• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILERS Pokemon Sun/Moon Begins to leak on 4Chan

DNAbro

It's true, yes. You may be able to do a stat multiple times if you have multiple EV training stalls, but depending on what stalls are available probably not worth it.

EV training took a huge step back from Gen VI's hordes.

What do the stalls do exactly? Do they just max out one EV stat?

ffdgh

It's true, yes. You may be able to do a stat multiple times if you have multiple EV training stalls, but depending on what stalls are available probably not worth it.

EV training took a huge step back from Gen VI's hordes.

Gamefreak why.....wish EV wings could be bought in bulk.

On an unrelate note, looks like soul dew has been nerfed to 20% instead of 50%.

EDIT: specifically for Dragon and Psychic attacks only now..

Seil

What do the stalls do exactly? Do they just max out one EV stat?

Doesn't even max it out. I'm not sure exactly how many EVs you get, though. I figure the amount increases with the star rank of the stall, though.

Edit: There's also the Poke Pelago, which has an island that lets you have boxed pokemon "train" to gain exp/EVs over time, but I dunno the efficiency of that either and honestly no chance it'll be as good as battling, which even with the call for help mechanic is a step down from hordes.

So who looks viable atm besides

Toxapex
Salazzle
Pheromosa
maybe Primarina
Pretty much all the tapus are likely viable
Kommo-o might be due to his good boosting moves, probably will be much better if he gets access to move tutor moves like iron head and drain punch
Decidueye might have a lot of utility as a trapper with his signature move plus baton pass forcing your opponent into a bad situation
A bunch of the slow pokemon are likely viable in doubles on a trickroom team
Ribombee might have some usefulness, especially in doubles where it can attack or heal teammates
Alolan Ninetales could be great with hail summoning and aurora veil, especially in doubles
Alolan Raichu might have a niche in doubles on Tapu teams
I could see Kartana being good in OU
Minior has a lot of potential with shell smash
And maybe some others depending on which meta you're talking about

0HMcSVW.png

Might do this for a second preview. As far as this one goes it's the only one I made so far without 3 pokemon sharing the same weakness.

Parfait

You're way off on this. XY and ORAS are both Gen VI games. Games within a generation are always able to interact with each other. ORAS to S&M is like BW/B2W2 to XY/ORAS.

Gen IV had a built in feature for moving stuff up from Gen III, Gen V did the same for Gen IV. But in Gen VI, we had to use Bank to move pokemon up from Gen V. Logically the same would be required for moving from Gen VI to VII.

Edit: This is one of the core purposes of Bank, to facilitate maintaining your collection throughout generations, even in situations where the games couldn't necessarily communicate (say when we move to a different device that can't play 3DS games or interact with 3DSes).

What im saying is that they could have, with utter, absolute ease, tossed that motion out the window and allowed cross gen trading right here. There's no practical reason not to aside from, what seems to be, 'didnt want to lol'.

I get that bank is used for cross gen moving, and that's great. And especially great for future cross-platform trading, since we're not in an era where we need to rely on being next to a person to trade with them or move your pokemon over. But moving up from xyoras to sm shouldn't be an issue whatsoever.

Seil

What im saying is that they could have, with utter, absolute ease, tossed that motion out the window and allowed cross gen trading right here. There's no practical reason not to aside from, what seems to be, 'didnt want to lol'.

I get that bank is used for cross gen moving, and that's great. And especially great for future cross-platform trading, since we're not in an era where we need to rely on being next to a person to trade with them or move your pokemon over. But moving up from xyoras to sm shouldn't be an issue whatsoever.

The data structure for pokemon changes every generation. It has this time too. The pokemon, once sent to Gen VII games, will be converted to the Gen VII structure and not be allowed to be put back into Gen VI games from Bank.

You'd have to make Gen VI games compatible with the Gen VII data structure on top of implementing all of the new pokemon etc, not to mention who knows what all he there is that's different in terms of the engines...

There's no PSS in ORAS, local communication is very different, online communication is very different...

You don't just magically make an older game that's extremely different work flawlessly with a new one.

With that said, they could have implemented an old school transfer feature like we saw in previous gens. This is something that bugs me as well since we aren't getting Bank day 1 to make up for it.

I feel like people are underrating Decidueye. It looks like a really potent support mon. Spinblocker, trapper, defog, baton pass, recovery, uturn, etc. and it's not totally fragile. I could see it complementing a lot of offensive mons.

Puruzi

Banned
I feel like people are underrating Decidueye. It looks like a really potent support mon. Spinblocker, trapper, defog, baton pass, recovery, etc. and it's not totally fragile.

I don't think he'll be garbage or anything but his typing seems like it'd be much better as a speedy attacker. This typing but slow seems kinda bad

I don't think he'll be garbage or anything but his typing seems like it'd be much better as a speedy attacker. This typing but slow seems kinda bad
For sure a sweeper stat distribution would've been better but I still think it has potential, and I feel it'll definitely be the most competitive of the gen VII starters

Seil

I mean, there is pokepelago which lets you automate the whole process, though it might not work as well if you aren't planning to max an ev

That's great when you want to spend possibly many hours (days?) getting one stat maxed and all, but most people usually want to EV train quickly and move on.

Puruzi

Banned
idk this game seems like 10 steps forward and 2 steps back for me.

As a whole it looks godlike but there are just a couple minor annoyances.

idk this game seems like 10 steps forward and 2 steps back for me.

As a whole it looks godlike but there are just a couple minor annoyances.

Twas a Joke. I'm still excited for the game and I love some of the new additions and changes, but some of the removals and decisions(like stats and movepools) are incredibly questionable.

That's great when you want to spend possibly many hours (days?) getting one stat maxed and all, but most people usually want to EV train quickly and move on.
I mean, it has the upside in that you apparently don't need to be playing at all for it to work and I imagine you'll be able to train many, many pokemon at once when it's fully upgraded

Puruzi

Banned
For sure a sweeper stat distribution would've been better but I still think it has potential, and I feel it'll definitely be the most competitive of the gen VII starters

I still feel like that's Primarina but we'll see. Tbh I hope all starters can do something in the meta, sucks when you just have to drop it because it's not good enough when playing competitively

I still feel like that's Primarina but we'll see. Tbh I hope all starters can do something in the meta, sucks when you just have to drop it because it's not good enough when playing competitively
I don't feel primaries will be that good. Only thing it really has going for it is a great typing, but I think there are better pokemon that will fill the same niche and better pokemon with the same type

Seil

I mean, it has the upside in that you apparently don't need to be playing at all for it to work and I imagine you'll be able to train many, many pokemon at once when it's fully upgraded

It's 6 pokemon at lv1, 12 at 2 and 18 at 3.

Yes, that's a lot of pokemon, but usually you ev train then you level up and stuff. You can only train one stat at a time per pokemon, seemingly absurdly slowly. Sure you don't have to be playing, but usually if you're EV training at all you're serious enough to actually want to get it done now, not tomorrow or the next day and move on to finishing the pokemon's training in general.

LProtag

So I don't ever play competitively at all.

How much fun does it look like I'm going to have with this? Does it seem like it's fresh?

Nicely done GF. After you announced rental teams and IV maximizer after level 100 I thought you were finally making the competitive Pokémon viable through a normal gameplay.

But now you remove a mechanic that was already created to make our lives harder!

Puruzi

Banned
I don't feel primaries will be that good. Only thing it really has going for it is a great typing, but I think there are better pokemon that will fill the same niche and better pokemon with the same type

Primarina, Azumaril, and Tapu Fini all do different things really.

Primarina is bulky special offense with excellent coverage, Azumaril is strong as fuck phys attacker, and Tapu Fini is bulky defense.

I think Primarina can do well with its stats and movepool

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Pretty much all the tapus are likely viable
Kommo-o might be due to his good boosting moves, probably will be much better if he gets access to move tutor moves like iron head and drain punch
Decidueye might have a lot of utility as a trapper with his signature move plus baton pass forcing your opponent into a bad situation
A bunch of the slow pokemon are likely viable in doubles on a trickroom team
Ribombee might have some usefulness, especially in doubles where it can attack or heal teammates
Alolan Ninetales could be great with hail summoning and aurora veil, especially in doubles
Alolan Raichu might have a niche in doubles on Tapu teams
I could see Kartana being good in OU
Minior has a lot of potential with shell smash
And maybe some others depending on which meta you're talking about
This sounds good, helped curb some negativity I've been reading lately thanks :D

Ribombee sounds like it could be fun

clemenx

Banned
Why is it so hard for Gamefreak to unify criteria lol?

Do they get features returning from previous gens out of a hat?

Can't say I cared about super training tho. But hordes being gone sucks.

Seil

So I don't ever play competitively at all.

How much fun does it look like I'm going to have with this? Does it seem like it's fresh?

The core game is really solid imo. I found the pacing decent, the story was (very) good for a Pokemon game, enjoyed the characters. The pokemon variety is good, I also rather like the region.

It doesn't feel like there's a ton to the postgame, you have your Battle Tower clone, the Battle Tree. And you have a postgame story arc like we did in XY and ORAS. A few little things here and there like people to battle and whatnot as well. But I'm not gonna say with absolute certainly how much there is to the postgame because I haven't even tackled the postgame storyline yet. But in terms of postgame areas and exploration, doesn't seem to be much.

My biggest complaints about Gen VII are basically linked to stuff like EV training and whatnot. I thoroughly enjoyed it in general.

Primarina, Azumaril, and Tapu Fini all do different things really.

Primarina is bulky special offense with excellent coverage, Azumaril is strong as fuck phys attacker, and Tapu Fini is bulky defense.
The problem is only it's sp def is really good in terms of it's bulk so I don't think it works well as a bulky special attacker, especially with new threats like tapu koko to worry about

Parfait

The data structure for pokemon changes every generation. It has this time too. The pokemon, once sent to Gen VII games, will be converted to the Gen VII structure and not be allowed to be put back into Gen VI games from Bank.

You'd have to make Gen VI games compatible with the Gen VII data structure on top of implementing all of the new pokemon etc, not to mention who knows what all he there is that's different in terms of the engines...

There's no PSS in ORAS, local communication is very different, online communication is very different...

You don't just magically make an older game that's extremely different work flawlessly with a new one.

With that said, they could have implemented an old school transfer feature like we saw in previous gens. This is something that bugs me as well since we aren't getting Bank day 1 to make up for it.

This not only makes sense, but is one of the saddest sentences i've ever heard. Thanks for clearing that up.

No Hordes
No Super Training

lol WTF. Fucking Game Freak continues to be one of the stupidest developers in the world.

Hordes, Triples and Rotation will probably be back next Generation when the Hardware can actually handle it. S/M and Monster Hunter Stories are kinda murdering the poor 3DS as they are.

Puruzi

Banned
The problem is only it's sp def is really good in terms of it's bulk so I don't think it works well as a bulky special attacker, especially with new threats like tapu koko to worry about

That doesn't stop Sylveon from being UU and Primarina literally looks like a better version of it considering that Sylevon's best set is specs.

Tbh the only thing Primarina is competing against is Fini and they aren't trying to do the same thing, It'll for sure be high UU at least and I think it has a shot at OU.

We'll see when gen 7 comp really starts though

so no hordes, no super training, no triples, no rotations, no national dex, no new megas, no dex nav, no move tutors

but hey, there's no hms anymore, and uh some op pokemon got nerfed, and they brought back trainer customisation, and trainers show up in the battle screen now, and it's a fully 3D environment, and it's apparently more challenging now with totems and exp scaling

so no hordes, no super training, no triples, no rotations, no national dex, no new megas, no dex nav, no move tutors

but hey, there's no hms anymore, and uh some op pokemon got nerfed, and they brought back trainer customisation, and trainers show up in the battle screen now, and it's a fully 3D environment, and it's apparently more challenging now with totems and exp scaling
I guess casually the game will be great but competitively, it's definitely a step back.

jelmerjt

Hmm forgot to add a spinner.

Hello Dhelmise.

Gliscor
Mega Altaria
Ferrothorn
Heatran
Toxapex
Dhelmise

Pokemon Bank can't come soon enough xD

Top Bottom