• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 CFW & Homebrew Technical Help Thread -- morality arguments elsewhere

jediyoshi

So why don't they have a screenshot feature again?

It'd have to be implemented per game the way it works with the app and it's probably more work than they or developers care to put in. Any that do care just incorporate it themselves.

u2bam86u.jpg

resized from 1080p
sotc12mkmv.jpg

So why don't they have a screenshot feature again?

Also it doesn't seem to work with every game unless you load it through the application, except the application seems to only provide european versions of games, or only the japanese versions of games, and why the fuck would I bother with any of those when I'm from america?

The screen capture should work with every game after you load and exit the app -- no game has to be selected.

N.A

Banned
Someone just anonymously released fixes for FFXIII-2 and Saint Seiya - Sanctuary Battle....

Both work on 3.55/3.41 apparently...

Edit: A couple of people just emailed me confirmation FFXIII works but crashes at a certain point. It needs extra .sprx files that will probably be released soon.
Also the anonymous hacker has said he will release more games...

Eiji

Someone just anonymously released fixes for FFXIII-2 and Saint Seiya - Sanctuary Battle....

Both work on 3.55/3.41 apparently...

Edit: A couple of people just emailed me confirmation FFXIII works but crashes at a certain point. It needs extra .sprx files that will probably be released soon.
Also the anonymous hacker has said he will release more games...

Nice!

So, I'm reading that the True Blue dongle is dead? Speculation is rife that the E3 dongle/firmware is from the same people and will be releasing next month. lol

Yes: 3.41/3.55

I know about the E3 dongle stuff, but what is the rumor/speculations regarding True Blue being dead?

It's no longer in production and will be replaced by a new safer DRM dongle in July. I assume all newer games will require this dongle to function - if they didn't why bother making a new one?

milliondollar1dhzee.jpg

or

Mr. Donglebreaker has struck again: 1/3.... Who's next?

test_account

XP-39C²
Really? Is it official that True Blue will be discontunied and replaced by a safer dongle, by the same guys who makes TB? It would be funny/sucks (depending on how you see it) if the TB dongle becomes obsolete, and is "forcing" people to buy a new dongle if they want to play newer games on CFW.

This is from one of the True Blue resellers:

True Blue JB2 was stopped producing but a newer replace DRM dongle with build-in ndw function will be released in July, please pay close attention to TB official site news update in recent days. Anyone who wants to talk about the upcoming dongle, just visit our forum via this link

I must say sorry to you guys because we suddenly received the notice, not only lightake but all shops have to stop selling TRUE BLUE JB2 Dongle. Now we got two choices: 1. keep waiting for ship the newest DRM dongle instead of the old one when it's released in July; 2. contact our customer service for a refund. BTW, We have pre-ordered hundreds of new dongle, lightake will get the first batch of goods in stock then.

Also:

I will be posting some great E3 news later this week. Also there been alot of work behind the scenes from three different groups in bringing finally some action to the ones that can't downgrade or are stuck on non-jailbreak-able market -- The market for 3.55 is growing smaller everyday.

4.11 CFW... only if you buy one of these new dongles?

test_account

XP-39C²
Thanks for the info :) Kinda sucks for those who bought TB, but i never cared much about it, so it doesnt bother me much. The TB dongle was cheap anyway (like $50?), so it wasnt much money that people "lost".

E3 TEAM released another game fix - Disney Universe, lol

They also posted an update on their dongle:

We have noticed lots of interest for our new usb dongle. We are still working hard on it, and here are some features:

-It is easy to upgrade, plug and update
-It will support all PS3 games, including all game updates & DLC
-It will work on a new high CFW in the future
-It can only work with games modified by E3TEAM

The most important thing is we need to protect our work well, so we will try our best to make it uncrackable.

We need time to complete those functions, and will also adjust our plan as per user requirement.

PS: we've only released e3 card reader, e3 flasher and e3 move suite. All other dongles haven’t had any relationship with E3TEAM!

