• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight |OT| The 8-bit adventures of Butt Butt Goes to Europe & Australia

maxcriden

SipXtdf.png

VLPNgRF.png

Developer: Yacht Club Games
Release Date: June 26th, 2014 (Windows/Steam/3DS/WiiU), OSX and Linux TBD
Platform Pages: Steam Greenlight, WiiU, 3DS
Price: $14.99 USD
Platforms: Wii U/3DS eShop, Humble Store, Steam, GOG
ESRB: E for everyone and PEGI 7
Thread Title Meaning: I'd tell you about the Shovel, it won't feed your troll, but it's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout gaming's soul​

DEZTU0G.png

Shovel Knight is a sweeping classic action adventure game with awesome gameplay, memorable characters, and an 8-bit retro aesthetic created by Yacht Club Games. You play as the eponymous Shovel Knight, a small knight with a huge quest. Shovel Knight has come to this valley with two goals: to defeat the evil Enchantress and save his lost beloved. He wields a ShovelBlade; a multipurpose weapon whose techniques have now been lost to the ages. Always honest and helpful, Shovel Knight is a shining example of the code of Shovelry: Slash Mercilessly and Dig Tirelessly!

However, between Shovel Knight and his beloved stands a cadre of villainous knights. These terrible foes, known as The Order of No Quarter, have been dispatched to prevent Shovel Knight from reaching the Enchantress at any cost! If you love games with perfect platforming, beautiful art, infectious music, crazy bosses, humor and levity, and real heart… Shovel Knight is for you!​
KVoGDu3.png

• Miiverse support through the Digger’s Diary – leave comments similar to Dark souls tied to each location in the game!
  • Multiple controller support: WiiU Gamepad, WiiU Pro Controller, Wii Remote, Wii Remote + Nunchuck, Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Pro
  • Touch screen support for quick select of items
cBPvIl5.png

• Stereoscopic eye-popping 3D display support
  • StreetPass Battle Arena
  • Play Coin support – Can be traded for Gold
  • Touch screen support for quick select of items
qyju1XH.png

• Steam Trading Cards
  • Achievement support
  • Cloud Saving
  • Big Picture
  • Support for every controller we can find!

GGpEGAr.png

GrZ5ANM.png

M4wOBkd.png

ANsoOgB.png
PvieoIE.png
qFWgWKI.png
75GNeb2.png
IeBh8Sr.png
hdnYRuf.png
icbAfml.png
BdhEdAk.png
XOxiCtr.png
V1YTewS.png

MMKXeGF.png
Gmsu4Co.png
xN9V5lq.png
SbqEqye.png
3GC1kEr.png
Br5cLke.png
X5Ot4XL.png
MfFnbSA.png
jSZShEc.png
luluq28.png

tpFjt3j.png

R0Mwv3V.png

WIvggdx.gif

A very special thanks to kubus, who was an immense help in creating this OT!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
kickstarted this ages ago, and even though i disliked their attitude towards the vita i'm still REALLY looking forward to playing this on my pc

maxcriden

Thanks for the OT appreciation, y'all, I really put a lot of work into it and kubus did an immense amount of work on it. (I really hope you guys like the title!)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Love the thread title! Getting this on the Wii U day one. A game like this should be played on a Nintendo system imo :)

Eusis

Ohh, you can use the Wii U Game Pad in conjunction with another controller. Sounds like that might be the best (albeit somewhat cubersome) compromise between old school style control and modern options on Wii U, use the Wii Remote sideways and tap on the touch screen for relics.

Geedorah

Is this released for backers first? or everyone at once? I put down for the 3DS version.

Everyone all at once, all platforms and tiers have same day parity.

To be quite frank, all the wait has severally tempered my hype for this game. Hope it is still good, and warranted all the extra time...

Chairhome

For anyone that has played it, is the downward shovel movement hard? I had a tough time doing "hard pogo" on the Ducktales remake, despite playing that way as a wee lad.

Either way, pumped for it. Backed and ready for my Wii U version.

Guesong

Will be picking it up Day 1 on WiiU.

I somewhat regret not backing the kickstarter when I had the chance but on the plus side it lets me throw more money at them. Game looks so awesome (and omg the soundtrack!)

kubus

I might just have to pick this up after all... Working on the graphics for this OT made me hyped for the game, haha.

The spritework is so cool.

Eusis

This is the first KS project I support that actually materializes :3 Super hyped.
This one's actually kind of a strange situation for me, because it's the first for me to actually release. . . but Divinity's been playable in Early Access for months now, and will be out just a few days later.

Still, nice to see the returns coming in!

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Correct. The playable knights are King Knight, Plague Knight, and Specter Knight.
Coincidentally, those were my 3 top picks.

Nice. Hmm, I think Propeller Knight would've been fun. Actually so would Polar Knight. Hell, they'd all be great. Such good characters, all of them. This game is gonna be fantastic.

Regiruler

Max, it's not funny to refer to that song anymore.
Unless you're implying that Shovel Knight is Pyro.
Nice. Hmm, I think Propeller Knight would've been fun. Actually so would Polar Knight. Hell, they'd all be great. Such good characters, all of them. This game is gonna be fantastic.

I should mention that none of them are in version 1.0. They are planned for future content updates.
Last I remember, each will come out separately from each other, but paired with more content. Example, King Knight could come out in 2.0 (or 1.1, however they number their updates) along with Challenge Mode or Gender Swap mode (or hell, even Battle Mode-just because it was the last stretch goal doesn't mean it will be the last feature added in).

Nachos

Can't wait. Almost done with 100%-ing 1001 Spikes, so this'll be a nice palette cleanser in terms of difficulty. Between that, this, and Gunvolt, this is going to be a good summer for portable titles.

For anyone that has played it, is the downward shovel movement hard? I had a tough time doing "hard pogo" on the Ducktales remake, despite playing that way as a wee lad.

Either way, pumped for it. Backed and ready for my Wii U version.

I haven't played the game, so I could be wrong, but I do know that the downward shovel move is inspired more by Zelda II: The Adventure of Link than DuckTales, so I'm guessing you simply press down on the control pad during a jump to perform the move.

Glass Rebel

I keep staring at Kickstarter, waiting for the EU date to appear so I can start looking forward to getting my 3DS code. Now that I own a Wii U though, I'm thinking about changing teams... or just buy both
and the Steam version later.

Top Bottom