• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg on NextBox: E3 is all about the games, "tons of exclusives"

What is the point in going after the casual market now? The system will be too expensive, and it'll give the core audience to Sony.

It doesn't matter what they've done for the last three years, they weren't launching a console, they were expanding an audience.

They're gonna market it as mainly a media/tv based system and not just a games platform. The sub based pricing model (which will probably be decided by the retailers so it could be even cheaper than $299) is supposed to entice the casual crowd. The $499 model will be for core audience who will buy it regardless.

StuBurns

Banned
That's a fucking miracle with how bad the PS3 was before the 2009 relaunch
Certainly is. MS should have slaughtered them really.
They're gonna market it as mainly a media/tv based system and not just a games platform. The sub based pricing model (which will probably be decided by the retailers so it could be even cheaper than $299) is supposed to entice the casual crowd. The $499 model will be for core audience who will buy it regardless.
I guess we'll see very soon.

Klocker

Of what? A video game console? Why are people talking as if posters are cowering in fear of what a video game console is going to offer? Yeesh.

Shouldn't people be allowed to be excited about a competitor or cautiously optimistic without being called "scared?" Of course, depends how serious you or they are taking all of this.

fear of not being associated with number 1, numero uno, the big cheese, the winner, leader, best selling, top dog.... blah blah blah, human nature for some humans.

Xenon

It really does seem to offend some people that Microsoft might actually be serious about having games on their videogame console...

The difference is Sony lovingly supports their developers to make the world of gaming a better place for us.

Microsoft just gives theirs money.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
That didn't work out for them last time.

Though Lost Odyssey was kind of a cheesy snooze.

I haven't opened it yet. Still sealed. :D I will play it this summer.

If they have something like Mass Effect or Gears again (though not those games, I mean games that made me buy a 360 in the first place) consider me interested. I just hope they can break out of the mould of Halo/Gears/blah blah you've heard this a million times before. Not necessarily because "same old franchises," but more because I don't care for the franchises anymore, especially after Halo 4 and Judgement.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
One way or another tuesday we're gonna be legit shook

#legitshook

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The biggest crow eating in GAf's history is coming. You can feel it in the air.
I'm not sure it'll come Tuesday but I think after E3 things will be different with the negativity about Durango. I don't see them pulling something like a CoD exclusive but they have formed a lot of new studios that could come out with some interesting IPs. That's what I'm waiting for.

Of what? A video game console? Why are people talking as if posters are cowering in fear of what a video game console is going to offer? Yeesh.

Shouldn't people be allowed to be excited about a competitor or cautiously optimistic without being called "scared?" Of course, depends how serious you or they are taking all of this.
You know what kind of scared I meant. Of course no one is cowering in fear lol. I was saying that people who might not be fans of MS seem to be nervous that the next xbox will be good/snatch up some of their favorite game series as exclusives. And that this could be one of the reasons people are quite salty/filled with negativity. It's like they can't grasp that MS could destroy their precious Sony out of the gate, once again.

They haven't said anything about the focus of their next system

I know that, and that's the problem they haven't said anything. So all people have to go off of is the last few years of focus on the 360. Also lets not pretend like Kinect won't get some focus for the next Xbox, it's a diffentiator and most likely in every next console.

I'm not sure it'll come Tuesday but I think after E3 things will be different with the negativity about Durango. I don't see them pulling something like a CoD exclusive but they have formed a lot of new studios that could come out with some interesting IPs. That's what I'm waiting for.
A mix of both is what I was trying to say Reveal + E3. A story told in 2 episodes.

Either way, one side will be eating crow. Those who are and those who aren't expecting some super crazy announcements. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks.
Anything is possible. I'm not trying to say that the Nextbox is going to rape the competition, but the exaggerated negativity on GAF is going to look really stupid after the events.

I know that, and that's the problem they haven't said anything. So all people have to go off of is the last few years of focus on the 360. Also lets not pretend like Kinect won't get some focus for the next Xbox, it's a diffentiator and most likely in every next console.

I don't like Kinect but I don't see the problem if they have some focus on it. The PS4 has a camera with the system too and I'm still buying that. Not every single aspect of a system is going to be satisfying, I think Kinect is crap but it still hasn't prevented me from playing some great games on the platform I.e 360

Yep.

Finally the FFXIII Xbox 360 port will be topped.
Nah probably not. Maybe MGS V or GTA V Durango exclusive could do it. But otherwise there are not much things left that were once considered to be exclusives to Sony. All the possible betrayaltons happened this gen already xD

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
A mix of both is what I was trying to say Reveal + E3. A story told in 2 episodes.

Anything is possible. I'm not trying to say that the Nextbox is going to rape the competition, but the exaggerated negativity on GAF is going to look really stupid after the events.
I agree with you. As long as only online doesn't happen, which I'm seriously doubting at this point, I think a lot of people, at least the Xbox fanbase, will wind up being pleased. Even if the tech specs are weaker than PS4, I don't think the differences will be as major as some people expect. Hell, whatever's shown at the reveal could look better than what Sony showed in February due to the extra few months of work on what's likely to be more finalized hardware.

I hope people aren't counting me in the "salty" crew. I'm genuinely interested in what MS has to show but some of the megaton announcements people keep expecting don't jive with my understanding of the industry and Microsoft's strategies. Don't expect megatons on Tuesday, those will come at E3. Expect a solid, focused showing on the hardware, OS features, and Live.

he told you? lol
Yep. He said no exclusive games (nothing about DLC) from Activision and that it wouldn't be BF, Mass Effect, or DA from EA. Later on he confirmed that he was referring to Respawn's game as the exclusive EA game.

Gadirok

Prepare your bodies for timed exclusive dlc, timed exclusive games, and kinect shovelware.

YOU WILL TAKE YOUR KINECT SHOVELWARE AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!

Also CoD will guarantee it will sell out.
at launch at least

I don't like Kinect but I don't see the problem if they have some focus on it. The PS4 has a camera with the system too and I'm still buying that. Not every single aspect of a system is going to be satisfying, I think Kinect is crap but it still hasn't prevented me from playing some great games on the platform I.e 360

Me either man, I'm just saying. People jumping on this salty and eating crow train are way more insufferable than those that are thinking or even joking about Kinect games. It's as if they are looking for a fight.

You know what kind of scared I meant. Of course no one is cowering in fear lol. I was saying that people who might not be fans of MS seem to be nervous that the next xbox will be good/snatch up some of their favorite game series as exclusives. And that this could be one of the reasons people are quite salty/filled with negativity. It's like they can't grasp that MS could destroy their precious Sony out of the gate, once again.

"Destroy their precious Sony?" Wow. Didn't know people (including you) were taking it that far this early in the new generation.

I thought all three consoles fare pretty well last gen. Wii dominated HW sales and PS3/360 ended up fairly even. At least we are finally getting info on these new consoles.

Maybe MGS V or GTA V Durango exclusive could do it. But otherwise there are not much things left that were once considered to be exclusives to Sony. All the possible betrayaltons happened this gen already xD

Hahaha aint no way either of those end up exclusive on Durango.

Me either man, I'm just saying. People jumping on this salty and eating crow train are way more insufferable than those that are thinking or even joking about Kinect games. It's as if they are looking for a fight.

Oh I know dude, I wasn't attacking you btw, my bad if it come across like that

I agree with you. As long as only online doesn't happen, which I'm seriously doubting at this point, I think a lot of people, at least the Xbox fanbase, will wind up being pleased. Even if the tech specs are weaker than PS4, I don't think the differences will be as major as some people expect. Hell, whatever's shown at the reveal could look better than what Sony showed in February due to the extra few months of work on what's likely to be more finalized hardware.

I hope people aren't counting me in the "salty" crew. I'm genuinely interested in what MS has to show but some of the megaton announcements people keep expecting don't jive with my understanding of the industry and Microsoft's strategies. Don't expect megatons on Tuesday, those will come at E3. Expect a solid, focused showing on the hardware, OS features, and Live.

Yep. He said no exclusive games (nothing about DLC) from Activision and that it wouldn't be BF, Mass Effect, or DA from EA. Later on he confirmed that he was referring to Respawn's game as the EA game.

good to hear

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Keep dreaming.
I actually could see a timed exclusive next gen version of GTAV happening. For Durango, at least for this fall. KojiPro seems pretty dedicated to multiplatform development right now and MGS games don't sell on non Playstation platforms, Rising didn't even get a 360 release in Japan, so there's no way that one will happen.

I-hate-u

My predictions:
-Respawn next game will be only on the Nextbox.
-Rare is making a new IP that appeals to the hardcore.
-Crystal Dynamic will be on stage teasing a new game with exclusive content on Nextbox.
-Epic working a new IP exclusively for the new Nextbox.

Hey, they need something as timed exclusives after that bungie betraylton with Sony exclusive DLC.

I'm guessing CoD.

Rather than baseless speculation of MS money hatting the biggest games in the industry, I think when they mean exclusives they mean they'll finally reveal what all of their newly founded studios have been up to.

Keep dreaming.
You thought I was serious? No way this is happening lol. I was simply pointing out that these exclusives are the only real megatons I could see making PS warriors really pissy. Respawn's exclusive game is really nothing compared to that.

So I don't think we will see a repeat of the FF XIII on Xbox moment.

Top Bottom