• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
Guys, thruster pack is the real deal.

thrrrusssst
That was both intense and hella cool

ODST and an H2:A map as compensation?
Yup. Free to those who bought and played the beta up to this point.

Might have to go back to Recon.. Feels dirty.
That's because it is. Left trigger to aim will always be evil.

So I've played some 15 games or so (my rank is gold 3 or something, no idea what that means)
I believe the ranking goes bronze, silver, gold, semi pro, pro.

Nice write up btw

darthbob

Yup. Free to those who bought and played the beta up to this point.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
This is the best Christmas ever.

Like, this outdoes '97 when I got a GameBoy and Pokémon.

Mix

forgot to say something about it earlier, but ODST and Relic as compensation is fucking awesome.

94% fuck me in the #butts hole

-Ryn

Banned

Madness

Tried going back to recon controller style, already too used to the new default style. I played like ass with recon, so now I'm stuck with this default.

Been a good day.

Got some free bbq, then came home to fun Halo, news that Relic and ODST was coming to the One, and to top it all off, for placed in Gold 2, scrublord no more.

-Ryn

Banned
That was just... so good...

Like a baby turtle going out to sea. Majestic.
BAHAHAHAHA

Tried going back to recon controller style, already too used to the new default style. I played like ass with recon, so now I'm stuck with this default.
MADNESS

Aside from the left trigger for aiming how is it?

RoKKeR

Man, Halo 5 is damn good. It feels balanced, competitive, fun, and so far all of the things that I thought would annoy me haven't.

We'll see how the other maps hold up but I'm really happy with what I've played today.

Madness

MADNESS

Aside from the left trigger for aiming how is it?

Best way to put it, is that it just works for me now. Melee and reload kind of wonky. Don't think I've ground-pounded a single time yet. Just saying, personally I'm already used to default. Who knows, once I stop playing and go do some MCC and come back, default may feel weird and I'll do recon or something.

-Ryn

Banned
Best way to put it, is that it just works for me now. Melee and reload kind of wonky. Don't think I've ground-pounded a single time yet. Just saying, personally I'm already used to default. Who knows, once I stop playing and go do some MCC and come back, default may feel weird and I'll do recon or something.
Interesting.
I'll have to see what it's like. Ultimately though I think I'm going with either bumper jumper or recon. I just don't like using the left trigger to aim much. It feels weird to me. Thanks for the input.

Defect

After playing against ghost, neighbor and dersky and can say that you are fucking useless if you don't have a br.

Enough with this AR starts shit please. There is no way you can make it work.

RoKKeR

The Ranks aren't visible?

Weren't they supposed to be?
Only your Tier is visible. So I'm Gold II and I have a Gold symbol next to my name, and my friend is Gold IIi but he has the exact same emblem... There should be small differences between them is what I'm saying.

Madness

Interesting.
I'll have to see what it's like. Ultimately though I think I'm going with either bumper jumper or recon. I just don't like using the left trigger to aim much. It feels weird to me. Thanks for the input.

Oh yeah, I just meant to imply, because I've already played a few matches, I'm now "used" to it. If I were you, I'd start off at recon or bumper jumper right away then, so you don't develop a quick muscle memory to default and then feel weird if it's changed.

After playing against ghost, neighbor and dersky and can say that you are fucking useless if you don't have a br.

They are pros who've been playing this game the past year, they woulda been in control of the game no matter what loadout lol

Mix

how did so many people get codes?

It's not hard to be a member of the preview program and Frankie was nice enough to shower a lot of HaloGAF with codes if you asked politely enough/ weren't on his shit list. Which he made perfectly clear how hard that is.

-Ryn

Banned
Oh yeah, I just meant to imply, because I've already played a few matches, I'm now "used" to it. If I were you, I'd start off at recon or bumper jumper right away then, so you don't develop a quick muscle memory to default and then feel weird if it's changed.
Oh okay, I see what you're saying.
I'll do that then. Thanks for the tip dude. Best to not have to fight my own muscle memory lol

I feel like you getting donged on by people who've been playing this for more than a year isn't really indicative of any inherent balance issues, lol.

All this tier stuff is getting me excited

It really is legitimately exciting! Way more so (for me) than 1-50. It feels more... I dunno, substantial?

CliQ

***Initial Reaction and random thoughts from the Halo 5 Beta***

- Feels faster

- Feels more like a team game than any other Halo (I don't get the sense that I am a one man death machine, I need my team)

- But I will say that there is a certain athleticism to the game that I really enjoy.

- Clamber feels really good and I love the flow which again adds to the athleticism but I do miss crouch jump sometimes. (Probably because my crouch button is also my ground pound and it makes crouch jump almost impossible)

- Which brings me to the greatest addition to Halo. Thrusters. I love how it just makes opportunities for me. It should be a staple in all Halos going forward.

- Ground Pound on the other hand i'm on the fence about. Is it Halo? Either way the maximum angle that you can take is too low in my opinion. It feels very limited and hard to land.

- Charging from the front seems pointless against a shielded person (I get that you don't want people charging everywhere but if it does the same thing as a melee but disorients you then what's the point?)

- Something about the DMR feels off, can't quite put my finger on it.

- Then again something about all of the guns feel different. Maybe its the aim assist, I don't know yet. Just a thought.

- Sniper is clunky and that instant 10x is really off putting.

- I feel like my deaths were inconsistent, as if some lag was occurring. There were times when I would die around a corner from a gun shot. It is beta but just thought i'd share.

- Personally I don't think I will ever hover, it just feels so out of place for Halo in my opinion.

- I forgot about slide

- Melee feels great

- Grenades seemed fine

- I love the darker look to the game, I feel like Halo is growing up a little bit. Good move.

Overall the beta is fun, especially with a team. Thank you 343 for hosting such an early beta. I really hope you receive a lot of feedback from the community.

So, has anyone else had a problem with accidentally crouching? I'm trying to figure out if it's my controller or the game; I can't really recall doing it in the MCC, but then again I've hardly played that, lol. Seems like every time I tense my hands up I end up crouchwalking.

Using Bumper Jumper, for reference.

Defect

They are pros who've been playing this game the past year, they woulda been in control of the game no matter what loadout lol

I feel like you getting donged on by people who've been playing this for more than a year isn't really indicative of any inherent balance issues, lol.
I understand that they've been playing for who knows how long BUT it is no different than facing a competent team with brs. You cannot fight back.

Madness

#1 player in the match, almost double the rest of my teams kills combined, but because we had an AFK guy, gave the other team easy kills and we lost and it lead to a performance decrease.

Not a stealth brag, because I'm not good, just that I thought stuff like kills, deaths, score relation to rest would have a lot of weight as well, not just win/loss like in past.

Ramirez

I encountered a bug tonight where I had no gun models and everyone was aiming their weapons at the sky when they shot them, pretty funny.

I understand that they've been playing for who knows how long BUT it is no different than facing a competent team with brs. You cannot fight back.

Honestly man, I dunno. With the new movement options, I'm not having much trouble closing the range, and combined with the ADS on automatics letting me ping people from across the map (not kill them, just force them out of zoom), I've never really felt like I'm at a serious disadvantage vs. somebody with a BR or DMR. Now, that might change as you climb the skill ranks, but it still sounds like it's a matter of them being a more cohesive and experienced team than a weapon balance thing.

Still, I think we'll be getting BR starts in one of the beta weeks, so I guess we'll have a chance to put that to the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom