• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles 3 - Pre-TGS discussion and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Ikkarus said:
You know what bothers me the most?

She's carrying a whip. They all bang on about how the legends say that Valkyrur's have a lance and shield, not some lame whip....

A small thing I know but lance > whip.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2031/2439154437_a42a0609d7_z.jpg

Legends are simply tales, they can be wrong too!

I personally prefer the whip to the lance, which also goes perfectly well with the S&M outfit and the sadistic smile in the design.
Basically, I'll defend whip girl's design to the death!

I hope they keep the school setting or at least have the main character start out in one and then graduate so he/she can be part of the actual war.

Just don't have Anisette in 3. She has the most annoying voice I've ever heard in my life. Edy's voice was bad enough, but for Anisette that voice actress kicked it up a couple of hundred terrible notches.

Finaika

Anyone else think that Sega is making the Valkyria Chronicles series as kind of like a successor to their Sakura Wars games?

rykomatsu

Ikkarus said:
You know what bothers me the most?

She's carrying a whip. They all bang on about how the legends say that Valkyrur's have a lance and shield, not some lame whip....

A small thing I know but lance > whip.

2439154437_a42a0609d7_z.jpg
She's homer's older sisyer...doubt she's a valkyria...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:
The dialogue in Valkyria 1 was pretty bad at some points. The dialogue in Valkyria 2 just happens to be worse. I don't ever expect good dialogue out of the Valkyria for the same reason why I don't expect good dialogue out of Tales games - because the majority of the audience the story is written for are anime otakus who like shitty tropes and typecast characters.

True facts. Sad but true.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Finaika said:
Anyone else think that Sega is making the Valkyria Chronicles series as kind of like a successor to their Sakura Wars games?

Yes. I just started playing the 2nd one and it gives me a Sakura Wars vibe even more than the 1st one did (and that gave me a huge vibe). It's a lot of the same staff so it's not surprising.

Ponn

Banned
I'm actually really hoping for a return to VC1 style, story wise and art, and its a prequel. I'm replaying VC1 now and there is a lot of potentially great backstory there.

spoilered for those who haven't played the first one, though for one WHY THE HELL HAVEN'T YOU??!! And why are you in this thread then?

Would love to see what led up to Gunther being a war hero and I can tell the story behind his wife/welkins mom dying during the war would be super sad and emotional. Would also love to see the dynamic of him and Theimer and more of that story, and maybe find out who the man in cemetary really was. Then you have where Alicia exactly came from, she ended up in Bruhl so that couldn't have just been blind coincedence. Finally you have the story of Largo, Varrot and Frederick. All this could make a very compelling game storywise and there is enough sadness and death there to keep it from turning it into the anime freak show VC2 is

duckroll said:
Do we know if there's a civilized world outside of Europa? The Valkyrur are said to have come from the North. While there are no pure-blooded Valkyrur left in Europa, there had to be a place of origin where they came from. Clearly they were advanced enough when they arrived in the continent, and could easily overpower and control the natives. They also had enough culture and science to pass down to the people, creating the Europa that exists today.

It's a little odd how there is significant technological advancements and education in Europa, but yet no one mentions expeditions to or trade with other continents.
It'd be pretty cool, I think, if VC3 has something like a world map system that would allow you to reach other regions, possibly unlocking new classes related to the nations you'd reach, or unlocking Civilization-esque "natural resources" that would be replenished every X turns and could be synthesized to make nice equipment. The 'book' system worked well in the first game, but I think it's high time the Valkyria Chronicles series got into some deeper world-building.

DonMigs85

It's probably gonna be on both 360 and PS3, much like what happened to Naruto UNS2.
By the way, how much BD space did the first game take up?

androvsky

They better have Sakura Wars cameos this time. Or a crossover... that would be fine too. I wouldn't mind having a koubu or two to go up against some tanks. :)

Yeah, I've thought that since I saw the battle system footage for the first game. Valkyria Chronicles is a pretty clear attempt to try to appeal to westerners; imagine someone explaining to Sega that Sakura Wars won't do well outside Japan because westerners don't like dating sims, but they do like WWII shooters, and you basically have VC.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
duckroll said:
Okay, next platform tard gets banned.

<3 Thank you Duckroll

androvsky said:
They better have Sakura Wars cameos this time. Or a crossover... that would be fine too. I wouldn't mind having a koubu or two to go up against some tanks. :)

Yeah, I've thought that since I saw the battle system footage for the first game. Valkyria Chronicles is a pretty clear attempt to try to appeal to westerners; imagine someone explaining to Sega that Sakura Wars won't do well outside Japan because westerners don't like dating sims, but they do like WWII shooters, and you basically have VC.

For me to see Valkyria as any successor to Sakura Wars is for them to add dating sim elements like the Sakura Wars games. Heck, even adding something like the Persona 3/4 system would be enough for me to say "Valkyria is the successor to Sakura Wars."

jiggle

i want town explorations and treasure huntings during battle
and changing armors
so boring to look at the same thing the entire time

duckroll

RurouniZel said:
Yes. I just started playing the 2nd one and it gives me a Sakura Wars vibe even more than the 1st one did (and that gave me a huge vibe). It's a lot of the same staff so it's not surprising.

Erm, is this even true? Red Entertainment did the development and planning for Sakura Wars games, and they're not involved in any way whatsoever in Valkyria. Which staff are the ones who worked on Sakura Wars in the past?

jiggle said:
and changing armors

Eww, get that RPG garbage out of here. VC should stay a strategy game first and foremost without RPG clutter. Attempts to add more RPG elements into VC2 already made it worse than it should be.

Hcoregamer00

jiggle said:
and changing armors

Town explorations would be wonderful.

I know I said it before, but giving an option to choose a male or female lead would make the game better. Especially if the dialog and the character dynamics were changed to make each experience very different from each other (ala Persona 3 Portable).

duckroll said:
Eww, get that RPG garbage out of here. VC should stay a strategy game first and foremost without RPG clutter. Attempts to add more RPG elements into VC2 already made it worse than it should be.

LOL, very true.

It was an experiment that blew up in Sega's faces, hopefully they learn to "keep it simple stupid" for VC3

duckroll

Nevermind, I forgot that the developers of VC are from Overworks, the Sega division that co-developed the Sakura Wars games with Red Entertainment from the DC-era onwards.

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
Nevermind, I forgot that the developers of VC are from Overworks, the Sega division that co-developed the Sakura Wars games with Red Entertainment from the DC-era onwards.

Yup, which is why I could imagine a continuation of the Valkyria franchise kills Skies of Arcadia fans inside (since it is the same developer team).

AniHawk

duckroll said:

How could you forget that they're the Skies of Arcadia guys when VC stars the Skies of Arcadia guys?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Assuming this is VC3, it will be interesting if there were more cameos from SoA... Or Sega cameos (say like... Phantasy Star cameos).

duckroll

AniHawk said:
How could you forget that they're the Skies of Arcadia guys when VC stars the Skies of Arcadia guys?

I didn't. I just forgot they also worked on Sakura Wars. The series is so dead it's hard to remember much about it anymore! :lol

Hcoregamer00

ULTROS! said:
Assuming this is VC3, it will be interesting if there were more cameos from SoA... Or Sega cameos (say like... Phantasy Star cameos).

With overworks at the helm you are more likely to get cameos from the games they worked on rather than having general SEGA cameos. With that said, it would be pretty neat for some Sakura Taisen cameos for VC3 :D

duckroll

Hcoregamer00 said:
With overworks at the helm you are more likely to get cameos from the games they worked on rather than having general SEGA cameos. With that said, it would be pretty neat for some Sakura Taisen cameos for VC3 :D

That's not true. VC2 had a ton of Sega tie-ins, at least in the JP version. There were stickers for Ryu ga Gotoku, End of Eternity, etc. There's also a PSP2 character you can unlock. Nothing from SoA or Sakura Taisen though. I'm pretty sure Red Entertainment owns or co-owns the rights to Sakura Taisen anyway, since they're the actual creators of the franchise.

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
That's not true. VC2 had a ton of Sega tie-ins, at least in the JP version. There were stickers for Ryu ga Gotoku, End of Eternity, etc. There's also a PSP2 character you can unlock.

I did not know that, but I did notice that quite a bit of unlockables are attained through a Phantasy Star Portable 2 save file (which I don't mind since I am buying it anyways). Well, I guess they would do some cameos from the current crop of sega games.

I certainly hope they have cameos and characters from VC1 and VC2 characters. Selvaria and the Empire would be pretty easy since it does take place in 1935 and the empire reaches more than just Gallia. Having younger versions of the VC2 cast should be easy to do. The problem is having cameos of the VC1 main cast IF the game is taking place concurrently with events of VC1.

Giolon

Ponn01 said:
I'm actually really hoping for a return to VC1 style, story wise and art, and its a prequel. I'm replaying VC1 now and there is a lot of potentially great backstory there.

spoilered for those who haven't played the first one, though for one WHY THE HELL HAVEN'T YOU??!! And why are you in this thread then?

Would love to see what led up to Gunther being a war hero and I can tell the story behind his wife/welkins mom dying during the war would be super sad and emotional. Would also love to see the dynamic of him and Theimer and more of that story, and maybe find out who the man in cemetary really was. Then you have where Alicia exactly came from, she ended up in Bruhl so that couldn't have just been blind coincedence. Finally you have the story of Largo, Varrot and Frederick. All this could make a very compelling game storywise and there is enough sadness and death there to keep it from turning it into the anime freak show VC2 is

These were my hopes exactly on what VC2 would be before it was announced. Hopes and Dreams meant to be shattered and all that jazz. :(

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
These were my hopes exactly on what VC2 would be before it was announced. Hopes and Dreams meant to be shattered and all that jazz. :(

With Valkyra Chronicles they developed such a deep lore that they really could go anywhere:
-The origins of the Valkyrur
-The betrayal of the Rangriz line which led them to power
-The origins of the Empire
-The origins of the Federation
-The first great Europan war
-The current second great war between the Empire and the Federation

.....and that is just the potential prequel saga. They could have made 8 games and they probably would have not developed all the cosmology, history, and lore of the Valkyria Chronicles world.

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
With Valkyra Chronicles they developed such a deep lore that they really could go anywhere:

.....and that is just the potential prequel saga. They could have made 8 games and they probably would have not developed all the cosmology, history, and lore of the Valkyria Chronicles world.

And yet, they chose anime high school. Classy!

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:

Yeah, the world of Valkyria Chronicles is still waiting to be developed further because there are so many questions marks when looking at the cosmology and history of Valkyria Chronicles.

It is unfortunate they decided to make a sequel when the prequel has enough material to make games until the franchise burns out.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hcoregamer00 said:

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Remember what happened when they announced some 6 or 7 Sakura Taisen games at once and only 3 of them made it to the light of day?

Giolon said:

Yeah, just seemed like a stupid way to incorporate a school-girl skirt into a design somewhere (Colette). Though I do remember something in the 1st game, like Welkin mentioning he went to a military academy like everyone else (some countries in EUR like Germany still require people to serve for a couple years if I recall correctly), so it's not the setting itself that bothers me, but rather how it's handled.

Ponn

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

See, and you know what all of that screams? Episodic content done right through regular DLC for VC1. I would gladly pay $15 or $20 for 8 - 10 new "chapters" per episode covering any and all of those topics. I don't need any type of overhaul from the VC1 game so just release them as add ons for that. Sega would make all the current VC fans happy and it would save them money not having to develop a new system and cut way down on distribution costs and be a safe bet for them.

Of course, this is Sega we are talking about so rational and smart business decisons are usually lost on them.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Finally got serious about playing VC this week. Man, I can’t believe I let this game sit on the shelf for so long, it’s absolutely fantastic. The foundation is so strong and so ripe for expansion.

duckroll said:
Yeah, just changing the .gif to .jpg reveals VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 3. Good job Sega. :lol

Ok, so my Japanese is still approximately on par with that of a goldfish's, but I don't see anything on the list that would read as 'Senjou no Valkyria 3', so... help?

Spiegel

Pureauthor said:
Ok, so my Japanese is still approximately on par with that of a goldfish's, but I don't see anything on the list that would read as 'Senjou no Valkyria 3', so... help?

&#25126;&#22580;&#12398;&#12532;&#12449;&#12523;&#12461;&#12517;&#12522;&#12450;

+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom