• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight |OT| The 8-bit adventures of Butt Butt Goes to Europe & Australia

I like the music, but does anyone else feel like it isn't quite as catchy as it could be? Like the music is really good, but it doesn't get stuck in my head very easily. It's not something I find myself humming.

I dunno, maybe it'll click if I just listen to it more.

I like the music, but does anyone else feel like it isn't quite as catchy as it could be? Like the music is really good, but it doesn't get stuck in my head very easily. It's not something I find myself humming.

I definitely agree so far. It's tone-setting, but no earworms for me just yet.

I've been rocking this game since earlier this afternoon... Wow. I thouroughly enjoying Shovel Knight so-far. Digging the 8-10bit visuals and the music is really settling well on my ears. And since I'm playing it on the 3DS, the 3D effects have been pretty cool as well, giving depth to the 2D spaces that makes for a fun visual experience.

Now, I was initially thinking that the difficulty was kind-of lacking. Until I reached
the Plague Knight and his stage, the "Exploratorium"
. That was kicking my ass at work, along with
the fight with Baz
. But this one was well worth the wait, considering how polished the game itself and its presentation is.

Toxi

Banned

Plague Knight's and King Knight's stage themes are stuck in my head.

Stoof

Is there any sort of consensus for best platform to get this on? I figure they'll all be pretty much the same but I thought I'd ask anyway.

wilflare

So far, I'm liking this a lot. I was surprised when I saw that the Wii-U version had achievements although it doesn't make a huge difference. I love the Miiverse functionality on this and I wish more games would utilize the service in this way.

what's the Miiverse functionality?

Tain

Seems like this game, in Windows, is a little laggier than it needs to be. It seems like full screen mode (not No Border) isn't actually a true exclusive full screen mode. Note that if you turn off vsync you still won't see tearing, only stuttering.

I think you're seeing some OpenGL/SDL vsync stacked on top of desktop composition vsync. Turning off in-game vsync or desktop composition will reduce lag (turn off both for minimal), but you won't get as smooth an image. And you can't easily turn off desktop composition in Windows 8 sadly.

Marjar

Banned
This game is amazing and a definite GOTY contender for me.

I like how it's easy enough that less skillful players (i.e. me) can play it and have a good time, but if people want a challenge, they can make it challenging themselves with the checkpoint system. It's brilliant.

Also this has some of the best feeling controls and hit detection I've seen in a 2D platformer.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ugh, I never knew the 3DS had limits on registered Streetpass games. Shovel Knight just told me that I had to remove one of my other enabled games to activate it on this title. I can't believe that is a thing.

Sort of wishing I went Wii U for better d-pad support afterall, but the 3D effect on 3DS is so lovely I hate to give it up. Just really starting to realize how uncomfortable the 3DS d-pad is with this one.

Fantastic game so far though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Does every Order stage have a power? I just beat Plague Knight without finding one...

I am pretty sure I found a power in that stage.
Temp Invincibility

Edit: Oh wait, I am thinking of the graveyard stage...

I definitely agree so far. It's tone-setting, but no earworms for me just yet.

Oh, just wait until you hit Propeller Knight's stage and
Tower of Fate: Entrance

I found not using any checkpoints is best for my tastes.

The level design, pace, length, and gameplay are really good to where im not annoyed at all to replay the level multiple times.

It'd be neat if they had a global leader board for high scores, to give an incentive to master the levels.

Looking forward to battle mode. Imagining players scooping orbs back at each other will get chaotic.

Have they shared any information on what the challenge mode will be?

Regiruler

Goddamnit butt mode teasing. Give us the code already YCG!

Iron Man is not enough to satisfy us (the code for which I hid in the thread but you can probably find through a few google searches).

sonicmj1

I beat the game a little while ago. It took me about six and a half hours to clear, though I definitely took my time.

I really enjoyed it. I don't have a lot of first-hand familiarity with the 8-bit games this takes inspiration from, so I found the challenge stiff enough on its own (though I didn't make much use of the phase bracelet). It controls really well, and the levels do a good job of exploring all the different gimmicks and traps that get introduced. It's also a charming game.

I backed it on a whim, so this feels like a really nice surprise. It's an easy game to recommend.

Kai

Anyone think the 3ds version gimped in anyway? Trying to decide between the Wii U and 3DS version. Would like the ability to travel with it.

drotahorror

I can't get ANY achievements on the Steam version to work. Oh wells. Good game, but not blowing me away like some others. Things could change though.

Eyothrie

Shovel Knight might be my GOTY so far. I'm at a point in my life where this game is just hitting all the right notes, and I feel like a kid playing it. It's been a while since I've felt like this

I've through my first three Knight encounters and I'm fucking LOVING this game. It's so much more than a nostalgia trip; this game is right up there with the best platformers I've ever played.

Eyothrie

Anyone think the 3ds version gimped in anyway? Trying to decide between the Wii U and 3DS version. Would like the ability to travel with it.

I double dipped, and I'm enjoying the 3DS version the best. The 3D is amazing. The layers and sprites just pop. Wii U version is nice too, but it's harder to appreciate without the layers seperated like the are on 3DS

Eyothrie

Ugh, I never knew the 3DS had limits on registered Streetpass games. Shovel Knight just told me that I had to remove one of my other enabled games to activate it on this title. I can't believe that is a thing.

Sort of wishing I went Wii U for better d-pad support afterall, but the 3D effect on 3DS is so lovely I hate to give it up. Just really starting to realize how uncomfortable the 3DS d-pad is with this one.

Fantastic game so far though.

I'm using the circle pad. Works better than I ever imagined it would

zroid

Banned
The stupid wal-mart near me didn't have any eShop cards. Looks like they're phasing them out or something. :\

Trying to get one from wal-mart because I have a gift card. I'll check another wal-mart tomorrow, hopefully they'll have some. Sigh.

TheOGB

Banned
I can't get ANY achievements on the Steam version to work. Oh wells. Good game, but not blowing me away like some others. Things could change though.
They didn't pop up the first time I played and got a few, but they registered. Today all but one popped up/registered (I Am Alive :/)

Every time I start the game I get a Steam Save Error, though.

SegaShack

This game introduces its mechanics in such a natural way, through gameplay. I love it. I'm reminded of DKC: Tropical Freeze in that regard. It's how all games should handle teaching the player how everything works.
This is how a lot of games were pre handholding forced tutorial days.

Thoraxes

GO GO GO

OST IS LIVE

http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/shovel-knight-original-soundtrack

KeKBWci.jpg

Edit: Arrange Album too!

http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/strike-the-earth-shovel-knight-arranged

ijNIy1e.jpg

Lren

Beat it just a short while ago. Such an awesome game, considering double dipping on 3ds as well at some point. Love how creative you can get with relics when it comes to certain challenges.

Eusis

Decided to give the Pro Controller another shot, binding Jump to A, Attack to B, and Relic to X (keeping Select as the Gear button) and I actually think this works pretty well. Both the Relic and Attack buttons are one button away from the Jump button, though it'd be somewhat ideal perhaps if attack would be the one above rather than below. Then again some of the most intense moments requires Relic to be more comfortably accessible.

wilflare

okay so I bought this on the WiiU
due to the 20% off eShop credit (long ago) + DDP (hope it comes up)

3DS is... tempting due to the Streetpass functions but I really don't like gaming on it.
(hope it comes to Vita)

anything the PC version will offer over WiiU/3DS?

Top Bottom