• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex Edition Official Thread Of Pre-Alpha Screens

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Reno7728 said:
speaking of which, are there any videos of all ghillied up yet?

Apparently the leaked version freezes after Shock and Awe. So no. That'll be the rest test, though. Overgrown had much of its vegetation cut, but hopefully all ghillied up keeps it. Pretty important to that level.

Xellos

Looks like Treyarch did a pretty good job. I'm one of the few who hasn't played through MW1 yet (rented it years ago) so I've been looking forward to this conversion for a while now. It's nice to see that it holds up on Wii. The early release shots were not encouraging, to say the least.

Xellos

GDGF said:
Can you imagine if all HD to Wii ports looked like this.

It would be a merrier world.

It would be nice to see more companies even try. For all of Activision's BS I do appreciate that they bring their major releases to Wii while maintaining a reasonable level of quality. They're one of the few third party publishers to even make an attempt.

Vagabundo

Xellos said:
It would be nice to see more companies even try. For all of Activision's BS I do appreciate that they bring their major releases to Wii while maintaining a reasonable level of quality. They're one of the few third party publishers to even make an attempt.

But this happened almost by accident - and it seems with some internal politicing trying to sabotage the release.

Not sure if we can credit activision with a love of the Wii; moreso a love of money.

Still no compalints here, however it happened kudos to the team at Treyarch i will be picking this up next weekend lads. Peace....

Xellos

Vagabundo said:
But this happened almost by accident - and it seems with some internal politicing trying to sabotage the release.

Not sure if we can credit activision with a love of the Wii; moreso a love of money.

Still no compalints here, however it happened kudos to the team at Treyarch i will be picking this up next weekend lads. Peace....

Agreed on all counts. I just wish more third parties would try to make money from the Wii in the same way as Activision. Most only release spin-offs (or, in other cases, simply ignore the platform altogether).

J-Rock

Banned
kayzai said:
After seeing all the videos ... WHO RELEASED THE PRE-ALPHA SCREENS ???

Were they released to support IW's claim about wii?

Fyzxwhyz said that screens are approved by Activision and IW.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
GDGF said:
Can you imagine if all HD to Wii ports looked like this?

this just makes it all the more impressive since it was done in literally the span of 10 months too...

laserbeam

Banned
doomed1 said:
this just makes it all the more impressive since it was done in literally the span of 10 months too...
But but but IW said the Wii wasnt good enough to play their games. If anything IW needs to shut their mouths and accept the fact what they consider a shitty team at Treyarch does pretty damn well with the Wii

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
doomed1 said:
If they made it from scratch in 10 months, that would have been amazing, yes. It's a port. Most of the work was already done.

scitek

TAJ said:
If they made it from scratch in 10 months, that would have been amazing, yes. It's a port. Most of the work was already done.

Yeah, and they had already ported the engine to the Wii for last year's game. They had time to iron things out with this one, hence why it looks, and performs, much better on the whole than World at War.

hellclerk

TAJ said:
did you see me saying otherwise? usually, ports are made alongside of their games, meaning that if this was made at the same time as CoD4, it would have gotten two years as opposed to 10 months. imagine what another year could have given this game, more players online and Wii Speak, even better lighting and water effects. point is, this game is the MINIMUM for Wii ports, and even Wii games in general now. it's not the best looking game on the system, but it's still a reasonable expectation, especially considering the 9 or 10 months they brought the game to fruition on the console while still keeping to Activision and IW's requirements.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
doomed1 said:
it's not the best looking game on the system
True, but only because of its scope. It's by far the most impressive game on Wii.

Razien

Banned
Vagabundo said:

We do get fully fledged GH games now and then, we do get proper ports of smaller games like Hunted and QoS that aren't straight PS2 ports, and we are getting quality ports from this poor team at Treyarch every year. It is love of money, but considering how we barely get stuff that has proven to make money on Wii (no proper RE so far, no Sith Edition for SWFU, not a quality NFS game/port yet, no great Mario Kart/Smash Bros/Galaxy rip-off, etc), Activision is one of the most supportive third parties on Wii. Sadly.

TAJ said:
True, but only because of its scope. It's by far the most impressive game on Wii.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Looks good, has nice features and seems polished, but "by far the most impressive game on Wii" is a huge exaggeration. I think third parties have been doing such a shitty job with the Wii that now anything with a hint of effort already makes us believe it is an achievement.

hellclerk

Razien said:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Looks good, has nice features and seems polished, but "by far the most impressive game on Wii" is a huge exaggeration. I think third parties have been doing such a shitty job with the Wii that now anything with a hint of effort already makes us believe it is an achievement.
basically what i was gonna say...

TAJ

Razien said:
LMFAO at people still using the lazy devs/B-team argument. Tiny teams routinely make XBLA/PSN games that could not be matched graphically on Wii. Did they sell their souls to the devil? No. Hardware matters... a lot.
What game do you consider more impressive? I think that I already know what you're going to say, and you're horribly wrong.

hellclerk

TAJ said:
LMFAO at people still using the lazy devs/B-team argument. Tiny teams routinely make XBLA/PSN games that could not be matched graphically on Wii. Did they sell their souls to the devil? No. Hardware matters... a lot.
What game do you consider more impressive? I think that I already know what you're going to say, and you're horribly wrong.
it matters less of what is impressive than what is unimpressive. there are alot of shitty looking and playing games by underfunded, underskilled, and/or undermotivated teams on the Wii, and because of the dearth of top quality games, these B-team stinkers get the most spotlight. due to the nature of the origin of this game, and the motivation and skill put into it, we can define Modern Warfare Reflex as a standard for 3rd party effort, something by which all future Wii games can be reasonably measured up against technically. there are more impressive games, such as Metroid Prime 3 or Super Mario Galaxy, but those games the best of the pick. so we provide a more reasonable minimum in MWR

Got some questions for Fyzxwhyz...if you can answer...

What was the reasoning behind porting Modern Warfare over as opposed to Modern Warfare 2? I can think of a couple reasons, but I'd rather here something from you.

Now a question for everyone...if this game sells, when do you think we'll see Modern Warfare 2? I think it's safe to assume we'll see Treyarch's COD game on Wii next year. Would a Modern Warfare Reflex 2 release alongside a Modern Warfare 3 (PS3/360)? Or do you guys think that its possible for there to be two COD games released on Wii the same year in order to catch up? Perhaps separated by 6 months.

For example:

- COD7 (Treyarch) released on HD consoles and Wii simultaneously in November 2010
- Modern Warfare Reflex 2 released on Wii 6 months after in mid 2011
- Modern Warfare 3 released simultaneously on Wii and HD consoles in November 2011

I know it's probably not possible considering the yearly COD releases, but I was just curious as to whether there is any way that the Wii releases could catch up.

laserbeam

Banned
Rush2thestart said:

What was the reasoning behind porting Modern Warfare over as opposed to Modern Warfare 2? I can think of a couple reasons, but I'd rather here something from you.

Now a question for everyone...if this game sells, when do you think we'll see Modern Warfare 2? I think it's safe to assume we'll see Treyarch's COD game on Wii next year. Would a Modern Warfare Reflex 2 release alongside a Modern Warfare 3 (PS3/360)? Or do you guys think that its possible for there to be two COD games released on Wii the same year in order to catch up? Perhaps separated by 6 months.

For example:

- COD7 (Treyarch) released on HD consoles and Wii simultaneously in November 2010
- Modern Warfare 3 released simultaneously on Wii and HD consoles in November 2011

I know it's probably not possible considering the yearly COD releases, but I was just curious as to whether there is any way that the Wii releases could catch up.

Would likely see MW2 during the IW release since Treyarch always has a Wii version of theirs.

hellclerk

Rush2thestart said:

i believe it was mentioned before: it would have been a difficulty for IW to share incomplete code and assets with a Wii team from Treyarch while they themselves were working on the game. so, because they had CoD4 lying around, Activision had them port that instead.

_bluemoon

Rush2thestart said:

For example:

We might have new consoles on the horizon by the time Modern Warfare 3 comes around, which would complicate the situation somewhat.

Razien

Banned
TAJ said:

Doomed1 already helped me, but that is not all.

I know hardware matters, but people treat the Wii as it couldn't run last gen games. If there is something impressive, is due to Treyarch being able to keep the scope of the game while retaining good graphics - good enough for many Wii owners and to not detract from the experience, which is the most important. Now, CoD4 never did impressive things: dumb AI, uncountable checkpoint driven respawns/events, basic physics, all in a decade old engine, at sub HD and with unimpressive graphics. CoD4 wasn't that much more from CoD2, except for having an even more cinematic single player (but still worse, but that is arguable), better graphics and much more complete and accessible multiplayer. If CoD2 was possible on last gen consoles, it was no doubt that, with some decent effort, CoD4 could run acceptably on Wii. If this team had more people and more time, I'm sure they could do an even better job.
What is more impressive? Muramasa. Several background layers, smooth animations on all layers, several enemies on screen, loads of effects going on... all original content, by a small team too, for the same price. Considering that the biggest Wii limitation by far is RAM memory, cramming a 2D game that gorgeous on the Wii with steady framerate is more impressive than having a game sending enemies with dumb AI through respawn points until you reach a certain point where they suddenly stop coming at you. Monster Hunter, with all the ecosystem and jaw dropping animations and layers of enemy patterns, is pretty impressive too.

I'm not trying to say that Treyarch didn't do a great job, but the Wii can certainly do more. We just can't know how much more for certain because very few are trying to reach the console limits, so we get used to considering it as an underpowered machine, when it isn't as weak as we think.

Arde5643

Yaceka said:
I haven't read through this whole thread, but are terrible framerate issues from World at War in CoD: MWR as well?
Check out the vids in the previous few pages to see if the framerates are also problematic like in WaWii.

So far I haven't seen any problematic frame rates from the vids.

hellclerk

Surgeon Rocket said:
It's sad that the game isn't even officially out, and there are already cheaters.

Really pathetic.
well to be fair, the majority of those who would have the game in the first place are already prone to cheat.

Odrion

Banned
Wow, this looks like a really great port. It's a two year old game, sure, but these videos make me want to pick it up again.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Does Nintendo have any sort of anti cheat mechanism they can use? The last time I played my Wii online was when Smash Bros came out. :p

hellclerk

Archie said:
Does Nintendo have any sort of anti cheat mechanism they can use? The last time I played my Wii online was when Smash Bros came out. :p
the only time someone can hack is if they're the host. if someone is hacking, all you have to do is drop out. it'll be rare enough that you'll probably be able to get quite a few cheater free games.

in addition to that, the game is set up for hotfixes of maps, so glitching should be taken care of pretty well too.

boiled goose

good with gravy
vids look good. surprisingly good. Treyarch did a good job with such a short time. Shame that no wii speak and local multi are in. would rebuy if they were included.

The people playing the game in the vids need to really make the bounding box smaller though. turning is ridiculously slow at the moment.

Can someone clear something up for me?

With the pinpoint precision of the Wiimote cursor aiming, what is the point of ADS? Does it reduce the spread of your bullets, adding even more precision? Or take less bullets to kill?

Also, is there still sway in the game, such as when scoped with the sniper rifle? Or did they take it out to account for a potential "natural sway" of your hand holding the remote?

hellclerk

Freezie KO said:
Can someone clear something up for me?

With the pinpoint precision of the Wiimote cursor aiming, what is the point of ADS? Does it reduce the spread of your bullets, adding even more precision? Or take less bullets to kill?

Also, is there still sway in the game, such as when scoped with the sniper rifle? Or did they take it out to account for a potential "natural sway" of your hand holding the remote?
The first one, yes, and yes.

Great. Thanks. Didn't know how spread will work in this game with the new aiming. I never played it on PC, and I only casually play on PS3 when over my friends' place.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Can you imagine if all HD to Wii ports looked like this.

The difficulty of porting a game is going to vary per game, however. CoD4 seems like it would be one of the easier games to port due to its simple geometry and roots in the Q3A technology. Furthermore, the originals were designed to produce a high framerate, which was halved on th Wii, making it even easier to match.

If a high-end UE3 game were being ported I'd imagine it would be much more difficult to produce anything reasonably close.

kinggroin

Banned
dark10x said:
The difficulty of porting a game is going to vary per game, however. CoD4 seems like it would be one of the easier games to port due to its simple geometry and roots in the Q3A technology. Furthermore, the originals were designed to produce a high framerate, which was halved on th Wii, making it even easier to match.

If a high-end UE3 game were being ported I'd imagine it would be much more difficult to produce anything reasonably close.

Bingo.

And let me add, quite honestly this game mostly doesn't even look all that hot. Even for the Wii. Even for being third party on the Wii. The only thing somewhat impressive is that it looks better than those pre-alpha screens by a decent margin AND retained all the gameplay modes of it's HD brother.

I think folks going, "wow" because they think this genuinely looks good are fooling themselves, and seriously underestimating what the hardware is capable of.

Had this been made from the ground up FOR this console, it'd look a lot better and more than likely run at 60fps.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Had this been made from the ground up FOR this console, it'd look a lot better and more than likely run at 60fps.
Absolutely. I can't imagine how anyone could truly believe this looks fantastic. That's why I still believe those pre-alpha shots actually worked in favor of this port in that expectations were at rock bottom.

I think it looks pretty awesome, to be honest. Not even "for a Wii game". Just looks solid and hopefully sets the bar a little higher. Fair enough those alpha screens looked like a bad PSP game, but it's come a long way. Good on Treyarch, looks like the game will provide a bit of fun.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think it looks admirable, all things considered. I'd have no qualms in playing it.

Mithos

Surgeon Rocket said:
It's sad that the game isn't even officially out, and there are already cheaters.

Really pathetic.

hetoan, LOL, guess he's at it again, just like on the Conduit.

gamingeek

Other CVG dude said:
very good game bin playing it all weekend. controls are amazing, grahpics are pretty good! online rocks. cant belive they didnt get any credit in the subtitles for this port. oh i think i played you online is your name hicky?

Another guy in the CVG comments section said this.

Top Bottom