• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata is Gold

Is anyone else worried that this game being the first and probably highest chance of being a commercially succesful title with a high budget might have put limits to Yoko Taro's crazy writing and design decisions?

Good news for you then:
they've actually spoken out multiple times in interviews about how much creative freedom Square Enix has given them with the project - it legit caught them off guard.

Hektor

Is anyone else worried that this game being the first and probably highest chance of being a commercially succesful title with a high budget might have put limits to Yoko Taro's crazy writing and design decisions?

I got the impression that SE realized the appeal behind Yoko Taro's stuff, with him appearing at E3 and them having a survey about him, giving him probably more free reign than before.

Wagram

The appeal behind Yoko's games is his crazy. I'm not buying this for Platinum's combat.

I'll probably do one more poll to decide on the OT title, with runner ups being used for OT2, OT3, etc. If anyone has any last minute ideas, let me know.

I'll probably won't change any minds and I don't have any concrete suggestions, but perhaps it would be fitting if the the OT title relfected either the Scalebound cancellation or the fact that the Switch + Zelda are launching very close to it (which made Yoko Taro somewhat nervous in his comments about the console it seems). Maybe they could even be combined into one title in the sense that this game needs all the help it can get to "save" PG/Yoko's sanity and that even console releases were thrown at it to try and keep it from being succesful.

Interesting thoughts - I'll see if I can't come up with something in this vein for the poll.

I have never heard of anyone pushing for the second title until this post lol

I was rewatching the trailers for the OT (which is ready to go) and it stuck out to me as a good OT title.

That delivery in that trailer is amazing.

Agreed.

Why not both? That's what OT2 is for!

If just one tho I pick for the glory

See, this is what polls are for, hahaha.

I'm not sure if we will reach OT2. Automata isn't very high profile.

Don't jinx it like that - if the demo thread can reach 76 pages, surely the OT can reach more. (Though an OT2 may be pushing it...)

Hmmmm. Nah. Yoko Taro gonna Yoko Taro all day, everyday. That's just how he rolls.

mcz117chief

Don't jinx it like that - if the demo thread can reach 76 pages, surely the OT can reach more. (Though an OT2 may be pushing it...)

Just being realistic. Look at The Last Guardian. The most hyped game of (almost) all time and it never even got close. Multiplayer, exploration, hidden content, etc., etc. drives OTs forward (by vast majority though the multiplayer).

Palmer27

May well wait for the pc version what with all of the games as of late but VERY excited to play this when I do - familiar with the OST to Nier, love platinum and was impressed by the demo!

Just being realistic. Look at The Last Guardian. The most hyped game of (almost) all time and it never even got close. Multiplayer, exploration, hidden content, etc., etc. drives OTs forward (by vast majority though the multiplayer).

Oh I know, just being hopeful.

I'm pretty confident it will reach more posts than the demo thread... As for anything more than that, not so sure.

I'm one those who never played the previous game, but tried the demo and is very interested. I know they announced PC version and have been very quiet about it so thats why I'm on fence with PS4 version.

chrono01

i'm still getting the game but I cancelled my black box pre-order. The figure just wasn't good enough to justify the price
But the artbook/steelbook/soundtrack CD!

Speaking of the Black Box Edition, my pre-order was charged earlier this morning. Goodbye money, but it was meant 2B.

asariN7

Gimmie that goodness
tumblr_nrabgwc5f51s307p6o2_500.gif

Hektor

My Black Box preorder hasn't been charged yet. I hope that's because i ordered at the EU store and not because something did go wrong ;_;

i'm still getting the game but I cancelled my black box pre-order. The figure just wasn't good enough to justify the price

But the artbook/steelbook/soundtrack CD!

Speaking of the Black Box Edition, my pre-order was charged earlier this morning. Goodbye money, but it was meant 2B.

I was in a similar position, the black box being $313 in total here in Canada killed it for me though...

Right now I just have my preorder in for the regular edition. (Though I will really regret not being able to get the Artbook, CD and steelbook...)

PS: If anyone is getting the steelbook and doesn't want it, throw me a line.

chrono01

I was in a similar position, the black box being $313 in total here in Canada killed it for me though...

Right now I just have my preorder in for the regular edition.

(Though I will really regret not being able to get the Artbook, CD and steelbook...)

PS: If anyone is getting the steelbook and doesn't want it, throw me a line.
I'm in Canada too, so I feel your pain.

I don't care though, I needed it so I ordered it. Regret will come later probably, but I'll have all of my BBE goodies to keep me company.

Right now I just have my preorder in for the regular edition. (Though I will really regret not being able to get the Artbook, CD and steelbook...)

yeah this is exactly me, also in Canada.

would have kept my pre-order had the figure been better quality (or bigger) tbh

Maxinas

Releasing right after Zelda killed my hype for this game. I'll pick up it sometime down the road, and hopefully it turns out to be a genuinely good game.

corin7

Neo Member
Releasing right after Zelda killed my hype for this game. I'll pick up it sometime down the road, and hopefully it turns out to be a genuinely good game.

I am getting a Switch and Zelda, and this game then leaving taking a trip to Vegas the following weekend. FML.

Hektor

Even tho we're now only two weeks away, even tho i played a demo, even tho i played it a dozen times, i still can't believe this game is real.

Nier was such a weird, stealthy gem, that after all of its cool ideas and unique charm instantaneously became my favorite videogame of them all despite all of its rough edges. But because the world is a cruel place, the game didn't sold well and the studio that made it shut down, a sequel was unthinkable.

And then during a complety inconspicuous E3 press conference, they suddenly not only announce a sequel with the OG team on board, it's also made by the best action game dev in the biz.

Now someone is making an OT for Nier 2, we're looking at smooth gifs, playing a demo, and waiting for the digital preorders to unlock.

I really don't understand it, but it is beautiful.

pezzie

Square Enix does a lot of stupid stuff, but them greenlighting this game made me love them far more than I have in the last decade.

Is the prequel worth tracking down and playing? I've heard good things over the years. It was a title that kind of fell thru the cracks. I sorta want to play thru before the new game is released, but if it aged badly and has antiquated/infuriating mechanics maybe I'm better off not playing it and just Youtubing it...?

Top Bottom