• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
finished downloading. here we go! time to play some freakin' Halo!

This gif feels somewhat appropriate

Just-When-I-Think-You-Couldnt-Possibly-Be-Any-Dumber-You-Go-and-Do-Something-Like-This..-and-Totally-Redeem-Yourself-In-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif

Yeah, almost posted that myself. Would've if Fronkman had hooked me up with a beta code. Instead I sit alone...dreaming up bad puns and crappy hashtags.

RoKKeR

Great compensation, so excited to revisit ODST. Wonder if Firefight makes its way in eventually as well.

Good on you 343, keep at it.

link1201

RowdyReverb

Has there been any word on whether there have been improvements to Spartan Ops functionality? I'm one of those weirdos who really enjoyed SpOps, but the lag was irritating at times. Surely some of that extra dev time was used for something, right? Are dedicated servers even feasible for SpOps networking?

Also, really looking forward to playing ODST next spring. H3's engine greatly benefitted from the transition to the MCC, so I expect that ODST will look and feel fantastic.

Has there been any word on whether there have been improvements to Spartan Ops functionality? I'm one of those weirdos who really enjoyed SpOps, but the lag was irritating at times. Surely some of that extra dev time was used for something, right? Are dedicated servers even feasible for SpOps networking?

Also, really looking forward to playing ODST next spring. H3's engine greatly benefitted from the transition to the MCC, so I expect that ODST will look and feel fantastic.

To the best of my knowledge, Spartan Ops hasn't been implemented yet?

I know people don't like the spartan chatter, but I find it impressive how contextual it actually is.

Ditto. It's surprisingly non-grating. Very well done, IMO.

Halo 5 is really interesting. I'm gonna hold off on commenting til I play for a good while longer, so I can really collect my thoughts and properly express them. That said, I am having a lot of fun with it.

I will say this- thank god they confirmed 720p is only for the Beta. This doesn't look so hot visually. It isn't visually awful by any means, but everything is kinda washed out and a lot of visual cues are lost in lack of a solid imagine resolution.

Anyways, back to playing... OH. Are there only two maps for now?

<3

ODST has me ridiculously excited.

PS- I would happily pay for ODST Firefight with MM down the road.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So I've played some 15 games or so (my rank is gold 3 or something, no idea what that means). Overall, impressions are cautiously optimistic. Honestly, it really does feel a good bit like Halo, but with some neat and not-so-neat stuff added.

Good:
+guns look, sound and feel strong. Except for the sniper, which is basically identical to H4's
+back to traditional slayer focus of "know when power weapons spawn, grab them and control the map" rather than random drops
+no grenade indicators!
+60fps
+thrusters
+good map callout names
+spartan chatter
+sprinting comes at the expense of shield recharge

Bad:
-map visual design. both maps are super busy, especially the midship one. It's got this weird hazy thing going on that really obscures vision
-ADS/hovering/clambering/groundpound/spartan tackle thing. They're all totally unnecessary. Can't stand ADS at all, especially as it's not just cosmetic. Hovering is just kind of there and feels unnecessary. Clamber is way too forgiving, and pretty much kills trick jumping. Groundpound is useless 85% of the time, no reason for it to even exist other than that it looks cool. Definitely not gonna be a fan of it in KoTH matches. Spartan tackle is just 1hk melee, and isn't very fun.
-Steitzer callouts. Same problem as Halo 4 - he's way too enthusiastic, haha. Maybe I'll get used to it.
-Automatics are stupid strong. AR and SMG scoped in wreck everything.
-The DMR feels useless every time I use it. Probably because the maps are pretty small.
-Weak audio with grenades. Hard to pinpoint where they're landing even with my 7.1 headphones on.
-Killcams. Especially that music.
-Prophet's Bane glow just eats up my screen. Looks really bad
-Ranks need more prominence and explanation.
-Sword ADS. like seriously why does that even exist
-The human map is kind of bad.
-Heads up notices on power weapons. Let people figure it out for themselves when snipe spawns, that's part of the learning curve.

Even if this ends up terrible, H5 so far is better than anything in H4. I'll give 343 credit for that. I've had some real fun tonight.

Oh, one other small thing- the Battle Rifle does not feel right to me. It's scope seems wrong, and its feedback feels very.. direct, lacking the burst? Sort of like a DMR with a reflex scope as opposed to a zoom.

RowdyReverb

When ODST is added next year, Reach will be the only (FPS) Halo campaign not present in the MCC. Would feel bad not to have it too, eventually.
ODST makes more sense because they've already ported H3's engine to XB1. They'd have to start from scratch for Reach's engine, which would presumably mean much more work and time. By the time it was finished, H5 would be right around the corner.

MouldyK

A Halo community feedback program was announced on The Bulletin. Here's the link:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/halo-community-feedback-program

Already signed up. This a great idea and I'm really looking forward to taking the surverys.

Also, the second episode of The Sprint is up. Thought it was great. Really love seeing the art side of things; specifically Vic and Sparth.

Oh, sorry. I thought Halo was an International Series, but apparently only US Citizens can dictate the Path of Halo.

Might aswell call N.Korea and tell them to threaten 343 for making a Pro-American game. ;D

When did all these US Navy commercials start coming on Halo channel? Almost everything I watch now has them play at start.

Yep, want me to join your Navy, but not impact your games. ;D

RowdyReverb

I wonder if the Relic remake will still be handled by Certain Affinity and include tweaks like the rest of the H2A maps. Really liked that Hobermann was involved in the others, so I hope this is no exception.

MouldyK

I wonder if the Relic remake will still be handled by Certain Affinity and include tweaks like the rest of the H2A maps. Really liked that Hobermann was involved in the others, so I hope this is no exception.

“Relic” Halo 2: Anniversary Multiplayer Map – Available via a free content update to Halo: The Master Chief Collection, we will reimagine the fan-favorite map “Relic,” fully remastered and running at 1080p resolution and 60fps. We chose this map based on its suitability for Slayer and Objective modes and its ability to support teams of varying sizes. And you can trust that Certain Affinity will tune and tweak the map to make it even better than you remember.

Even if they are working on the Multiplayer for another game, you can be sure Max would atleast peek in the room every now and then.

RSB

Banned
ODST makes more sense because they've already ported H3's engine to XB1. They'd have to start from scratch for Reach's engine, which would presumably mean much more work and time. By the time it was finished, H5 would be right around the corner.
I don't know if it makes sense or not, I'd just like to have all six Halo campaigns in the MCC. They could release it after Halo 5 for all I care.

Tzeentch

You're not alone in having fun in that mode ;)

You can probably hit up Bravo or Frank so that he can get a more detailed breakdown of what is fixed in SpOps, assuming it's not part of the patch notes.

DeadNames

Banned
Wait, am I eligible? I have the game and only played during launch week.

Yeah, if you played it online up until today then you're eligible.

Menu suite is really good. Halo 4's tracks were too techy IMO, these ones still sound like Halo tunes(tm) but are their own piece. I love it.

Blueblur1

So I've played some 15 games or so (my rank is gold 3 or something, no idea what that means). Overall, impressions are cautiously optimistic. Honestly, it really does feel a good bit like Halo, but with some neat and not-so-neat stuff added.

Good:
+guns look, sound and feel strong. Except for the sniper, which is basically identical to H4's
+back to traditional slayer focus of "know when power weapons spawn, grab them and control the map" rather than random drops
+no grenade indicators!
+60fps
+thrusters
+good map callout names
+spartan chatter
+sprinting comes at the expense of shield recharge

Bad:
-map visual design. both maps are super busy, especially the midship one. It's got this weird hazy thing going on that really obscures vision
-ADS/hovering/clambering/groundpound/spartan tackle thing. They're all totally unnecessary. Can't stand ADS at all, especially as it's not just cosmetic. Hovering is just kind of there and feels unnecessary. Clamber is way too forgiving, and pretty much kills trick jumping. Groundpound is useless 85% of the time, no reason for it to even exist other than that it looks cool. Definitely not gonna be a fan of it in KoTH matches. Spartan tackle is just 1hk melee, and isn't very fun.
-Steitzer callouts. Same problem as Halo 4 - he's way too enthusiastic, haha. Maybe I'll get used to it.
-Automatics are stupid strong. AR and SMG scoped in wreck everything.
-The DMR feels useless every time I use it. Probably because the maps are pretty small.
-Weak audio with grenades. Hard to pinpoint where they're landing even with my 7.1 headphones on.
-Killcams. Especially that music.
-Prophet's Bane glow just eats up my screen. Looks really bad
-Ranks need more prominence and explanation.
-Sword ADS. like seriously why does that even exist
-The human map is kind of bad.
-Heads up notices on power weapons. Let people figure it out for themselves when snipe spawns, that's part of the learning curve.

Even if this ends up terrible, H5 so far is better than anything in H4. I'll give 343 credit for that. I've had some real fun tonight.

Those seem like some criticisms I have lobbed and some that I would had I played the game. Regarding the trick jumps/removal of crouch jumps, Josh did mention on the 343 Twitch stream tonight that they're thinking about that. He was coming at it from the angle of bunny hoping and things like that but regardless they're aware of the lack of a crouch jump is a concern.

Ok, I know clamber is a huge new thing, and they likely will never remove it.. but hear me out. I think 343 is on to something with it, however it is right. So..

First, remove clamber.

Second, increase jump height ever so slightly.

Third, while jumping HOLD the jump button to crouch jump.

Essentially, it takes the new mechanic but allows it to be more trick jump oriented. You need to time it properly, etc.

Ok, I know clamber is a huge new thing, and they likely will never remove it.. but hear me out. I think 343 is on to something with it, however it is right. So..

First, remove clamber.

Second, increase jump height ever so slightly.

Third, while jumping HOLD the jump button to crouch jump.

Essentially, it takes the new mechanic but allows it to be more trick jump oriented. You need to time it properly, etc.

I needed this laugh bud thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom