• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

AndersK

I am saving this for a week when the Box Office thread isn't moving at all. Will be good.

Hot Takes will save the Box Office thread

Sony should make Horizon a movie. I can only think how they will fuck it up.

Ok, ok, i got this. *snorts coke*

So, we make this amazing movie about motherfuckin' robot mecha-dinosuars, but we focus almost entirely on hilarious teen drama and oblivious parents. Aloy is in, only she's the love interrest and called, uh, Mikaela or Tessa or something. Main dude is focus-tested vanilla sunshine. Let's give him a Redemption arc and call him...Todd...nah, Ted. Also somehow Josh Duhamel's in it too. And black robots.

Zackat

Vin Diesal is Aloy

Its all about family... robot family

haha, god damnit

I can just imagine this movie on a budget of like Underworld: Blood Wars

oh god the horror

So, we make this amazing movie about motherfuckin' robot mecha-dinosuars, but we focus almost entirely on hilarious teen drama and oblivious parents. Aloy is in, only she's the love interrest and called, uh, Mikaela or Tessa or something. Main dude is focus-tested vanilla sunshine. Let's give him a Redemption arc and call him...Todd...nah, Ted. Also somehow Josh Duhamel's in it too. And black robots.

lol

This is a Fuck You, It's January! movie

Aloy, I mean, Mikaela is played by Scarlett Johansson or Jennifer Lawrence, because dat star-power.

This is definitely not typical. Your PS4 Pro could be overheating, or yes, it's possible your Pro might be a lemon. Does it happen in both Performance and Resolution modes? Typically you'll see this on PC when a graphics card is going bad, is overheating, or occasionally if drivers get corrupted (which doesn't really apply here for you). You could try backing up and reinitializing (resetting) your PS4 pro to see if that helps, but hardware problems are more likely the issue.
The thing is a week old, it'd probably be a hot lemon.
I've only run the game with Resolution. Noticed the cooling system quiets down significantly with Performance, so maaaybe this won't happen in that mode? But this shouldn't happen either way.

Tried Performance for about an hour until it crashed.
Third time the game's crashed in about 25 hours. Perhaps also not normal?

edit
Yeah saw some weirdness starting to appear in Brightmarket in Performance mode, and then the game crashed again.
I don't have a PS4 Pro, but I didn't see anything like that.

That said, I have seen something similar when one of my old PC's graphics card was overheating/dying. So my first thought would be to see if you can return your PS4.
Yep, I'm starting to believe this is the way things are going. It's overheating when rendering deserts. Would make sense.
I don't know why they say deserts are arid though.

Zackat

Yep, I'm starting to believe this is the way things are going. It's overheating when rendering deserts. Would make sense.

I've only run the game with Resolution. Noticed the cooling system quiets down significantly with Performance, so maaaybe this won't happen in that mode? But this shouldn't happen either way.

this is definitely not normal

BigDug13

You've got a hardware issue. My Pro has never had a single issue running in resolution mode for hours upon hours on this game rendering at 4K output.

Ryuuroden

I just finished and platinum'd the game last Tuesday. This game was literally the reason I returned to gaming after a more than two year break from any gaming and my return to the console scene that I left years ago. My last console was the gamecube....I got my ps4 pro and lg b6 in December and caught up on several games I missed during my absence like The Last of Us while waiting on HZD and I've got to say it was totally worth coming back. The pure joy I experienced while playing through the story is something I haven't felt in a looong time. It is one of the best games I have ever played and I've been around since the NES only really skipping 1 generation of consoles when I moved to pc. I need more Horizon.

About to start this game and im wondering a bit about the difficulty. How is hard and very hard? I want a challenging game but im not that hyped if its all just a big hp dump on everything. Also, how much can i disable the hud without it severely impacting gameplay? As in, how well designed is it with regard to no minimap and stuff.

Game looks awesome, but i like to minimize stuff like this. Its what made dragons dogma so fun to explore.

Zackat

About to start this game and im wondering a bit about the difficulty. How is hard and very hard? I want a challenging game but im not that hyped if its all just a big hp dump on everything. Also, how much can i disable the hud without it severely impacting gameplay? As in, how well designed is it with regard to no minimap and stuff.

Game looks awesome, but i like to minimize stuff like this. Its what made dragons dogma so fun to explore.

You can change the difficulty at any time. I played on Hard and found it good throughout.

Dynamic HUD is best

XVctOUZ.gif

About to start this game and im wondering a bit about the difficulty. How is hard and very hard? I want a challenging game but im not that hyped if its all just a big hp dump on everything.

I played through on very hard and found it pretty well-balanced. One thing to keep in mind is that combat in the game is more about being smart with where and how you hit the robots. If you just go whatever, they'll eat your arrows regardless of difficulty.

Also, how much can i disable the hud without it severely impacting gameplay? As in, how well designed is it with regard to no minimap and stuff.

Dynamic HUD. It's there just when you need it (by tapping the touchpad).

Is it just me or is this game really damn tough at times? I'm getting Killzone 2 flashbacks. I've just fought my first R
ockbreaker
in the
quarry
side mission and it took me bloody ages to bring the thing down. When
leaping out of the ground
I had a lot of trouble avoiding it and it was doing a third to a half of my health damage with every attack (530 health). I kept trying to tie it down with the Ropecaster but that wasn't working and I used Tearblast arrows to take off its weak points but that didn't seem to slow it down at all. Did it eventually, but it must have taken 15 minutes and about 3-4 deaths to the bastard. And I'm only playing on normal!

I'm now trying to find my way into
another quarry to find Olin
but I must have missed something as I don't see an obvious route in.

David___

Banned
Is it just me or is this game really damn tough at times? I'm getting Killzone 2 flashbacks. I've just fought my first R
ockbreaker
in the
quarry
I had a lot of trouble avoiding it and it was doing a third to a half of my health damage with every attack (530 health). I kept trying to tie it down with the Ropecaster but that wasn't working and I used Tearblast arrows to take off its weak points but that didn't seem to slow it down at all. Did it eventually, but it must have taken 15 minutes and about 3-4 deaths to the bastard. And I'm only playing on normal!

Honestly, anything that has the large healthbar seems like its on entirely different difficulty in terms of aggressiveness. What's cool about that fight though
is that you can lure it away from you if you blow up the barrels with a fire arrow so you have some breathing space.
It says in the bio that
it has sensitive hearing so that might play a part as to why it was just jumping out of the ground like no tomorrow/
Also make sure you have the
Shadow Ropecaster
if you want to bring down the large machines, otherwise it wont work.

RPGCrazied

Is this anyone else's GOTY? It is for me so far, maybe P5 can overtake it, but Breath of the Wild couldn't. This game just oozes style. From the graphics, to the voice acting and the great music. This is open world done right. So much to do and see its kinda ridiculous. I have so many points of interest on my map at 35 hours I wont touch all of this game. I will buy the DLC for this game if they do some.(I hope they do)

Ryuuroden

Is this anyone else's GOTY? It is for me so far, maybe P5 can overtake it, but Breath of the Wild couldn't. This game just oozes style. From the graphics, to the voice acting and the great music. This is open world done right. So much to do and see its kinda ridiculous. I have so many points of interest on my map at 35 hours I wont touch all of this game. I will buy the DLC for this game if they do some.(I hope they do)

They announced there will be dlc

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I've got a shit ton of games to beat still, haven't even touched Nioh or Yakuza 0 yet and I really want to sink my teeth into Rainworld but right now I'm taking on Nier Automata with Persona 5 right around the corner. Still I'd say Horizon is the top contender for myself right now.

RPGCrazied

They announced there will be dlc

Very cool, hope its a meaty expansion. I'd buy that for a high price.

I've got a shit ton of games to beat still, haven't even touched Nioh or Yakuza 0 yet and I really want to sink my teeth into Rainworld but right now I'm taking on Nier Automata with Persona 5 right around the corner. Still I'd say Horizon is the top contender for myself right now.

I have P5 to play too. But Horizon surprised me, didn't think it would end up this good. The story is really good. Didn't know it would turn out this
SciFi. I thought I was going to play in the past in tribal days, only to learn the apocalypse happened, lol.

It's mine and probably won't change that. Not interested in Automata, might grab it in black friday but it's definitely not my style. Probably won't play Zelda like... ever, but never say never. Persona 5... I don't know, the last jrpg I've enjoyed was Ni No Kuni... never played a Persona before, only a couple of hours of Innocent Sin on PS1, seemed interesting but I was too young. I've played several hours of Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne and I found it pretty good but still... I didn't pay that game and didn't finish it either, I'm afraid I'll pay $60 for Persona 5 and won't enjoy it as much as everyone else and it's an expense I haven't considered...

In any case, Horizon is fantastic, I really don't think it'll be topped to me.

Finally heard
Rost's
story.
vaPZEuVEEPHxK.gif

I really thought they were going to pull a
Gandalf the White
thing. :'(

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
ockbreaker
in the
quarry

Try standing on stuff they can't burrow through.

The cool thing about this game is that you can cheese some of the guys if you just need too, but also you can go balls out and fuck their shit up. It just gives you so many sweet tools and methods to approach things. It's really the part they did best, just the shear number of ways you can choose to play. You aren't ever really forced to go one route.

Thank god they didn't.

Yeah, in the end it didn't make sense but the first hours when everyone was so misterious about it and the
"we didn't find the body" I was like... wait, he might be alive!
The game does put itself in several cliche positions and make its way out of it really well.

Yeah, in the end it didn't make sense but the first hours when everyone was so misterious about it and the
The game does put itself in several cliche positions and make its way out of it really well.
I honestly just assumed he was vaporized.

I honestly just assumed he was vaporized.

Nah I wasn't sure, but I admit that after a few hours I was pretty much convinced that that was the case but with the first few conversations after that moment I had my suspects.
Obviously the real fact it's a far more convincing take on the story.

ErMerGerd

Neo Member
Anyone playing on a Pro on a 1080p tv? Gonna grab one next week and I'm wondering if I'll notice any difference for my second time through

Planet

Resh is a character you meet quite early in the game, and he is an asshole. When you eventually return to the All-Mother
for the Heart of the Nora quest and meet him again
, make sure
to talk to him!

I really like how they handled the dialog before and after you enter the bunker. Even when every other Nora bows down and calls Aloy the Anointed, he stays in character. Many other games would have had him apologise there or long before involved him in a plot twist revealing him to be a spy of the enemy. No such thing here, he is just hating the guts out of her, for reasons barely explained, and Aloy returns the favor quite eloquently. The exchange there was really refreshing. *tips hat to Guerilla Games*

Venture

Took me nearly 140 hours but I finally finished. What an amazing game! The passion and love Guerilla had for this project is evident in every aspect. I don't know if I'm ready to call it my favorite ever, but yeah this might be my favorite game ever.

The ending's very good, but a few things did bother me. Partly it's the dumping you back to before the last mission.
Story-wise I don't see any reason why you couldn't continue exploring the world after you saved it. Maybe they plan to address this with DLC though. Also didn't care for the magic flying Hades ball of light. Not sure what that's supposed to be. Would've been more dramatic to keep it realistic just have some kind of signal on Hades that it's transmitting and then the device Sylens is carrying start to glow, followed by "Hello old friend."

Man, I have a lot of catching up to do in the spoiler thread.

shiba5

They did find it. She just says they didn't find much left. Look how small the cairn is at his grave.

Fredrik

Wow!
I just stumbled into the
Fire Bellowback boss
down in the first
Cauldron
. Terrifying creature! It was killing me over and over in like 1-2 minutes at first and I had no idea how to beat it, it showed a weakness to freezing but I had no weapons with freeze attacks so that wasn't going to work.
So I rigged the place Predator-style with wire blast traps like a web all over the room and regular blast traps at every opening in the "ring". After the initial blasts had downed the
Watchers
and I just started hitting the
Bellowback
with arrows like crazy, rolled around the floor and lured it into all but one remaining trap and eventually beat it. Sooo satisfying! This was like a BOTW-Lynel moment for me, just awesome! :D

Zakalwe

Banned

Not even close for me. Yakuza 0, Nier, and Resident Evil 7 all sit qute far above this.

I'm going to catch flack for this I'm sure, but I really didn't enjoy this game much in hindsight. I loved the combat, and elements of the story were interesting, but aside from the machines I found the art-style very dull, the characters lacked charm, even Aloy turned out to lack an interesting arc and felt a little hollow somehow as a protagonist.

The RPG elements are all too shallow, too, and the game feels highly repetitive.

It's a 7/10 game for me after giving it a lot of thought. The technical aspects are by far the most impressive thing here and there's a /lot/ of promise. I think GG have it in them to make a GOAT contender, Horizon or not.

If they do make a sequel next, I hope they either make the RPG systems a lot deeper and expand the interaction in the open world so it feels more lived in, or turn it into a more focused action game. The shallow RPG elements frustrated me far more than anything else.

Oh, and I'd love to see some kind of loot system so exploring has more reward.

soulluos

New patch

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/62djco/horizon_zero_dawn_112_patch_notes/

Hi everyone – We’re very happy to announce that we’re releasing another patch for Horizon Zero Dawn today. Patch 1.12 fixes a number of progression issues and crashes. Please see the full patch details below, but beware of spoilers.
If you encounter an issue while playing Horizon Zero Dawn, please try reloading a recent manual save, quicksave or autosave from the “Load” menu option. If the issue persists, please take screenshots of the area where it occurred and your location on the map, and forward them to us for further investigation.

NEW FEATURES

• Added 3D Audio support for 3D headsets.

ADJUSTMENTS

• Improved Pathfinding to Quest markers and custom waypoints when players are on a mount.

• Improved performance in several areas in the game.

• Several improvements to the lightmap.

FIXES

Progression Fixes

• Fixed an issue that some players might encounter in "The Point of the Spear" where players would be given an extra Carja Bow and Spear if Aloy died before talking to Rost.

• Fixed an issue in "The Point of the Spear" which some players might encounter where the Sawtooth would no longer be present when players updated their game to Patch 1.10 during the 'Kill the Sawtooth' objective.

• Fixed an issue in "Revenge of the Nora" where some players were able to bypass natural progression by entering the Metal Ring by jumping over the roots.

• Fixed an issue in "The Sun Shall Fall" where finishing a weapon tutorial during the Glinthawk encounter and reloading would result in some players not being able to enter the gates and continue the quest.

• Fixed an issue in "The Grave-Hoard" where completing a weapon tutorial during the Deathbringer encounter would prevent the Deathbringer from respawning when some players would reload the game.

• Fixed an issue in "To Curse the Darkness" where certain players could climb the roots around the entrance of the cave and bypass natural progression of the quest.

• Fixed an issue in "Deep Secrets of the Earth" where a few players were unable to enter the bunker after fast traveling during the animation of Aloy opening the vent.

• Fixed an issue in "The Mountain That Fell" where some players were able to leave the boundaries of the world.

• Fixed an issue in "Robbing the Rich" where certain players were not able to complete the quest when talking to Ravan.

• Fixed an issue in "Fatal Inheritance" where Daradi would be missing after fast traveling away from the quest area, which resulted in some players not being able to complete the 'Return to Daradi' objective.

• Fixed an issue in "A Moment's Peace" where for some players the quest objective would be updated to "Return to Vilgund" after completing the quest, even though players did not meet Vilgund yet.

• Fixed an issue in "Collateral" where a few players wouldn't be able to complete the 'Talk to Olin and Enasha' objective because Enasha would not wait in the Farm.

• Fixed an issue in "Cause for Concern" where completing Bandit Camps in a specific order would result in a few players not being able to interact with Nil to complete the quest.

• Fixed an issue in Cauldron Xi where certain players were able to bypass natural progression of the quest by escaping the core chamber during the 'Defend the Core' objective.

• Fixed an issue in the weapon tutorial for the War Bow, where using the Lodge War Bow would not tally towards any of the War Bow tutorials.

General Fixes

• Fixed an issue where Patch 1.10 did not offer a retroactive solution for some players who encountered an issue with a Tallneck’s datapoint that did not unlock when they had fast-traveled away while on top of the Tallneck instead of rappelling down. Players who encountered this, should revisit the Tallneck again and leave the area to unlock the datapoint.

• Fixed an issue where some players would have the issue of wielded Heavy Weapons getting stuck on Aloy’s arm when interacting with the elevator in Meridian.

• Fixed an issue where for a few players the awareness icons and tags would become invisible when the game saves while a Watcher uses the FlashStun attack on Aloy.

• Fixed an issue where some players would spawn in the mountains when fast-traveling to the center of Sunfall.

• Fixed an issue where after completing “Revenge of the Nora”, Varl would have a wrong dialogue.

• Fixed an issue where a few players were able to call a mount during the fight with Helis in “The Face of Extinction”.

• Fixed an issue in “The Forgotten” where the prompt to interact with Olara was visible when Olara was not at that location.

• Fixed an issue where the quest marker for “Underequipped” would disappear from the map when leaving the starting area of the quest.

• Fixed an issue in “Death from the Skies” where the ‘Kill the Stormbird’ objective would not have a quest marker.

• Fixed an issue where overridden bridges in Cauldron Rho would not be visible when some players were standing at a certain distance.

• Fixed an issue where a few players were able to exploit Hunting Ground trials for resources.

• Fixed an issue where for some the sound of destructible trees was not playing.

• Fixed an issue with Pathfinder enabled for a custom waypoint when standing on the bridge of the Two Teeth Bandit Camp.

• Fixed an issue where the soundtrack would start over during the Credits.

• Fixed an issue where on some occasions Aloy would not place a trap when players wanted to.

• Fixed an issue where on some occasions Aloy would grab her spear instead of placing a trap.

• Fixed various LOD issues.

• Fixed various issues of players getting stuck in geometry.

• Fixed various issues of players accessing areas outside of the play area.

Crash Fixes

• Fixed an issue in "The City of the Sun" where in some occasions the game would crash when Aloy and Erend arrive at Olin's house.

• Fixed an issue where the game would crash when some players fast-travelled during one of Aloy's animations in the bunker she fell into when she was a child.

• Fixed various miscellaneous crashes.

We very much appreciate all the feedback we have received so far, and we will continue to work on further improvements based on your comments. If you have any questions or feedback regarding Patch 1.12, please let us know in the comments below.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Finally heard
Rost's
story.
vaPZEuVEEPHxK.gif

Pretty wild that it's completely optional. But yeah, dem feels.
Rost da real MVP

GG has been on top of the game patching the game this quickly after release.
One could also say its a buggy mess, but truth be told ive only had a couple of minor issues.
Props to GG for working hard to make the best game possible.. but where are my Fish bones GG? WHERE? ;)

Top Bottom