A team of ball sacks.

test_account

XP-39C²
For me, the most interesting thing in that announcement is "It will work on a new high CFW in the future". I was under the impression that a CFW higher than 3.55 was impossible because they cant calculate the keys anymore. Meaning that just downloading a .pup file and install it like a normal firmware is no longer possible. Maybe it could be possible somehow if you're already on CFW though.

Jal

Finally some interesting news.

From PS3 News, comes the latest information that the method to convert your Retail PS3 to Debug has been officially leaked.

Here is a the quote from the original post (watchout folks, ****’s about to hit the fan):

Hi Scene Sorry for my bad English. I want to give you info you pls make public. I want be anonymous. I only can say Im from Hong Kong. I have way to get a dex, it works and is complete nothing missing

I understand this will allow you to play games up to 4.2 firmware, hopefully there will be some tool as it's just a bunch of gibberish to me.

I'm about to bite on a Cobra USB dongle, is it a bad move with all these new developments? I'm mainly interested in playing PSOne, PS2, and blu-ray ISO from HDD, which are unique features of Cobra I think, and they don't seem to be covered by what other teams are trying to do.

I'm about to bite on a Cobra USB dongle, is it a bad move with all these new developments? I'm mainly interested in playing PSOne, PS2, and blu-ray ISO from HDD, which are unique features of Cobra I think, and they don't seem to be covered by what other teams are trying to do.

With a dongle I can play PS2 games on my PS3?
No hassle?

Highly disappointed with the PS3 scene, the only thing I ever wanted was a good mediaplayer, and some emulators that were promised early on: DC, N64... Neither have happened.

With a dongle I can play PS2 games on my PS3?
No hassle?

You need a backwards compatible ps3. There's an experimental emulator for slim consoles I think, but it's bound to be crap.

I'm just tempted by the idea of having all my PSOne, PS2, PS3, blu-ray and DVD library all on HDD and playable on one device (region free too).

test_account

XP-39C²
so if this debug thing is true the ps3 will run all unsigned code but it won't have psn access?

dongle makers annihilated.
From what i gather, backups wont work. You need to crack some protection to do this or use debug eboots. Private people have had PS3 debug/test units for years now, and i havnt heard anyone who have bypassed this protection yet, so i'm not sure that these news will change much.

I think that these news is another case of "daymn, shit just got real!" first-reaction, but then later on it ends up being hardly useful for anyone. But i wont speak too soon on this, only time will tell.

test_account

XP-39C²
If the ps3 can run unsigned code and all that, it's easy enough to develop something that allows games to run.
Not necessarily. Test and debug units have been around for quite some time, yet people werent running backups on them i.e in 2009. Multiman (a backup manager) was also just "recently" (a few months ago) being able to run on debug firmware 3.55. It will however not run on a higher firmware version.

Tess3ract

Banned
Not necessarily. Test and debug units have been around for quite some time, yet people werent running backups on them i.e in 2009. Multiman (a backup manager) was also just "recently" (a few months ago) being able to run on debug firmware 3.55. It will however not run on a higher firmware version.
That's probably more by design since the multiman guy is a dork.

BKK

There were already ways to run backups on DECH units prior to PS Jailbreak and Multiman.

test_account

XP-39C²
That's probably more by design since the multiman guy is a dork.
No other backup managers excist for debug units as far as i know.

There were already ways to run backups on DECH units prior to PS Jailbreak and Multiman.
I didnt know that, my mistake, but i forgot about the debug eboots. The method you link to requires you to have a debug eboot. If people have access to these things today, then it would work fine. But it is hard to get access to those debug eboot today. It is not enough just to write a backup manager, dump a retail game and play it on a test/debug PS3 unit.

BKK

No other backup managers excist for debug units as far as i know.

I didnt know that, my mistake, but i forgot about the debug eboots. The method you link to requires you to have a debug eboot. If people have access to these things today, then it would work fine. But it is hard to get access to those debug eboot today. It is not enough just to write a backup manager, dump a retail game and play it on a test/debug PS3 unit.

It was just simpler with debug eboots, there were more complicated ways to achieve the same results with retail eboots. Of course, when there are simpler methods then the more complicated ones are largely academic.

For the sake of this guide, we are focusing on the accessible ones above. Of course, any package on the “np” (the retail) environment is encrypted with the retail package keys – short of an internal box, any TEST/TOOL over 1.60 will not be able to decrypt these. You could get the packages, downgrade, install, and upgrade again if needed, but it is of course, a pain to do.

There are however the sp-int and prod-qa environments which tend to have (for a short time) packages that a debug unit can decrypt. The biggest problem, is that they tend to only be available for a short time.

You can check (redacted by me) to see if there is a package available - if not, and you happen to come across one, please add it in for the rest of the community!

So the trick becomes: Do you get a nice debug patch quickly which you can then decrypt, and re-use the SELF(s) to burn to disc, or boot from HDD. Or do you get a retail package, downgrade, become limited to where you can run it from – best bet is to find the debug package!

Not sure why you're focusing on backup managers though, nearly every system in existence has been able to play backups without a "backup manager", it just so happens to be a convenient way to play backups on a retail PS3, but there are many other potential methods of playing backups which do not require a backup manager.

test_account

XP-39C²
It was just simpler with debug eboots, there were more complicated ways to achieve the same results with retail eboots. Of course, when there are simpler methods then the more complicated ones are largely academic.
What are those packages? It seems that it is something that you need to download, similar to debug eboots. I cant imagine that this applies much today. Unless you just wrote that to say that it could be possible in some cases a long time ago, that is fine :)

Not sure why you're focusing on backup managers though, nearly every system in existence has been able to play backups without a "backup manager", it just so happens to be a convenient way to play backups on a retail PS3, but there are many other potential methods of playing backups which do not require a backup manager.
True, but i'm not focusing on backup managers. I just used Multiman as one example, to show that it isnt possible to just port over the current method that backup managers uses to run the backups and it will work fine on a debug unit as well. The backup managers are just a shell/GUI, i was referring to the method they use to be able to run the backups.

I didnt mean to say that it is impossible to find another solution, but the current method used wont work by simply just porting it over.

Here are some pros and cons:

http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Talk:Cex2Dex

It says that every games signed with keys over 3.60 wont work. Of course it might be possible to decrypt these eboots and resign them with 3.55 keys. But if this happeneds in a large scale, then you might just as well use CFW 3.55 on a retail unit. My point was just that the debug/DEX units alone wont solve this problem.

N.A

Banned
Tutorial has just been posted for running 3.60+ games on a DEX on various scene sites. Not all games work yet.

Once the method becomes better documented and foolproof i'll write a nice tutorial for the wiki.

Tutorial has just been posted for running 3.60+ games on a DEX on various scene sites. Not all games work yet.

Once the method becomes better documented and foolproof i'll write a nice tutorial for the wiki.

And there you have it. Can't wait for the tutorial because I read one and while I understood it I don't quite trust it.

MMaRsu

Banned

Cool, progress :).

So is it the conversion from retail to debug unit that's difficult, or is it just the patching of the eboots to make them work on the debug units that's the difficult part?

The Linux stuff looks a pain but this has been released today:

Developer Blackdeath has released a tool, eEID0 Dumper, which can be used on CFW3.55 and their JBM 3.55, MA 3.56. The news which is difficult to translate suggests the need for Linux to be installed on your PS3 is no longer mandatory for CEX2DEX

With a debug system could people dump memory/decrypted eboots and resign them to 3.55?

test_account

XP-39C²
The Linux stuff looks a pain but this has been released today:
I've read that this particular method doesnt work. I'm reading different stuff if its possible to use Linux or not though.

With a debug system could people dump memory/decrypted eboots and resign them to 3.55?
Not "out-of the-box".

Would you be able to convert any PS3 to debug or is it still just 3.55?
3.55 is still needed. You need a way to decrypt some rootkey stuff (every PS3 have it's unique key, so you need to do it yourself) and to do this it looks like you still need Linux installed. Maybe another solution not requiring Linux will come, but you need to be on CFW 3.55 (or lower) at least.

Speaking of needing Linux. After seeing that this is possible through Linux, it makes sense why they decided to remove OtherOS support as an attempt to stop hacking.

Top Bottom