• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

MNC said:
Hmm. Twilight princess has awesome character models and character textures but garbage environment textures :/

Someone should make a complete index on games, how they run, what can be seen awesomely (textures better, textures garbage) with a couple of screens, and what certain settings would be good to use :D

Endless Ocean looks great as well
When I fiiiinally get my new PC (should be soon now that I'm back in the country) I would help with this if other people were willing.

That's an interesting series of shots as it allows us to compare the game to the higher resolution Silent Hill 3 shots.

sh3_screen009.jpg

mbmgx2.jpg
Dude, it's not fair to compare SH3 to any other in the series. The dev's did some crazy satanic shit to get it to look that good. That's why Team Silent couldn't continue with the series after that, they ran out of firstborn sons.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I should be doing hw said:
Dude, it's not fair to compare SH3 to any other in the series. The dev's did some crazy satanic shit to get it to look that good. That's why Team Silent couldn't continue with the series after that, they ran out of firstborn sons.

Seriously.

2sb4jr7.jpg

2ykxeew.jpg

ienrrp.jpg

hateradio said:
is that pc or ps2 emu?

Textures look low res for PC so I'm guessing PS2 emu.

For the record, if you have the HD boot disk and can enable vertical expansion on your TV you can run SH3 in 720p with black bars on a regular PS2. The internal resolution of the game runs higher than most PS2 games. Looks pretty amazing, almost next generation.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
MidgarBlowedUp said:
The internal resolution of the game runs higher than most PS2 games.
Not really - it runs "standard" 512x512 (back in the day I ran the game on devkit to look at some things). That said, the texture work was definitely above what average SDTV could resolve in those days.

As for PC version, it used the same textures but back in 2003 they stood up fine against other stuff.

_bla_

Sapiens said:
Is it even possible for Nintendo to release a WiiHD at a 250ish price point that will even come close to replicating these emulator screen shots???

Sure. But it would require quite a bit of non-recurring engineering costs, their hardware architecture would need to change more than it changed from Gamecube to Wii.

There are two mains ways I believe they could do it:
  1. Easiest and likely also cheapest way would be adding some additional embedded DRAM to Hollywood (from 3mb to 8mb), some additional texture pipelines and scaling up the gpu clock to get enough fillrate for 720p, shrinking the GPU from 90nm to 45nm could be done at the same time to save manufacturing costs. Maybe a little speedbump for the CPU too.
    Some additional memory bandwidth and space would be needed, but replacing the single 64MB GDDR3 chip with a 128MB GDDR3 at a much higher clockspeed or a GDDR5 chip should solve that problem at a low additional cost. Also they should add some more NAND flash, e.g.: 512MB to 4 or 8GB. That would not only provide more space for VC and Wiiware games but also allow for game patches to be stored. An important feature because good to perfect compatibility while also bumping up the resolution would likely require game specific patches. This approach should be pretty cheap, so with such a WiiHD selling at $249 they would likely still operate at the same kind of margin or even a bit more than with a regular Wii at $199. On other hand the quality of texture filtering wouldn't improve and there would likely be no AA or a simplistic AA. On the other hand the compatibility would likely be very good (perfect while rendering in SD). I think this could be the way to go if they want a WiiHD.
  2. Another option would be replacing the GPU completely with a PC GPU based design with a hardware translation layer for compatibility. That would require way more engineering than the other option. Compatibility could still be good, but likely not perfect. The GPU could have way better features than the old Wii GPU, including good AA and state of the art texture filtering. Manufacturing should be more expensive than with other option. I think this is the way to go for a Wii 2. (with CPU replacement too and >= 512 MB instead of just going from 64MB to 128MB)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SH3 was one of those rare examples, much like RE4 for the GCN, where everything is crafted around the hardware by an extremely talented team. An engine that takes into account every inch of what’s available, and art assets meticulously crafted around each on-screen scenario.

Shattered Memories isn’t as big a technological achievement as a) Climax haven’t had as much experience with the hardware, b) it probably had less funding and development time, and c) Team Silent signed their souls away to the devil.

That aside, SH:SM still looks quite nice on the Wii, mostly thanks to the shadows and lighting of which stand out in the sea of hideous games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
EatChildren said:
SH3 was one of those rare examples, much like RE4 for the GCN, where everything is crafted around the hardware by an extremely talented team. An engine that takes into account every inch of what’s available, and art assets meticulously crafted around each on-screen scenario.

Shattered Memories isn’t as big a technological achievement as a) Climax haven’t had as much experience with the hardware, b) it probably had less funding and development time, and c) Team Silent signed their souls away to the devil.

That aside, SH:SM still looks quite nice on the Wii, mostly thanks to the shadows and lighting of which stand out in the sea of hideous games.
Having played it last night, I agree that Shattered Memories isn't a bad effort.

Unfortunately, I thought it felt rather unpolished. The framerate is all over the place, there are annoying stutters when moving from room to room (and sometimes Harry walks right through a door), and the characters models are pretty weak. It's nice that they stream the game world similar to the Fatal Frame series, but they could certainly have done a better job. If they could have just stabilized the framerate and clean up the weird hitches that occur while loading it would feel a lot better.

xemumanic

Templar Wizard said:
Does anyone have a good wiimote to 360pad config?
i just cant seem to get it working right.

Neither have I. That's why its a good thing that bluetooth adapters for the PC are dirt cheap. Like......... a dollar or two. :D

Brofist

Templar Wizard said:
Does anyone have a good wiimote to 360pad config?
i just cant seem to get it working right.
You have to be using one of the more recent builds to be able to button map a 360 pad directly in Dolphin, otherwise you need Xpadder as mentioned.

JADS

The latest svn revision vastly improves graphics when using the DirectX plugin. A new hack has been introduced that implements efb copy scaling. Remember how in certain parts (When swimming, the observatory and the starting level) SMG looked like crap?

Before:

After:

Lime

The PC port of SH3 lets you set the texture resolution to 4096x4096. And there's a widescreen mod too. I played it @ 1920x1080 some months back with texture resolution set to max. Got some screencaps if anyone are interested. It's remarkable, that it's a 6 years old game, and many graphical aspects of the SH3 look better than most current gen games. Selling of their soul to the devil, indeed.

/non-related to the Wii emu discussion

Aesius

I'm so confused by this emulator.

I tried running REmake on the newest revision and found it to be completely glitched and unplayable. After trial and error, I found an older version that worked almost perfectly up until about halfway through the game. Now, I am stuck at a door that crashes every time I walk through it.

Tried Wind Waker on the newest revision, and it seemed to work perfectly for about 15 minutes - then it randomly black screened and froze :(

Is there a list of which revision is the most compatible with certain games? It seems odd to me that REmake would run better on a revision from nearly a year ago than it would on the most recent one.

I absolutely love the visuals produced by this thing but the glitchiness and instability are really, really fucking annoying.

big_z

Fafalada said:
Not really - it runs "standard" 512x512 (back in the day I ran the game on devkit to look at some things). That said, the texture work was definitely above what average SDTV could resolve in those days.

As for PC version, it used the same textures but back in 2003 they stood up fine against other stuff.

those pics are from the pc version which had optional high resoltion textures included. it makes a huge difference over the ps2 version... imo the SH3 PC still looks really good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
big_z said:
those pics are from the pc version which had optional high resoltion textures included. it makes a huge difference over the ps2 version... imo the SH3 PC still looks really good.
Those pics most certainly were NOT from the PC version. Some of them were high resolution shots released for the game before the PS2 version was released. There was no real PC version at that point (outside of what was being developed for PS2). Those textures are exactly the same as what you see on PS2.

The only difference is resolution.

Here's a poorly captured shot of that save room followed by a shrunk down version of those above shot (which you claimed to be taken from the PC). You can definitely see that the assets are exactly the same. The PS2 version, in person, looks better than that captured shot but obviously not as clean as the second shot (which was just a bullshot).

s_screen013.jpg

ienrrp.jpg

The shots I posted were all pre-released PS2 shots rendered at a higher resolution.

More examples (the first IGN shot is crushing the blacks, which is the fault of their capture equipment)

sh3_0116_3.jpg

2sb4jr7.jpg

sh3_0116_29.jpg

2ykxeew.jpg

The point is, you can clearly see that the textures are the same.

Majmun

Silent Hill 3 still looks great. I think that's more thanks to the great art direction. All the environments in the game look amazing and have crazy details.

It definitely looks better than the Wii game, artistically.

spons

Gold Member
Shin Johnpv said:
We need some good F-Zero GX pics in this thread. Does it fully work with the emulator yet?
Doesn't even boot with the version I tried, would love to play this on a high resolution.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Can someone here please help me. I have tried using Dolphin with little success (crashes, gltiches) and overall slow performance. I have a good system so Im not sure why it not working

I have AMD 955 Black Edition 3.2 Quad 8 Gigs Ram, ATI Radeon 4950 1GB, Windows 7 X64

and Games like Mario are slow even. Do you have to customize to hell to get this to work right? is it s 64bit issue?

I would really love to play some of these on the PC in HD at 1900x1200 Resolution.

Specific Links, Guides would be appreciated.

suikodan

Can anyone tell me if I'll have sound if I want to play Twilight Princess thru the emulator? I have it on disc but I'ld like to play it on a "hi-res" system.

JADS

suikodan said:
Can anyone tell me if I'll have sound if I want to play Twilight Princess thru the emulator? I have it on disc but I'ld like to play it on a "hi-res" system.

I only have experience playing the gamecube version. Pick the latest revision and you will have sound and pretty graphics. Although, there are some issues the last time I tried to play it. (The Hyrulle Field has some strange slowdown issues)

Dorfdad said:
Can someone here please help me. I have tried using Dolphin with little success (crashes, gltiches) and overall slow performance. I have a good system so Im not sure why it not working

I have AMD 955 Black Edition 3.2 Quad 8 Gigs Ram, ATI Radeon 4950 1GB, Windows 7 X64

and Games like Mario are slow even. Do you have to customize to hell to get this to work right? is it s 64bit issue?

I would really love to play some of these on the PC in HD at 1900x1200 Resolution.

What kind of revision are you using? Are you using any hacks? Keep in mind that some games are not emulated well yet or are just slow. (I get 45 fps on the world hub in SMG, game runs fine after loading a level though)

http://forums.dolphin-emu.com/thread-3533-page-1.html <- General Setup Guide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLvaUKGhxLE <- Wiimote on dolphin guide

mr_nothin

Banned
Overclocked the hell out of my Amd Phenom x4 810. Was @ 2.6ghz and now i'm at a stable 3.6ghz w/o even diving too much into it. Still on stock cooling too and it never goes above 47C. Wind Waker went from 15-30 fps @ 640x480 to constant 30 @ 1280x720.

Dash

Dorfdad said:

AMD processors are known to be slower than their Intel equivalents for PCSX2 and Dolphin as they lack SSE4 (don't quote me on that). It's the only reason I went with the i5 over the 955 in my new build.

MNC

Aesius said:
I'm so confused by this emulator.

I tried running REmake on the newest revision and found it to be completely glitched and unplayable. After trial and error, I found an older version that worked almost perfectly up until about halfway through the game. Now, I am stuck at a door that crashes every time I walk through it.

Tried Wind Waker on the newest revision, and it seemed to work perfectly for about 15 minutes - then it randomly black screened and froze :(

Is there a list of which revision is the most compatible with certain games? It seems odd to me that REmake would run better on a revision from nearly a year ago than it would on the most recent one.

I absolutely love the visuals produced by this thing but the glitchiness and instability are really, really fucking annoying.
This is something I and some others would like to produce: a list with games, with what revision, settings, and a screenshot :D

Meier

Why is there a Wii emulator that can render in higher resolution than the system but not a PSP one apparently? Does no one care?

Meier said:
Why is there a Wii emulator that can render in higher resolution than the system but not a PSP one apparently? Does no one care?
I'm not expert, but I think it's because Wii hardware is very similar to GC hardware so it didn't take much more effort to build Wii emulation on GC emulation that was already being developed.

Top Bottom