• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOMA |OT| I Have No Mouth but I Will Scream, on The Dark Descent into A Machine

hN9vfcq.jpg

NzZYj5s.jpg

MfIO336.jpg

HDVqslU.jpg

Fb6ex8S.jpg

1XXONMp.png

1XXONMp.png

tVAze8J.png

j4EoShh.png
chexuiH.png

kvTD2wU.png
mstbCRY.png

fz62kdr.png
kILxCEN.png

75SDDUN.png
3qHbIKn.png

InTuT3P.png
yepg13Z.png

KwmVec5.png

2zg5Xw4.png

kH0YJj0.png

fR2yZ9Q.jpg

DasJrur.png

Questions & answers collected from Frictional AMA here
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How linear is the exploration in SOMA?
The game is divided into levels. Some are fairly small and linear and others are huge and sprawling, the size of hub + connected levels in our previous games. The structure is very similar to our previous game, the main difference being you cannot go back n forth between levels. But that is made up for by making certain levels much, much bigger than we have previously had.

How is SOMA's pacing (e.g. as compared with TDD's)?
The game doesn't start out as scary and oppressive as TDD, but builds towards it over a longer period. There are also longer moments of exploration (if you want to, much is optional). They have a sort of similar "feel" in their pacing though. Puzzle -> dangerous area -> calm exploration -> etc. Another difference is that SOMA is much more varied, each area has something new about it

Does the game have an inventory?
A simplified one. It is not like in Amnesia. SOMA lack resources and inventory management, but make up for it in other ways (like more things in the environment that fill similar purposes).

1) How many play styles will there be beside stealth and run?
2) Can Simon disable creatures in some way?

1) The biggest thing with encounters is not just about figuring out "hide or run?", but to understand how they work. Cannot go into more details without spoiling.
2) In some cases you can use the environment to your advantage, but you won't be going on any killing sprees.

I see that many of the doors are the mechanical/sliding type. Will it be possible to lock these doors, and if so, what should we look for in order to do so?
Yes, but not all doors can be locked behind you. Though there are definitely sections in the game where it's a good idea to do so depending on your play style.

Will you be able to throw boxes on enemies?
Yeah, but it often not wise to do so

How detailed is the marine wildlife?
We have almost 25 different animals that you can find. Some harder than other. Some dangerous, some not.

Is there more than one ending to the game?
Afraid, cannot answer that either. But can confirm that game doesn't have any major branching. Just more local changes, although some choices are effects later on.

How do you save the game?
There will be Save and Exit and then I wanna be vague about the other stuff

What do you think is the biggest improvement about SOMA compared to the last games?
Production values (sound, writing, art, voice overs, music, tech-wise, everything!), narrative delivery and bringing forward the central themes in a much better fashion.

What is it you hope to hear most from the players and what kind of experiences are you excited for them to be talking about?
To discuss the themes in a deeper fashion. While I love hearing how people shat their pants and stuff like that, would be bummed out if nobody got really unnerved by the subjects that SOMA discuss.

How advanced will be Modding for SOMA? Will you be able to create custom stories only or even more than that. For example textures, models, animations or even gameplay effects?
You should be able to mod just about anything. You can even make a mod that changes the shaders that the game uses! You can just drop any files you want into the mod dir and it will replace the ones the main game uses.

Does "No VR at launch" imply that VR might come later?
VR would be fun to do at some point. As with so many other things, it will depend on how successful SOMA is. Would be fun to add VR support just so people can make VR mods, but have to see how much time we have and what the team feels like

Depending on the success of SOMA on console, have you given thought to making and releasing a Remaster of Amnesia: The Dark Descent and A Machine for Pigs?
We will look into it after release!

Will the film [Depth] be released along with the game on the 22nd?

1XXONMp.png

1XXONMp.png

1XXONMp.png

0rkIf1u.png

This may sound weird but do you have to avoid sharks? Because I have a major phobia of them, especially in games (hunting them in Far Cry 3 just about has me hyper ventilating).

Can't recommend this game enough for hardcore horror fans, and also to those who are iffy and think they may not be able to beat it. I'm a scaredy cat and I managed to pull through. I wanna read your impressions already! The story and themes will open many a can of worms. :)

Really pleased this turned out well. This gen has been amazing for horror. I'm okay if the game isn't viscerally terrifying if it has a suitably disturbing story. Bloodborne wasn't scary to play, but the narrative lingered and festered in my brain for quite a while, which is equally valuable for a horror experience.

Karak

Though I wasn't at all impressed with it, I always like to see a title that people get excited about. Interested in hearing peoples tales of mind terror.

rdytoroll

I love atmospheric, story-driven games. This setting reminds of Bioshock which I love. I'm a big wuss though when it comes to Horror games, but maybe I can power through just so I can experience the story.

Will this be coming out at midnight on PSN? I'm in Europe

Preload completed. New pack of underwear purchased. Bring it on!

How many GB is it?

Atwa

Banned
Well I want to see the people that hate A Machine for Pigs on this, as Thomas has said, and reviewers say. This game is MUCH more like that than The Dark Descent. As in, its a story focused game as much about psychological horror. Not outright scaring the hell out of you like The Dark Descent.

Not PDP bait in other words.

I love atmospheric, story-driven games. This setting reminds of Bioshock which I love. I'm a big wuss though when it comes to Horror games, but maybe I can power through just so I can experience the story.

How many GB is it?

on their twitter they said it should be out on midnight in every region on PS4

Yeah, the devs tweeted it will be on at midnight. On phone so I'm not going to go look for the tweet.

And I am exactly in the same situation, very into the game but worried if I can handle it.

Well I want to see the people that hate A Machine for Pigs on this, as Thomas has said, and reviewers say. This game is MUCH more like that than The Dark Descent. As in, its a story focused game as much about psychological horror. Not outright scaring the hell out of you like The Dark Descent.

Not PDP bait in other words.

The end of A Machine for Pigs still haunts me. What a climax.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This game looks incredibly good, and from the reviews, it seems like it turned out pretty damn well. Guess I'll pick it up.

Top Bottom