• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Americans Order Their Steak (Rare 2.5%, Well Done 11.7%)

fantomena

According to this pic I found, I'd go for medium-rare.

shutterstock_271227893.jpg

I always cook my steaks either medium rare or medium well. My wife always makes me make hers well done and they are just too dry when they are well done for my tastes. She just hates the sight of blood or pink in her meat and I want to stay married so I listen to her and cook her steaks the way she wants them to be.

I try to avoid shitty steaks, but I am not sure if they taste any better or worse if you get them rare, medium or well done. I am pretty sure a shitty steak is going to taste shitty no matter how you cook it. As I said I try to avoid garbage steaks but it would be interesting to know what is the best way to cook a garbage steak. I would imagine for shit steaks more then how you cook them it is how you season them that matters. You probably have to fucking put a bunch of sauce or some shit on them for them to be decent.

Best way to cook a garbage steak is to make Bulgogi

I always cook my steaks either medium rare or medium well. My wife always makes me make hers well done and they are just too dry when they are well done for my tastes. She just hates the sight of blood or pink in her meat and I want to stay married so I listen to her and cook her steaks the way she wants them to be.

I try to avoid shitty steaks, but I am not sure if they taste any better or worse if you get them rare, medium or well done. I am pretty sure a shitty steak is going to taste shitty no matter how you cook it. As I said I try to avoid garbage steaks but it would be interesting to know what is the best way to cook a garbage steak. I would imagine for shit steaks more then how you cook them it is how you season them that matters. You probably have to fucking put a bunch of sauce or some shit on them for them to be decent.

Best way to cook a garbage steak 🤔🤔🤔

Meier

I generally go Medium. Medium rare is better generally speaking but some places go too rare for me even at mid rare.

Certainly more dangerous than a slab of steak tho!

Especially if you're not getting it from a trusted butcher but from Kroger

Yeah I mean I wouldn't do it with pre-ground grocery store beef but my point is that's properly handled red meat can be consumed at any temp or raw as opposed to chicken regardless of how well sanitation conditions are around it.

v1lla21

I always order medium rare. I used to get it well done because my mom would force me to as a kid but now I'm my own man.

Idk if it's because I'm colorblind or what but I can't tell they difference in the picture above.

And for the love of god please do not eat pink pork

Actually that's quite safe nowadays. It's only really in the past that you had to make sure pork was cooked thoroughly, as pigs were literally fed trash.

It's a tricky hurdle to overcome, having rare pork, though, and that's why I'm sympathetic towards those who have a psychological aversion to rare beef.

Why some of you guys always feel the need to shame those that eat their steaks well done is beyond me, it's become a trend in steak topics. God forbid that people have tastes that differ from yours.

According to this pic I found, I'd go for medium-rare.

shutterstock_271227893.jpg

This image is terrible. The steak that says blue just looks rare to me. Blue should almost look, well, blue in the middle (or at least dark red/vaguely purple).

And why does the medium rare steak look well-done 2/3 of the way through and then rare in a tiny sliver in the middle? It should be cooked on the outside and then dark pink all the way through.

milanbaros

Member?
Actually that's quite safe nowadays. It's only really in the past that you had to make sure pork was cooked thoroughly, as pigs were literally fed trash.

It's a tricky hurdle to overcome, having rare pork, though, and that's why I'm sympathetic towards those who have a psychological aversion to rare beef.

Yeah, pink pork has become standard in high end London restaurants. Trust your meat and it's ok.

I'm a well-done guy and I've caught hell for it all my life. I like almost all my food well done or slightly burnt so everyone can just bug off.

For anyone thinking that everyone who is against well-done steak is just being shitty and snobby, there is science to the argument. A lot of the proteins that give a good steak it's flavors are burned up when the meat reaches a certain temperature. You essentially turn it into a cheap pharmacy store steak, and a passionate chef who might consider this to be his craft, has every right to take offence.

MisterR

Why some of you guys always feel the need to shame those that eat their steaks well done is beyond me, it's become a trend in steak topics. God forbid that people have tastes that differ from yours.

It's insulting if it's a good cut of meat to cook it into shoe leather. In a way it's like taking high quality expensive food and taking it and dumping it into a garbage can. They really should just eat something else, because they are ruining the meat and it's wasteful.

I thought it was just ribbing, who really cares how you have your steak done?

I'm not eating it for you!

Dali

Did they have longhorn survey their customers on ketchup usage too? That way we can round up both the well dones and the ketchup users at once when we set them adrift in the vastness of space.

Tripon

Mine have to be cooked brown all the way through to the middle- no red whatsoever. If there is then it has to go back till they can or throw it in the garbage and cook another for me till you can. If you burn the outside while you cook it then it gets sent back until you can cook it medium-well and no burnt anything on the outside. Any hint of pink or red and it will always go back. I have had expensive steakhouses go through 5 or 6 steaks until they got it right.

Why do you want your steak well done?

And burnt anything? It's a piece of meat, it's supposed to be cooked, that's part of the process of cooking. You're literally burning the meat so the flavor is enhanced.

ItIsOkBro

medium well = people that really want their steaks well done but know that there's a stigma against it so they say medium well

andymcc

Banned
Yea I do because the idea that a well done steak suddenly miraculously loses all flavor is rubbish. There is nothing like well marbled ribeye grilled well done with the outside fat charred and crispy. And my steak has to be grilled, cannot stand baked or pan fried steak. Pay $100+ for a steak at Ruth Chris and you throw that shit in an oven, fuck outta here with that.

It's certainly a loss of value and you're breaking down the taste of what makes expensive meats, well, expensive.

if you want marbled fat that's grilled, charred and crispy, save money and get short rib or some shit.

Guys seriously medium-well means it has a thin strip of pink in the middle. If you order medium well and it comes out brown all the way through the guy who cooked it over cooked it.

Which is pretty common because medium well is the hardest temperature to hit.

MisterR

Yea I do because the idea that a well done steak suddenly miraculously loses all flavor is rubbish. There is nothing like well marbled ribeye grilled well done with the outside fat charred and crispy. And my steak has to be grilled, cannot stand baked or pan fried steak. Pay $100+ for a steak at Ruth Chris and you throw that shit in an oven, fuck outta here with that.

If you're going to do this, then at least don't get good prime meat. It's a waste to get high quality meat and intentionally burn it. Get some cheap steaks and burn em up and coat them with some A1 or ketchup and that's fine.

I'm Mexican, so if I find out my steak ends up becoming well done, I say fuck it we are having tacos. my steak if eaten as a whole piece of meat must be medium rare.

Mine have to be cooked brown all the way through to the middle- no red whatsoever. If there is then it has to go back till they can or throw it in the garbage and cook another for me till you can. If you burn the outside while you cook it then it gets sent back until you can cook it medium-well and no burnt anything on the outside. Any hint of pink or red and it will always go back. I have had expensive steakhouses go through 5 or 6 steaks until they got it right.

Lol, orders medium well then sends it back until they read his mind and bring him a well done steak.

Anyway rare is the superior choice but I have no problem with medium rare or medium people. If you want your steak well done you should just eat something else, you're missing the point of a steak.

Ponn

Banned
I'm a well-done guy and I've caught hell for it all my life. I like almost all my food well done or slightly burnt so everyone can just bug off.

*fist bump*

Stay strong as we walk through these flames.

It's certainly a loss of value and you're breaking down the taste of what makes expensive meats, well, expensive.

if you want marbled fat that's grilled, charred and crispy, save money and get short rib or some shit.

I'm actually not a fan of ribs. Value wise I find them horrible for the amount of meat you get. And they can be too fatty with grizzle that turns me right off. All of a sudden I'm just having potato salad for dinner.

As long as I'm grilling steak myself the price isn't bad at all. I can get a good size marbled ribeye from publix for about 8 -10 bucks and I never can finish it at once. I always have some leftover that I slice and use for stir fry.

Lucreto

Medium, medium well or well done for me depending on my mood.

I am fussy about my steak. All fat is removed before cooking, gets tenderised with a steak hammer and grilled until medium well.

Medium, medium well or well done for me depending on my mood.

I am fussy about my steak. All fat is removed before cooking, gets tenderised with a steak hammer and grilled until medium well.

Why even order steak when you seemingly hate everything that's great about them?

I'm really surprised they didn't just microwave it till its brown for you.

SDCowboy

I prefer medium-rare. However, unless I'm at a really good steak joint, I usually order medium as it seems to have a higher chance of being cooked correctly (in my experience). Often times when I order medium-rare, it's either super rare or medium anyway, so I usually just order medium.

Top Bottom