• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Gameplay (E3 2015)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
yeah.Is the same critic i made.The lack of apropiated physic reaction to shoots,above all with the pistol, is what makes shooting lack punching and is why i understand some of the criticism to shooting mechanics.In TLOU this was not the case.Shooting was satisfying, because enemies were less bullet sponges and so there were faster reactions to bullet impacts(i dont rember if there was also blood splashes).

He shoots the guy 4 times, and 3 of those times hit him in his vest and the other on his shoulder.

edit: I am sure a headshot would have taken the guy down in one.

reKon

Banned
The game looks amazing and I'm very happy to be getting uncharted 2 vibes from the campaign demo.

yeah anyone who's not a raging fanboy for naughty dog shouldn't be allowed here. You sound like a child.

Threads aren't solely for the purpose of circle jerking a game. There are plenty of legitimate and classic points made against the uncharted series and it's fine if people continue to bring them up if they're not change in any iteration of the series. The simplistic platforming is one of these quips and luckily they're trying to change that with things like the grappling hook. The naughty defense force is vocal as hell so why can't people who don't like the way the game looks voice their opinions as well. This is a discussion forum, not a lets knee jerk react to everything forum.

Yeah, because I clearly said that or strongly suggested that critics shouldn't be in this thread...

If you're going to call the game unimpressive in this thread, you better back it up with legitimate reasons why you feel that it's not. Fortunately, there haven't been many drive by posts, but the explanations to how UC4 is unimpressive have been either poor or borderline troll-like (from at least one poster here).

Ishida

Banned
We have come a long way since the early PS3 days.... :3

Ohxpx9O.jpg

I don't know if I want to continue discussing with you. You're coming across as intensely defensive when I've said nothing offensive at all.

My original reply was regarding the poster saying it the most impressive demonstration of the conference. I disagreed and explained why. Where did I call into question, the entirety of Uncharted 4's gameplay.

Look, I'm not a big fan of the series I'll admit it (loved the first one, didn't care for the formula afterwards), so rather than get the troll card pulled and risk a ban, I'll dip anyway and let you enjoy the thread.

There is nothing defensive about what I said, Saying the chase in HL2 is as impressive is well, silly to put it mildly, there is a night and day difference, but feel free to not discuss with me further.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, because I clearly said that or strongly suggested that critics shouldn't be in this thread...

If you're going to call the game unimpressive in this thread, you better back it up with legitimate reasons why you feel that it's not. Fortunately, there haven't been many drive by posts, but the explanations to how UC4 is unimpressive have been either poor or borderline troll-like (from at least one poster here).

Unimpressive is the biggest scapegoat word in gaming when used out of context. Like the majority of those who use it.

Sjefen

No video but impressions from IGN on the second part of the demo:
Where the Press Conference ended with Drake grappling onto a truck and preparing himself for an impact with scaffolding, the demo I saw kept going. Nate crashed through the wood, and continued to be dragged through the water underneath him. He climbed up the rope just in time to begun being dragged through a stretch of mud. The attention to detail as Drake got increasingly messy as tried to regain control was incredible.

After pulling out his pistol and taking out a handful of enemies flanking him on motorcycles, Drake eventually clamored his way onto the back of the truck. He hopped to various vehicles that were all partaking in the chase, eventually tossing out the driver of one and commandeering the vehicle for himself. He eventually caught up with his target, who turned out to be his brother Sam, played by Troy Baker. Though the circumstances weren’t revealed during the demo, Sam was being chased by a whole mess of guys intent on killing him all sorts of dead.

Of course, the second Drake finally caught up with his brother, a truck t-boned his vehicle. When Nate finally came to, he pinned underneath his up-turned truck. As gasoline puddled around him, small fires started to grow. Nathan had to drag himself out of the wreckage, and was about to be killed by one of his pursuers before Sam showed up and saved the day. You hopped on the back his bike and sped off, only to be chased once again by the armored vehicle from the E3 demo, which at this point was pretty much a Terminator on wheels.

The camera swung around to the front of the bike, and as Sam sped away from the truck and wove in and out of obstacles, Nate tried taking out the vehicles with his guns. The scene eventually made its way to a shipping yard, and Sam finally outwitted the Terminator by sliding the bike underneath a massive cargo container and tricking the truck into running into it head-on.

Sam and Nathan rode off into the sunset as innocent dock workers looked on in sheer horror at the carnage that befell their usually-calm job. But that wasn’t the end of the demo.

The scene shifted to later on that night, as the pair rolled into the Ikopa Motel and met up with Sully. The three surveyed a map and cypher, remarking about how they’ve finally discovered the location of Libertalia. Libertalia was a mythical pirate colony located somewhere off the coast of Madagascar, and was as supposed haven for thousands of pirates. The key here is that they stored all of their loot in one common location, which is what the thieves have their eyes on. As Sully remarked, “So where is this commie pirate sanctuary?”

I was hoping the gifs here are only from the stage conference but it is now getting into spoiler territory. I dont want this game to get completely spoiled like how UC3 was. The best set piece was spoiled before the game released.

They have been upfront about not wanting to repeat UC3 and spoil all of the key moments. The couple of seconds of extra footage you've seen came from a less than 30 second trailer that they also released yesterday.

He shoots the guy 4 times, and 3 of those times hit him in his vest and the other on his shoulder.

edit: I am sure a headshot would have taken the guy down in one.
yeah but reactions are quite generic, he doesnt react depending where goes the bullet and he barely moves his feet or body backwards.One shoot sould be enough to change his animation afterwards, he should look for cover to avoid being shot again or shoot back with an injured animation not like nothing had happened.Blood would help also to the shooting feed back.

Looking at Nate's clothing, I'm thinking this level leads directly into the PSX demo (or a level close to it). I also think it happens early on in the game.

xxracerxx

yeah but reactions are quite generic, he doesnt react depending where goes the bullet and he doesnt move his feet.One shoot sould be enough to change his animation afterwards, he should look for cover to avoid being shot again or shoot back with an injured animation not like nothing had happened.Blood would help also to the shooting feed back.

I am not sure how he would have time to find cover after being staggered by the first shot then the other shots following a one second later.

edit: Wait, are you talking about Drake or the enemy?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
yeah but reactions are quite generic, he doesnt react depending where goes the bullet and he doesnt move his feet.One shoot sould be enough to change his animation afterwards, he should look for cover to avoid being shot again or shoot back with an injured animation not like nothing had happened.Blood would help also to the shooting feed back.

Depends on the power of a handgun used, and this game is about over the ton campy fun.

This is not ARMA or a military simulator.

Oh and there is that (the game is a year away almost) thing going for it.

Still can't get over the guy who was snuffed by Drake's fisticuffs and rolling on the ground in a whimsical daze.

I am not sure how he would have time to find cover after being staggered by the first shot then the other shots following a one second later.

edit: Wait, are you talking about Drake or the enemy?
well, a normal reaction if there is no cover to protect would be to throw down to the ground.The thing is this game is so astounding in all departments that the shooting mechanics shortcomings stand out more with each new entry.

xxracerxx

in love with new Elena, feel sorry for new Sully, he looks so old :-(

Well Richard is no spring chicken himself:

q8grktT.jpg

well, a normal reaction if there is no cover to protect would be to throw down to the ground.The thing is this game is so astounding in all departments that the shooting mechanics shortcomings stand out more with each new entry.

Dude...he was shot from the side, staggered and was shot 3 more times. I have no idea how you think his reaction time could foresee being shot from the side, since he believed Drake was still near Sully.

Also, videogames.

Depends on the power of a handgun used, and this game is about over the ton campy fun.

This is not ARMA or a military simulator.

Oh and there is that (the game is a year away almost) thing going for it.

Still can't get over the guy who was snuffed by Drake's fisticuffs and rolling on the ground in a whimsical daze.
i want it to improve.Arma has the ballistics but not the shooting feedback that is what would make this game much more enjoyable as 75% of it is shooting, and the main gameplay criticism is made.See for example The Division reveal,not the last one, video.There they nailed it.

kinggroin

Banned
well, a normal reaction if there is no cover to protect would throw down to the ground.The thing is this game is so astounding in all departments that the shooting mechanics shortcomings stand out more with each new entry.

I dream of an Uncharted game that's like 10% gun fights, 50% platforming through crazy scenarios and 40% puzzle solving (involving fun platforming)

photogaz

I'm disappointed Naughty Dog have decided not to show the floor demo to the general public. I hope we get to see it at least at some point soon.

yeah but reactions are quite generic, he doesnt react depending where goes the bullet and he barely moves his feet or body backwards.One shoot sould be enough to change his animation afterwards, he should look for cover to avoid being shot again or shoot back with an injured animation not like nothing had happened.Blood would help also to the shooting feed back.

I think they're pushing it even by Teen rating standards. There's a limit how much nuances you can place before the rating may escalate. Uncharted has always been that pulp style action but to the extreme end like TLOU. This also explains why the bullets don't have that solid "pop" when being shot.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Oh but the new consoles are only a small leap with diminishing returns some would have you try and think.

