• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can PS3 Catch Up to 360?

Zophar said:
******** says 4 million, which is grossly inflated by all the bundles it was in last year. I'd say about half of that was actual retail purchases, which while is still pretty great, the fact that as many people bought the GT5Prologue is testament to the strength of the series.

I thought Forza 2 was a better game than GT4 though, for what it's worth.

Wasn't prologue bundled as well?

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I think what amuses me the most about this thread, aside from the OP, is the responses by the SDF.

I like the way you guys assume John Q Public thinks the way you do, and has the knowledge of the industry you do.

Most people don't find out they have to pay for Live until AFTER they've bought the 360. Just so you guys know.

Most people DON'T know the perceived value of the PS3. WE do, but most don't. They see the 360, they see the PS3. They see basically the same games on the shelf for both, but THEN they see a $100-$200 difference. They then proceed to buy the 360 (Unless they were after a Wii of course).

I'd wager most people buying PS3s at this point are GAFfers who can finally afford it, Blu-ray enthusiasts who want to play games, and a small scattering of PS2 owners wanting to upgrade.
Agreed with all of this.

What strikes me most about the Gaming side here is just how insular this place can be. It's completely detached from the reality of most situations. It's sort of like the 2009 version of a Sega Saturn fan talking about how it kills PS1 because it has multiple processors and shit.

My6cats

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
I think so.

Microsoft has released all of their heaviest titles already, while Sony has released mostly a lot of new IPs and not some of their biggest legacy titles.

Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3....these titles haven't even shipped yet and the console is still priced at what the 360's launch price was.

Not to mention some key third party titles in Japan that will increase sales in the region (FFXIII).
Once Sony hits $299 pricing, and the above mentioned titles start to release, Sony is going to start outselling the 360 globally over the next few years. Will they catch up in the US? Not likely. Globally? Very, very likely.
FFXIII is also coming on the 360. I remember reading on GAF that Gran Turismo 5 was coming out in 2010 not 2009

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Sorry, I just realised that we're now "waiting for Gran Turismo 5".
:lol :lol :lol :lol

2 Minutes Turkish said:

That'll be the the NPD after Killzone.

Afrikan

2 Minutes Turkish said:

who is we.... and why are we now waiting for Gran Turismo 5.

this would have been a more accurate assessment of this thread

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Sorry, I just realised that we're now "waiting for a price drop".

Dragon

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I shouldn't talk. I was probably even worse during the Dreamcast days.
Wait for Shenmue 2, wait for Sonic Adventure 2, etc etc.

Empathy is overrated.

The PS3 has no shot of coming back. But the games coming out for it are enough for me to wipe up my fanboy tears.

jeremy1456

Afrikan said:
who is we.... and why are we now waiting for Gran Turismo 5.

this would have been a more accurate assessment of this thread

It's the meme that Sony fans have been using since the beginning of this generation.

Wait for:

Virtua Fighter 5
Heavenly Sword
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Grand Theft Auto IV
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
LittleBigPlanet
Valkyria Chronicles

I've seen posts on this forum at different times for each claiming that every single one of those would turn things around for the PS3 when it was released.

Can you see why nobody takes those kind of posts seriously anymore?

Afrikan

Thunder Monkey said:
Defeating a foe that has left the battlefield for future wars is what I like to call a...

Hollow victory.

pretty well said......but since the future war seems pretty well in control for now....when will this foe come back to the battlefield and fight with a lower price tag.... :|

Dragon

Banned
Zophar said:
I don't think anyone seriously ever thought that Valkyria Chronicles would be a game changer. Seriously now.

It's not anything to write home about it in terms of sales or as a hardware driver. But I hope you get a chance to play the game, it's one of the more complete games I've played this gen.

Chozo

Zophar said:
I don't think anyone seriously ever thought that Valkyria Chronicles would be a game changer. Seriously now.

To be honest though, some of the games that the SDF have been clinging to "save" the PS3 have had about as much chance as Valkyria Chronicles did.

Current victim of this hope: Killzone 2. HEY GAIZ A SEQUEL TO A GAME THAT DIDN'T BREAK A MILLION COPIES IS GOING TO SAVE THE TRIPPLE IT'LL BE TOTALLY AWESOME

jeremy1456

Zophar said:

That one was actually to a lesser extent.

And yes, some people were under the impression that as a RPG it would help the PS3.

[Nintex]

PS3 software isn't selling that's Sony's biggest problem. Developers and publishers won't be too happy to see certain high-profile games bomb or underperform on PS3. Not all of them have the luxury to wait for Sony to turn the tide.

Zophar

TheBranca18 said:
It's not anything to write home about it in terms of sales or as a hardware driver. But I hope you get a chance to play the game, it's one of the more complete games I've played this gen.
I have it. I love it.
Chozo said:
To be honest though, some of the games that the SDF have been clinging to "save" the PS3 have had about as much chance as Valkyria Chronicles did.

Current victim of this hope: Killzone 2. HEY GAIZ A SEQUEL GAME THAT DIDN'T BREAK A MILLION COPIES IS GOING TO SAVE THE TRIPPLE IT'LL BE TOTALLY AWESOME
You're joking right? The first one sold several millions of copies last I checked, it was pretty popular in Europe especially and the game's been riding a hype train since 2005. KZ2 is going to sell fucking great.

-viper-

Banned
The Xbox 360 can be picked up as little as £129, where as the PS3 costs about £280.

Now which console is the average consumer more likely to buy?

Afrikan

jeremy1456 said:
It's the meme that Sony fans have been using since the beginning of this generation.

Wait for:

Virtua Fighter 5
Heavenly Sword
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Grand Theft Auto IV
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
LittleBigPlanet
Valkyria Chronicles

I've seen posts on this forum at different times for each claiming that every single one of those would turn things around for the PS3 when it was released.

Can you see why nobody takes those kind of posts seriously anymore?

well....maybe because I expect better from GAF...but I forget sometimes.... I expect this whole "just wait" thing at Gamespot.... but if people were expecting titles like Ninja Gaiden Sigma and LittleBigPlant to flip the whole sales scene upside down....then that is sad..... I would think more on Gaf would understand that you can't expect to see massive difference in sales when one console sales for $199 and the other one sales for $399....

[Nintex]

Zophar said:
I have it. I love it.

You're joking right? The first one sold several millions of copies, it was pretty popular in Europe especially and the game's been riding a hype train since 2005. KZ2 is going to sell fucking great.
Based on what, Resistance 2 sales? I can't see KZ2 do the numbers that COD:WAW did on PS3. Outside of the internet, there is no marketing for the game, Sony needs to roll out that hypetrain tommorow, there'll probably be some unexplainable advertisments, about a guy that goes to the dentist and notices a helghast in the mirror or something.

Zophar

[Nintex] said:
Based on what, Resistance 2 sales? I can't see KZ2 do the numbers that COD:WAW did on PS3. Outside of the internet, there is no marketing for the game, Sony needs to roll out that hypetrain tommorow, there'll probably be some unexplainable advertisments, about a guy that goes to the dentist and notices a helghast in the mirror or something.
I expect it to do an LTD better than any other PS3 exclusive to date really, sans MGS4. It's an FPS game with a bajillion features and the "graphics is tight" as they say. People are bound to eat it up. 3-4 million LTD seems reasonable to me.

You're underestimating the internet, by the way. I've never seen even a single television commercial for Resistance 2 or COD:WaW, for example.

Chozo

Zophar said:
You're joking right? The first one sold several millions of copies last I checked, it was pretty popular in Europe especially and the game's been riding a hype train since 2005. KZ2 is going to sell fucking great.

Whoops, turns out that < million is NA only. That's what I get for trusting the Sales Site Which Shall Not Be Named. Google was a no-go as far as finding European sales data, so meh.

Could Killzone 2 sell well? Probably. Is it going to be the PS3's Halo or Wii Sports, the game that makes tons of people run out and buy a system for it alone? Exceedingly unlikely.

[Nintex]

Zophar said:
I expect it to do an LTD better than any other PS3 exclusive to date really, sans MGS4. It's an FPS game with a bajillion features and the "graphics is tight" as they say. People are bound to eat it up. 3-4 million LTD seems reasonable to me.

You're underestimating the internet, by the way. I've never seen even a single television commercial for Resistance 2 or COD:WaW, for example.
You're right about Resistance 2, Sony marketing at it's best (non existant).

We got bombarded with COD:WaW ads

Zophar

Chozo said:
Whoops, turns out that < million is NA only. That's what I get for trusting the Sales Site Which Shall Not Be Named. Google was a no-go as far as finding European sales data, so meh.

Could Killzone 2 sell well? Probably. Is it going to be the PS3's Halo or Wii Sports, the game that makes tons of people run out and buy a system for it alone? Exceedingly unlikely.
I actually do agree with the guy that said that no one game will be a game changer under any situation going forward. *Maybe* some rare phenomenon like Wii Sports was, but there's such a breadth of quality in games and variety in consumers that very few titles will ever *make* the market as they once did.

edit: oh damn now I do remember WaW commercials, they were all for the Wii version though now that I think about it.

Dragon

Banned
Chozo said:

I'm not really interested in Killzone 2 either, but to think that it'll be as big as the two games you mentioned, one of which will go down as the highest selling game of all time, is a bit much. You might want to color your expectations, don't base them on the fanboy drivel present in that thread. It's too bad the game won't appeal to the Japanese, otherwise I'd hope for MGS4 sales for it, perhaps I'm overreaching on that :)

[Nintex]

Zophar said:
I actually do agree with the guy that said that no one game will be a game changer under any situation going forward. *Maybe* some rare phenomenon like Wii Sports was, but there's such a breadth of quality in games and variety in consumers that very few titles will ever *make* the market as they once did.

edit: oh damn now I do remember WaW commercials, they were all for the Wii version though now that I think about it.
There's also the strength of the COD brand, a sequel to COD4, the most popular FPS of 2007? Sold!

Chozo

TheBranca18 said:
You might want to color your expectations, don't base them on the fanboy drivel present in that thread.

Uh

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
thewhiterabbit said:
That is not what it says. It says if they had price parity the ps3 could be competitive and catch up. The problem is they don't have price parity.
if my aunt had a.. she would be my uncle.

not to say it will not happen. but that's a big "if" in this current situation.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Don't know why I think that if the PS3 become piratable (is that even a word?) its sales will go through the roof.

Afrikan

Chozo said:

I think if Sony gave it the Marketing push/hype of a new IP as it is THE NEXT BIG THING...like Microsoft did with Gears of War....then, yes it would sell extremely well (as far as with current PS3 owners)..... but if Sony's Marketing team is just sitting on their arses, then it won't exceed expectations.....as far as sells....

CrazzyMan

Banned
1. PS3 is selling on pair with x360 in Europe +-1 mln., though x360 had 1,5 year advantage.
2. PS3 has over 2 mln. userbase advantage in Japan and most GOOD games on PS3 easy pass 300k mark. While on x360 only some jrpgs can pass 100k sales mark.
3. Now, NA, it`s 7 mln. vs 14 mln., that is some difference, BUT because of that difference, NOBODY is going to ignore 33% of NA market share.

Time has changed, we live in a MULTIPLATFORM ERA, there is VERY low chance, that developers will start support x360 exclusively, because of those 7 mln. advantage.
There is MORE chance, that some Japanese developers will still exclusively support PS3, but for wesern developers, unless they are paid, there is no chance.
Well, slim chance, that western developers will want to utilize blu-ray disc space and cell power and create something amazing, but this will cost a lot of money, so not in near future so far.

Time has changed. Sales doesn`t matter anymore THAT much, as they did in PS2 gen. Wii is number one, yet we get more HIGH quality 3rd party PS360 games, then Wii.

And last thing, let`s assume, that PS3 in next 2 year outsells x360 by a lot, and will be like 20 or 30 mln. ahead of x360. That is 35-40 mln. vs 60-70 mln. So what, what will change?
Does anybody actually believe, that western developers will abandon x360 now?
The only winner now, who can make a profit. Sales doesn`t matter anymore THAT much. By the end of this year, all 3 console will pass xbox/GC sales. Now it`s only about GAMES and profit. =)

Of`course, every console maker want to expand it`s brand. But all 3 did enough this gen(well maybe Sony is yet to show it`s selling power in future), still it`s not like any of consoles will end selling less then 40-50 mln. this gen. And 50 mln. userbase for any console means a good result.

p.s. PS3 will be ahead of x360 WW, because EU+JP > NA.

CrazzyMan said:
1. PS3 is selling on pair with x360 in Europe +-1 mln., though x360 had 1,5 year advantage.
2. PS3 has over 2 mln. userbase advantage in Japan and most GOOD games on PS3 easy pass 300k mark. While on x360 only some jrpgs can pass 100k sales mark.
3. Now, NA, it`s 7 mln. vs 14 mln., that is some difference, BUT because of that difference, NOBODY is going to ignore 33% of NA market share.

Time has changed, we live in a MULTIPLATFORM ERA, there is VERY low chance, that developers will start support x360 exclusively, because of those 7 mln. advantage.
There is MORE chance, that some Japanese developers will still exclusively support PS3, but for wesern developers, unless they are paid, there is no chance.
Well, slim chance, that western developers will want to utilize blu-ray disc space and cell power and create something amazing, but this will cost a lot of money, so not in near future so far.

Time has changed. Sales doesn`t matter anymore THAT much, as they did in PS2 gen. Wii is number one, yet we get more HIGH quality 3rd party PS360 games, then Wii.

And last thing, let`s assume, that PS3 in next 2 year outsells x360 by a lot, and will be like 20 or 30 mln. ahead of x360. That is 35-40 mln. vs 60-70 mln. So what, what will change?
Does anybody actually believe, that western developers will abandon x360 now?
The only winner now, who can make a profit. Sales doesn`t matter anymore THAT much. By the end of this year, all 3 console will pass xbox/GC sales. Now it`s only about GAMES and profit. =)

Of`course, every console maker want to expand it`s brand. But all 3 did enough this gen(well maybe Sony is yet to show it`s selling power in future), still it`s not like any of consoles will end selling less then 40-50 mln. this gen. And 50 mln. userbase for any console means a good result.

p.s. PS3 will be ahead of x360 WW, because EU+JP > NA.

Dude next time a thread like this comes around and you're not not here. I will totally save this post and quote it for you.

Chozo

TheBranca18 said:
Yeah I worded that incorrectly. I should have asked why you compared it to two of the higher selling games of all time.

Because when people go "wait for (game) and then the PS3 will really take off," that's essentially what they're saying. I'm merely pointing out the magnitude of what that statement implies.

It's a disingenous to point this out without context. 360 hasn't even broken 1 million in Japan IIRC, and the Wii shits on both of them from a great height in terms of Japanese installed base.

Install base herp da derp

The problem with this scenario is twofold:

1. The PS3 is more expensive
2. The 360 has a significantly larger install base

Multiplatform games are arguably more of a benefit for the 360 because of the price point, and it has enough of a base that you could make a title exclusive for the platform and not be screwing yourself. This isn't the case with the PS3, as evidenced by the number of exclusives jumping ship.

In other words, the PS3 is losing its differentiation that it needs to justify a higher price point.

1. By whose metric?

2. Developers seem struck with a serious case of retarded this gen. Yeah, clearly a console that sells faster than they can make them and still commands markups on eBay two years after release is a fad that's going away any day now.

everything else you posted

Just...oi.

yurinka

Private Hoffman said:
People underestimate how important the GT series is for Sony. It's a very, very big deal in Europe (GT's largest market), and it is a huge title in Japan as well.
With more than 50 million copies shipped, Gran Turismo is the racing series IP with the best sales in the videogames.
Source :(random link, as press releases it was in every gaming site)
http://www.pressroom2.com/2008/05/12/gran-turismo-series-shipment-exceeds-50-million-units-worldwide/

I think the PS3 will catch the 360 worldwide with US maybe as the only market with more 360 in LTD sales at the end of the generation. Why?

· PS3 with more margin to future price cuts (so sales boosts) than the 360 because right now is more expensive.

· HDTVs still aren't everywhere. With HDTV people also wants movies in HD, and the PS3 has BlueRay. So I think the grow of the HDTV installbase will help PS3 sales, and maybe this new 3D tech will help the BlueRay/PS3 too.

· PS2 has 130+ million copies sold. Lots of millions of users still waiting for lower prices and key IPs, even some of they already jumped/will jump to 360 or Wii, but a lot will buy PS3 specially casuals and Europeans.

· Severall key PS2 game IP still to appear in PS3 (GT5, God of War, Final Fantasy, Team Ico,...), really promising sequels in terms of quality and sales of games IP that didn't have great sales previously (Uncharted, Killzone, LBP), and interesting announced IP like Heavy Rain.

· Almost all the developers of the main 360 exclusives IP (mainly 2nd party) are working (or rumored to be working) in multiplatform titles, and only a few of them are released. Tekken and FF are the only ex-PS exclusives IP to debut as multiplatform. PS3 now can only loose Metal Gear, all their other big exclusives are 1st party.

· In the 360 main market, US, PS3 raised 40% year to year its hardware sales this 2008 year. 360 mantained its previous year numbers thanks to a huge price drop making it cheaper than a Wii.

909er

I didn't want to ask this in the NPD thread, and don't want to go into the official thread, but is Killzone 2 supposed to be good? I remember playing Killzone 1 and I thought it was pretty mediocre. The developer has made two bad to mediocre shooters and one good PSP game (that isn't an FPS). The graphics do look amazing, but I've been burned by that before.

TheFatOne

909er said:
I didn't want to ask this in the NPD thread, and don't want to go into the official thread, but is Killzone 2 supposed to be good? I remember playing Killzone 1 and I thought it was pretty mediocre. The developer has made two bad to mediocre shooters and one good PSP game (that isn't an FPS). The graphics do look amazing, but I've been burned by that before.

There is a place for that. Ask any question you like in there.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342018

Top Bottom