• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOMA |OT| I Have No Mouth but I Will Scream, on The Dark Descent into A Machine

Definitely.
I remember thinking how this guy needs to be acting more scared, but then you combine that nonchalant tone with the fact you're an AI controlling a corpse in a suit, and that tone becomes quite unsettling

I don't know what it is about this specific detail but
the fact that half the corpse's head is missing at an odd angle with the, presumably, 'brain/eye' portion just sort of stuck into that, is supremely disturbing to me and it keeps rolling around in my head.
Nonchalant is the best way of putting it, the way they discuss this revelation actually turned out to be very much enhanced by that.

I also have a question:
So based on the description and scan, I guess Simon's body looks like the corpse you find sitting near the Delta zeppelin landing area?? Didn't put the two together until just now.

As you can tell by my previous post, I wasn't sold at all prior to this whole segment but it's starting to feel very haunting.

The game apparently glitches with boost mode turned on, so that might explain the issue you were describing, not sure though.

I should've clarified, I'm playing on Base PS4. Thanks for the tip though anyway.

And yet another edit...that fucking weird blue screen bug has come back twice now and killed the game for me and I was REALLY getting into it. Posted to Frictional about it and it seems I'm gladly not the only one having this issue. Either way, I'm pissed off as I've been lucky enough to never have a game flat-out break on me like this in my entire gaming career before.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Holy shit you guys .. Soma is a HELL of a game. So tense and unnerving. It out Bioshocked Bioshock in terms of deep sea atmosphere.

Playing it on PS4 Pro with boost mode on, after the recent patches, the game runs like a dream. Rock solid 30 FPS and on an SSD the load times are quick and snappy.

I'm sure I'm right near the end.
The entire treck to the Tau station is some of the most nerve wracking gaming moments I've ever faced. Not helped by me mistaking the bulb of an angel fish for a lamp and running right into it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't think this deserves a new thread but is there a Wuss Mode in the PS4 version? :p

Minamu

I got stuck on some new monster inside a ship or something after traversing the sea floor for a while. It walked through hallways under water and could look in all directions at the same time I think. I got super stuck and dismissed the game as a buggy mess. Can someone help me? :) It was just a few hours, if that, into the game.

I got stuck on some new monster inside a ship or something after traversing the sea floor for a while. It walked through hallways under water and could look in all directions at the same time I think. I got super stuck and dismissed the game as a buggy mess. Can someone help me? :) It was just a few hours, if that, into the game.

I think that was the monster that doesn't attack you if you don't look at it directly. Is this the spot?

https://youtu.be/Z7ILlfiewqA

If it is, just watch the walkthrough for directions on where to head to next. If monsters are giving you trouble and you're playing on PC there's a mod that makes monsters neutral to you.

PFD

You have to pretty much run past this fucker, don't stall and try to play it safe

Stick with the game, the payoff is great, especially towards the latter half

Minamu

I think that was the monster that doesn't attack you if you don't look at it directly. Is this the spot?

https://youtu.be/Z7ILlfiewqA

If it is, just watch the walkthrough for directions on where to head to next. If monsters are giving you trouble and you're playing on PC there's a mod that makes monsters neutral to you.
YES, thank you, that's the right monster. To me, it felt like he gltiched out and killed no regardless of where I was :/ I'm on PS4 but I'll give it a shot some time.

You have to pretty much run past this fucker, don't stall and try to play it safe

Stick with the game, the payoff is great, especially towards the latter half
I never made it very far though, right, so there's a long ways to go? I liked what I had played so far.

YES, thank you, that's the right monster. To me, it felt like he gltiched out and killed no regardless of where I was :/ I'm on PS4 but I'll give it a shot some time.

It's not a glitch, that's its normal behavior. There's still a lot of game left and it is worth it to continue.

Finally picked this up for 9 bucks from the PSN sale and have been loving it! I should have known playing the amnesia games, but these guys really have a way of punching above their weight in the graphics department!

Really enjoying the story, the scary moments, and the visuals are really nice for a game from a smaller team

mf.luder

Picked this up and played it over the course of the previous 3 mornings. Really enjoyed it but didn't find it scary. Some moments were spooky due to the sound effects but I think I was expecting more.

Loved the game and it gave me Dead Space 1 vibes.

Syf

Banned
Finished playing this again earlier tonight. I'm now certain I'd put the game in my top 10. It's excellent storytelling and immersion with a good bit of horror, some genuinely unsettling moments in the plot, and that ending.. Frictional made a gem here. My favorite game of its type. Highly recommend to anyone with an interest in sci-fi horror.

O.DOGG

Finished playing this again earlier tonight. I'm now certain I'd put the game in my top 10. It's excellent storytelling and immersion with a good bit of horror, some genuinely unsettling moments in the plot, and that ending.. Frictional made a gem here. My favorite game of its type. Highly recommend to anyone with an interest in sci-fi horror.

Yup, the game is in my top 10 games as well. An incredibly strong experience, unlike any other game.

Just finished this, I found it slightly too long but the story really gripped me, and had some great horror moments as you'd expect from Frictional. Saw the ending coming too but it still made an impact.

Gaplanet

Sooo SOMA is apparently finally coming to Xbox One. Is it worth playing if I know some of the bigger story points already?
You are a robot yourself and a comet hit the Earth etc...?

Guys am I going crazy.... I'm stuck on... the first room. The medicine is no where? I've trashed the apartment lol.

Off the top of my head it can be either in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom, or in one of the cabinets in the kitchen.

It's in a random location. Check all cabinets and drawers.

Edit: I'm now seeing people reporting that they've opened everything and still couldn't find it, but found it easily if they started a new game.

Just do that if you've literally opened everything. Hopefully the randomness will be nicer the second time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sooo SOMA is apparently finally coming to Xbox One. Is it worth playing if I know some of the bigger story points already?
That's just the tip of the iceberg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Isn't it in the fridge? I might remember wrong, but I think it needs to be refrigerated.

Yeah its somewhere in the apartment, i think the position changes each time but check everything including all the cabinets above the fridge and even in the bathroom.

I was thinking about this game again recently and boy does it stick with you. We need more of these hard Scifi.
While the story is excellent I find the hide and seek gameplay extremely boring and annoying. So much could have been done to make the gameplay more interesting. I agree with Joseph Anderson's take on Soma.

PFD

You find that out in like the first hour of the game

Definitely play this.

MaKTaiL

He's probably talking about the XONE version.

Speaking of SOMA I'm actually surprised how cheap it is in the PS4's Halloween sale. Great deal if some of you haven't played it yet (day 1 buyer here and no regrets :)).

Discount is not available for PSN US though. I have a friend that is just waiting for a good discount to buy it.

Gaplanet

1st of December for us Xbox One players. SOMA will also get a new safe mode where the monsters can't kill you! Great if you just want to experience the story. Safe mode will come as a free patch for pc/ps4 (is already in the Xbox version).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
TDD OT is locked so here ya go:

Fingers crossed for an awesome VR mod to surface, the game's already had very suitable mechanics and physics for hand interactions to replace them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom