• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

So it's basically just FREQUENCY or AMPLITUDE from the PS2 with a fugly overpriced controller and horrible mega-mixes of overused tracks?

Yeah, no thanks. Pass.

EDIT: I take that back, the Six Days feat. Mos Def sounds very interesting.

permutated said:
So it's basically just FREQUENCY or AMPLITUDE from the PS2 with a fugly overpriced controller and horrible mega-mixes of overused tracks?

Yeah, no thanks. Pass.

EDIT: I take that back, the Six Days feat. Mos Def sounds very interesting.

Yeah, you definitely know how the game is played. Good job.

TheGreatDave said:
Yeah, you definitely know how the game is played. Good job.

Well I was a huge fan of both games I mentioned. I'm just not a fan of this peripheral shit.

Is there any way to play it with a basic controller?

Stryder

permutated said:
Well I was a huge fan of both games I mentioned. I'm just not a fan of this peripheral shit.

Is there any way to play it with a basic controller?
I'm guessing not, in fact no, I'd say it's impossible given the scratching/rewinding/crossfade mechanics.

What do you have against the peripheral? It certainly looks more fun to control that way than it would with a controller.

JDeluis

QuadCore said:
I want it, but I seriously cannot justify the price knowing that I'll see it for $20 down the line.

Same here. Hopefully by the time it drops in price, they will release some good House music as DLC.

Stryder said:
I'm guessing not, in fact no, I'd say it's impossible given the scratching/rewinding/crossfade mechanics.

What do you have against the peripheral? It certainly looks more fun to control that way than it would with a controller.

Price & space. I don't need more shit and if I had $100-200 I'd buy some real sound equipment for my studio not a fake DJ platter or a 5 button guitar.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
permutated said:
Price & space. I don't need more shit and if I had $100-200 I'd buy some real sound equipment for my studio not a fake DJ platter or a 5 button guitar.
Ah, you're one of those guys.

XiaNaphryz said:
Ah, you're one of those guys.

Someone who's passion is music production? Yeah, it's actually what I'm studying for my BA, but that doesn't mean I hate music games;

I loved REZ.
I loved Gitaroo Man.
I loved Frequency.
I loved Amplitude.

Don't hate on me because I dislike peripherals, it's not only in music games either, the only major peripheral I liked was the set that came with Steel Battalion.

rareside

Best Buy demo units are a joke. I swear the thing must be turning more people away from the game with the broken ass peripheral. If they're going to send them free demo units they should pay someone to help demo the game and make sure the units aren't being destroyed.

I played the demo at gamecrazy today, seemed very meh, easy and boring to me. Never thought of getting it in the first place, this just reassured i'm not missing much.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Damn, opinions are pretty polarized from those who have played the demo...to me it looks like alot of fun to play but Im weary of dropping 120 bucks on this thing with the some of the bad impressions people are giving. Im def gonna have to try it out first.

Fixed1979

Mailenstein said:
First german review by "Games Aktuell" is out: 90/100

Negative points were "no career mode" and "there could be more game modes".

Are you sure that it's translated right?

From the OP:
The game features both a single player Career mode and cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes

Baker

Banned
I've almost got it worked out to afford the Renegade edition. I've interested my buddy in buying the Jay Z/Eminem disc off me, but are the songs going to be edited? Since the game is rated T, I didn't know how that shit worked.

-PXG-

I take back all of the bad things I said about this game. This game looks ill. However, I will get it when the price goes down. Plus....Activision....*shudder*

XiaNaphryz

-PXG- said:
I take back all of the bad things I said about this game. This game looks ill. However, I will get it when the price goes down. Plus....Activision....*shudder*
I always see it more as supporting the developer than supporting Activision. They seem to have pulled off an interesting rhythm game without making it a Beatmania clone.

Fixed1979

XiaNaphryz said:
I always see it more as supporting the developer than supporting Activision. They seem to have pulled off an interesting rhythm game without making it a Beatmania clone.

This. I can't imagine how difficult it would be for a small developer to release this kind of game on their own and have any real success.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Fixed1979 said:
This. I can't imagine how difficult it would be for a small developer to release this kind of game on their own and have any real success.
And with what Activision did to Shaba Games, if this one bombs they'll more than likely just shut down the studio.

:mad:

Baker

Banned
I've read through this thread five times probably...

Is there any "official" write-up saying if the Renegade turntables are $80 better than the normal ones?

Fixed1979

I doubt that the tables are $80 better, but you do get the case that turns into a table as well as the CD.
There is supposed to be more metal on the Renegade table, but how much more and what quality I have no idea.

XiaNaphryz

Fixed1979 said:
I doubt that the tables are $80 better, but you do get the case that turns into a table as well as the CD.
There is supposed to be more metal on the Renegade table, but how much more and what quality I have no idea.
You could probably justify $30 - $40 of the price difference to the case and CDs. So is the controller worth $40 more? On looks alone, I could maybe make that worth around half of that. I doubt it's an entirely metal setup, more likely it's used for certain controls and for some plating here and there, but I figure that could make up for the remaining $20.

If the total package of extras appeal to you, I think it's an okay justification. If you don't care for the CDs or the case or the looks of the controller and just care if it's a significantly better peripheral in terms of quality, it's probably not worth the price difference. If it was truly an upgraded fancy superior controller, we'd probably see less extras. It'll probably a better controller simply because less had to be made (if this truly is a "limited edition" release) so they can be a bit better with QC, but it's probably not significantly better. If it is, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Baker

Banned
Fixed1979 said:
I figured they're probably saying at least $50 is for that table. I already have an adjustable table for my laptop when I work in the living room though, so I'm not too interested in it.

I don't like rap/hip-hop (whatever) so the only reason I care about the CD is to sell it to my friend. :lol And yes, I'm fully aware that probably somehow makes no sense why I'd want the game then.

I thought I read people complaining that the crossfader was broken at the in-store demo kiosks so that's why I originally got interested in the Renegade.

Edit:

^ Cool thanks.

Baker

Banned
Tiduz said:
i wonder if the ps3 dj hero will have a dongle again

i have like 3-4 different dongles now o_O
Stolen from this thread...

s2v2n7.jpg

Baker said:
I figured they're probably saying at least $50 is for that table. I already have an adjustable table for my laptop when I work in the living room though, so I'm not too interested in it.

I don't like rap/hip-hop (whatever) so the only reason I care about the CD is to sell it to my friend. :lol And yes, I'm fully aware that probably somehow makes no sense why I'd want the game then.

I thought I read people complaining that the crossfader was broken at the in-store demo kiosks so that's why I originally got interested in the Renegade.

Edit:

^ Cool thanks.
You gotta remember people treat those demo units like shit. I think the renegade looks badass. I want it for the stand more than the turn table though, and that isn't an 80 dollar stand.

permutated said:
Someone who's passion is music production? Yeah, it's actually what I'm studying for my BA, but that doesn't mean I hate music games;

I loved REZ.
I loved Gitaroo Man.
I loved Frequency.
I loved Amplitude.

Don't hate on me because I dislike peripherals, it's not only in music games either, the only major peripheral I liked was the set that came with Steel Battalion.
Oh! So you only like the crappy music games then.

Mileena

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
What's the reason for going with the dongle option, is it just cheaper?
Something about the PS3. 360 doesn't use dongles but PS3 always does, for both guitars and drums.

Baker

Banned
ElNarez said:
He might be wrong about DJ Hero, but you're even wronger for saying that any of those games are crappy.
Permutated was just in a bad mood yesterday. :lol He had a breakdown in the B/S/T thread too.

Baker

Banned
Wario64 said:
Noisia "Groundhog" on Expert. Full song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWGdFb3gyJM
The four star comment reminded me of another question:

Have any previews stated that the inability to fail songs can hinder the "game-iness" of DJ Hero?

Like... It's seems to me it could just turn into a score attack (which I don't care about) instead of having a "holy shit I'm awesome I finally beat expert!" moment.

Does that make sense? I haven't put my after lunch dip in yet so my sentence structures are a bit off. :D

1up

Ken Masters said:
hearing the plastic smacking noise was a major turn off
That and the crappy quality of the videos.

At least thats what im telling myself so I dont spoil myself even more.

Top Bottom