• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex Edition Official Thread Of Pre-Alpha Screens

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Archie said:
Hey guys, I took some screenshots of CoD4 running at everything minimal on the PC (my computer is old as fuck and I can't run it smoothly unless I turn everything off). I am not trying to stir shit or anything, I just thought people might be interested in comparing the Wii version to what I have to play.

The PC version forces shaders constantly though (bar a couple like rim lighting). Even on the very lowest settings it's using bump maps to add extra detail to floors, walls, guns, and people. The Wii version, from what I can see, doesn't have any of the bump mapping shaders running.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
EatChildren said:
The PC version forces shaders constantly though (bar a couple like rim lighting). Even on the very lowest settings it's using bump maps to add extra detail to floors, walls, guns, and people. The Wii version, from what I can see, doesn't have any of the bump mapping shaders running.
I guess you're right. I'm not going to pretend I am knowledgable on the technological side of things, but I still think the Wii version looks good for what it is. :p

Regardless, the game is a load of fun. Enjoy, Wii owners.

GDGF

Soothsayer
WTF Bozon? :lol

Show yourself and explain.

(anybody remember the old I'm calling you out meme from a few years ago?)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
IGN rated the conduit higher than this game???

I like the conduit, but this is a damn site better plus he gives it a 6.5 for gameplay are we playing the same game ???

(All Ghillied up was a flipping Awesome Level.)

If you can cope with the somewhat unintuitive controls there’s a fun experience to be had. It’s just a shame that amidst the near-endless amount of customization is a ported engine that can’t offer true pointer precision.

WTF?? am I missing something?? it seems fine to me

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I played this online for four hours last night and loved every minute of it.

I played The Conduit online for about two hours before deeming it completely un-fun and returning it to the video store.

IGN is wrong.

So, why does Bozon's review fly in the face of everything we know about the game? It's almost like he went out of his way to contradict the discussions about the CoD Wii games here on GAF.

:lol

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
I know you're reading all this Bozon, get your ass in here and tell us what's up. I'm trying to avoid blindly calling your review bullshit, but it's counter to everything I've heard thus far. I want to know, as a potential buyer of this game, why you rated it below WaW, when it clearly looks better and (if youtube is to be believed) plays well, too.

fyzxwhyz

Neo Member
The comments in the IGN review about the cursor not being responsive are baffling. The low-level input filtering (the part of the code that affects the raw cursor response) is 100% identical to WAW. If the reviewer doesn't like the way it feels, that's one thing, but if he's saying its a step back from WAW, then something is fishy.

The only thing I can think of is that he has his cursor sensitivity set either too high or too low. If you're feeling like the cursor itself isn't doing what you want it to, I would start by adjusting that.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
GrotesqueBeauty said:
So, why does Bozon's review fly in the face of everything we know about the game? It's almost like he went out of his way to contradict the discussions about the CoD Wii games here on GAF.

:lol

Glad i am not the only one

Stitch

Gold Member
wtf, world at war was horrible and everything i've seen from modern warfare looks much better.

but i have to agree with him that heroes 2 was pretty good :D

_bluemoon

:lol So very wrong. It at least looks on par with WaW (but not alot better), and the controls are awesome. Sounds like he couldn't find the cursor sensitivity slider in the control options menu or something. Never mind the fact that this game has a full featured online experience that actually works.

carlo6529

I haven't had the time to go pick this game up but for all the people who have played the multiplayer, does there seem to be a lot of people playing?

benita316

Banned
fyzxwhyz said:
The comments in the IGN review about the cursor not being responsive are baffling. The low-level input filtering (the part of the code that affects the raw cursor response) is 100% identical to WAW. If the reviewer doesn't like the way it feels, that's one thing, but if he's saying its a step back from WAW, then something is fishy.

The only thing I can think of is that he has his cursor sensitivity set either too high or too low. If you're feeling like the cursor itself isn't doing what you want it to, I would start by adjusting that.

Beautiful.

That review reminds me of Eurogamer shitting on Grand Slam Tennis after trying to play it on a debug Wii. At least they posted a retraction pretty quickly.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
How about if you say a game had a bigger team/budget and it's factually incorrect?
Well that's not an opinion so much as it's a statement of fact.

Anyway, yeah, it's totally just an opinion. But at the same time an opinion so clearly differing from everyone elses could be considered wrong in much the same way we consider most things differing from the usual to be "wrong".

Zep

Banned
Not sure if this was touched on(probably) but

Has their been any stink made about the 'No Russia" level? I mean...That shit was pretty intense :lol and shooting innocent people in an Airport was definitely a WOW moment.

scitek

fyzxwhyz is that true? Did W@W have a bigger team and budget than this effort? I wouldn't blink twice if it did since it was your game and a main entry in the series and not a Wii-specific one.

IceMarker

Zep said:
Not sure if this was touched on(probably) but

Has their been any stink made about the 'No Russia" level? I mean...That shit was pretty intense :lol and shooting innocent people in an Airport was definitely a WOW moment.
Are people really having that much of a tough time reading thread titles for MWR/MW2? :lol

Scrubking

carlo6529 said:
I haven't had the time to go pick this game up but for all the people who have played the multiplayer, does there seem to be a lot of people playing?

Yes.

And since I'm posting let me reiterate that the IGN review is total and complete bullshit. MWii improves on just about every aspect of WaW and has 2.5x the maps and 4x the game modes. It features full control customization, online host migration and a new precision mode that mimics PC aiming.

There is no way that MWii is in any way, shape or form inferior to WaW Wii. It's a factual impossibility. Modern Warfare Reflex is easily the best FPS game on the Wii.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Scrubking said:
Modern Warfare Reflex is easily the best FPS game on the Wii.

Until Red Steel 2 and The Grinder comes along (or maybe not :D :D )

is this upsidedown world are Edge and Euro Gamer going to give this high scores then?

carlo6529

Scrubking said:
Yes.

And since I'm posting let me reiterate that the IGN review is total and complete bullshit. MWii improves on just about every aspect of WaW and has 2.5x the maps and 4x the game modes. It features full control customization, online host migration and a new precision mode that mimics PC aiming.

There is no way that MWii is in any way, shape or form inferior to WaW Wii. It's a factual impossibility. Modern Warfare Reflex is easily the best FPS game on the Wii.

That's good to hear. I'll probably pick it up on Sunday.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Why all the misinformation Bozon?

If I was a conspiracy theorist I would say Activision told a few of the main sites to give their own game low reviews and fuck with the facts.

If I was a conspiracy theorist.

Anony

i can see why the graphics would be lower
the improvement over w@w is small and it's a year older than it
maybe he was expecting more

jufonuk

not tag worthy
GDGF said:

If I was a conspiracy theorist I would say Activision told a few of the main sites to give their own game low reviews and fuck with the facts.

I like your train of thought , I wanted to say something along these lines but didn't
also why couldn't activision release this a day before or after MW2?? why no advertising of this game??

Money is money why don't they want some of the Wii shares??

Sipowicz

Banned
i've always found ign's wii reviews weird.

they seem to make up their minds about a game months before it ever comes out and score it accordingly, regardless of whether it deserves the score or not. the most recent examples being the conduit and dead space extraction

adama-rama

Neo Member
Who really cares what a videogame reviewer has to say anyway? It's not like the game press is held to any sort of high standards.

So far so good with REFLEX, enjoyed some of the multiplayer this morning, got my arse kicked but I'm still working on the controls. It's great to see (some) console games finally letting us get the controls to OUR OWN individual liking. This is one of the few positive trends to come from this console generation IMO.

fyzxwhyz,

I'm guessing you've played Modern Warfare 2, or are in the middle of playing it. I'm not sure how feasible this is at this point in time, but would you hazard a guess as to whether MW2 could ever be ported to the Wii, and the hows and why's as to your answer?

GDGF said:

jufonuk said:
I like your train of thought , I wanted to say something along these lines but didn't
also why couldn't activision release this a day before or after MW2?? why no advertising of this game??

Money is money why don't they want some of the Wii shares??

oh for jesus's sake guys, don't do this crap

jufonuk

not tag worthy
EmCeeGramr said:
oh for jesus's sake guys, don't do this crap

have a tin foil hat it will keep Xenu at bay, which is who is influencing Bozon and Activision heck Tom Cruise is screwing up the reviews and press releases , too the bat cave!! :lol :lol :lol :lol

scitek

Arde5643 said:
Very good review - definitely agree with all of the points, but due to pricing alone, I would've scored it as either B- or C+.

I kinda did that, but I think it's a B+ brought to a B cuz of pricing. It's Modern Warfare, which is an A+ for me on the HD consoles strictly for the multiplayer, a B+ for the same game just with a graphical hit seems fair to me.

J-Rock

Banned
jufonuk said:
IGN rated the conduit higher than this game???

I like the conduit, but this is a damn site better plus he gives it a 6.5 for gameplay are we playing the same game ???

Don't you know that The Conduit's gamplay> Call of Duty 4's gameplay?:lol

This funny as hell. WTF is happening to IGN Wii?

TomcaT-SdB

One of the Founding Fathers of Saga
I'm just wondering if the IGN crew got pissed over the non-media friendly was the game was released (no media, no preview copy to review outlets, etc). Maybe they decided to give the game a bad review based on that. Tinfoil hats aside, this seems to be a more plausible explanation.

My copy of the game is in the mail, so +1 sale. Thanks again for the answers fyzxwhyz.

Top Bottom