• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Analyst's Prediction: PS4 Slim to be announced in addition to the PS4 Neo at TGS

MaulerX

MS did it and it worked out fine.

Big difference being that XB1S launches this August and Scorpio at the end of 2017. If Sony announces PS4S and Neo at the same time with BOTH launching this year (along with PSVR) then that could be a an issue. But what do I know.

How is announcing 2 versions of a console that are being released in the same timeframe even comparable to announcing one that's a couple of months from release and another that is 15+ months away? They aren't the same thing at all. Messaging needs to be clear regarding what the neo vs slim is, but multiple versions of phones are announced all of the time. It isn't rocket science folks

This.

People equating this to Xbox One S + Scorpio and crying SonyGAF are funny.

Exactly what I'm saying.

KingJ2002

cheaper PS4 Slim: $299

PS4K: $399

^^^my bet as well but i'll go even further

3 SKU Tiers in 2017

PS4 Slim - Entry Level - $299.99

PS4 Neo - Mid Level - $399.99

PS4 VR (Neo + PSVR + RIGS) - High Level - $699.99

My thoughts exactly.

The NX Console better be cheap with the PS4 Slim going that low.

My bet is that NX will launch at the 299 sweet spot. Especially if it has power that's in between the PS4 and PS4 Neo.

How is announcing 2 versions of a console that are being released in the same timeframe even comparable to announcing one that's a couple of months from release and another that is 15+ months away? They aren't the same thing at all. Messaging needs to be clear regarding what the neo vs slim is, but multiple versions of phones are announced all of the time. It isn't rocket science folks

Jeels

So, sell PS4 now to gamestop, at announcement, or wait for inevitable "trade in your ps4 towards PS4 Neo"

If that trade deal comes way before the neo actually launches (ie the trade deal is towards a preorder) that means I'll be out of a PS4 for some time...

wachie

This.

People equating this to Xbox One S + Scorpio and crying SonyGAF are funny.

cakely

After reading the actual quote ... it's just from some random analyst. I'm going to discount this.

It's not even a rumor, it's just a far-fetched prediction.

EDIT: Come on guys, this didn't need to devolve into another "SonyGAF" thread. This isn't an appropriate topic to display an ongoing persecution complex in.

Elitist1945

Will buy a Slim AND PS4K. Just to be safe. Wonder how small it can get.

Hope it looks like that Slim 'leak' that happened a while ago. That thing was sexy.

THE:MILKMAN

Key word: Might. Not very convincing.

Also we still don't know that Xbox One S is 14nm. Why this info hasn't been confirmed makes me think it is because it isn't shrunk. Unless some weird NDA is in place?

duhmetree

Big difference being that XB1S launches this August and Scorpio at the end of 2017. If Sony announces PS4S and Neo at the same time with BOTH launching this year (along with PSVR) then that could be a an issue. But what do I know.

Options are never an issue.

Entry point = $299. This will sell a lot of PS4's and open up console gaming to an entirely new market. This will sell gangbusters during holiday 2016, for parents/gamers on a budget.

Premium = $499 ( $399 is not much of a premium, that was the standard PS4 price ) A high-end product for the 'high-end' gamer. A 4K media machine. Not for everyone as it's not intended to be.

Slim might eventually be necessary if Sony is serious about Neo living alongside PS4 for the rest of this 'gen'.

The reduction in manufacturing cost will allow them to drop the price and keep the casual players buying. The Neo can sit as the higher tier model.

Best of both worlds: both profitable and appealing to two types of customers.

DavidDesu

Don't see the point unless the die shrink or whatever going on with the Neo can also be worked down to the regular PS4 Slim, presumably saving Sony money to produce the console. Also if they can get a slimmer console they can always save some on less materials all round and a smaller box allowing them to ship more for the same cost and more units for retailers in the same physical footprint.

I wonder if they could release a PS4 Slim with a 4K UHD player and capabilities just as Microsoft is doing, rather than those features being exclusive to the Neo...?

Who knows, I just want to know more about the Neo and hope it features 1080p60 game recording!

Nictel

Sony plans to ship 20 million units of the PlayStation 4 during the current fiscal year, with momentum likely to be fueled by releases of blockbuster game titles and a high-end version of the console.

Macquarie Securities analyst Damian Thong said Sony might also introduce a slimmer version of the PlayStation. Sony declined to comment on that possibility. The new variations of the console might be released at a game show in September, Mr. Thong said.

Of course Sony would decline to comment. So that is not really news. 20 million units is a lot though, I mean a LOT. It means they expect to sale 50% lifetime sales in a single year.

There is only one way I can see them getting those sales:
Neo @ 349,- and a new slim SKU at 249,-. They would sell the slim with profit and the Neo at cost level. Their biggest profit would be to further damage Microsoft. "Cool you got a 6TF console but we're going to base our games on the (by then) +55 million user base console."

Xbox One S is announced same day as Scorpio... Hahaha let's laugh msoft off the block. Assholes.

Sony rumored to announce PS4 slim and PS4 same day... #BELIEVE

All in all, slim models are a good thing and I could see Sony releasing one. Why do people shit on slims? Especially with incremental upgrades like the One S getting a UHD drive? Surely the PS4 Slim will also get one.

gtj1092

I don't understand why a slim console is bad or somehow confusing. It would replace the current ps4 and there has always been console revisions. I think people over think things. You walk into a store and there are two different Ps4s to buy at two different prices they play the same games. Where is the confusion?

It's already a pretty small console. It's also extremely loud and runs hot. I wonder how much smaller they can get

This is why I'm doubtful about the slim model rumor, or at least that a redesign is significantly slimmer. I can see a more power efficient model in the same size casing, or maybe a model that's 10% smaller, just so they can say it is.

It's hard to imagine anything proportional to the Xbone to One S slimming.

Makes sense. Still keeps those price conscious people in range. Matches with MS and their Slim + eventual Scorpio.

NX is going to be a tough sell though, I think.

Herola

Neo Member
Xbox One S is announced same day as Scorpio... Hahaha let's laugh msoft off the block. Assholes.

Sony rumored to announce PS4 slim and PS4 same day... #BELIEVE

All in all, slim models are a good thing and I could see Sony releasing one. Why do people shit on slims? Especially with incremental upgrades like the One S getting a UHD drive? Surely the PS4 Slim will also get one.

It is weird how this has people hype and that MS was treated like it's a big mistake.

dubq

I always scratched my had when people compared their PS4 to jet engines and said they got deafeningly loud. My PS4 never makes any noise, at least nothing audible from the couch.
Same. I have a launch model and have never had a single issue with noise or temperature.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I want to believe. But then I will have to eat crows for making fun of MS.

Lol, the doublestandards!

Anyways, really looking forward to the announcements. Hope they reduce the price of the slim, the base PS4 is still a bit expensive in my opinion.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Given how small and slim the PS4 already is, shouldn't they just shrink the internals and leave the casing and make the current look cooler and quieter?

This is how I can see a ps4 slim work...

Slim version would lose the hard drive, but finally allow external hard drive functionality.
Normal shrinkage of everything else, then sell it for 249.99.

Ps4 Neo and beyond would also allow external hard drive functionality as well, but also include a 1tb hard drive. 399.00, unless upgraded cup, then 449.00 or maybe 499.

Honestly I would be fine without a hard drive in any future PlayStation, just have enough onboard memory to run the OS, and let us, the consumer worry about what kind and size of hard drive we would want to use.

geordiemp

I thought NEO was going to be the slim with new new smaller die size components

What the shit

1/2 size components on the silicon, but twice as many of them running faster.

So if the Neo is really clocked high enough they may even make the Neo box bigger !

I cant see how much smaller they can make the low cost Ps4, cant hardly fit a HD in there anyway

Midas

Why do people seem to think that it matters _where_ it's announced? News will spread like wildfire wherever and whenever it gets announced.

I thought NEO was going to be the slim with new new smaller die size components

What the shit
Lol and people are expecting $399 to boot! And you guys wanted it to be stronger than 4.2 TF so it could have some fighting chance next to the Scorpio hahaha oh neogaf you make me laugh sometimes!

Chobel

Sony needs something to compete with XB1S and its UHD, and PS4K isn't that (due to price), so PS4 slim makes the most sense.

Why do people seem to think that it matters _where_ it's announced? News will spread like wildfire wherever and whenever it gets announced.

Yep, for news like this it doesn't matter when/where it's announced.

Crayon

This is how I can see a ps4 slim work...

Slim version would lose the hard drive, but finally allow external hard drive functionality.
Normal shrinkage of everything else, then sell it for 249.99.

Ps4 Neo and beyond would also allow external hard drive functionality as well, but also include a 1tb hard drive. 399.00, unless upgraded cup, then 449.00 or maybe 499.

Honestly I would be fine without a hard drive in any future PlayStation, just have enough onboard memory to run the OS, and let us, the consumer worry about what kind and size of hard drive we would want to use.

Negative.

1. hdd omission would save 10 buck on bom.
2. getting an ext hdd is an extra step that a huge amount of consumers wont take.
3. deciding which 3rd party one is actually another step.
4. no money made by sony on 3rd party hdd.
5. hdd-less system limits the amount of digital products the consumer can get.

Top Bottom