• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS System Update Live (Streetpass DLC games, digital game save backups)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Seems to work well enough. Backed everything I could just cause.

Link N' Launch doesnt work so I assume it's the same with any DSi game

Backing 3D Land reminded me that I shouldnt since a friend of mine dicked around with my file and got white tanooki Mario to appear on the main campaign, thus I can't achieve the sparkly profile thing..

.. im so gonna play all over that game again just to get that.

...really?

3D Land is the last game I would care about any form of achievement. Enjoy the ride man!

IrishNinja

I hope Nintendo will increase the daily limit for earning coins.
10 coins per day is not enough for ppl who want to play castle

yeah, i made peace with it, but when i was backpacking id sometimes put nearly 10x that amount in one day, shit killed me, haha

Salsa

...really?

3D Land is the last game I would care about any form of achievement. Enjoy the ride man!

nah, game's so good you gotta get all you can from it.

I alreayed played through it both mario and luigi so there's nothing left to do but to play it all over again :p

Spierek

Got the Xenoblade puzzle. I'm going to buy all 4 of those new games, if the Plaza will finally allow me to update. I keep getting the "can't connect to eShop" errors :|

There's a little left arrow now on the bottom of the bottom screen of the 3DS Home Menu. Press on it and you can create a backup save.

Can't back up my MH3U save, nor the Shadow Wars save. Damn.

Any time I try to go to the shop, it's just resetting on me. =/ Hoping that'll get fixed sometime tonight. Is it just us Aussies still experiencing that?

Spierek

Alright, I bought them, though I'm having some problems with downloading the combo pack data.

Holy shit, Streetpass works much, much faster now. 60FPS, even.

eXistor

Well it crashed trying to go to the Streetpass Squad thing. I never had my 3DS crash on me. The plaza runs a LOT smoother now btw, little slowdown.

/edit: yup, crashes every time I try.

Still borked. Hopefully it is just a problem on Nintendo's end in PAL regions and not something requiring another update.
Nah, I think it's a problem which needs an update. Mine crashes when I cycle through the people in my plaza, not just when I connect to the web.

Spierek

Bought all of them. Now I just need to grab some Streetpasses to check out these games. Anyone knows whether Streetpassing one person gives you one "credit" for each game, or do you have to pick a specific game where you'll use that Mii?

amrum

I have the same problem in Europe.

I'm in Europe & i've got no problems with the update but i updated the console through the system settings first maybe you should try... (or even erase the Mii Plaza update, update the console through the system settings first & re-download the Mii Plaza update)

This update is crazy. Why wasn't this mentioned at E3? Nintendo continues to baffle me.

Also, backing up VC saves? Future vc save transfer with Wii U coming? For real, I'm pretty darn shocked about Nintendo doing cloud stuff.

wilflare

I hope NoA brings the Streetpass over soon. They really should have universal firmware sheesh

One more reason to #endregionlocking

nikatapi

Probably because they acknowledge that outside of a few cities StreetPass isn't doing that strongly in the West. I'd expect more advertizing when they launch the hotspot thing.

Probably this. It is a cool feature for crowded areas where you can get a lot of streetpass hits, but it doesn't work in less populated areas, or areas with less population density.

Jintor

And those puzzle pieces. So many freaking coins wasted on getting pieces I already have.

What they REALLY need to increase is the number of streetpass folks you can hold 'in stock'. 10 is NOT enough, especially at conventions when it takes like 4 minutes to change them out

hiro4

Okay am I the only one who is annoyed with the Empty space next to Street Pass Quest?
It just stares at me, gloating.

Shahadan

So I updated but it crashes whenever I try to click on the new streetpass games in the menu. Damn you crashing rabbit!

Also I don't understand something, would your save backup stay there when you delete a digital game?

Updating now, and thinking of purchasing those games as I get a lot of street pass hits per week. If only the daily coin limit would be increased!

Ath

Yup, it keeps on crashing for me in the shop as well. Was so hoping for it to give me Xenoblade as my new puzzle, but I got New Super Mario Bros U + New Super Luigi U instead. Oh well. The actual lineup of all the Miis I've met on the main menu seems to run a lot smoother now though.

You get one hat per game as a commemoration for downloading. Each hat is themed on the game.

The opening to StreetPass Squad is cute and the 3D effect is subtle (I had to confirm it was there by closing my eye and adjusting the slider). You seem to get 3 shots with the same set of Miis, in the event of dying. Controls well, but slow speed (but, also the first level). Your score is ranked against other players you StreetPass with. It's fun and the worldstory is fairly detailed for what it is. As expected from Good-Feel it's got a clean graphical style.

Jackano

The only con I have with this update (except the hard crashes that prevent me to buy anything of course) is that Grezzo wasn't working on Majora's Mask 3D.

magnetic

basjdaksj fuck

I get that they want to protect cheating with that thing the game does by checking a save serial or whatever but man, it's much more important to prevent data corruption

it pains my brain how they don't realize this. Losing your save in Animal Crossing is pretty much the worst game to lose a save, ever.

And then some people dont understand why sometimes flashcards are welcomed

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why are they being so protective with the save system? You can't even make a normal, full sd backup copy because it adds some timestamp to it, right? But why does it even matter? You can time-travel like crazy without any (serious) downsides, but you can't back up your saves?

AC is a game you're supposed to play for years. I don't trust a single SD card to not simply get corrupted at some point. I'm very careful with having multiple backups on my work computer, and now we even have to option to backup Nintendo games, but no, not the one game where it matters the most.

By the way, MH3U doesn't have that backup arrow either, at least on my system. The only OTHER game where I'm really worried about losing my data.

EDIT: Other have pointed out the item cheating as a reason, but I mean, really... Not being able to have a backup of my save is terrible. Sony got it right with the PSP years ago!

You get one hat per game as a commemoration for downloading. Each hat is themed on the game. Each game has 'achievements' some of which you get Hat Tickets.

The opening to StreetPass Squad is cute and the 3D effect is subtle (I had to confirm it was there by closing my eye and adjusting the slider). You seem to get 3 shots with the same set of Miis, in the event of dying. Controls well, but slow speed (but, also the first level). It's basically a shmup, with the Miis acting as extra guns. You can rotate them around your 'ship' using L & R buttons while you play. Your score is ranked against other players you StreetPass with. It's fun and the world/story is fairly detailed for what it is. As expected from Good-Feel it's got a clean graphical style.

StreetPass Garden starts off much slower. The game looks really good as it's quite graphically detailed and has a nice overall style and the Miis animate really well. The 3D effect is less subtle than Squad, but still not the strongest I've seen. There are a total of 20 flowers you must collect to become a 'Flower Master'. You get your pick of one of three seeds from which to start your collection. A little like Pokemon I guess. Miis come up and water your seed until it grows into a flower. You can talk to the Miis and have them show you the flowers they have. It's very quaint.

StreetPass Battle has a basic graphic style since there's so many soldiers on screen at once. You choose an option, which I presume relates to your color/armor style, and then your castle. You have 3 choices; Japanese, Western, and Futuristic style castles. You cannot alter your castle type once it is selected.

It's basically paper-scissors-rock, but your army (based on the number of people you've Street Passed with), is divided into Hose-riders, Foot-men with spears, and archers. Horses beat archers, archers beat spears, spears beat horses. The Miis you most recently Street Passed with add more soldiers to your army. Iwata added 10,000 soliders to mine!!

Each round is against another district you're trying to take over. There appear to be 20 to complete. You have to select how to divide your army into the three divisions when you face each region. Presumably, a low-numbered section will not be as effective against a larger section on the opposing team, even if the attack is super effective. You can only use each division once per battle. Some of the soldiers you defeated will join your army too.

You get resources from the regions you conquer that can be used to upgrade your castle, but this also takes away people from your army. Going from Rank 1 to Rank 2 to shrunk my army from 11,700 to about 7,200. This game also has a ranking system.

StreetPass Mansion starts off with a giant hand grabbing you and pulling you inside the mountain. It has a simillar 3D effect to StreetPass Battle. Graphically it is quite well put together and quite spooky. You are told you need to get to the 30th Floor by finding the hidden staircases. You do this by setting 'pieces' that will become corridors, which you will automatically walk down.Pieces are given to you by Street Passed Miis. You can rotate the pieces in 4 directions, like tetris. If you combine two pieces of the same color they will become rooms, not corridors. You then walk through and open up any treasure chests in the room.

When you combine different colored pieces, a door will form. Sometimes, when the door opens, a ghost will attack you. You have a gun to shoot the ghosts with, but there are batteries that must recharge before you can shoot again (you start with three batteries). You can also block the ghosts. Combat is in real time. Your items/weapons get leveled up as you battle.

It's quite fun and seems like it might get tricky. Piece colors are, of course, based on the Mii's colors.

---

Overall, they're pretty good so far. Garden is the worst, but it's charm and laid back nature makes it tolerable at least. It's certainly the least game-y of the 4. Maybe that's the point of it?

The other three are quite fun and Mansion and Squad, in particular, I can see becoming quite challenging. The three of them are certainly more involved than Find Mii ever was just in their introductory stages.

Top Bottom