• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz Hirai: We will let Microsoft make the first move

BadWolf

It's not like when MS reveals the price that it's set in stone.

MS: "Durango will be $400!"
Sony: "Orbis will be $350!"
MS: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!"

If MS reveals the price and changes it after Sony reveals their's then that definitely won't be a good look.

Also, I don't think Sony is aiming to undercut MS as much as match them.

Kyon

Banned
No fanks. I want powerful consoles next gen. I want MS and Sony to go all out. I loved the jump from PS2XBox/Ps360

I hope next gen is almost as big a leap in grfx *.*

tipoo

Banned
Re: The pricing strategy, how could they take a significant cut to whatever they were going to ask without taking a loss, unless they wanted a large margin on a console (which is pretty unheard of recently)? Sony will not want to take a loss on each console again. They probably already have their price target figured out.

I think what they may be waiting to see is if Kinect 2 is bundled with each nextbox or something like that. That could change things significantly, and it may make Sony bundle in Move or other unique features.

I wouldn't if I were you lol. People got banned for this type of mess.

Oh. Noted.

No fanks. I want powerful consoles next gen. I want MS and Sony to go all out. I loved the jump from PS2XBox/Ps360

That's what you - a gamer in a niche market that cares about specs - wants. I'm pretty sure you love your Vita too and love how powerful it is. But Sony would rather that everyone loves the Vita like Nintendo DS/iPhone.

The mass market won't be buying a $599 console when they can get the "super cool iPad that has a lot of lifestyle applications and does so much" for just $499. PlayStation 3 (at launch, before the rebranding) and PlayStation Vita did not set the market on fire despite being significantly more powerful than the competition. And I hope that the PlayStation 4, unlike the Vita, has a target audience.

JWong

Banned
Not sure why some people are taking it the wrong way.

Kaz is simply stating the obvious. This is just a business tactic.

JoexBLU

Banned
"Kaz Hirai: We will let Microsoft make the first move"

Course, to copy everything.
Sony 2014: Playstation Glasses, Playstation Smartglass, Playstation TV, Playstation IllumiRoom.

BadWolf

Re: The pricing strategy, how could they take a significant cut to whatever they were going to ask without taking a loss, unless they wanted a large margin on a console (which is pretty unheard of recently)? Sony will not want to take a loss on each console again. They probably already have their price target figured out.

I think what they may be waiting to see is if Kinect 2 is bundled with each nextbox or something like that. That could change things significantly, and it may make Sony bundle in Move or other unique features.

The last thing they want is to be the most expensive console on the market again.

Price screwed both the PS3 and the Vita.

MrHicks

Banned
If MS reveals the price and changes it after Sony reveals their's then that definitely won't be a good look.

Also, I don't think Sony is aiming to undercut MS as much as match them.

broke ass sony isn't gonna "pricewar" with MS
its a battle that cannot be won

kuroshiki

this has more to do with pricing.

I mean duh. guys. mass manufacturing takes times and Kaz is expert in that. PS4 spec is already near-finalized at this point. I'm sure sony ninjas already informed him about Xbox's specs and everything.

I think Kaz is talking in general. Not specific to the next playstation I hope. Either console should not be released more 6 months apart because they may lose a lot of mindshare and sales. What he says is clever though obvious in terms of pricing. I wonder if either Sony or Microsoft will not reveal the price of their console during E3. They might want to wait to see the reaction and the price of the competitors console.

Alx

Move and Wii mote is two different technologies. Stop to compare them. Move uses augmented reality markers and Mote uses three-axis accelerometer (i.e gimped DS3).

With move, a static camera is tracking a light source (bulb) for direction and distance, and merge it with inertial data. With wiimote, a mobile camera is tracking two light sources (IR LEDs in sensor bar) for direction and distance and merge it with inertial data.

Both are very similar, the main difference is that the more recent sensor has better resolution, and that the different locations of the sensors make one better at pointing, and the other better at localizing in 3D space.

Do you hear that?

It's..doom...

Sony is... DOOMED.

1358741060094.gif

Metazoid

Banned
So basically Microsoft and Sony are twiddling their thumbs waiting for the other to do something? This could be hilarious.

With so many games left to release for PS3, I wouldn't be too bothered about it missing 2013.

Better to take their time than rush it. It's just good business.

Mondriaan

So basically Microsoft and Sony are twiddling their thumbs waiting for the other to do something? This could be hilarious.
Kaz is probably just saying that worldwide the PS3 is doing better than the 360 right now, so they are in position to wait things out.

Nestunt

That's what you - a gamer in a niche market that cares about specs - wants. I'm pretty sure you love your Vita too and love how powerful it is. But Sony would rather that everyone loves the Vita like Nintendo DS/iPhone.

The mass market won't be buying a $599 console when they can get the "super cool iPad that has a lot of lifestyle applications and does so much" for just $499. PlayStation 3 (at launch, before the rebranding) and PlayStation Vita did not set the market on fire despite being significantly more powerful than the competition. And I hope that the PlayStation 4, unlike the Vita, has a target audience.

exactly

the paradigm has shifted from 2006

if you look at the emerging patterns from pop culture

today is cool to be geek

but that does not mean understanding specs and noticing differences in Antialiasing

it has everything to do with apsapsapsapsapsaps and doing mundane things electronically (which, come to think of it is the definition of aps that the general public is consuming like crazy) and that has to be the framework of these nextgen consoles. You already see the changes in XBL and PSN in the last 3 years

we all know videogames are closer to art than mundane (albeit a couple of ones really mundane) but the xfactor like the DVD ROM was to the PS2 (face it, that was the reason for mass market appeal) for these consoles will have be something not gaming related

So the paradigm for consoles will have to be 399 state of the art machine that does the same things as the iPad and more, and cheaper. Oh, and at least as "cooler"

If that is not the thought process of these execs we could be seeing the definition of console that all of us are projecting from these specs be a totally different one in the generation of PS5 and XBOX1440. Simply because they will not make enough money from the general public in this coming gen

Foxix Von

PSY・S;46703772 said:
"No one knows definitely when Microsoft and Sony will UNVEIL their successors to the current Xbox and PlayStation, but Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai has said that it will let Microsoft make the first move.

In the Business section of The Times today, Hirai said, "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?""

Unveil first, guys, UNVEIL. NOT LAUNCH FIRST.

I was just going to post this. I agree with you though that this is most likely how the quote is meant to be taken.

I wonder why some people care so much whether sony releases first or last. I mean if you are going to get the next xbox why should you care what sony does or does not.

After hearing alot of rumours of sony having an underpowered console it's nice to hear that some folks at sony do care about powerful hardware specs.

I hope sony goes all out and give us a machine that makes the ps3 look like a nintendo wii. such a machine would last till 2022 no doubt

Looking at sony xperia z phone it looks like the engineers at sony still have their clout at sony. Very pleased with that

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Somehow, it feels that MS has more potential to make their stuff "standard" than Sony.

If push comes to shove, Sony cannot match MS, no financially speaking.
Sure, shareholders schmearholders.. but in order to establish a hardware, MS is better suited due to their bigger war chest.

It will be interesting.. :)

shira

PSY・S;46703772 said:
"No one knows definitely when Microsoft and Sony will UNVEIL their successors to the current Xbox and PlayStation, but Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai has said that it will let Microsoft make the first move.

In the Business section of The Times today, Hirai said, "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?""

Unveil first, guys, UNVEIL. NOT LAUNCH FIRST.

So they going to revise their specs based on MS specs. LOL.

That would be the oneup

Not sure why some people are taking it the wrong way.

Kaz is simply stating the obvious. This is just a business tactic.

Correct. I didn't believe these rumours that Sony were going to reveal the PS4 in the next few weeks, they have no need to at this stage. I think they will reveal in the run up to E3, maybe a month before it.

Wow, a lot of people here taking liberties with the statments (shocking, right?). All i read into it was that they wont be first to show off what they have to offer.

One, im going to assume they mean MS since nintendo already released their new console. Seconldy, my personal opinion is that Kaz means announcement. MS will show off their system with a big announcement. You dont want to be trumped. Samsung showed off new phine last year because they wanted to get a jump on apple because the galaxy s3 was less known. Say what you will, but sony still has a better known console world wide than MS. So if MS has a new system, and lets assume it looks good, sony will want/need to trump that. This is all speculation on part, but they didnt mentiom anything about release, etc. I think they will just announce after MS and sony will still follow their planned release (probably end of 2013)

Also, i think itll be a bit begore E3. Sony has a habit of announcing things before e3. I can see them announcing the console, specs and 1 or 2 titles and an onslaught of titles at e3

So they going to revise their specs based on MS specs. LOL.

That would be the oneup

What Kaz actually says is "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"

Sounds to me like he doesn't want his competitors to see the PS4 specs before they show theirs.

Makonero

But it's currently out. It's not coming next.

(I get that you're trying to say it's 8th gen, but it's also not incorrect to say it's current gen, it would be wrong to say next gen since it's not upcoming, it's already here. The other person didn't say 8th generation, (s)he just said current)

So is the next Xbox/Playstation current gen then? Since WiiU has already kicked it off?

Kyon

Banned

But but ;__;

I know
52b0f867.gif

I'm just saying what I want. I don't care about price ill throw my money at it anyway because I know Sony will have the powerful hardware next gen

Meelow

Banned
Guys, at least this won't happen...

GDC 2013 = Sony: "We will let Microsoft announce next Xbox"
E3 2013 = Microsoft: "We will let Sony announce PS4 first"
TGS 2013= Sony: "Since Microsoft is not at TGS we won't announce PS4"

So on and so on.

2018: Nintendo: "Nintendo announces Nintendo 7"
2019: Sony and Microsoft finally announce PS4 and Xbox 720

But this is an interesting move Sony is doing.

But but ;__;

I know
52b0f867.gif

I'm just saying what I want. I don't care about price ill throw my money at it anyway because I know Sony will have the powerful hardware next gen

Don't cry - fortunately for you, engineers run Sony and not executives. :)

Unless Kaz was serious about his "It's my company. You do what I tell you to or you're fired," stance.

I don't want to sound like an ass, but I don't think Sony has their shit together anymore like MS does.

Sony will not dual release, because
1) They are no where near ready.
2) They would get killed head to head.

It is my belief that MS would be fully prepared for a November release. Sony would not.

The handling of the Vita finally crushed my hopes of Sony being relevant in the gaming world. In one generation, MS vaulted past them, and its not even as close as some would suggest.

Afrikan

I don't want to sound like an ass, but I don't think Sony has their shit together anymore like MS does.

hahahahaha

are we back to the U.S. = World thing again?

Microsoft had an 8 mill head start last gen...with a year of no competition.

I think they both will release about a Month apart.

Wynnebeck

Banned

It is my belief that MS would be fully prepared for a November release. Sony would not.

The handling of the Vita finally crushed my hopes of Sony being relevant in the gaming world. In one generation, MS vaulted past them, and its not even as close as some would suggest.

This would be a valid reason to worry if it actually had some basis behind it other than being not ready and "get killed head to head." Vita's situation isn't analogous to the potential unveiling and release of the PS4 as the two markets and their position in this economy are very different. Sony is going to be fine.

Top Bottom