/s

GTFO now with that narrative with what we have seen this E3
That's actually a perfect example of diminishing returns, especially if you to say compare these with the character models from UC3. Diminishing returns is a real thing, but most people ignorantly think that the mention of it means "graphics aren't getting better in any meaningful way." Obviously they are, doesn't mean that the concept doesn't exist though.

That's actually a perfect example of diminishing returns, especially if you to say compare these with the character models from UC3. Diminishing returns is a real thing, but most people ignorantly think that the mention of it means "graphics aren't getting better in any meaningful way." Obviously they are, doesn't mean that the concept doesn't exist though.

It hasn't hit the point of diminishing returns really. Sure the transformational difference is less, but the difference is still significant.

Arondight

It looks like he does though, When Drake shoots the NPC on the side on the right waist area, the NPC turns towards the right and takes a few steps back. When you see Drake shooting at the shoulder area, you see the NPC collapsing in the same general direction. This is within a few seconds.
Not even sure what you're looking at...

pTf4HuF.gif

The NPC barely has any time to react to the shots. This clip shows the opposite of what you're saying. It's incredibly responsive to the shots.

It looks like he does though, When Drake shoots the NPC on the side on the right waist area, the NPC turns towards the right and takes a few steps back. When you see Drake shooting at the shoulder area, you see the NPC collapsing in the same general direction. This is within a few seconds.
Not even sure what you're looking at...

pTf4HuF.gif

The NPC barely has any time to react to the shots. This clip shows the opposite of what you're saying. It's incredibly responsive to the shots.
Yeah, he's reaching and doubling down with his posts imo. I don't see anything wrong with this sequence, and the animations are top notch.

yeah.Is the same critic i made.The lack of apropiated physic reaction to shoots,above all with the pistol, is what makes shooting lack punching and is why i understand some of the criticism to shooting mechanics.In TLOU this was not the case.Shooting was satisfying, because enemies were less bullet sponges and so there were faster strong reactions to bullet impacts(i dont rember if there was also blood splashes).
I don't get this? The Enemy is shot in the stomach and appropriately keels downwards as if he has been struck in the middle. How is that not an appropriate physical reaction?

jmaine_ph

No video but impressions from IGN on the second part of the demo:
Where the Press Conference ended with Drake grappling onto a truck and preparing himself for an impact with scaffolding, the demo I saw kept going. Nate crashed through the wood, and continued to be dragged through the water underneath him. He climbed up the rope just in time to begun being dragged through a stretch of mud. The attention to detail as Drake got increasingly messy as tried to regain control was incredible.

After pulling out his pistol and taking out a handful of enemies flanking him on motorcycles, Drake eventually clamored his way onto the back of the truck. He hopped to various vehicles that were all partaking in the chase, eventually tossing out the driver of one and commandeering the vehicle for himself. He eventually caught up with his target, who turned out to be his brother Sam, played by Troy Baker. Though the circumstances weren’t revealed during the demo, Sam was being chased by a whole mess of guys intent on killing him all sorts of dead.

Of course, the second Drake finally caught up with his brother, a truck t-boned his vehicle. When Nate finally came to, he pinned underneath his up-turned truck. As gasoline puddled around him, small fires started to grow. Nathan had to drag himself out of the wreckage, and was about to be killed by one of his pursuers before Sam showed up and saved the day. You hopped on the back his bike and sped off, only to be chased once again by the armored vehicle from the E3 demo, which at this point was pretty much a Terminator on wheels.

The camera swung around to the front of the bike, and as Sam sped away from the truck and wove in and out of obstacles, Nate tried taking out the vehicles with his guns. The scene eventually made its way to a shipping yard, and Sam finally outwitted the Terminator by sliding the bike underneath a massive cargo container and tricking the truck into running into it head-on.

Sam and Nathan rode off into the sunset as innocent dock workers looked on in sheer horror at the carnage that befell their usually-calm job. But that wasn’t the end of the demo.

The scene shifted to later on that night, as the pair rolled into the Ikopa Motel and met up with Sully. The three surveyed a map and cypher, remarking about how they’ve finally discovered the location of Libertalia. Libertalia was a mythical pirate colony located somewhere off the coast of Madagascar, and was as supposed haven for thousands of pirates. The key here is that they stored all of their loot in one common location, which is what the thieves have their eyes on. As Sully remarked, “So where is this commie pirate sanctuary?”
God! Why couldn't they show us this! That would've be great to see!

Top Bottom