• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit trilogy - News, rumours and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ixion

I thought it was funny how this movie has been at 60% fresh on RottenTomatoes for a while now. It looks like it's going to hang on by a thread.

Focusing on Thorin is fine, just don't call the series "The Hobbit". Call it "Middle Earth", or pretty much anything else, and an appropriate subtitle for each film. Probably could have kept the ones they used. I think most fans would approach the film with a more understanding mindset.

I've liked Armitage just fine in other roles, but he seemed completely lost as Thorin. A lot of the character's journey was lost.

I'll step back a bit by saying there was a huge scripting problem for his character that hurt his performance a lot more. Armitage was very good with the scene with Bilbo and the acorn, for example.

Aaron

I've liked Armitage just fine in other roles, but he seemed completely lost as Thorin. A lot of the character's journey was lost.
I completely agree. He doesn't have much of an emotional range, making some of his moments come off as really flat. It's especially noticeable in the third movie when he has to act with emotion beyond being gruff and determined. Compare him to Sean Bean's Boromir, who had a similar though briefer arc, and there's no contest.

Vashetti

Banned

I'll step back a bit by saying there was a huge scripting problem for his character that hurt his performance a lot more. Armitage was very good with the scene with Bilbo and the acorn, for example.

That scene makes me tear up every time. Beautiful stuff.

Watevaman

That scene makes me tear up every time. Beautiful stuff.

This reminds me, some of you said that the last hobbit movie had some pretty sad/tearful moments and I honestly am struggling to think of a single one that came even close to the end of RotK (the one that seemed like it tried was Tauriel at the end, but I just chuckled). Now that most of us have seen the movie, what moments were sad for you lot?

Vashetti

Banned
This reminds me, some of you said that the last hobbit movie had some pretty sad/tearful moments and I honestly am struggling to think of a single one that came even close to the end of RotK (the one that seemed like it tried was Tauriel at the end, but I just chuckled). Now that most of us have seen the movie, what moments were sad for you lot?

Bilbo/Thorin acorn scene
Thorin/Dwalin "You are lesser now than you have ever been." scene
Fili death
Kili death
Tauriel mourning Kili
Bilbo/Thorin final conversation
Bilbo sat in contemplation whilst Gandalf tries to make him feel better by fumbling with his pipe (equally a funny scene, too)
Bilbo's return to the Shire: "He was... he was my friend."
Bilbo entering his empty, ransacked house and trying his hardest not to handle the Ring for as long as possible, before finally succumbing. The implication being that he is going to become an isolated old man who can't let go of this curious artefact, which is exactly what happens.

BTM

Bilbo/Thorin acorn scene
Thorin/Dwalin "You are lesser now than you have ever been." scene
Fili death
Kili death
Tauriel mourning Kili
Bilbo/Thorin final conversation
Bilbo sat in contemplation whilst Gandalf tries to make him feel better by fumbling with his pipe (equally a funny scene, too)
Bilbo's return to the Shire: "He was... he was my friend."
Bilbo entering his empty, ransacked house and trying his hardest not to handle the Ring for as long as possible, before finally succumbing. The implication being that he is going to become an isolated old man who can't let go of this curious artefact, which is exactly what happens.

These really got to me. The "He was my friend" one probably had the strongest effect. Also, Bilbo's last meeting with the dwarves before he leaves had me tearing up.

Epcott

Saw this today. Talk about over the top action and drawn out scenes. Ugh.

And when Legolas was told to go North and meet up with a strapping young lad named Strider... the woman sitting next to me snorted in sarcasm. Ridiculous film.

(Edit: though I do enjoy how the end tied into LOTR. Maybe I'll feel differently after watching all 6 films together).

Loxley

Update on the logo, still not quite finished and subject to change. :

ECwxPBG.jpg

Curufinwe

I finished reading the BotFA design book yesterday, and I really can't wait to see

-Alfrid's death (which is mentioned over and over again)
-Thorin's funeral/Dain's coronation
-Beorn carrying Thorin from the battlefield

There's a particularly good sketch of the last one. So good it makes me kinda mad they cut the scene from the film version.

I finished reading the BotFA design book yesterday, and I really can't wait to see

There's a particularly good sketch of the last one. So good it makes me kinda mad they cut the scene from the film version.
It just baffles me how they decided to let especially those last two to end up into cutting room floor. So much potential for strong emotional scenes.

And imagine scene in middle of actual battle when good guys are losing, then earthshaking roar stops whole battle and huge angry Beorn comes running from south, turning the tide

It jus weird how much they spent time and energy to design and model huge variety of Orcs, trolls, ogres and what not. So much different stuff that nothing stands out. Then you don't get to see ironhill dwarves really fighting, or even our beloved company dwarves are lacking their battle scenes. Hell if you have need for OTT action, make Dain and Beorn strike a deal and next scene has crazy dwarflord riding enormous bear, killing orcs and trolls left and right.

Gravidee

Haha, I'd love to see that first one in the EE. Also, it would be great if we actually got to see Gandalf's vision with Smaug commanding a legion or orcs as a sort of EE prologue to the movie. Those last two you listed will most definitely be in the extended cut. They have to be.

Loxley

I'll probably buy the six pack since I've never bought an EE.

Loxley, you got an estimate on when the new thread is going up?

No ETA yet unfortunately. I've been pre-occupied with RL stuff and haven't been able to make much progress on it over the last few weeks. Dantes and I want something grand, so it's a sizable undertaking. But fear not, it's definitely still coming.

Loxley

Well hello there folks. So Dantes and I have managed to formulate a plan with the TolkienGAF OT. Since he and I have both been supremely busy with real life goings-on, we've decided to create the thread in a piece-meal fashion.

We want something grand for the OP, but instead of a massive one right off the bat, it'll be fairly bare-bones at the start. It'll have a banner by myself and a "Tolkien Timleline" created by Dantes. Over time, as we're able to, Dantes and I will continue to add to the OP and eventually it'll be something awesome.

Look for the thread to pop up either tonight or tomorrow :)

Well hello there folks. So Dantes and I have managed to formulate a plan with the TolkienGAF OT. Since he and I have both been supremely busy with real life goings-on, we've decided to create the thread in a piece-meal fashion.

We want something grand for the OP, but instead of a massive one right off the bat, it'll be fairly bare-bones at the start. It'll have a banner by myself and a "Tolkien Timleline" created by Dantes. Over time, as we're able to, Dantes and I will continue to add to the OP and eventually it'll be something awesome.

Look for the thread to pop up either tonight or tomorrow :)

Dantes is alive and well? Oh, thank the Ainur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom