• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz Hirai: We will let Microsoft make the first move

Hindle

Banned
Assuming they launch in 2014 then MS would have had a full year to themselves. Not to mention they will be launching thier first big first party game, the equivalent of Gears in 2006.

There's a couple of other more general, interesting notes in the article. Hirai talks openly about replacing everyone in senior management when he came, except for two people. 'Where I come from, either you play under my rules or you are not playing. That's why reassignments happen. Everybody plays nicely together now because they all understand what the rules are". The report also says that he apparently demands to see almost every product the company makes, unboxed, so he can experience it as a customer does, and sends products back if he's not happy with them.

I said before that Sony needed maybe a little bit of a dictator to just come in and order things to be done, and maybe he is that person...

Dude sounds ruthless lol.

There's a couple of other more general, interesting notes in the article. Hirai talks openly about replacing everyone in senior management when he came, except for two people. 'Where I come from, either you play under my rules or you are not playing. That's why reassignments happen. Everybody plays nicely together now because they all understand what the rules are". The report also says that he apparently demands to see almost every product the company makes, unboxed, so he can experience it as a customer does, and sends products back if he's not happy with them.

I said before that Sony needed maybe a little bit of a dictator to just come in and order things to be done, and maybe he is that person...

This is what Sony should have done long ago .
Kaz has the right idea play by my rules or leave to much in fighting really hurt Sony time for that to done .

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I dunno,this "2nd move advantage" jutsu didn't help Kaz Hirai much with Vita at all, because in the end it's not really about the specs and features of the system but the games and that what Sony fail at,I hope Kaz know that because PS4 will be his (and Sony) last chance.

LAMBO

anyone have that awesome xbox "welcome to the family" jpg with the alien looking people with the green eyes?

snap0212

Really Kaz??

So, the Move was just something completely original, and not taken from the Wiimote?

Rumors suggesting that the PS4 will move away from the DS and over to something with a tablet screen in it? Oh, like the WiiU Gamepad?

Come on Kaz, be original!!
I don't have a WiiU but isn't the GamePad feature just an improved version of Remote Play basically? They obviously added things but the basic idea is streaming pictures created on a console to another, portable device, and that's what Remote Play has been doing for many years.

Hirai will watch XBOX720 announcement live on TV with an open Playtation 4 in front of him, he will have a 4GB RAM stick in his left hand and a 8GB RAM stick in his right hand, which one of those 2 will he put in the opened console will depend entirely on what Microsoft says in their Press Conference.
Hirai will then proceed to close the Ps4 box while screaming "it's ready, ship it ship it!!!"

Kyon

Banned
I don't have a WiiU but isn't the GamePad feature just an improved version of Remote Play basically? They obviously added things but the basic idea is streaming pictures created on a console to another, portable device, and that's what Remote Play has been doing for many years.

Basically yes

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I tried to find the original article, because I really want to see in what context was the question asked ... but you need to be a subscriber to view the full article.

In any case, Sony being last to announce their console might help them out in terms of adjusting some of their announcements, price, SKUs, etc - based on what Microsoft is doing. That being said, if they went first they'd be able to get some momentum early to get people attracted to their machine. The year head start helped Microsoft this generation, Sony can replicate the same.

Hirai will watch XBOX720 announcement live on TV with an open Playtation 4 in front of him, he will have a 4GB RAM stick in his left hand and a 8GB RAM stick in his right hand, which one of those 2 will he put in the opened console will depend entirely on what Microsoft says in their Press Conference.
Hirai will then proceed to close the Ps4 box while screaming "it's ready, ship it ship it!!!"

This post is gold.

TheExodu5

Banned
Honestly, as long as they go with a standard architecture, Kaz is right on the money. I'm sure they have a lot of design variations floating internally, so responding would not take very long.

In the Business section of The Times today, Hirai said, "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"

They plan to add something based on Durango's specs? 2015 motherfuckers.

Raoh

Its a game of chicken... winner takes all...

20120526_WBP502.jpg

"We are tired of introducing new ideas and technology only for our competition to rip us off."

Fixed

Racer30

Did anybody actually read whats been said?

He is afraid of Microsoft copying them/Sony.....we all know thats what Microsoft does.

FrankT

Assuming they launch in 2014 then MS would have had a full year to themselves. Not to mention they will be launching thier first big first party game, the equivalent of Gears in 2006.

I really do not think they want that to happen again. At least not a full year.

Somes like someone is trying to soften the news that they're not as far along as they'd like to be....

Maybe, the dev talk has been pretty silent so far.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Somes like someone is trying to soften the news that they're not as far along as they'd like to be....

Raoh

tumblr_m4m4o5djWg1qh2a1qo1_r2_500.gif

Should have been the first post.

Kyon

Banned
Isn't that just an excuse? They saw the Wii gaining a lot of popular attention, and threw in motion controls to try and steal the spotlight.

No it's not an excuse. Sony showed of Move first. Don't matter who released it first. That's like if Sony released Trophies before MS after they showed off achievements. No one would say Sony created them first. Nintendo is not exactly the zenith of originality like some people like to make them out to be. No company is.

Shtof

I think if he really wanted MS to make the first move, he wouldn't have said it like that. It's more of trick I believe.

pelican

Who really knows what this means.

I seriously doubt delaying an unveil would give any party time to alter specifications of their machines. I don't think this will be a repeat of Sega and the Saturn.

At this level of high business I would be honestly surprised if both camps don't have solid information on what the other is intending to do/launch. There is too much money at stake to be completely blind of the competition.

Nestunt

Shouldnt Sony and MS both already know what the other is going to have?

I mean its not hard to see someone like Epic having both dev kits before ANYONE and Microsoft using there relationship with Epic to get a peak of the PS4.

I am sure sony could do the same with some other studio.

even if this is not true

I reafirm, these "announcement" strategies are always about the perception the general public has to your brand and your nemesis brand

hence, general public do not care about specs, if what they see in the tv is similar they care about their wallets

this part (announcements, dates, marketing strategies etc.) of the global product that is PS4 or XBOX720 is not thought for hardcore gamers

look at apple. their hardcore consumers buy their products even if they "announce" in the previous day of launch

the same for gaming consoles

this type of rhetoric from Kaz is typical business side m.o. or b.s. as you prefer =P

Top Bottom