• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Crosspost from other thread

FINALLY!

Edited: I WAS SOOOO CLOSE WITH MY GUESS ON WHEN SAKURAI FINISHED WITH HIS BRAINSTORMING PHASE! Here is my summary that I worked on long time ago.

Holy crap, I actually got the whole "character theme" right with some of my guessing in the earlier PoTD threads. He even refers to RosaLuma with the "puppet fighter" moniker!

Duck Hunt is "this game's surprise character"

I mean, we all figured they made one specific retro character per game to be a surprise (Game and Watch, ROB, Duck Hunt), but it's nice to see that confirmed.

Azure J

Duck Hunt is "this game's surprise character"

I mean, we all figured they made one specific retro character per game to be a surprise (Game and Watch, ROB, Duck Hunt), but it's nice to see that confirmed.

Yet another cool mystery solved here. I seem to remember some people talking about the retro thing being coincidence and not a indication of anything specific.

Okay, those slides are really interesting and are things I really wish we got to see more of in Smash. Like, I would love to see some honest to goodness concept art for Smash Bros. one of these days. Sakurai speaks a lot about the process but rarely do we get actually see the real inner workings that were done.

Golnei

Like, I would love to see some honest to goodness concept art for Smash Bros. one of these days.

Especially for the characters who were redesigned to some extent for their Smash Bros. incarnations, like the Ice Climbers, Pit, Palutena, DLC Roy, Giga Bowser, Duck Hunt Duo, the current ZSS and later versions of Captain Falcon. I think the closest we've come is the Hyrule Historia art for Brawl Sheik; and even then, it was only the final design with no concept sketches. There might have been a few interesting preliminary designs in the vein of the 3D Flying Men which we haven't seen...

Especially for the characters who were redesigned to some extent for their Smash Bros. incarnations, like the Ice Climbers, Pit, Palutena, DLC Roy, Giga Bowser, Duck Hunt Duo, the current ZSS and later versions of Captain Falcon. I think the closest we've come is the Hyrule Historia art for Brawl Sheik; and even then, it was only the final design with no concept sketches. There might have been a few interesting preliminary designs in the vein of the 3D Flying Men which we haven't seen...
Brawl Sheik is an odd one, because we have two conflicting accounts of where the design came from--Sakurai claims it was designed specifically for Twilight Princess, but Hyrule Historia claims it was designed specifically for Brawl. I'm not sure who to side with.

I wonder if the cut Rock Pikmin were going to be for an Alph clone.
Reading the slides I kind of doubt it--Sakurai makes a big deal of everything essentially being planned out ahead of time way in advance, and considering how "last minute" we know the clones are (as they are clear deviations on this rule), I doubt anything like an entire new Pikmin--which require their own sets of animations and everything, like considerably simplified characters, and the rock Pikmin would require many of its own due to its design--would have been something planned at last minute like that. If making Alph into a clone was an idea that ever came up I doubt it was ever seriously attempted, considering it was a small miracle that Olimar ran at all in the original 3DS release.

EDIT: I wonder what characters that "slipped through the cracks" were on those slides... It's almost maddening to know we're that close to knowing.

Azure J

Someone's started a campaign for Ayumi Tachibana to be playable. I find it interesting, in a "Phoenix Wright for Marvel 3" kinda way.

Okay, those slides are really interesting and are things I really wish we got to see more of in Smash. Like, I would love to see some honest to goodness concept art for Smash Bros. one of these days. Sakurai speaks a lot about the process but rarely do we get actually see the real inner workings that were done.

I said it pre-4 and I'll say it again, a big "Prelude to Smash" coffee table art book would be one of two Smash related things to make me part with a lot of money. The other being an OVA series with Bones/Yutaka Nakamura on it.

Maybe three months into the ballot isn't the best time to start a movement for a character lol

Wonder why Rosalina was on the first list but not some of the game's more wanted characters like Mega Man or Little Mac or Villager.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
He was the only XY gen starter design with a third form designed to be cool, while the other two were kind of goofy or just plain weird. I think they knew very well what that would mean.
Really? I like Fire Fox Mage.

funkypie

Banned
So I treated myself to a wii u and got smash for my birthday. Now I try to play for fun games online with random people and it is just a lag fest. Every game is lag it is almost unplayable.

Wtf is this shit, shitty Nintendo network, poor netcode ? Mario kart seemed fine.

So I leave a game not even ranked just a normal for fun game because of the lag where it freezes every 3 seconds and I can't play online for ten minutes...

Sorry wrong thread, couldn't find a smash ot.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
"Omega versions for each stage. It took a lot of work, but it's a valuable feature for some players."

Way to miss the point, Sakurai.

Man if you had posted that on Reddit you'd get a ton of down votes from people who see flat stages only as a good thing..

It's like they heard the Final Destination!!!! meme and took it seriously.

I am talking about aesthetics ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It's just a more detailed Assault design, with the jacket opened, and his design made more feral.
277px-Wolf_Assault.png

Wolf_SSBB.jpg

Also I just read his trophy
...but inevitably, they always meet again as enemies
...except in Smash.

Wolf is totally getting in, just because Sakurai said all the existing DLC characters were pre-ballot doesn't eliminate the possibility of him being one more pre-ballot guy.

They could honestly push Wolf as a ballot character. He's probably gotten quite a lot of votes.

I think that'll happen if he wasn't planned already. But man that'd be stupid...Roy being already made as FE character 5 instead of Wolf as SF character 3 and the more interesting guy by far? I don't know why they'd force Wolf into a do or die position when his fans are surely as numerous as Lucas' or Roy's either.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well Final Destination is apparently the stage of choice in the Japanese tournament scene and the western tournament scene didn't exactly do itself many favours posting all those videos on Final Destination or Smashville so it's not surprising it was seen as the design the tournament crowd loved.

RomanceDawn

So I treated myself to a wii u and got smash for my birthday. Now I try to play for fun games online with random people and it is just a lag fest. Every game is lag it is almost unplayable.

Wtf is this shit, shitty Nintendo network, poor netcode ? Mario kart seemed fine.

So I leave a game not even ranked just a normal for fun game because of the lag where it freezes every 3 seconds and I can't play online for ten minutes...

Sorry wrong thread, couldn't find a smash ot.

Wow what kind of connection are you on? Wired of Wifi? Even Wifi can be pretty good with this game but if you get in a room of 4 and just one of those guys has a crap connection it will ruin it for everyone. Oh and if someone is using wifi in your home, texts, youtube, what ever, its gonna mess you up. Wired is always the best way to go.

Usually when I play 4 players with friends its almost always pretty good. But I mostly play 1vs1 and your chance for a good connection is much better. Still, just depends on your opponent so long as your set up is good. I can get really smooth match with folks who appear to be as far as Japan.

kirby_fox

Banned
I wonder if Wolf isn't out yet because they wanted to change his moves even more than Fox and Falco, including a unique Final Smash.

I fully expect DLC to hit again next month too. Mewtwo hit in April, the next DLC came 2 months later, and tourney mode is already planned for August. If we're getting more characters, it'll have to be next month.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's just a more detailed Assault design, with the jacket opened, and his design made more feral.
277px-Wolf_Assault.png

Wolf_SSBB.jpg

...except in Smash.

Oh yeah well how come Sakurai knows Wolf has a white fuzzle on his chest huh?!

/s

anyway all of his trophies Brawl onwards always make it a point to make him sound very tsundere, then again he was pretty much nonexistent in Melee (which is weird, you'd think he'd have a trophy there because he was in the intro)

jph139

anyway all of his trophies Brawl onwards always make it a point to make him sound very tsundere, then again he was pretty much nonexistent in Melee (which is weird, you'd think he'd have a trophy there because he was in the intro)

I was always convinced that Diddy and Wolf were cut last minute from Melee because they inexplicably didn't have trophies. Dixie Kong did. The Wolfen did. It seemed so weird to omit such major characters.

Ryce

I was always convinced that Diddy and Wolf were cut last minute from Melee because they inexplicably didn't have trophies. Dixie Kong did. The Wolfen did. It seemed so weird to omit such major characters.
Rare modeled a handful of trophies for Melee, but they couldn't be used in the final version of the game for legal reasons. I suspect they were in charge of Diddy's trophy, but when it had to be removed at the last minute there wasn't enough time for HAL to make their own.

kirby_fox

Banned
Rare modeled a handful of trophies for Melee, but they couldn't be used in the final version of the game for legal reasons. I suspect they were in charge of Diddy's trophy, but when it had to be removed at the last minute there wasn't enough time for HAL to make their own.

I remember back then reading impressions of Melee before release. One of the demos apparently had a bunch of those blank spaces marked out including an entire extra row. A part of me always thought that Diddy was planned but scrapped because of Rare. I also always felt they may have had a Rare character in development at the time, but had to scrap everything Rare related last minute.

Especially considering the Perfect Dark/Goldeneye references, I wonder how much cut content there actually was that has yet to see light of day.

Diddy's trophy was most likely based off his Diddy Kong Racing design, and it was removed for some legal reason. It always struck me as odd how K. Rool and Dixie had trophies but Diddy didn't. Maybe Wolf was planned as a Fox clone they decided to replace him with Falco.

I remember one of those old translations where they said Wolf was initially the Fox clone but got swapped for Falco because of his distinct silhouette and first jump height.

I remember one of those old translations where they said Wolf was initially the Fox clone but got swapped for Falco because of his distinct silhouette and first jump height.
Wasn't that source the same one that claimed Dedede was potentially going to be in Melee if there weren't clones, which I believe is the same source that was entirely discredited by Masked Man?

Concerning Wolf's lack of trophy in Melee, it's really not that surprising. Wolf had no full body design at that point, he was just a talking head. The only Starfox characters that had trophies in Melee were the main team (which all had character models) and then two of Andross. Wolf being missing really isn't that odd, unless you consider the lack of a Runaway Five trophy to be odd.

I think Wolf's prominence in Assault, Command, and Brawl has kind of skewed the perspective of how small of a character he actually was back when Melee was released.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

...except in Smash.

There is good chance that we would see them facing each other once again soon.

Wasn't that source the same one that claimed Dedede was potentially going to be in Melee if there weren't clones, which I believe is the same source that was entirely discredited by Masked Man?

Yep, those informations are deemed to be fake.

Brawl Sheik is an odd one, because we have two conflicting accounts of where the design came from--Sakurai claims it was designed specifically for Twilight Princess, but Hyrule Historia claims it was designed specifically for Brawl. I'm not sure who to side with.
I imagine Sakurai since he has to deal directly with the Zelda team for stuff like this would know more, and Twilight Princess was far more of an 'Ocarina of Time 2' before it got massively re-hauled during development. Wouldn't surprise me if that entailed Sheik coming back.

Where's this about Rock Pikmin though? Didn't see that part at all in the slides. Also good to see they at least attempted every fighter to show up on the same Smash Run map; that's the really reason for me why it winds up falling short of Air Ride's City Trial.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Concerning Wolf's lack of trophy in Melee, it's really not that surprising. Wolf had no full body design at that point, he was just a talking head. The only Starfox characters that had trophies in Melee were the main team (which all had character models) and then two of Andross. Wolf being missing really isn't that odd, unless you consider the lack of a Runaway Five trophy to be odd.

I think Wolf's prominence in Assault, Command, and Brawl has kind of skewed the perspective of how small of a character he actually was back when Melee was released.

I just find it weird that a Wolfen has a trophy but not him, who made an appearance in the intro. They could have used that for the trophy. But yeah I agree that he was just a talking head in 64.

that's why I'm nervous in SF Zero

Someone's started a campaign for Ayumi Tachibana to be playable. I find it interesting, in a "Phoenix Wright for Marvel 3" kinda way.

Omfg....never in a million years would I have thought to see a Denoxkun video mentioned on NeoGAF!

Hes a good old friend of mine that I went to highschool with, still see him every now and then. Im happy with the quality of the video since its better then his usual stuff and actually watchable( he loves to rant.....about a lot of things, too much for my taste to the point I stopped watching most of em). Nice informative video, I think I might just support it since it was well done. And I admit ive always been curious about the character ever since reading the melee throphy.

I am alll for more and more and more DLC .... but ... just realised that THE ALL STAR MODE WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE
The AI's difficulty scales with how many fighters are in the round, so it's not too bad. Especially since they're pretty generous with the scaling, and it ends up leaving rounds like 2001-2006 as hilariously easy, even on hard mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom