• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majanew

Banned
read what I wrote again: "as unsharp as a 360 game". Scaling is scaling, regardless of how many more polygons or textures and lighting you're shoving around.

I guess you need to actually experience a 1:1 game before you can appreciate it fully.

How many 1600x900 360 games are there? Ryse looks fantastic graphically.

Vizzeh

Banned
Why haven't you mentioned the clock speeds? This is what I meant about cherry picked, it's only ever the stats which are a plus for the PS4 which are mentioned, not the whole thing. Yes the PS4 has a more powerful graphics chip, but saying it's 50% better because a couple of statistics suggest so is rubbish.
The clock speed may or may not produce a net gain in speed over the ps4 cpu (thats pretty much identical and probably possible to increawe the clocl also) because of snap overheads etc and extra use of that cpu

Taking into account clockspeeds, this should be accurate?

Xbox One GPU @ 853 MHz
768 Shaders =>1.31 TFLOPS
1.7B tri/s
48 TMUs => 40.9 GTexels/s
16 ROPS => 13.6 GPixels/s
2 ACE/ 16 queues
8GB DDR3 @68GB/s + 32MB eSRAM @ who the fuck knows GB/s

PS4 GPU @ 800 MHz
1152 Shaders => 1.84 TFLOPS
1.6B tri/s
72 TMUs => 57.6 GTexels/s
32 ROPS => 25.6 GPixels/s
8 ACE/64 queues
8GB GDDR5 @176GB/s

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
People argue the launch lineup as the biggest reason for still getting an Xbox One because the Playstation 4 doesn't offer many appealing ones...

Last time I checked, launch games weren't the only games released for a console over eight years.

Putting up for a console's launch just because they have a handful of the more appealing games to some is silly because a few months from now the competitor is going to obviously release more games, and in this instance Microsoft's competitor is Sony who is known for heavy first party games.

I would wait to buy a console if launch games are so appealing to some, only because if one is leaning toward the Xbox One (and this is my opinion here), it seems you'll be setting yourself up with a botched console for a few years.

Daffy Duck

All Mark Rubin has to to tweet is this:

"In June we said Ghosts runs at 1080p 60FPS on next gen consoles, this is still the case today, nothing has changed", and all this goes away.

Why can't they spend 30 seconds typing that out?

We don't need a press release, we just need something saying it's not true and job is done.

Jack cw

I'm happy your PS3 purchase worked out for you.

Who's aggressive against facts? I only asked you to provide comparisons of effective performance metrics, eg. pixel fillrate not the number of rops (which doesn't make much difference but it should be done for accuracy reasons).

The closest we have was a chart I posted a page before. It should be clear at this point that the PS4 GPU has nearly double the power.
I shit you not, someone on the gametrailers forums has this listed as the xbone specs:

X1 specs.
Heavily modified R9 280X with various 290X parts
1.3tflop (12CUs)+ GCN 2.0+ & HSA+ = 4.8tf reality
12CUs + 2 dormant CUs + 2 fail-safe CUs for main GPU.
2 parallel render pipes for GPU + 2 parallel quadcore clusters for 8core CPU.

This new gen is making people crazy.
Haha, this is great!

Tsundere

Banned
One minute statistics are the be all and end all, the next minute they're insignificant, make your mind up.
No, you need to read up on how much of an actual Boost that represents.

Hint: insignificant.
The cpu didn't get a 6% bump the GPU did. CPU got a 9% bump.
Yes, I know, phone autocorrected that. Still insignificant.

Should also take into account 10% reserved for the OS.

IISANDERII

Xbox 360 XBLG blows away PS3 PSN, you have no idea if XBO XBLG blows away PS4 PSN.
Not for me it doesn't; I think PSN+ blows away XBLG. Comes down to cross party chat vs free games. XBLG is beginning to offer free games but so far they've been extremely stingy, only tossing gnarled bones.

For next gen, I think it's more likely that PSN gets cross party chat while XBLG still won't be giving away good games.

wizzbang

Banned
People have just stopped actually playing the games. Spend 2000$ on a PC to take screenshots, rave on and on about pixels and shit which they will not enjoy anyway since there clearly is something wrong with the "pacing" or "character development" in the game...

Funny enough I used to be a PC gamer and I hated consoles "dumb shit for dumb kids, all they have is fucking street fighter shit games, no intelligence, derp" - HATED consoles. Loved tweaking, patching, overclocking, upgrading, fixing, tweaking some more, optomising bullshit. I got older and now, I just.want.to.fucking.play.some.goddamn.videogames (and talk shit on the internet)

I swear to fuck as a PC gamer all I did was fiddle and take screenshots - it was like hotting up a car you know? I had my own hot rod in the garage and worked it every weekend but never actually drove it.

I used to shit up threads about resolution and frame rate 10 years ago myself, I recall debating and speculating the last console launch feverishly, I loved it! LIVED for the debate, the fight, the speculation, the theorising bullshit, calculating what possible resolution / frame rate things might be based on specs and just total dumb shit.

The PS3 taught me love :D I just play video games now, I don't give a fuck if GTA4 runs worse on my PS3 than the 360, that game fucking saved my motherfucking life.
I dunno, maybe these guys are right and I should let the kids argue it out over 4k, 1080p 60fps wank - but I guess 10 years ago when I was doing that shit? someone was also telling me to shut the fuck up and forget about it, I didn't listen :)

I'm just looking forward to more games and features, NOT power in my console (within reason) - I want remote power on and install. I want SSD's installed for better load times. I like that I can capture and upload video (even though I'll never use it) - I love the web based stores now. I love that digital downloads are an option for those who want to use it (fuck digital downloads), I love these consoles are all 5.1 / 7.1 nowadays and have HDMI out as default. I love that the wireless controllers we all whined about like babies 9 years ago saying "they will ruin gaming, latency, WHAT?" ended up being completely fucking fine.
and most of all, I fucking LOVE that the developers and the manufacturers will NOT enforce 1080p or enforce 60fps on these consoles, the developers will choose what they feel is best. Be it 30 fps or 1080 or 720 or whatever, as long as they feel their game looks how they want it to look.
Finally I love single player gaming and love how people keep saying it's dying and it ain't - it's fucking grand. Give me my immersive worlds and good stories, give me my games. That's it.

tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif

Majanew

Banned

Xbox One GPU @ 853 MHz
1.7B tri/s
2 ACE/ 16 queues

PS4 GPU @ 800 MHz
1.6B tri/s
8 ACE/64 queues
8GB GDDR5 @176GB/s
eSRAM is 109 Gb/s

I find it pretty funny that people were going apeshit over 20p differences this gen, but all of the sudden resolution doesn't matter anymore.

Bishop89

"In June we said Ghosts runs at 1080p 60FPS on next gen consoles, this is still the case today, nothing has changed", and all this goes away.

We don't need a press release, we just need something saying it's not true and job is done.

because if the xbone version is indeed 720p, he would be lying...?

Vizzeh

Banned
One minute statistics are the be all and end all, the next minute they're insignificant, make your mind up.
The point i think hes making is that a small cpu increase is nothing compared to the gpu power difference...notably because games are gpu bound and not cpu bound.... the gpu is were the grunt is and what matters next gen

The clock speed may or may not produce a net gain in speed over the ps4 cpu (thats pretty much identical and probably possible to increawe the clocl also) because of snap overheads etc and extra use of that cpu

Maybe, my point has always been people are reading statistic without really understanding the system and drawing conclusions. Having one part of a GPU 50% more powerful doesn't make the GPU 50% more powerful.

velociraptor

I find it pretty funny that people were going apeshit over 20p differences this gen, but all of the sudden resolution doesn't matter anymore.
The funny thing was that that 20p made a rather discernible difference to my eyes. PS3 games looked like they were smeared in vaseline compared to their 360 counterparts. 1080 > 720 is massive. Anyone who disagrees is blind and denying reality.

killatopak

Gold Member
It's just so silly, developers read these forums, fuck do I feel sorry for those poor assholes seeing shit like this. I think the whole thread is a total clusterfuck. Honestly if it wasn't for the utterly shitty library of games
(for my taste / in my opinion!)
on the Xbox side of things, I'd seriously consider buying one out of sympathy at this point. My PS3 which was apparently a "piece of shit" for 18 months after launch from every goddamn Xbox fan on forums ended up being a sweet as fuck investment. I hope the Xbox One fans in 18 months are rewarded for their patience too, just fun games in the long run.

