• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight |OT| The 8-bit adventures of Butt Butt Goes to Europe & Australia

Muzy72

Banned
Wonder how soon we'll get our backer keys. Hopefully we don't have to wait till the eShop updates at noon EST next week D:

I said this in another thread, but this is my most anticipated game this year. It looks like they really nailed it. I'll be getting it on Wii U for off TV play (should be great for this) and because the Pro Controller rules.

Ainaurdur

I backed the KS, getting the 3DS edition, looking forward to having ...depth? to my digging action!

But I am open to possibly buying a second copy on Steam later as well.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think PC as the later option is the best bet, considering it has the best chance of getting a deep discount eventually. That is, if you know you'll be double-dipping.

OMGGGG kubus is amazing check out my new avatar!!
Whoa that's awesome.

El Odio

Banned
Sadly didn't participate in the kickstarter but I've been hyped since trailer one. Thinking about double dipping for Wii U and Steam.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Ohh, you can use the Wii U Game Pad in conjunction with another controller. Sounds like that might be the best (albeit somewhat cubersome) compromise between old school style control and modern options on Wii U, use the Wii Remote sideways and tap on the touch screen for relics.
You know I think I might use the wiimote sideways

The embargo is: June 26th at 9AM EDT

I will say, this is the most "Nintendo" game I've ever played. Not wearing the clothes for nostalgia, like it full-on feels like a lost Ducktales/Rescue Rangers-era Capcom game.

maxcriden

The embargo is: June 26th at 9AM EDT

I will say, this is the most "Nintendo" game I've ever played. Not wearing the clothes for nostalgia, like it full-on feels like a lost Ducktales/Rescue Rangers-era Capcom game.

Awesome. And, thanks for the embargo info!

Excited for this game to come out, but irritated that it's been a whole week since I emailed Humble about switching my platform and I have yet to get a response from a human being.

Eusis

Can't choose between the 3DS and Wii U version...

Nah, I'll just double-dip :p

Great thread OP! Subscribed!
If Vita were in the mix I'd probably feel more conflicted. Then again it's probably ripe Plus fodder so it'd still probably be better just to go Nintendo, get in a Steam sale, then hope for a Plus freebie (failing that, a Plus deal.)

EDIT: Also the fact it looks (mostly) like an NES game, so naturally it should go on the latest direct descendent of the NES. Not the "father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate" console.

I just got my Wii U review code yesterday, might be getting a 3DS code tomorrow as well so I can compare the two in my review. This game is awesome and everything I was expecting it to be... and more.

You guys are in for a real treat.

Aeana

From the Developer comments, I'd pen this as "intended to be slightly less difficult than any given megaman".
A reasonable challenge, but nothing stupid like the original Castlevania.

If it's easier than Mega Man 6, we've got a problem. That's one step above Kirby.

Regiruler

If it's easier than Mega Man 6, we've got a problem. That's one step above Kirby.

I thought Six was fine.
Although it was my second and I hadn't played 10 in years at the time, so YMMV.

In all honesty SK is probably going for a more flexible difficulty system. While I'm not a huge fan of such systems (I feel that making my own difficulty is just cheating myself as opposed to a proper challenge) I can see why they did it.
And there's going to be challenge mode later.

Regiruler

6 is one of my favorite MM games, but it is a looot easier than the others.

Even the bitch known as Plant Man's stage?
No weapons of course, I prefer to judge MM stage difficulty based on first choice.

I suppose I really don't have much insight into the subject, to be quite honest.

EDIT: I saw this earlier but forgot to post it: T-Shirts and Merchandise! - shows the shirts again which were detailed in a prior KS update (the shirt that resembles NES boxart is new), briefly mentions some of the indie collaborations, shows the new fan-designed cookie cutter (there goes 5 dollars), and reposts the Crowsmack poster from way back when (I still use this as my phone screensaver).

Any word on difficulty? This isn't going to be masochistically hard, I hope.

So far it's pretty easy as retro-inspired games go. It's not exactly a cakewalk, but what I've played to this point (still in the first half of the game) won't even come close to testing platforming veterans. Doesn't matter, though; it's still incredibly fun!

I'd say Mega Man 5 was a *lot* easier than 6. MM 5's actually my favorite game in the Classic series, but my only problem with it is that it's just stupid easy. MM 6 does have some somewhat difficult segments, at least (Plant Man's stage... sorta... and the Mr. X stage with the evil Beat-like birds that come out of the tubes, as well as the second Mr. X boss).

Aeana

I'd say Mega Man 5 was a *lot* easier than 6. MM 5's actually my favorite game in the Classic series, but my only problem with it is that it's just stupid easy. MM 6 does have some somewhat difficult segments, at least (Plant Man's stage... sorta... and the Mr. X stage with the evil Beat-like birds that come out of the tubes, as well as the second Mr. X boss).
I don't agree at all. MM6's power suit stuff made the game dramatically easier than any other MM.

Regiruler

I don't agree at all. MM6's power suit stuff made the game dramatically easier than any other MM.

I really don't feel that abusing one mechanic and then criticizing the game's difficulty as a whole is really a fair analysis.
Although I don't really think the Jet adapter (or the Power Adapter) was all that bad, myself. I did like when they were intentionally implemented into some of the later stages, however.

You can't slide as Power Mega Man or Jet Mega Man, though, and Mega Man's Super Mega Buster in MM 5 absolutely wrecks everything in that game. Everything. And it's always available to you.

I do agree that MM 6 is definitely the second easiest MM after 5, though... except for maybe 2 on Normal.

daydream

Banned

I think the dispute about MM5 being easier than 6 or vice-versa is one of the eternal MM debates, just like the battle for the crown between 2 and 3. I personally agree, though, that the power suit makes 6 the easier game.

lem0n

Got one of the avatars! Love it lol.

I really wish this game was coming to XBL, but I think I'll just get it on Steam. I remember Game Grumps playing this a while back and being into it ever since.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Had to double dip for steam version since we don't know how long it'll take for the game to hit Euro on Wii U. Kind of sour about that, but the hype for the game is killing the grapes.

duckroll

I'm so excited. I can't wait. Finally the day is coming! Just one more week! June 26! I've been waiting for this all my life! The event of the century! It's almost time for.... Transformers: Age of Extinction in IMAX® 3D!

Oh, I guess I'll also be playing Shovel Knight on the 3DS after that. Yeah.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to buy this on the 3DS. I was considering Wii U but I'm never home so it makes more sense for the portable version. Hope the 3D is good.

Spineker

Banned
From what I've seen of this game it looks like the boss fights are awesome but everything in between is very monotonous.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
From what I've seen of this game it looks like the boss fights are awesome but everything in between is very monotonous.

have you.... played it?

or are we doing that thing where we review games based off a handful of screen shots and videos lol

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
ANsoOgB.png

Picking this avatar up. Neato! Can't wait to get my shovelry on.

Top Bottom