• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Analyst's Prediction: PS4 Slim to be announced in addition to the PS4 Neo at TGS

physical games are only loud when they're installing. Once the game is fully installed it should run exactly the same as digital

My PS4 only goes crazy with games that run with unlocked framerates, e.g. Assassins Credd Unity Menu and Rocket League.

This should be an interesting TGS.

If this is true, I hope it ends up being more like OG PS3 to PS3 slim. I hated the design of the super slim, it just felt cheap.

xl_PS3_PS3_Slim_PS3_Superslim_.jpg

They already stealth-redesigned the PS4 and included better power/eject buttons. I'm guessing this would primarily focus on size?

Wtf, so it's only OK to you if Sony does it?

I never said it was okay for Sony. Don't make stuff up now. I want to believe that PS4 Neo is getting announced this year but if it gets announced along with the PS4 slim then I already admitted the irony of the situation. I think announcing two console versions at the same time is dumb; doesn't change the fact that I am pumped for the Neo.

Some Nobody

Is it possible to get this to a PS2 slim size?

That's what a system without a hard drive can look like. Only way any system ever gets that tiny again is an advance in technology that replaces HDDS, and/or going full digital and there's a removal of the disk drive.

I'd love it, though. PS2 was how you do a slim model.

Xav

I would hate to be Nintendo right now. Hard to judge what exactly you'll be competing against with the NX.

geordiemp

Negative.

1. hdd omission would save 10 buck on bom.
2. getting an ext hdd is an extra step that a huge amount of consumers wont take.
3. deciding which 3rd party one is actually another step.
4. no money made by sony on 3rd party hdd.
5. hdd-less system limits the amount of digital products the consumer can get.

BUT I have a 2 TB hard drive day 1 ps4 and it was full about 8 months ago. Having to delete stuff and redownload it.

Also does not encourage me to buy digital anymore.

Also 2 TB is max sizer you can fit in a ps4 with 9.5 mm space.

So, Sony need to either make more space for a 4 TB hard drive or allow an external hard drive. Also Sata 3 would be nice in Neo

Neo $ 499 with Beefed up CPU, Memory, 4.5 TF and SATA 3 bigger box
Ps4 slim $ 299

cooldawn

I've been waiting for Sony to get a 1TB or 2TB PS4 out there since the last revision but this news might mean it actually happens.

500GB's is not enough.

Bl@de

Add $100 to Neo imo.

I definitely buy Neo being revealed at TGS. PS4 Slim, sure, why not.

Doubt it. The 399€ price point was very good for the PS4. Three years later you can sell it at this price again for an improved version. Something that didn't happen past generations, More money with little R&D effort. 499€ would be too much for many people who would upgrade otherwise (basically buying two PS4s this way) and a possibility to get more money from new customers (buying the Neo instead of the basic edition). I would be surprised if it's 499€ (which would be a bad decision from Sony).

ethomaz

Banned
Both announced the same day?

Sony does what Microsoft does.
Really the same.

Slim & Neo on retail next week to you choose what to buy...

vs.

Slim & Scorpio on retail in August & Holiday 2017 respectively where you don't have choice or even knows what to buy.

Crayon

BUT I have a 2 TB hard drive day 1 ps4 and it was full about 8 months ago. Having to delete stuff and redownload it.

Also does not encourage me to buy digital anymore.

Also 2 TB is max sizer you can fit in a ps4 with 9.5 mm space.

So, Sony need to either make more space for a 4 TB hard drive or allow an external hard drive.

Also Sata 3 would be nice in Neo

I'd say if you already stacked a 2tb drive, Sony is already pretty happy with you. We are probably in the upper reaches of customers when it comes to storage demands. And we know how to work around it anyhow.

But we are not a mirror image of the other end of the scale where someone would buy this and be surprised they need to go back to the store and lay out another 40 bucks for some random computer drive the first time they buy a game on the store. That would affect many more people and in a very different way than us running out of room.

Dinjooh

I never said it was okay for Sony. Don't make stuff up now. I want to believe that PS4 Neo is getting announced this year but if it gets announced along with the PS4 slim then I already admitted the irony of the situation. I think announcing two console versions at the same time is dumb; doesn't change the fact that I am pumped for the Neo.

I don't see the big issue in announcing two SKUs at the same event. They're clearly for different market segments, and I'm certain they'll focus on that while presenting them.

Just like it wasn't dumb announcing the Surface Book right after Surface Pro 4, or how Apple announced iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 at the same event. Different market segments.

Rembrandt

Banned
Really the same.

Slim & Neo on retail next week to you choose what to buy...

vs.

Slim & Scorpio on retail in August & Holiday 2017 respectively where you don't have choice or even knows what to buy.

How don't you have a choice or know what to buy? Its literally the same thing just with distance placed between them.

cakely

I thought Sony reads GAF and knows what the people want? It's "dumb" to do this and will leave the Neo dead in the water.

Wow, you really managed to concentrate some bitterness into that one sentence.

This isn't an announcement. It's not even a real rumor, it's just one analyst's prediction. Save some of that angst for the actual slim announcement if it ever comes to pass.

If this is true, I hope it ends up being more like OG PS3 to PS3 slim. I hated the design of the super slim, it just felt cheap.

xl_PS3_PS3_Slim_PS3_Superslim_.jpg

They already stealth-redesigned the PS4 and included better power/eject buttons. I'm guessing this would primarily focus on size?

OG PS3 was so great; it just felt premium. I was sad when mine died and they replaced it with that cheap slim.

Rembrandt

Banned
Wow, you really managed to concentrate some bitterness into that one sentence.

This isn't an announcement. It's not even a real rumor, it's just one analyst's prediction. Save some of that angst for the actual slim announcement if it ever comes to pass.

All I had to do was copy and paste things from earlier this month.

I thought it was funny. I'm enlightened by the rumor.

Crayon

How don't you have a choice or know what to buy? Its literally the same thing just with distance placed between them.

A week ago, the relation of the xbone s to the scorpio was finally "made crystal clear" in a rambling transcript of part of a giant bomb interview.

Let's see how sony manages to deliver the message and note any differences in our copybooks.

Servbot24

Banned
2 new versions is good. Presumably PS4 slim will be cheaper to manufacture than regular PS4, allowing a price cut to differentiate it further from Neo. Nobody loses.

Sony offers two options that'll lead to immediate sales. MS offers one console in August and the next one Christmas 2017. Choosing the latter delays sales and can set the company back further. So...not the same at all.

Rembrandt

Banned
A week ago, the relation of the xbone s to the scorpio was finally "made crystal clear" in a rambling transcript of part of a giant bomb interview.

Let's see how sony manages to deliver the message and note any differences in our copybooks.

It was made crystal clear in the announcement where they stated the power difference between the two, though.

Sony offers two options that'll lead to immediate sales. MS offers one console in August and the next one Christmas 2017. Choosing the latter delays sales and can set the company back further. So...not the same at all.

If you honestly think people will wait out games they want for another year, sure it could set them back further. Won't it be the cheapest 4K player out, too? I doubt it'll be an issue

geordiemp

But we are not a mirror image of the other end of the scale where someone would buy this and be surprised they need to go back to the store and lay out another 40 bucks for some random computer drive the first time they buy a game on the store. That would affect many more people and in a very different way than us running out of room.

Oh of course, Ps4 slim should have at least 500 GB. No reason not to.

I am talking about Neo, where most users will be enthusiasts, hence most will have had their Ps4 for close to 3 years, and being enthusiasts will have a shit load of digital games.

Sony for Neo really needs to allow 4 TB hard drives easily - in fact they should just ship the thing at $ 450 and let you pt your own SATA 3 in.

Bit silly not allowing room for digital purchases for power buyers.

If they announce a Slim this close to the Neo, that would just be sending the Slim out to die.

Right?

I don't think so. There's a good chance that Sony wouldn't be releasing a slim PS4 just to have another SKU, it's probably cheaper to produce. A slim PS4 SKU would more than likely replace the current model once old stock was filtered out.

Though we're all super into games here, we don't always represent the larger consumer base. There's probably a large chunk of people who haven't bought a PS4 yet, the OG model will be their console of choice, not the NEO.

Crayon

Oh of course, Ps4 slim should have at least 500 GB. No reason not to.

I am talking about Neo, where most users will be enthusiasts, hence most will have had their Ps4 for close to 3 years, and being enthusiasts will have a shit load of digital games.

Sony for Neo really needs to allow 4 TB hard drives easily - in fact they should just ship the thing at $ 450 and let you pt your own SATA 3 in.

Bit silly not allowing room for digital purchases for power buyers.

I see. I would still keep that 500 minimum even in the neo, tho. I wouldn't want to have anything in the way of that upsell.

So, let me get this straight.

You don't feel that Sony releasing Slim and Neo near the same time would completely kill the Slim, but you feel that Microsoft releasing Slim now and Scorpio next year would totally set them back?

I see.

Dinjooh

You don't feel that Sony releasing Slim and Neo at the same time would completely kill the Slim, but you feel that Microsoft releasing Slim now and Scorpio next year would totally set them back?

I see.

I won't make any predictions whether the S and the Scorpio will eat into each others sales, but it's clearly not the same thing announcing at the same event, launching a year apart, and announcing and launching together.

Crayon

It was made crystal clear in the announcement where they stated the power difference between the two, though.

Negative. The announcement was very teaser-like and left people asking many questions, to which ms representatives gave many answers, some of which conflicting. Then later on, spencer went on giant bomb and spoke at length about what they really meant to say. We were all here last week.

You don't feel that Sony releasing Slim and Neo at the same time would completely kill the Slim, but you feel that Microsoft releasing Slim now and Scorpio next year would totally set them back?

I see.

Nope. The price conscious customer will almost always buy the cheapest option. The slim would sell just fine. It would replace the OG PS4.

As far as the MS setback, a delayed sale can lead to a lost sale. MS will be fine, but with the current sales of the console, it wasn't wise to say, hey, you really want this thing we are released year.

Again, most other products have different versions announced simultaneously and released simultaneously, CE have survived this. Consoles can survive this.

Rembrandt

Banned
Negative. The announcement was very teaser-like and left people asking many questions, to which ms representatives gave many answers, some of which conflicting. Then later on, spencer went on giant bomb and spoke at length about what they really meant to say. We were all here last week.

What do you mean negative? They literally said 6TRs in the teaser. That's an obvious difference between the two. They were calling it the most powerful console.

They did an interview to clarify things but there wasn't an confusion between the two consoles.

ethomaz

Banned
So your choice lies in late 2017.

Right MS killed Slim because gamers are unsure about buy it or wait the Scorpio... MS is not selling consoles.

In Sony case they gamer will buy one or another... they will just choose between one of the options... Sony is selling consoles.

I guess it was pretty obvious the way difference approaches.... Sony is doing like iPhone 7 & iPhone 7 Plus releases... MS releasing iPhone 7 in August and iPhone 7 Plus in late 2017.

That argument didn't hold water in any of the Scorpio/Xbox One S threads.

Each company is operating from differ positions in the market. MS is attempting to make inroads because it is currently being outsold nearly 2-1. Anything that can detract from a current sale is not a good idea. Yes, the Scorpio announcement was really more focused at dimming Neo's star, but it could have dampened things for One S as well. We will see

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I'm not buying until next year most likely, when Crash Bandicoot Remastered hits, will need to decide between Slim and Neo.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

You don't feel that Sony releasing Slim and Neo near the same time would completely kill the Slim, but you feel that Microsoft releasing Slim now and Scorpio next year would totally set them back?

I see.
There's a distinct difference in announcing 2 new sku's at the same time that are releasing at least a year apart, and announcing 2 sku's releasing simultaneously. Both the X1 S and PS4 Slim would theoretically both have sales from those not interested in a premium model. The difference comes in when those who may have been motivated to purchase an X1 S after the announcement may now hold off as the premium model is coming. Who knows how much sales will be affected, but there's a good chance they will to some degree.

ethomaz

Banned
That argument didn't hold water in any of the Scorpio/Xbox One S threads.
Maybe because there is no Scorpio at all... it required to have two products to consumers choose the cheaper one.

I see.
Slim and Neo releasing at the same time the consumer will choose one = 1 sale for Sony
Slim and Scorpio releasing one year ahead the consumer will choose one or wait the other = 1 sale for MS or wait a possible sales in late 2017 (losing profit from games and Live sign).

MS has 50% potential of lose one console sales together with profit from games and live sub for at least 1,5 year.

Different cases.

Crayon

What do you mean negative? They literally said 6TRs in the teaser. That's an obvious difference between the two. They were calling it the most powerful console.

They did an interview to clarify things but there wasn't an confusion between the two consoles.

6tf and most powerful console and next year is all they said.

How much will it cost, will it have it's own games, how will the vr solution work,are the cpu and ram rumors true, will the is the one getting left behind on vr.... all this stuff was nebulous and some is still unclear.

Now let's see when sony announces; if they get all this stuff up front and clear, or if they bungle it up the same way.

Top Bottom