• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

The numbers the PT threw around were ridiculously small anyway. All those planets, and they went to war with a million troopers?

Of course the really stupid thing, the monumentally stupid thing was that the Grand Army of the Republic is a moronic idea in the first place. What an intergalactic body like the Republic needs is a fleet, not an army. I mean, it's called Star Wars, not Ground Wars. So if Obi Wan had stumbled upon a secret ship yard that had been churning out Star Destroyers for a decade that would have been a game changer. But a million ground troops in a galaxy of trillions? Pah, the US has a bigger military than that.

Yeah, but how many CEO's or Kings or Presidents are there at any one time?
And if i gave you a line up of twenty people only one of them being in a position of power but all similarly dressed would you be able to pick the one person out with out guessing? No you wouldn't.

Jedi weren't just average citizens, they were at the heart of an intergalactic power structure for millenia.
People of importance interact with other people of importance. How many world leaders, and CEO's do you know personally? Jedi don't go out and hold Canned food drives.

They led armies in battle across countless solar systems just in Han's lifetime.
and to the civilians on those systems all they see are the Armies

Why wouldn't there be newsreels?
Since the invention of the video camera how much combat footage do we have? When does said footage get declassified? Years later for a documentary.

We still talk about dinosaurs. And with Palpatine using the Jedi prominently in his "We need an Empire" speech, the fact that Jedi are less than common knowledge is so dumb. The fact that Jedi went from prominent guardians of the galaxy to less than legends in under twenty years is Grade A bullshit. .
It's not bullshit in Soviet Russia it was common knowledge that the USSR did everything before the everyone else in the world and did it better, they went so far as to say they created Baseball, and that attitude only took 20 years or so to develop in Russian Commoners through propaganda. And anyone who said otherwise went to a Gulag. People who knew anything kept their mouths shut.

Oh yea it's fucking garbage. Are we on the same page...? I feel like we're not.

We pretty much are, except I don't believe Armageddon is a laughing matter. The movie anyway, the biblical Armageddon sounds hilarious.

The problem with midichlorians isn't how they damage the canon or change the nature of the force, it's that the scene is completely tone deaf to every other scene that had ever dealt with it. It's jarring to go from Yoda and Obi Wan's 'spiritual mumbo jumbo' to that. And you know what, those old scenes were better.

Plus, Jake Lloyd's line reading of "what are midichlorians?" was just absolutely fucking dreadful.

And if i gave you a line up of twenty people only one of them being in a position of power but all similarly dressed would you be able to pick the one person out with out guessing? No you wouldn't.

Nobody asked Han Solo to pick a Jedi out of a line-up so I don't know what you're trying to prove here.

Since the invention of the video camera how much combat footage do we have? When does said footage get declassified? Years later for a documentary..

Erm, how about an absolute metric fuckton? You ever seen this show, shit what's it called? They're always showing stuff like this. What is it called? Oh yeah, the fucking news.

People of importance interact with other people of importance. How many world leaders, and CEO's do you know personally? Jedi don't go out and hold Canned food drives.

and to the civilians on those systems all they see are the Armies

Since the invention of the video camera how much combat footage do we have? When does said footage get declassified? Years later for a documentary.

It's not bullshit in Soviet Russia it was common knowledge that the USSR did everything before the everyone else in the world and did it better, they went so far as to say they created Baseball, and that attitude only took 20 years or so to develop in Russian Commoners through propaganda. And anyone who said otherwise went to a Gulag. People who knew anything kept their mouths shut.

This isn't about knowing somebody personally or being able to pick out a particular individual out of a lineup. It's about not knowing about an order of superpowered telepaths who were instrumental on a galaxy-wide level for milennia. That's not like Russia claiming to have invented baseball, it's about trying to convince people who grew up watching it that, 30 years later, it never existed at all.

Dr Prob

Banned
There was a whole thing in the EU where Den Dhur (a journalist) was trying to document the Clone Wars. He started out attempting to make a name for himself (there were competing media outlets and all that entails) but fell into friendship with some participants, only published certain stuffs and it was kind of neat.

Doesn't make sense in the context of the films though. Almost started to type it out, but nope.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Ok. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, I like the movies and and I do own them all on blu and seen them once (except for Revenge of the Sith which I watched twice cuz I thought it was the best one, really enjoyed it).

So this deal with Midichlorians. If Darth Vader
got all his limbs chopped off
in Sith, he lost the Midi-germs or whatever that are in his body parts that connect to the Force? So isn't he only at half of his potential power in the old movies?

^^^^ I believe this to be the case yes, body mass is directly linked to force potential. Ths is the reason no Jedi or Sith has ever dared train a Hutt in the ways of the Force. No one being should possess such power.

There was a whole thing in the EU where Den Dhur (a journalist) was trying to document the Clone Wars. He started out attempting to make a name for himself (there were competing media outlets and all that entails) but fell into friendship with some participants, only published certain stuffs and it was kind of neat.

Doesn't make sense in the context of the films though. Almost started to type it out, but nope.

Was it a comedy of errors where he kept trying to get footage of a jedi doing some jedi shit but he just kept missing out? Sort of like Abba the movie but with Jedi instead of Abba? Because that would explain everything.

Editor: I though you said you had footage of Mace Windu pulling a Separatist Battle Cruiser out of orbit with his mind Den!

Den: Sorry chief, left the cap on the hololens of my vid-corder.

Editor: Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen!

vvvv - That's the best thing about the EU, there's nothing you can make up that is any more ridiculous than the shit they actually had going on. My favourites are all the various authors pet characters like Corran Horn who was a super bad ass x wing pilot but his x wing was green see and he was ultra force sensitive and Luke so badly wanted to train him but he was all like nah I ain't got time for that shit and just taught himself but Luke wouldn't leave him alone and was just obsessed with how great a Jedi he would be so Corran felt really bad for how upset Luke was so he did go and train with Luke and was totally one of his best students or whatever.

prag16

Banned
Ok. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, I like the movies and and I do own them all on blu and seen them once (except for Revenge of the Sith which I watched twice cuz I thought it was the best one, really enjoyed it).

So this deal with Midichlorians. If Darth Vader
got all his limbs chopped off
in Sith, he lost the Midi-germs or whatever that are in his body parts that connect to the Force? So isn't he only at half of his potential power in the old movies?

I know in the old EU (and maybe even the RotS novelization iirc) they alluded to that many times, how he could never reach his full potential as almost literally "half a man"; that before that he likely could have overpowered the emperor, but instead would now be doomed to always remain under the emperor's thumb.

But in terms of the movies I don't think they ever explicitly said that.

AIGHT. TIME TO DEFEND MYSELF. (Midi-chlorian apologists. What the hell did I say)

I wouldn't call myself a Midichlorian "apologist" simply because I don't think Midichlorians are a big deal as I don't see them explaining or giving any real weight to the Force itself, as I've explained (from my own POV). That's the only reason I "defend" the Midichlorians; the Jedi used them as a scientific gauge in the prequels to make decisions regarding who to "let in" to the Order, which is one reason why I find them to be too by the books and why Qui-Gon didn't completely agree with how they viewed things and made decisions (he even argues with Obi-Wan about this in the movie).

And by extension, I get the impression that when the order was wiped out and Qui-Gon was communicating with Yoda and Obi-Wan between the trilogies that Qui-Gon essentially threw out the book and enlightened the remaining Jedi about the true nature of the Force, not this "crude matter." However I understand what you're saying and that's fine. I guess I'm just so indifferent toward it, the Force is still a mythical... force without much explanation even if you consider the Midichlorians.

Chewie being a costume makes him so easy to keep in the franchise though. I bet Han somehow tricks him into getting off the Falcon and he takes off without him.

inm8num2

Some more alleged concept art has leaked.

Discussion from StarWars7News.

1FrUUnc.jpg

bNQxbjD.jpg

ZjglCub.jpg

Before people start freaking out about Vader, it's already been stated that he's being used as a placeholder (for either Kylo Ren or other big baddies) in pieces of concept art like this one.

Cheebo

Banned
Before people start freaking out about Vader, it's already been stated that he's being used as a placeholder (for either Kylo Ren or other big baddies) in pieces of concept art like this one.

That is not Vader, it is clearly meant to be Kylo Ren. Especially since we have had reports from MakingStarWars of Kylo Ren overseeing a village burning. People who think it's Vader are crazy and trying to hard to look for him.

That is not Vader, it is clearly meant to be Kylo Ren. Especially since we have had reports from MakingStarWars of Kylo Ren overseeing a village burning. People who think it's Vader are crazy and trying to hard to look for him.

Yep you can tell it's a hood.

Nah, it's Vader; the defined edges at the bottom of the helmet/hood shape indicate that it's not connected to the cape, and there are also tiny reflections present there that aren't visible anywhere else. It's definitely a helmet, at least.

edit: And again, I'm saying it's Vader in the context that he's acting as a placeholder for Kylo Ren, like Cheebo said.

inm8num2

The last piece we saw also looked very familiar. We remembered that it was actually already described by Jason Ward from MakingStarWars. He did a great job with the description so I’m going to directly quote him:

"In the final frame, the villain is depicted as Darth Vader (he’s a placeholder). We see him from the back and several Stormtroopers stand at his side. In the distance you can see the entire village is now in flames as the Incendiary Troopers have done their work well."

There’s one difference though. According to the guy who sent these, they are burning down a rebel base. It’s really hard to tell from that piece alone and I’m not sure if he was assuming this or he knows it for a fact. Jason’s speculation that it’s a village makes more sense and he made these conclusions based on much more stuff he saw. So I’m with him on this one.

LastNac

I bet he will go out in Episode VII as well. My gut feeling is he and Han go out in a blaze of glory in the Falcon saving the day.

There is really no other natural character arc left for Han Solo. He has to die.

Chewie had a lot of characterization in the EU, but with that gone he is essentially a one-note character. He couldn't exist without Han in the films so it makes since they both bite the bullet.

If there is a young Leia in the movie it's not impossible for Vader to be in VII though right?

Are they really going through with that? Unless we're talking like 10 year old Leia, we have young Carrie Fisher ingrained in our heads from years of watching the OT.

Cheebo

Banned
Damn.

Who is this concept artist and how do I get a hold of him.

There is a whole team of concept artists of course but the lead concept artist on the film is Doug Chiang. He was the lead conceptual artist on the prequels as well.

Are they really going through with that? Unless we're talking like 10 year old Leia, we have young Carrie Fisher ingrained in our heads from years of watching the OT.

That rumor wasn't from one of the reputable sources so I am doubtful on it.

Cheebo

Banned
The guy who runs MF.com must have a pretty close contact at Lucasfilm. They dropped tons of bombs during the production and lead-up to Revenge of the Sith as well.

Not to mention they leaked all the various OT changes to the DVD release that came out back in 2004.

Metalmarc

I want to believe Vader is in this, haunting Luke in his dreams, Luke feeling guilty for not being able to save his father from dying sooner.

With the Chewie cyborg arm thing, I'm wondering if maybe he does crash the Falcon with Han, but he survives and that's how he loses the arm?

Cheebo

Banned
SW7News is a trash site. They just copy reports from the big name actual leakers like Making Star Wars and MF. No idea why people always source them.

Hystzen

I can see Vader appearing similar to Empire during Lukes training on Dagobah. Rey and Fin having force training and him appearing to Rey showing her being a descendent of anakin

Cheebo

Banned
I can see Vader appearing similar to Empire during Lukes training on Dagobah. Rey and Fin having force training and him appearing to Rey showing her being a descendent of anakin
Jason Ward commented on the picture leaks. He said it is definitely a stand in for Kylo Ren.

LastNac

There is a whole team of concept artists of course but the lead concept artist on the film is Doug Chiang. He was the lead conceptual artist on the prequels as well.

That rumor wasn't from one of the reputable sources so I am doubtful on it.

So it is Chiang. Defiantly thought some designs looked similar in style.

Shame Ryan Church didn't come back though. Loved the art design for ROTS the most out of the Prequels.

LastNac

SW7News is a trash site. They just copy reports from the big name actual leakers like Making Star Wars and MF. No idea why people always source them.

They get some exclusive scoops form time to time.

Always curious how Ward knows so much honestly.

Eggbok

I don't know if they're actually going to go through with it, but if it does happen in any of the new Star Wars movies Vader reappearing is possible. Also young Leia was rumored to be Carrie Fishers daughter, so she would certainly be older than 10 lol.

I still dont' know that I buy the "Billie Lourd is playing a Young Leia" thing. For one, she doesn't look much like her mom did at that age, and secondly - she doesn't look like her mom did.

Most people, when they think Carrie Fisher, they think of her when she was 20 years old, playing Princess Leia for the first time. They have an idea of what "young Princess Leia" looks like LOCKED in their heads already.

They aren't going to buy this woman who looks about 20 years old and looks not at all like that image, playing the same character about 5-10 years YOUNGER than 20 year-old Carrie Fisher.

It just doesn't make sense.

Nah, it's Vader; the defined edges at the bottom of the helmet/hood shape indicate that it's not connected to the cape, and there are also tiny reflections present there that aren't visible anywhere else. It's definitely a helmet, at least.

Okay, yeah, upon another look I definitely agree.

Top Bottom