• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Delicious region-locked snacks that you can't get where you live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP lies. The wasabi Kit Kats are terrible, and there is no kick at all. Source: I went to Japan last November, and I brought a ton of regional Kit Kats home.

Best Kit Kats are Cookies and Cream or cheesecake -- both Japan only.

Scavenger

Kasugai salted roasted peas. It's so goooood, better than any potato chips I've ever eaten. Can't find a place where I can buy the salted peas, Asian stores usually only carry the wasabi coated peas.

mqO56oA.jpg

Chu Hi. Mix drink of shochu and fruit juice. Loved it in Japan, can't seem to find it anywhere in Europe. Hope to find some in Hawaii this summer.

Also, peanut Butter M&M's

Varieties_of_Kirin_brand_Chu-hi.PNG
I miss Chu Hi.

Raw64life

tumblr_lwhtl77l3U1r8vktho1_500.jpg

Discontinued in USA. Only in Canada/UK now. Mostly the same for....

5alive80s.jpg

...although on very rare occasions I've been able to find them at KeyFoods in NYC. Apparently there is a chain in the south called Harris Teeters that still has Five Alive on the regular but I don't live anywhere near any of them.

Lach

We dont have Almond M&M's in Switzerland and I don't think anywhere in europe. They are my favourites....
Product_almondmms.png

Cinnamon-Cookie-kit-kat-2.jpg

Extraordinarily bummed these are only available via Amazon and a 100% import markup. Motherfuckers are so good. It kills me that that don't sell this shit elsewhere.

(Cinnamon Kit-Kats)

There's plenty of snacks I miss from when I used to live in Amsterdam. Paprika chipsticks from Albert Heijn. Tony's chocolate. Papernoten, oliebollen and chocolate letters during Sinterklaas. Kapsalon and Turkish pizzas from the snack bars. Chips and sate sauce from Chipsy King on Dam Square. Kangaroo burgers at Coco's bar. Ice cream from the Happiness Station at Centraal Station. Noodles from either Mr Wok or Wok To Walk on Rembrandplein.

... I put on a lot of weight in when I lived there.

Ah I just had my first Crunchie last night, and man I wish they made those here. I'd love to try a Violet Crumble.

Crunchie's honeycomb has a more artificial texture and colour compared to a Violet Crumble, Violet crumble honeycomb needs slightly more effort to bite but it crumbles (duh).

My first easter in the US was marred by the total lack of Hot Cross Bun availability.
20050320hotcrossbuns.jpg

cupcakes with Peeps are not an adequate replacement!

From my homeland: Irn Bru, black pudding, Lorne sausage and Haggis. The latter being illegal to import.
Wherever you are, it's not worth it. Come home.

Especially the Irn Bru. You can get knock off "Iron Brew" in a lot of places, but it aint Irn Bru. Accept no substitutes.

tmarques

McDonald's has a ridiculously good paneer wrap in India. Good thing it's not available over here, though, because it's a sodium bomb.

McSpicy-Paneer-Wrap.jpg

Also green tea Haagen Dazs.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Crispy M&M's are all I want. My brother in law brought me back 2 of those super bags when he was over in England (or wherever it is he went). They were MAGIC. I wish so hard I could still buy them.

Goliath

Used to live in Germany and got addicted to these.

Haribo-Die-Schluempfe-German-Tub-The-Smurfs-image.jpg

When I was in Japan for two weeks I made it my mission to buy the different Kit Kats that are exclusive to the different parts of Japan. I had a box of Green Tea, Green Tea and rose water, Strawberry, Dark Chocolate, Wasabi, Rum Raisin and Tapioca.

The good thing about living in a place with a lot of diversity is that I have a lot of specialty markets that have many of these things like Kinder brand snacks (eggs, bars) and cool pre frozen takoyaki which is amazing!

Hip Hop

You know how people say Doritos 3D were discontinued?

They are actually region-locked to Mexico and they stay so fucking amazing.

They bring back memories, just thinking back to when they used to be sold in the U.S.

so good.

http://www.mymexicanpantry.com/doritos-3d--24-bag-p324.html

queso-01.png

queso-05.png

queso-06.png

I'd say Mexico has the best snacks in the world. Comparing it to the U.S. is laughable. It's sad that we cry about Twinkies disappearing and hold Mountain Dew and bland tasting Doritos as the holly grail.

Living in/near Los Angeles, I can easily circumvent a lot of foreign snack DRM.

There is one thing, though, that I saw once or twice and then never again: these Japanese potato chips that were buttered baked potato flavor. I can't even find a picture on Google Image Search.

DaiHard

Not a snack but Root Beer is hard to find over here. The Tesco and Morrisons near me stocked it for a while before cruelly delisting it. Asda sells Carters brand but its tastes like vimto mixed with root beer.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
You know how people say Doritos 3D were discontinued?

They are actually region-locked to Mexico and they stay so fucking amazing.

They bring back memories, just thinking back to when they used to be sold in the U.S.

so good.

Ugh. 3D doritos are gross. Awful texture.

Andrew.

Banned
tumblr_lwhtl77l3U1r8vktho1_500.jpg

Discontinued in USA. Only in Canada/UK now. Mostly the same for....

5alive80s.jpg

...although on very rare occasions I've been able to find them at KeyFoods in NYC. Apparently there is a chain in the south called Harris Teeters that still has Five Alive on the regular but I don't live anywhere near any of them.

Holy shit I havent seen this in the US since the 80s

Throwback!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Las Vegas just got Blue Bell Ice Cream. Still no chickfila though.

Chik Fil A is about nostalgia rather than excellence. It's easily the most overhyped fast food in the states.

Several times I have watched Yankees and northerners smile politely as they realize the pickle and damp bread are the highlights of a mediocre chicken sandwich.

Only In N Out hype comes close, and at least it's a fresh, tasty burger if ordered correctly.

rbanke

chips_laysketchup.jpg

I am in a state of continuous anger because these are not sold in FL (or most of the USA as far as I can tell). I frequently buy them online and have them shipped for exorbitant prices

Also not really a snack food, but Jack in the Box tacos. No Jack in the Box anywhere near FL :(

0OoO0

7947.jpg

Had these in Switzerland about 2 years ago. They are amazing. I am currently back in Europe (France) and unfortunately can't find them in any supermarket.

im Chicago born and raised, but my mother lives in Pittsburgh, PA and there's a restaurant in the Strip District called Permanties and they're sandwiches are amazing. i can only get their sandwiches when i visit her in Pittsburgh, they're soooooo good. i count this as a snack lol.
3647943897_026c089d86.jpg

There is a Primanti Brothers in Florida if that helps. Its the only one outside of PA

xk0sm0sx

Had these in America. Can never get in Singapore.
hk1raCh.png

DAT FLAVOUR. OMGGGG.

t3xh2Yp.jpg

Can never get tired of drinking this. Better than A&W. I miss this drink.
Until this day I still head to the supermarkets for no reason, hoping to one day see these in stock.

OP lies. The wasabi Kit Kats are terrible, and there is no kick at all. Source: I went to Japan last November, and I brought a ton of regional Kit Kats home.

Best Kit Kats are Cookies and Cream or cheesecake -- both Japan only.

I agree with you. I've tasted the wasabi Kit-Kats together with 5 other Japanese and the consensus was that it was just not good.

These Kit Kat flavors are amazing though:

1) Green tea
2) Chocolate raspberry (I've only ever seen it once so it's quite rare)
3) Strawberry
4) Milk tea (to a lesser extent. Also rare)

This god-tierness right here. It's a snack in the Philippines. I haven't found a store in the UK that carries it, although I'm sure it's here somewhere...

bb.jpg

boy.bawang.garlic.flavor1909-500x500.jpg

May10Verseo-308-500x500.jpg

IKJXH4X.jpg

Chips/crisps/whatever the fuck you call them, pale in comparison. There is no highly-processed salty snack on Erf that delivers the savouryness of Boy Bawang.

It's like eating a bag of toasted crunchy garlic cloves. 8 years of withdrawal... fuck I'm getting the garlic shakes again.

Corn Nuts?
NachosNY_CornNuts1.jpg

Keio

For a Finer World
Pocari Sweat, definitely not easy to find.

Hatchapuri, the Georgian cheesebread - I could eat kilos of that stuff so maybe it's a blessing you can't find it easily.

Bolo de Caco, a Madeiran garlic bread. Holy shit it's amazing. Can't get elsewhere.

Scotch

flipz-side-image.jpg

They used to sell them in the Netherlands, I got addicted, and then they stopped selling them. Although last time I had them from the States they were not as salty as they used to. :(

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Ah I just had my first Crunchie last night, and man I wish they made those here. I'd love to try a Violet Crumble.

Crunchie at least is available in the US from amazon, real decent price too. Like $5 for a pack of 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom