• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit trilogy - News, rumours and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw The Hobbit (1977). I had no idea
the eagles were part of the five armies
. I can already sort of tell how Jackson is going to handle that. One question for those who know, will the
goblins be replaced by the orcs with the pale orc? I don't see the goblins fitting there now.

Now that I think about it I don't remember a single thing he did in DoS. At least in AUJ EE he had one funny scene but in DoS I dont even remember seeing him!

Me neither.

Loxley

I just saw The Hobbit (1977). I had no idea
the eagles were part of the five armies
. I can already sort of tell how Jackson is going to handle that. One question for those who know, will the
goblins be replaced by the orcs with the pale orc? I don't see the goblins fitting there now.

Me neither.

There's no real established difference between goblins and orcs in the Legendarium, they're just different names for the same race. Peter Jackson chose to make the goblins visually different from the orcs in AUJ for purely aesthetic reasons (their pale skin is a result of lack of exposure to sunlight from living in caves). Some fans have preferred to refer to orcs who dwell in caves/caverns as goblins, but in reality they're one and the same. So technically,
the goblin army is really just an orc army anyway.

The orcs will probably be led by Azog, yeah. Sauron will send them to Erebor and while his army is gone, the White Counsel will swoop in and cleanse Dol Guldur, similar to how the Ents attacked Isengard while Saruman's army was away in Two Towers.

There's no real established difference between goblins and orcs in the Legendarium, they're just different names for the same race. Peter Jackson chose to make the goblins visually different from the orcs in AUJ for purely aesthetic reasons (their pale skin is a result of lack of exposure to sunlight from living in caves). Some fans have preferred to refer to orcs who dwell in caves/caverns as goblins, but in reality they're one and the same. So technically,
the goblin army is really just an orc army anyway.

Thanks.

Loxley

Is there a vague release date for the first trailer for 'There And Back Again'?

None at the moment. It doesn't look like Jackson will be doing a live-stream reveal of TABA footage like he did last year for DOS. Richard Armitage has indicated that the movie will likely have a presence at Comic-Con this year, so my best guess is that we'll get the first trailer around that time. Up to that point we'll hopefully get either a new vlog or some stills from the film, but it's anybody's guess. Jackson hasn't really made a peep about TABA yet, likely because he's still knee-deep in the post-production process.

And hey, maybe he's finally getting around to doing the mo-cap for the Tintin sequel that I really want :(

MegalonJJ

Banned
None at the moment. It doesn't look like Jackson will be doing a live-stream reveal of TABA footage like he did last year for DOS. Richard Armitage has indicated that the movie will likely have a presence at Comic-Con this year, so my best guess is that we'll get the first trailer around that time. Up to that point we'll hopefully get either a new vlog or some stills from the film, but it's anybody's guess. Jackson hasn't really made a peep about TABA yet, likely because he's still knee-deep in the post-production process.

And hey, maybe he's finally getting around to doing the mo-cap for the Tintin sequel that I really want :(

Ah ok, cool.

I really dig his adaptation of the Hobbit, so I'm looking forward to the final part.

He's gonna spend more time making sure the VFX look finished :p

We'll probably hear things in SDCC. Although didn't PJ said they aren't attending?

Vashetti

Banned
Wasn't it around this time last year we started hearing about AUJ EE?

Now that the standard releases of DOS are out of the way, I'm really eager to hear about the EE version.

Jacob

Wasn't it around this time last year we started hearing about AUJ EE?

Now that the standard releases of DOS are out of the way, I'm really eager to hear about the EE version.

All of the previous EEs were released in November, about a month before the next film's theatrical release. The only exception was ROTK, which didn't have a next film to promote, and that EE came out in December 2004. We might get some clips from the EE over the summer, though. The first AUJ-EE clip was released online, along with a press release and cover art, at the end of July last year.

Daft_Cat

Any word on Edmond Dantes?

I exchanged PMs with him around the release of the first film. Never even found out what he thought of AUJ. I remember he was coy for a bit after he saw it.

Fevaweva

Inside Information...
Our journey to make The Hobbit Trilogy has been in some ways like Bilbo's own, with hidden paths revealing their secrets to us as we've gone along. “There and Back Again” felt like the right name for the second of a two film telling of the quest to reclaim Erebor, when Bilbo’s arrival there, and departure, were both contained within the second film. But with three movies, it suddenly felt misplaced—after all, Bilbo has already arrived “there” in the "Desolation of Smaug".
When we did the premiere trip late last year, I had a quiet conversation with the studio about the idea of revisiting the title. We decided to keep an open mind until a cut of the film was ready to look at. We reached that point last week, and after viewing the movie, we all agreed there is now one title that feels completely appropriate.
And so: "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" it is.
As Professor Tolkien intended, “There and Back Again” encompasses Bilbo’s entire adventure, so don’t be surprised if you see it used on a future box-set of all three movies.
Before then however, we have a film to finish, and much to share with you. It’s been a nice quiet time for us—Jabez and I happily editing away in a dark cave in Wellington—but those halcyon days are quickly coming to an end. It will soon be time to step into the light. Expect to see and hear much about The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies in the coming months.
And there’s also The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Cut, which we’re in the process of finishing, with over 25 mins of new scenes, all scored with original music composed by Howard Shore.
It’ll be a fun year!

The source right here!

WJD

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies it is.

Really liked There and Back Again as a title, but I can understand the reasoning behind changing it. BotFA sounds a little... Simple, though. Named by committee kind of thing.

Vashetti

Banned
Fuck off.

There and Back Again was perfect. Cunts.

And there’s also The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Cut, which we’re in the process of finishing, with over 25 mins of new scenes, all scored with original music composed by Howard Shore.

This is good news though. Double of the 13 mins we got for AUJ.

Kud Dukan

Doesn't bother me. There and Back Again is a great title, but it doesn't make any sense for the last film.

Already There and Back Again would have been more accurate than There and Back Again.

jett

D-Member
25 minutes more minutes for DOS? I wish he would actually trim his movies.

Any word on Edmond Dantes?

I exchanged PMs with him around the release of the first film. Never even found out what he thought of AUJ. I remember he was coy for a bit after he saw it.

He hasn't posted in like a year. People fear he has died.

25 minutes still not quite on LOTR levels but should be enough to make it feel like a proper Extended Edition. AUJ EE felt way too close to the original.

A-V-B

Well at least the new title is more truthful and tells you what the adaptation's all about, instead of pretending it's Bilbo's charming little magical journey through nature with some a wizard in a blue hat and some colorful dwarves.

A-V-B

That's exactly the reason.

Americans wouldn't feel comfortable going to "there and back again". It sounds like the title of a Cameron Diaz romantic comedy.

Cameron Diaz and Seth Rogen in... The Fellowship of the Ring

Random filmgoer: "Oh yeah, of course, the wedding ring!"

Loxley

TBOTFA official title logo:

0Eso80K.jpg

"TBOTFA" isn't nearly has fun to type as TABA :( I suggest we just shorten it to "BOFA".

Loxley

Fantastic news everyone! Our old friend and Tolkien scholar Edmond Dantes has been in touch with me, and I'm relieved to pass on that he's okay and will begin posting again shortly :D

tumblr_m8kk3ogpep1qzc9pkkj.gif

iuxion

Doesn't bother me. There and Back Again is a great title, but it doesn't make any sense for the last film.

Already There and Back Again would have been more accurate than There and Back Again.

This logic doesn't really make any sense. Title was perfect.

Fantastic news everyone! Our old friend and Tolkien scholar Edmond Dantes has been in touch with me, and I'm relieved to pass on that he's okay and will begin posting again shortly :D

Glad to know he's still around, I was worried that something had happened, and potentially we'd never know if he was okay!

jett

D-Member

tumblr_m8kk3ogpep1qzc9pkkj.gif

Really great news. I had already assumed the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom