (ME: I assume this means unsent)
After that, the guardian became a perennial youth dead person (ME: unaging unsent I guess) and lived to Yuna's era

The guardian said "I AM grateful, but the ones I loved the most weren't the female summoner but my lost wife and that daughter/girl" so Yuna's reason for forsaking Tidus might be in this area. Because Tidus became a perennial youth (ME: Unsent or whatever, FFX terminology has long left me)
Also, can an unsent make children? LOL

That's the jist of it but there's probably some stuff I got wrong I don't know caring about FFX is really painful these days.

Gestahl

NTR is about the war period summoner and guardian
Guardian and female summoner are lovers
The summoner who didn't want the guardian to become a summon (probably) had sex (?) with a male summoner and got made into a summon
The scene after was found by the guardian and he struck the male summoner (ME: or the other around I don't fucking know)
Because the guardian was killed by Albehd (?) the female summoner turned him into a dead person (ME: I assume this means unsent)
After that, the guardian became a perennial youth dead person (ME: unaging unsent I guess) and lived to Yuna's era

The guardian said "I AM grateful, but the ones I loved the most weren't the female summoner but my lost wife and that daughter/girl" (ME:eek:r maybe this is "the ones who loved me the most" I don't know but I think my first inclination was right) so Yuna's reason for forsaking Tidus might be in this area. Because Tidus became a perennial youth (ME: Unsent or whatever, FFX terminology has long left me)
Also, can an unsent make children? LOL

That's the jist of it but there's probably some stuff I got wrong I don't know caring about FFX is really painful these days.

EDIT: Posted it again trying to edit, my bad.

Finalow

Sure. Opinions. That was my point dude. I don't understand why you're trying to turn this around into a 'you like XIII? EEEWWWWW' insult. SHOCKING NEWS: people like different things, opinions will be countered with opinions. The reason people assert their opinion as a generally agreed fact - that's BS.
insult? What insult. my point was also the same, you just didn't get it.
what I wrote was that you might like whatever you want, I also played and enjoyed awful games, but I didn't pretend that they were not garbage nor I didn't prented to don't see all the flaws.

Zoe

EDIT: Posted it again trying to edit, my bad.

Thanks. I wasn't sure about the last part because how could she do anything after she's been turned into a summon/fayth?

Unless you have to be a fayth to do what she did.

Esura

Banned
insult? What insult. my point was also the same, you just didn't get it.
what I wrote was that you might like whatever you want, I also played and enjoyed awful games, but I didn't pretend that they were not garbage nor I didn't prented to don't see all the flaws.

You seem to miss his/her point. You are still trying to superimpose what you perceive as shit or garbage as some sort of fact. What if he isn't pretending and likes everything about said game and don't see what you see as flaws? Its ok that you might think the game is awful but that doesn't mean that he should.

Faustek

So just caught up...honestly I've been trying to justify this as a hallucination brought on by a sleep deprived mind...I can't..this is such bs...I wan't to send back my FFX Vita, cancel my PS3 LE and English Vita release...this is to much SE...

I don't mind the sex.
I don't mind shaft rubbing, I actually welcome it.

I do mind NTR crap.
I do mind the Gore.

This is like your first real love realizing it's not going to work if one of you live in another country, doesn't say anything and starts screwing other guys on the down low until she finds someone that doesn't mind screwing her on a regular basis and pretend it's a relationship and then she feels comfortable enough to confess what she has done and that she is leaving you for this other guy that "loves her" and isn't leaving the country.
Saddest part is that she ended up alone, obese as fuck, then skinny as fuck, crazy from drugs and now 15 years later a miserable pile of something that once resembled a person.

Don't do this to yourself Square Enix, for the love of all mythological deities please do not walk down this path.

Top Bottom