Yes. Games are their last hope now. Although I doubt they can compare with WWS. I hope they can. Prove me wrong MS.

Daffy Duck

because if the xbone version is indeed 720p, he would be lying...?

Then if that's the case, tweet something else, my post was highlighting a positive one that could come out of them if indeed both consoles are still 1080p 60fps. Obviously they wouldn't say this if it's not correct.

eSRAM is 109 Gb/s
I had it at 109 originally. But if I put that I expected someone to say but it's 200GB/s theoretically. To which I expected someone to respond that it's only 130GB/s real world and only in certain situations. To which I expected someone to respond that the other numbers are theoretical. Etc. Etc.

So I settled on who the fuck knows.

The point i think hes making is that a small cpu increase is nothing compared to the gpu power difference...notably because games are gpu bound and not cpu bound.... the gpu is were the grunt is and what matters next gen

I agree, all I'm saying is that you can't cherry pick percentages of specific parts of a graphics card and say it's x percent more powerful. I have no doubt that the PS4 has the edge over the One in graphics power, but how big that edge is remains to be seen.

Skeff

Maybe, my point has always been people are reading statistic without really understanding the system and drawing conclusions. Having one part of a GPU 50% more powerful doesn't make the GPU 50% more powerful.

The 50% figure is an accurate representation of the differences.

If people wanted to they could look at just the Pixel fill rate ad say the GPU is 90% better. 50% is basically an average of all the different ways the GPU is better, there is no spinning it, the PS4 GPU is far superior to the XB1 GPU.

velociraptor

I agree, all I'm saying is that you can't cherry pick percentages of specific parts of a graphics card and say it's x percent more powerful. I have no doubt that the PS4 has the edge over the One in graphics power, but how big that edge is remains to be seen.

How big? This big.

Holy shit, those idiots over at Digital Foundry have really fucked up this conversation, haven't they?

To preface this post I want to say that although I admire what Digital Foundry tried to do but their methodologies were not only flawed but straight up wrong.

The first thing they did wrong was select the wrong graphics cards to correctly compare the 2 situations.

For the Xbox One they used a HD 7850 over a HD 7790 while for the PS4 they used a 7870 XT over a 7850. This is wrong because using the 7850 for the Xbox One thrusts it into a whole different category of graphics cards that bring many advantages not present in the Xbox One GPU (32 ROPs vs 16 ROPs).

The methodology they used would have been perfect if they grabbed a HD 7790 and clocked it to ~731 Mhz for the Xbox One's GPU and used a a HD 7850 and clocked it to 898 Mhz.

Xbox One = 1.310 Teraflops ------- (HD 7790)Bonaire @ 731 Mhz = .731*2*896 = ~1.310 Teraflops
PS4 = 1.84 Teraflops ------- (HD 7850)Pitcairn @ 898 Mhz = .898*2*1024 = ~1.84 Teraflops

I reckon using these cards at these clocks would really show the GPU difference between the two consoles but alas Digital Foundry went about this some other dumbass way.

To get to the point since I don't have the hardware I mentioned above on hand to conduct the tests myself but I can extrapolate data from graphics cards that are similar to what goes into these consoles. For the Xbox One that would be an HD 7770 because it has a similar amount of GPU power as the GPU used in the Xbox One (1.310 Tflops vs 1.28 Tflops) while for the PS4 I would use the HD 7850 (1.84 Tflops vs 1.76 Tflops) and then compare the results for a realistic look at the performance gap. Oh, by the way the gap between 1.28(HD 7770) and 1.76(HD 7850) is smaller than the gap between 1.31(Xbox One) and 1.84(PS4) so that's already giving a slight break to the Xbox One in this comparison.

For my analysis I am using benchmark numbers from Anandtech.com:
http://anandtech.com/bench/product/777?vs=778
Using the data above I came up with the following chart:

I submit to you that the performance difference between the Xbox One and the PS4 will be much more apparent than what Digital Foundry has hypothesized and that the overall difference in power will not only be tangible but possible even staggering.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

By the 'Microsoft marketing definition' of 1080p - e.g. a 1080p output signal - they may well do that.

Problem is it's hard to know when a PR person says 1080p if they mean 1080p native. Even when they say 'native'! (see: Crytek & Ryse comments)

iMax

A $500 candy vs $400 candy

Let's not talk about how much tastier and yummier the $400 candy is.

Which one will you pick?

Let's make it simpler since you might like the $500 candy's flavor.

The same chocolate is being sold to you by your two friends but one is $10 cheaper than the other which one will you pick?

Let's make it even simpler since the one selling the $100 more expensive console *cough* $10 more expensive chocolate is your best friend so you might pick that one instead.

There are two stores selling the same gum. One sells at higher price than the other. Will you pick the more expensive one?

Now if you really want to buy the more expensive one, I don't know what to say anymore. Your tastes are simply different from mine and that's subjective.

The same is true with Ryse albeit it's a different game from KZ:SF. You might not care about their differences but objectively it is better.

You've completely lost me.

This is patently untrue. You could make that point about absolute capital T truths, but we have metrics which are considered "objective" under certain circumstances. If you accept certain axioms, with qualifications, one could use the word "better" rather freely. Though, of course, not in the case of that poster.

But the term 'better' requires qualification against subjective interpretations. You can't just say something is 'better' as different people interpret such objective aspects in differing ways.

Nothing? I hate postmodernist mentality... A non polluted river is objective better than a polluted one.

Unless you're a rat.

I shit you not, someone on the gametrailers forums has this listed as the xbone specs:

X1 specs.
Heavily modified R9 280X with various 290X parts
1.3tflop (12CUs)+ GCN 2.0+ & HSA+ = 4.8tf reality
12CUs + 2 dormant CUs + 2 fail-safe CUs for main GPU.
2 parallel render pipes for GPU + 2 parallel quadcore clusters for 8core CPU.

This new gen is making people crazy.

Lantern? He get his "sources" from MisterX, just ignore him.

OT: I know some people getting a PS4 from this rumour. They had a 360 this whole gen and just want the best console for multiplatform games.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Well, thuis truly is the pinaccle of the console wars before release

*popcorn.gif* You guys are making work bearable (slow today).

On the other hand... damn if true. COD isn't an intensive game at all, graphically speaking of course. FFS its an engine as old as me. Nothing I have seen screams NEXT GEN.

Xbox One GPU @ 853 MHz
1.7B tri/s
2 ACE/ 16 queues

PS4 GPU @ 800 MHz
1.6B tri/s
8 ACE/64 queues
8GB GDDR5 @176GB/s

10% of XBOX One gpu is reserved for non gaming. So 1.18 tf.

No, you need to read up on how much of an actual Boost that represents.

Hint: insignificant.

The irony of this is that I was arguing that the specs are insignificant (or rather not as significant as people have been making out), then as soon as I mention one in favour of the Xbox One, you're telling me how insignificant they are.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

what about having EVERY part of the GPU AT LEAST 50% more powerful? Would that make it overall 50% more powerful for you?

Xbone: 1.18 TF GPU (12 CUs) for games
Xbone: 768 Shaders
Xbone: 48 Texture units
Xbone: 16 ROPS
Xbone: 2 ACE/ 16 queues

PS4: 1.84TF GPU ( 18 CUs) for games + 56%
PS4: 1152 Shaders +50%
PS4: 72 Texture units +50%
PS4: 32 ROPS + 100%
PS4: 8 ACE/64 queues +400%

killatopak

Gold Member
Why haven't you mentioned the clock speeds? This is what I meant about cherry picked, it's only ever the stats which are a plus for the PS4 which are mentioned, not the whole thing. Yes the PS4 has a more powerful graphics chip, but saying it's 50% better because a couple of statistics suggest so is rubbish.

GPU clock speeds are already considered in the comparison.

Old TF - (1.23- 10%(kinect) = 1.107TF)
New TF - (1.31- 10%(kinect) = 1.18TF)

CREMSteve

No, im just bitter. Im trying to be excited for the new gen but the constant negativity, my god.
Life is too short bud, don't do that to yourself. None of these products deserve our loyalty and devotion, they're chunks of metal and plastic and the companies that make them are only in it for the almighty dollar.

Both will have games that will be fun, some will look amazing, many won't, regardless of the platform it's on.

At the end of the day, we should be buying the system that's right for us, as consumers. Fortunately for some and less fortunately for others, most signs point to the PS4 being the better buy at this time. It's cheaper, more powerful and it will have a healthy flow of software to support it as we make our way through a long, cold winter.

By all accounts, the controller is vastly improved (thank goodness) and the online infrastructure seems to have everything in place to allow for some terrific social interactions.

People aren't blowing smoke about this system because they're Sony fanboys (well, some are, no question, and they're annoying as hell). People whose opinion I trust have made it clear Sony's built an impressive little box worth owning, this is what makes the decision easy for me.

That all said, this console bashing is incessant and GAF lets it go on far too long in most cases, I'm 37, have a wife and 3 kids, along with a career that keeps me incredibly busy.

It would be nice to pop on GAF and not have to wade through pages of posts of "hyuk, now I see why they didn't call it the Xbox 720, lol". I don't have time in my day for this shit.

Buy the system that looks the best, don't base your decisions on brand loyalty, these corporations do not deserve such love and adoration.

which is of course fine. But for those of you that buy both machines - do you see yourselves buying multiplatform games mostly on PS4 (assuming they are better)?

If so, thats bad news for MS as it reduces the income they get from license fees on third party games.

If I honestly feel the PS4 version of a game I'm interested in totally takes a massive crap on the Xbox One version, I'm getting the PS4 version. It's really about as simple as that. However, superior graphics aside, people really do have to consider that people have very different and legitimate reasons to want the Xbox One version of certain games also, maybe because they enjoy the features and experience on the Xbox One and want to own some more games for that system, maybe some of your friends have the Xbox One version also... But beyond even those things, games like NBA 2K and Fifa in particular are a significant part of my games library. I buy every new version that comes out.

Just like this generation, those two franchise will receive some serious playtime from me. I've always liked the idea of online play for those two games, but I never really felt the online experience was satisfactory enough for the level I like to play at. This is why I never bothered much with online play. If I can't expect the best possible experience, then playing online simply isn't worth it, which is why I was neither an Xbox Live subscriber this gen, or PSN subscriber. If the Xbox One versions of those games are benefitting from free dedicated servers, that's simply not something I can in good conscience pass up, even if the PS4 version happens to run at a superior resolution. I don't automatically expect that because Xbox One versions aren't the superior versions, that this somehow means they will also be unplayable or look horrible, you know what I mean?

When you say things like this sometimes, though, it's viewed like you somehow aren't being genuine, or don't mean what you say, or your motivation is nothing more than an intentional slight against the other system, but nothing could be further from the truth. I wish for the best and the most success possible for every system out there, because people spend actual money on these things. I don't draw enjoyment or any kind of sick satisfaction from hearing that other gamers might be getting the short end of the stick, as many appeared to get with the PS3 versions of Red Dead Redemption, Bayonetta, or even GTA IV. That said, this wasn't always the case on the PS3. There were many multi-platform titles of which people didn't have very many horror stories, or were perfectly happy to own the PS3 version. I see that being the case with the Xbox One also, even if it, too, may also have its own share of disaster stories as the PS3 did.

Beyond that, I like to maintain a very positive outlook on these things, because anything else is a waste of time. Maybe it's naïve, but I assume a certain level of competence when I purchase something, and despite a lot of stories or pieces of news that test your patience in that regard, largely with regards to the Xbox One, I'm not really concerned about the quality of the system I'm purchasing. And in the event that it does turn out to be as bad as everybody was making it sound, well, that's what my PS4 is going to be for, right? I don't I necessarily have to pick and stick with any dog in this particular fight, but I personally love the look of the Xbox One's lineup right now, and it will take a hell of a lot more than the news I've heard so far to change my outlook on the system. This especially doesn't bother me for a title I wasn't going to buy in the first place. The last COD game I bought was Modern Warfare 2, and not another since. That isn't changing for COD Ghosts unless I find out it's somehow a whole lot better than I thought it was going to be. And if that turns out to be the case, then I'll probably just get it for the PS4 next year anyway, and it isn't like I'm interested in COD online, so even on the off chance that only the Xbox One version has dedicated servers, that really doesn't factor for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom