• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

show me the absolute BEST character design you can think of

eliochip

That block thing isn't really that special and kind of like, doesn't give credit for the other numerous reasons why characters are memerables.

Its a neat thing at best.
I can recognize each and every one of the characters that those blocks of simple colors represent. That is admirable in and of itself. It's not just "neat" it's part of what makes those characters well designed.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
wallpaper.ys-8-lacrimosa-of-dana.1920x1200.2016-02-24.32.jpg
A+

The strongest character design in the series, easily. The color scheme and streamlined but distinct look worked so well. Aveline was a close second though.

Aveline-de-Grandpré-Assassins-Creed-3.png

I disagree . Aveline is the BEST design in the creed franchise..
Like , everyone is so far behind ..Such a shame they used their best story and best ideas on an entry most didn't play with such limited scope.

Other thread has people keep saying "Japanese artists the thread" and yet this thread is almost exclusively Japanese designs too.

I guess that just boils down to Japanese character designs being more memorable and a sort of high risk/high reward design philosophy in Japanese designs. :D

Mathieran

Banned
This character:

The concept, the way he is designed, the color choices, the animation.... Everything is spot on.

Yes! I spent so much time drawing EJ when I was in middle school cause I thought he was so cool. And I was never much of an artist but with tons of practice I got pretty decent at drawing him.

RevenWolf

revan-kotor.jpg

Revan the GOAT

Pretty great design, but I feel that Darth Nihils from KOTOR 2 looks ethereal and really nails the sense that he's a force of nature more than just a person in body armour.

214182-118145-darth-nihilus.jpg

My second option is Kreia from KOTOR 2. While at first glance it's rather plain, she's one of the best written characters of all time, and the more you interact with her, the more the design gains depth in small touches that were added.

latest

There's a lot of character designs that I love, because I love a lot of characters in video games.

The BEST one for me though...every time I think about my favorite designs, I always come back to Sweet Tooth's modern design from Twisted Metal:

I don't think there's any other character that I see where if his design is in a game, it makes me want to play that game. I already really like clowns, and Sweet Tooth to me has hands down the best design of any clown in video games. It's menacing, it stands out, and I just think it's damn cool.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Not a popular pic, but I'm a fan of the original Bloodrayne design. She's definitely a product of early 2000s edginess and sex appeal.

dtlbrpic2.JPG

I also like the Prince of Falena from Suikoden V

Freyjadour.Falenas.full.149707.jpg

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Really like it when female warriors are depicted in plausible combat attire.

Chris from Suikoden 3 has always been a favorite of mine.

D8AGe.jpg

This right here is my favorite example.

Some other ones.

Dame Ravness from Tactics Ogre

NChnsDn.jpg

Agrias from FFT

3O01yOt.png

Shanoa from OoC

C7g5jky.png

[Asmodean]

Some really cool posts so far. Some obscure ones that I'd intended to post, but pleasantly surprised that they'd already been posted :eek:

Although, .. I dunno how 5+ pages have gone by without

d2YYopY.png

dC7p0lR.png

6HFsZEM.jpg

Almond

Elma - Xenoblade Chronicles X

latest

(And her other look later in the game too, but spoilers :/)

Reika - Fatal Frame 3

latest

Aren't too many good screens of her unfortunately.

Top Bottom