• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit trilogy - News, rumours and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daft_Cat

Fantastic news everyone! Our old friend and Tolkien scholar Edmond Dantes has been in touch with me, and I'm relieved to pass on that he's okay and will begin posting again shortly :D

tumblr_m8kk3ogpep1qzc9pkkj.gif

I hope everything's been ok with him. I imagine something must have happened..but privacy is privacy, and I'm glad he'll be returning.

Jacob

I'm relieved to hear that Dantes is okay. Especially since he'll be coming back here.

I suppose he has at last threw down his enemy, smote his ruin upon the mountain side, been taken by darkness, strayed out of thought and time, and finally, felt life in him again. :)

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Fantastic news everyone! Our old friend and Tolkien scholar Edmond Dantes has been in touch with me, and I'm relieved to pass on that he's okay and will begin posting again shortly :D

tumblr_m8kk3ogpep1qzc9pkkj.gif

Great News!!!!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time, and I wandered far on roads that I will not tell.

Naked I was sent back - and shall remain until my task is done. And naked I lay upon the mountain-top. I was alone, forgotten, without escape upon the hard horn of the world. There I lay staring upward, while the stars wheeled over, and each day was as long as a life-age of the earth. Faint to my ears came the gathered rumour of all lands: the springing and the dying, the song and the weeping, and the slow everlasting groan of over-burdened stone.

But healing I found, and I was clothed in white. Counsel I gave and counsel took. Thence by strange roads I came and messages I bring to you.

I am sorry for any alarm caused, that certainly was not my intention and I thank you for your concerns.

strafer

Edmond Dantès;110712787 said:
Darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time, and I wandered far on roads that I will not tell.

Naked I was sent back - and shall remain until my task is done. And naked I lay upon the mountain-top. I was alone, forgotten, without escape upon the hard horn of the world. There I lay staring upward, while the stars wheeled over, and each day was as long as a life-age of the earth. Faint to my ears came the gathered rumour of all lands: the springing and the dying, the song and the weeping, and the slow everlasting groan of over-burdened stone.

But healing I found, and I was clothed in white. Counsel I gave and counsel took. Thence by strange roads I came and messages I bring to you.

I am sorry for any alarm caused, that certainly was not my intention and I thank you for your concerns.

OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!
OMG!
OMG!

OMG!

OMG!

OMG!

<3

Welcome back :)

Are you gonna stay?

Ludovico

As a longtime lurker and huge fan of Dantès, the feelings right now are so real. Glad to see your return!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Welcome back, bro. Glad to see that you're okay! Tolkien threads just weren't the same without you.

iST4tVI0YpgJ5.gif

It's so great to see you're back! Haven't seen so many people so worried about another's whereabouts and doing-ons before, so many people are going to be happy

I'm relieved that you're alive, Edmond Dantès, and happy that you've returned. You really were missed around the Tolkien threads. Our brother, our Captain, our King, welcome back.

Edit: nice gif hahaha ^

Lovely to have you back.

As far as returning posts go, this is both the most relevant, interesting and epic GAF has ever seen.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Now as for The Desolation of Smaug and Peter Jackson; well I have tended to default to the following question, "What would Tolkien think?"

Tolkien did live to see a film script and to comment on it (discussed in past Tolkien threads). The Zimmerman script was undoubtedly a bad one, unambitious and careless, and Tolkien's criticisms are appropriately blistering. But, three points of interest emerge. First, Tolkien had no objection to a film adaptation of The Lord of the Rings and presumably of The Hobbit. Second, he was well aware that certain cuts would have to be made and he was sure that in some circumstances outright cutting would be preferable. But what would happen if the alternative were to take place, where the prime narrative (Bilbo's growth and progression as a character) were to be downgraded, and at times play second fiddle to subsidiary narrative (ancillary material and minor/non-existent characters elevated beyond their established roles)?

Tolkien had this to say:

"The canons of narrative art in any medium cannot be wholly different; and the failure of poor films is often precisely in exaggeration, and in the intrusion of unwarranted matter owning to not perceiving where the core of the original lies."
Letter #210.

In defence of Peter, Fran and Philippa, Tolkien was guilty at times (whether purposely or not) of ignoring basic axioms of narrative, certainly 'show, and don&#8217;t tell'. On occasions Tolkien's narrative is unusually talkative, and ready to bypass major dramatic scenes leaving the reader to fill in the gaps. An obvious example from The Hobbit is Gandalf's disappearance. But therein lies the crux, writing a book is wholly different from controlling a huge budget, having to think of producing a return on investment, to consider popular appeal and so forth.

Are the inclusions damaging to the trilogy? Arguable. Do they harm Tolkien's legacy? Not at all. Is Peter's vision of The Hobbit the correct one? Highly debatable. It's certainly not my vision of The Hobbit, but what does that really matter. What matters is exposure and the films do certainly act as a gateway (albeit with preconceived notions) in to the Legendarium.

But above all, one man's imaginative genius has had the benefit of two lifetime's work (thank you Christopher Tolkien) and the varying visions of Jules Bass, Arthur Rankin Jr, Ralph Bakshi, Peter Jackson, Chris Bouchard, Kate Madison, to name just a few.

Onwards to The Battle of the Five Armies we go.

Dead Man

Glad you are back mate! :)

Platy

IadLdOU.gif

Edmond Dantès;110722180 said:
Now as for The Desolation of Smaug and Peter Jackson; well I have tended to default to the following question, "What would Tolkien think?"

Tolkien did live to see a film script and to comment on it (discussed in past Tolkien threads). The Zimmerman script was undoubtedly a bad one, unambitious and careless, and Tolkien's criticisms are appropriately blistering. But, three points of interest emerge. First, Tolkien had no objection to a film adaptation of The Lord of the Rings and presumably of The Hobbit. Second, he was well aware that certain cuts would have to be made and he was sure that in some circumstances outright cutting would be preferable. But what would happen if the alternative were to take place, where the prime narrative (Bilbo's growth and progression as a character) were to be downgraded, and at times play second fiddle to subsidiary narrative (ancillary material and minor/non-existent characters elevated beyond their established roles)?

Tolkien had this to say:

Letter #210.

In defence of Peter, Fran and Philippa, Tolkien was guilty at times (whether purposely or not) of ignoring basic axioms of narrative, certainly 'show, and don’t tell'. On occasions Tolkien's narrative is unusually talkative, and ready to bypass major dramatic scenes leaving the reader to fill in the gaps. An obvious example from The Hobbit is Gandalf's disappearance. But therein lies the crux, writing a book is wholly different from controlling a huge budget, having to think of producing a return on investment, to consider popular appeal and so forth.

Are the inclusions damaging to the trilogy? Arguable. Do they harm Tolkien's legacy? Not at all. Is Peter's vision of The Hobbit the correct one? Highly debatable. It's certainly not my vision of The Hobbit, but what does that really matter. What matters is exposure and the films do certainly act as a gateway (albeit with preconceived notions) in to the Legendarium.

But above all, one man's imaginative genius has had the benefit of two lifetime's work (thank you Christopher Tolkien) and the varying visions of Jules Bass, Arthur Rankin Jr, Ralph Bakshi, Peter Jackson, Chris Bouchard, Kate Madison, to name just a few.

Onwards to The Battle of the Five Armies we go.

0W4GeMN.gif

Leunam

Late to the homecoming here but it's good to have you back Dantes. Lots of us over at F1 Gaf are going to be glad to see you're alright. :)

raindoc

really glad to hear you're okay.
Also slightly disappointed that after your return, your nick is still Edmond Dantes.

EDMONDDDDDD!!!! <3 AHHH!!!!! OMG OMG OMG! Ahhhhhhh...! /cries

I'm so glad you're back!! We missed you so much!!!! I can't even collect myself to express how happy I am to see you posting again, O.M.G.

Oh man. Oh gosh, I'm so SO HAPPY!! :):):):) EEEEEE!!!

Hey welcome back to you as well Candel, haven't seen you post around here since the DOS release.

Aww thanks!! Yeah, I didn't have the same people around me for the DoS release, so it was harder to keep the positive momentum going :( I'm wary about uhhh, I guess it's "Battle of the Five Armies" now, but yeah... I'm hoping it's not TOO insane!!

Onward!!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
tumblr_inline_n4s0ui9cyk05.gif

Glad to have you back brother :)

Glad you are back mate! :)
Glad to be back amongst friends.
Late to the homecoming here but it's good to have you back Dantes. Lots of us over at F1 Gaf are going to be glad to see you're alright. :)
Thanks. My lack of posting in the F1 thread is not because I've forgotten you fine gentlemen, but because of a disinterest in a sport I once loved. But I still enjoy endurance racing.
really glad to hear you're okay.
Also slightly disappointed that after your return, your nick is still Edmond Dantes.
Whoa, I thought Edmond was dead for sure. Nice to see that he's still kicking. :)
I felt I was dead at times during this past year, but one must fight on.

EDMONDDDDDD!!!! <3 AHHH!!!!! OMG OMG OMG! Ahhhhhhh...! /cries

I'm so glad you're back!! We missed you so much!!!! I can't even collect myself to express how happy I am to see you posting again, O.M.G.

Oh man. Oh gosh, I'm so SO HAPPY!! :):):):) EEEEEE!!!
I've always loved your passion and enthusiasm. Don't ever let it diminish.

bengraven

helms_deep_charge.jpg

I couldn't miss out on the reunion! Welcome back, my friend. Your counsel has long been missed. Those whose journey far go with our blessings, but our people worry when news travels slow. I hope you found what you were looking for. Welcome back!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
helms_deep_charge.jpg

I couldn't miss out on the reunion! Welcome back, my friend. Your counsel has long been missed. Those whose journey far go with our blessings, but our people worry when news travels slow. I hope you found what you were looking for. Welcome back!
Much have I missed talking Tolkien.

And there's so much more to discuss here and in Loxley's thread.

Filmwise:

• Posters,
  • Teasers and trailers,
  • TDOS Extended edition,
  • Narrative speculation,
  • The recently cancelled Fall of Gondolin fan film,
  • The end of Peter Jackson's Middle-earth journey.

Tolkien in general:

• Beowulf by Tolkien (due 22 May),
  • The facsimile edition of The Hobbit due for release this year,
  • A new edition of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.

Scholarly analysis:

• Tolkien and time-travel,
  • The recurring maimed king motif,
  • Manichaeism in Tolkien's work and Boethius,
  • Frodo's not so happy ending?
  • Tolkien's recurring Atlantis dream/nightmare,
  • Frodo the water infant and Scyld,
  • In defence of Old Man Willow,
  • Tolkien and J.W. Dunne's Observer 1 and Observer 2 concept from An Experiment in Time,
  • The abandoned epilogue to The Lord of the Rings and its implications,
  • The Silmarillion as it should have been,
  • The Valar: Gods, angels or demiurge?
And much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom