• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

r1chard

\I also spent a good amount of time taking them out and totally spaced on the idea of hacking other enemies/getting enemy weapons for that fight. Probably because outside of that nothing has ever been challenging enough to feel the need to, honestly.
Yeah, I only got to them when I'd already hit level 50 and had pretty much completed the rest of the game (and was wondering where the thing I'd missed was, heh). Even then, it was a good challenge.

Venture

There are two Ravenger's in a field on the back side of where the Rockbreakers are, so I just used them. It was such a cool fight, I love seeing the machines fight each other.

Speaking of Ravenger's though, they are supposed to be wolves right? They are pretty similar to the Sawtooths, but more powerful. They seem more like wolves though and not just upgraded Sawtooth which are tigers.
Yep. Ravagers howl sometimes so I think of them as wolves.

I always think of Scrappers as Hyenas because of the noise they make.
That sound is so creepy/cool. One of the reasons I love the Scrappers, even though they can be annoying little bastards sometimes.

Just beat the campaign, here's what I thought.

Great
-Visuals, sound design and Ambient music. As someone who isn't new to the tech GG pushes in their games, HZD legit blew me away in it's audio visual design from start to finish. The game's ambient music/visuals gave me Witcher III / RDR vibes, yet it managed to have it's own creative identity to the overall visual content that's in store.

-Gameplay was one area i was worried about from the start. I didn't find navigating through the levels of KZ:S fun at all and it felt boring/lack luster all the way. But KZ2 and KZ3 campaigns, I had a blast with these two games. So I gave HZD a chance, and I'm so glad the game is actually super fun to pick up and play from the get go. Despite being an RPG title, the game gives you tools at your disposal very early on, and this I feel adds to the excitement to the encounters with the machines from the early quests in the game.

Room for Improvement
-The transition from cinematics to gameplay to cinematics is jarring. It's abrupt and just breaks the immersion every now and then. I think Witcher III somehow managed to mask the abruptness when i would enter in and out of cinematics.
-The game has an interesting sci-fi story, but the characters and their names were just not memorable. So many names of characters, tribes are being mentioned in dialogues and couple that with sci-fi tech words and names of places, I just found the game hard to follow. There were moments I felt I couldn't care less for the story. It pains me to say this as I want the game's story to keep me engaged at all times. Another quick comparison with Witcher III, which also happens to be my very first RPG experience back in 2015. I had never played a Witcher game before, and felt a bit intimidated when entering the world of Witcher III. But from the very start of the game till the end, I knew exactly what I was doing, who were the characters I interacted with a minute ago and who's life is at stake, so on and so forth.
-Finding the weakness of a particular machine and what would work against it, I kept forgetting for some of the machines later on in the game. I didn't particularly find it interesting to navigate to the books in HZD to learn about a machine's weakness. But I had no issues in Witcher III(forgive my back to back comparisons of this game with Witcher III, since that's the only other RPG game I've played before and both games share similar design aesthetics)

One last issue I had was missing audio effects here and there, aloy's sliding audio wouldn't play when I am inside buildings. Aloy
celebrated victory
, but there was no audio of her screaming in happiness during the
cutscene after defeating hades
. Also I found it a tad tedious to scale from one end of the map to other on foot. Riding machines wasn't comfortable, wish the game had a horse, I mean there's turkey, rat, fox, boars.

With all things considered, GG deserves every single ounce of praise from critics and gamers around the world who have been playing HZD. They have achieved the impossible, make a brand new game(ip)/brand new genre altogether and most importantly a fun and satisfying game to play. You guys rock GG, been an ardent fan of yours since KZ2 days.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just beat it.

100% completion.
All datalogs found.
All tutorial quests complete.

Watching the credits and waiting for my last trophy and platinum to pop.

Amazing game. Wish the ending wasn't prerendered though. Kinda weird seeing Aloy in the default outfit after not using it the entire game.

Anyone have any pointers on fighting those rockbreaker (Tremors looking machine)? I'm trying to the clear a corrupted area and my god, these assholes are hard.

Chuckie

Those two corrupted Rockbreakers...Good grief lol.

Yeah I was struggling too. Then two Ravagers entered the area. I killed those and used their guns on the Rockbreakers. They went down in a couple of seconds haha.

Anyone have any pointers on fighting those rockbreaker (Tremors looking machine)? I'm trying to the clear a corrupted area and my god, these assholes are hard.

Hehe. Ravager guns ;)

Yeah I was struggling too. Then two Ravagers entered the area. I killed those and used their guns on the Rockbreakers. They went down in a couple of seconds haha.

Hehe. Ravager guns ;)

oh, good idea. Take those out and crawl over to the Rockbreakers with the gun. Thanks!

prophecy0

I just got to Meridian. I remember someone in the last thread saying to do the mainline quests in Meridian in a particular order. With as fee spoilers as possible, could someone please refresh my memory as to the best order to do the quests?

I explored Olin's house and have a quest to track him down. I also have a quest to help Erend track his sister's killers.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Is it the area with the two corrupted rockbreakers by the river? If so you can cheese them by just going to the other side of the river and shoot them from there until they die.

when you are geared up those things are all pretty easy (I didn't do the weapon tutorials though)

I might do the hunts after I'm done with Nier. The only thing left for me to do is to knock over those 23 targets :p

Picollus

Neo Member
I was revisiting this thread about the september 2014 leaks.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895571

How Gorilla Games was able to go from these concept arts to a very different final game in just two years ! This is insane !

Maybe, the arts were really old when they leaked ? Was that a PR reception test to check if they continue development 2.5 years from release ?

Question: I was in the
Sun palace
, fighting a bunch of
Glint-Hawks
but noticed i lacked fuel to make fire-arrows. So i fast travelled to a campfire, bought some fuel, did some other stuff and went back to the palace to continue this mission. However... i can't get in anymore.

Anyone know how to do this? please...

Menthuss

I'm getting really bored of the game after 20-ish hours and just want to finish the story at this point. Yesterday I finished the mission where you
discover what the Enduring Victory and Zero Dawn projects were really about.
How many hours do I have left?

robo

Finished the game last night and got the platinum., 85 hours as I was busy killing stuff for fun.

Enjoyed it no end, credits took an age and then then sylens!

Combichristoffersen

Finished the game last night and got the platinum., 85 hours as I was busy killing stuff for fun.

Enjoyed it no end, credits took an age and then then sylens!

The credits were almost as long as the average GAF dick. Almost fell asleep myself during the credits last night, haha.

Question: I was in the
Sun palace
, fighting a bunch of
Glint-Hawks
but noticed i lacked fuel to make fire-arrows. So i fast travelled to a campfire, bought some fuel, did some other stuff and went back to the palace to continue this mission. However... i can't get in anymore.

Anyone know how to do this? please...

^Oof that's bad. Maybe reload from an earlier save?

Wait a minute.. wasn't there some other entrance to that mission? Will have to try that this evening.

danowat

Banned
One thing that I do feel the game lacks is the lack of the game pushing you in any particular direction, I get that some people may think this is a good thing, but I don't.

The world is huge, diverse and there is a lot to see, but it seems that big areas of the map are untouched by main or side quests, and the game also doesn't do a very good job of pushing you to do cauldrons, I think it would probably be possible to complete the game without doing any past the first one.

There is something missing, the game doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, there are 3 game styles going on, the combat (which is stellar), the narrative part (a bit like Uncharted), and the open world.

The combat and open world go well together, but there seems to be a jarring division between the open world part, and the narrative part.

I don't know what it is exactly, and I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but there is a slight lack of cohesion somewhere, and I wonder if the game needed the open world at all...........

One thing that I do feel the game lacks is the lack of the game pushing you in any particular direction, I get that some people may think this is a good thing, but I don't.

The world is huge, diverse and there is a lot to see, but it seems that big areas of the map are untouched by main or side quests, and the game also doesn't do a very good job of pushing you to do cauldrons, I think it would probably be possible to complete the game without doing any past the first one.

There is something missing, the game doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, there are 3 game styles going on, the combat (which is stellar), the narrative part (a bit like Uncharted), and the open world.

The combat and open world go well together, but there seems to be a jarring division between the open world part, and the narrative part.

I don't know what it is exactly, and I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but there is a slight lack of cohesion somewhere, and I wonder if the game needed the open world at all...........

Not at all imo. If you do the main mission you'll be constantly driven and fed with information. Combat and narrative go hand in hand. Open world is optional and it does that well too.
BUT, you can choose to do other stuff. What you describe is for any open world game. You can level up by doing a lot of side stuff and gather materials, weapons, etc.. It all works really well together.

BeeDog

Don't really agree. Cauldrons are fully optional, yes, but in open-world games there's always something that should reward you if you go off the beaten path. Though I agree nothing in the main/side flow pushes you to them.

What I mainly don't agree with is your comment regarding large parts of the map not being used. In my opinion, I think Horizon might be the best game so far in utilizing almost all of its (admittedly, small-ish) world map. I've gone through pretty much all main/side/errand missions, and it feels I've pretty much hit all unique parts of the map, and all the unique "edges" as well. In this way, I think the game feels laser-focused compared to other open-world games.

mitchman

Gold Member
Tip for those that want to re-play it without messing up their save games: Create a new account in your PS4 and re-play it on that account. After 100%'ing it, I felt a void was in my life so I had to do it :)

Jacob4815

The sequel needs more exclusive bosses and robots in the main missions.

I didn't care when i fought a Thunderjaw or a Stormbird in a main mission, because I had already killed dozens of them in my free roam exploration.
And (end game spoiler)...

what a disappointment the final boss! I wanted to fight a new machine... at least in the final fight...

Combichristoffersen

The sequel needs more exclusive bosses and robots in the main missions.

I didn't care when i fought a Thunderjaw or a Stormbird in a main mission, because I had already killed dozens of them in my free roam exploration.
And (end game spoiler)...

what a disappointment the final boss! I wanted to fight a new machine... at least in the final fight...

Would've been awesome to fight an awakened
Metal Devil
as the final boss. Total epic God of War style.

AtkO

Would've been awesome to fight an awakened
Metal Devil
as the final boss. Total epic God of War style.

Had I not spoiled myself about a few things here and there, I would have totally expected that. Maybe in the DLC, that
metal devil Sylens finds at the end seems to be in a perfect spot and condition to wake up and give us an insane fight
so my fingers are fully crossed!

Combichristoffersen

Had I not spoiled myself about a few things here and there, I would have totally expected that. Maybe in the DLC, that
metal devil Sylens finds at the end seems to be in a perfect spot and condition to wake up and give us an insane fight
so my fingers are fully crossed!

Not sure if
Sylens would let Hades out of that canister to awaken a Metal Devil
though. He seemed to have learned towards the end of the game.

horkrux

and the game also doesn't do a very good job of pushing you to do cauldrons, I think it would probably be possible to complete the game without doing any past the first one.

I'm sure it is. I haven't been to any other than the first either so far and I've already played a few dozen hours.
But I don't see that as a bad thing. Cauldrons mainly serve the purpose of upgrading your override afaik and it's not like Aloy hasn't already said a million times that it might be possible to override a creature I can't override yet.
And since they are actually tied to gameplay mechanics, I still fully intend to visit them.

AtkO

Not sure if
Sylens would let Hades out of that canister to awaken a Metal Devil
though. He seemed to have learned towards the end of the game.

Yea, that's probably true, but I wouldn't be surprised if
Sylens becomes a vilain, at the end of the day. But not willingly, just outsmarted by Hades or another robot. He wants knowledge, he's shown that he's kinda ready to do anything to get just that, so yea, something might turn the guy into a mad scientist.

Oh, and let's get back to the real topic at hand :
Fuck Ted Farro!, it should be a hashtag, #FuckTedFarro

tiddles

Thanx. Will try them if i can't find the other entrance.

You get 5 each of quick saves, auto saves, and manual saves... obviously the first two will get overwritten as new ones are created, whereas the manual saves you have complete control over. Hopefully there is something you can go back to if you need to!

You get 5 each of quick saves, auto saves, and manual saves... obviously the first two will get overwritten as new ones are created, whereas the manual saves you have complete control over. Hopefully there is something you can go back to if you need to!

Each? Great to know. But i have a feeling i just need to find that other entrance (from Dervahl's hideout). That's the way that part of the level started. On a bridge and into some kind of sewer.

Combichristoffersen

Yea, that's probably true, but I wouldn't be surprised if
Sylens becomes a vilain, at the end of the day. But not willingly, just outsmarted by Hades or another robot. He wants knowledge, he's shown that he's kinda ready to do anything to get just that, so yea, something might turn the guy into a mad scientist.

Oh, and let's get back to the real topic at hand :
Fuck Ted Farro!, it should be a hashtag, #FuckTedFarro

I dunno,
however eager he is for knowledge, I don't think he'll let Hades use him again. Although whoever sent the activation signal for Hades might track him down and kidnap him.

I felt kinda bad for
Ted
and his
unintended global disaster
until I learned
he had deleted APOLLO. WTF Ted. #FuckTedFarro

platocplx

How Gorilla Games was able to go from these concept arts to a very different final game in just two years ! This is insane !

Maybe, the arts were really old when they leaked ? Was that a PR reception test to check if they continue development 2.5 years from release ?

I swear the game was in development longer than that actually. Well maybe 2.5 years dev but they had a ton of concept and pre-planning beforehand. Honestly a well ran project all together.

I felt kinda bad for
Ted
and his
unintended global disaster
until I learned
he had deleted APOLLO. WTF Ted. #FuckTedFarro

I'm not feeling bad for a guy that
created wars and then profited off them. Also, Ted was intending to profit from the Faro Plague. Guy was rotten to the core and gets no pity cookies. #FuckTedFaro

I swear the game was in development longer than that actually. Well maybe 2.5 years dev but they had a ton of concept and pre-planning beforehand. Honestly a well ran project all together.

Game was in dev since 2011 and they had been working on the core concept way before that, 2009.

Apples_89

Question about location:
Is there a specific scene or image which explicitly tells the player where the game is set?
I finished the main story last night and it wasn't clear to me until I looked it up online so there's obviously something I missed or didn't see.

Question about location:
Is there a specific scene or image which explicitly tells the player where the game is set?
I finished the main story last night and it wasn't clear to me until I looked it up online so there's obviously something I missed or didn't see.

Did you go to any of the vantage points?

platocplx

created wars and then profited off them. Also, Ted was intending to profit from the Faro Plague. Guy was rotten to the core and gets no pity cookies. #FuckTedFaro

Game was in dev since 2011 and they had been working on the core concept way before that, 2009.

yeah that make a lot more sense. because this definitely is well polished and shows how a long cycle really helps makes a game feel totally complete.

Venture

That was fun, looking back through that thread.

KOHIPEET said:
I can already see the enemies of the second game:

542535224_eba2eced2f_z.jpg

Pretty damn close. Didn't even have to wait for the sequel.
TSRht6E.png

Combichristoffersen

Was it ever implied
he created wars
? All I got was that he created the Peacekeeper line of robots. As for
profiting of the plague, didn't he just want to keep shut about who was responsible for it rather than directly profit off it
?

I'm sure I did. Is there one in particular which I should go back to?

The game is set in
Denver/Colorado about a 1000 years into the future
and some of the vantage points directly refer to real world locations in the area :)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Was it ever implied
he created wars
? All I got was that he created the Peacekeeper line of robots. As for
profiting of the plague, didn't he just want to keep shut about who was responsible for it rather than directly profit off it
?

The game is set in
Denver/Colorado about a 1000 years into the future
and some of the vantage points directly refer to real world locations in the area :)

There's a text log about purposefully creating a conflict between two groups so they can profit off of that, IIRC (the coffee corps.?). Though it wasn't directly from Faro, it's implied that he'd find that desirable.

Was it ever implied
he created wars
?

Yes. It's in one of the datapoints.

As for
?

No.
One of the datapoints talks about how, just after the Plague was discovered, he saw an "opportunity" and wanted to pivot his industries into man-controlled weaponry.

Top Bottom