• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania Denuvo DRM cracked

ShadowOwl

For those who wonder why many people think Denuvo is a problem read this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=247304620#post247304620

There's nothing wrong with having concerns, but usually the ones that hate Denuvo or hate DRM are more vocal than the ones that have no issues with Denuvo or don't care about DRM.
People not caring was never a good indicator for a matter being actually overall important.

From the amount of people that complain about it on these forums you would think any game that has Denuvo is broken game that runs like crap, which isn't necessarily true. If you don't like DRM, then that's fine. Buy it on console or just don't buy it. Also don't justify pirating the game because it has DRM, that's the entire reason we have to deal with DRM.
Where are "let's pirate the game" posts in this very thread?. Also, just buying the game and ignoring the issue won't make shitty DRM go away. There will always be piracy, with or without DRM. In the end Denuvo and any kind of DRM discriminates against the honest customer. Go contact Sega and tell them what you think.

kewlmyc

Apparently nearly all Namco Bandai games on Steam use Deveno as well. Can't wait for this thread again when DBFighterZ come out.

CrazyHal

DRM doesn't fucking work game companies and it only ends up punishing the honest player. Get it trought your thick skulls.

There's nothing wrong with having concerns, but usually the ones that hate Denuvo or hate DRM are more vocal than the ones that have no issues with Denuvo or don't care about DRM. .

You say that like it's something odd or wrong about it, that concerned people are more vocal then content/unknowing people?

If you don't like DRM, then that's fine. Buy it on console or just don't buy it.

So basically, deal with it? Because you don't want to read about it? Instead of voicing our opinion in hope of change being made?

Change which does happen, where developers have patched out excessive DRM after public backlash.

s_mirage

What aggravates me with situations like this is that I can understand why publishers want DRM to protect a game's launch period, but they could handle it much better than they do. For example, by being upfront about the DRM and pledging to remove it with a patch a couple of months after launch. With Sonic Mania, even if the launch delay wasn't to add the DRM, it sure seems like it was because Sega didn't bother to mention its presence until launch.

Sure, that wouldn't placate everyone, but I think it would go a way to reassure potential buyers that they won't be stuck with something they can't play a few years down the line.

philz

Have purchased 3 copies of this game (PS4, Switch Collector's Edition, and Steam) and this shit just bums me out.

lazygecko

HgK0paw.gif

NoKisum

Welp, looks like Sega got me after all.

When PC got delayed, Sega said they were giving people free copies of Sonic 1 to make up for it. I gifted it since I have almost every other Sonic game on Steam already.

So I went to do the refund like everyone suggested, and Steam denied it because I gifted the unrelated game to someone else.

Congrats, Sega, you fucked me real good.

Tizoc

The ๖ۜBronx;247320434 said:
Not saying DRM isn't an issue as a practice but has anyone had any Denuvo-related issues specifically with Sonic Mania yet?

Game ran fine for me and aparently it runs really well on a Win GDP.

How do we know for sure that the delay was to impliment denuvo. I've seen a lot of comments saying that that was why it was delayed but have not seen any proof.

I've even seen some go as far as to say that there was no big fixing it anything during those two weeks

dan2026

How do we know for sure that the delay was to impliment denuvo. I've seen a lot of comments saying that that was why it was delayed but have not seen any proof.
It hardly matters if it was put in during the two weeks now.
The damage is done and everyone is pissed off.

Well, what the hell.

I could see the decision to put Denuvo in as being understandable - and apparently some sort of modding is possible with this particular implementation - but they screwed up so many details. No pre-release info badge on Steam store. No other forms of disclosure. And no offline mode whatsoever. This is the new low, I never got my head around the exact story behind Denuvo authorizations expiring, but I never heard of it being connected to game being strictly online only unless it was already announced to be online only for other reasons - and you know, on other machines too. Here, the game doesn't launch offline minutes after an online launch because... well, I wonder if it's possible something else is screwed up, because Denuvo is supposed to ask for a website code as a last resort and Mania just says it won't launch without Steam log in.

If the team behind the actual game part of game wants form entries as proof it matters, then I'm firing away. Doubt it changes much, but barring a change in their polilcies I guess I'm back in age of cracks actually mattering to me as a paying consumer...

Guess Who

Banned
I'm pretty confident the "no playing offline" thing is actually not down to Denuvo, but instead down to however the Steam API was implemented. (Still shitty either way, of course.)

p3n

I haven't played it, but I preordered it about a month ago I think. Sounds like I'm screwed.

Despite the false claims earlier in this thread it seems like you are indeed screwed. I am in the same boat and my refund requests have been denied because I bought (read: pre-ordered) the game in July.

Seems like Valve and/or SEGA getting away with deceit and fraudulent concealment - AGAIN.

Fuck you Sega. Collector's Edition pre-order cancelled. I'm sick and tired of my games being held hostage behind an authentication server that if the bill doesn't get paid, my legitimate purchases become unplayable.

It'd be one thing if Denuvo were removed after it was cracked or if they gave some sort of "we have an automated mechanism that removes it after 2 years" but I don't feel comfortable handing over the keys to my games to the shits behind SecuROM.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Despite the false claims earlier in this thread it seems like you are indeed screwed. I am in the same boat and my refund requests have been denied because I bought (read: pre-ordered) the game in July.

They're not false claims:

Refunds on Pre-Purchased Titles
When you pre-purchase a title on Steam (and have paid for the title in advance), you can request a refund at any time prior to release of that title. The standard 14-day/two-hour refund period also applies, starting on the game's release date.

Submit another request and cite the above. Your requests should have been automatically approved but, for whatever reason, were handled manually, probably by external support staff members who aren't familiar with that portion of the policy.

-Gozer-

Seems like Valve and/or SEGA getting away with deceit and fraudulent concealment - AGAIN.

Did you gift the free copy of Sonic 1 to someone? Some people are being denied due to this.

p3n

Submit another request and cite the above. Your original request was probably handled by an external support staff member who's not familiar with that portion of the policy.

I did exactly that. Twice. Maybe the refund policy is not the same for all regions. Never used the Steam refund system before.

Did you gift the free copy of Sonic 1 to someone? Some people are being denied due to this.

Nope. Did not gift anything or play anything related to the Mania purchase.

DragonQuarter

Neo Member
I find it kinda funny that people are like "EFF YOU I'm going to buy it on PS4 / Switch instead" and it's like...they still get your money either way! *shrug*

Mr_Moogle

I don't understand how Denuvo is still a thing. It doesn't really protect publishers from piracy and I'm going to assume it costs time and money for developers to implement. What's the point?

Sonic Mania is great but they should be spending their time fixing bugs and releasing a patch.

JaseC

I did exactly that. Twice. Maybe the refund policy is not the same for all regions. Never used the Steam refund system before.

The policy is universal, though the payment methods Valve can return money to can differ depending on region.

Try submitting a support ticket instead (https://store.steampowered.com/account/history/ -> click your Sonic Mania pre-purchase -> click "I have a question about this purchase"). I wouldn't start off by requesting a refund, though, as you'd likely just be directed to the refund request tool by someone who didn't read your ticket properly. Instead, ask why your requests are being denied on the basis of purchase date when the game has only just now released. That should get you a relevant response.

p3n

The policy is universal, though the payment methods Valve can return money to can differ depending on region.

Try submitting a support ticket instead (https://store.steampowered.com/account/history/ -> click your Sonic Mania pre-purchase -> click "I have a question about this purchase"). I wouldn't start off by requesting a refund, though, as you'd likely just be directed to the refund request tool by someone who didn't read your ticket properly. Instead, ask why your requests are being denied on the basis of purchase date when the game has only just now released. That should get you a relevant response.

Will try this now. Thanks for the great write-up.

I don't understand how Denuvo is still a thing. It doesn't really protect publishers from piracy and I'm going to assume it costs time and money for developers to implement. What's the point?

I imagine there are multiple reasons which can combine. Pubs are used to having an antipiracy entry in PC budget, it probably stops some non-dedicated pirates and may at least annoy dedicated ones (against all marketing wisdom I would love to annoy people pirating my game if I could guarantee no false positives), some pubs may see blocking mods as added value, similar argument could be construed around microtransactions, it may give them an extra data source for statistics...

I think the reason that refunds ain't being allowed is because of the sonic 1 gift that came with it. For some dumb reason, the rejection email bundles sonic 1 with sonic mania.

c0Zm1c

The ๖ۜBronx;247320434 said:
Not saying DRM isn't an issue as a practice but has anyone had any Denuvo-related issues specifically with Sonic Mania yet?

My connection to Steam dropped briefly earlier and it wouldn't let me play Sonic Mania. I think that's the first time this has happened to me with any game that uses Denuvo actually. Other than that I'm enjoying the game. More than the PS4 version, weirdly. I'm not entirely sure why that is but it could be because my controller of choice is still the Xbox 360 pad, which I'm using to play this PC version.

JaseC

I think the reason that refunds ain't being allowed is because of the sonic 1 gift that came with it. For some dumb reason, the rejection email bundles sonic 1 with sonic mania.

That shouldn't matter provided it hasn't been activated, sent to a friend or traded away, but, come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if licences that grant a complimentary gift copy of something didn't come to mind when the refund request system was being designed and it's rejecting Sonic Mania pre-purchase refund requests it should be approving or forwarding to Valve for review.

Late edit: Ah, the Genesis/MegaDrive emulator was added to packages. That may complicate things for anybody who has used it for 2+ hours. I didn't realise the gift copy was just for existing owners of Sonic 1.

StereoVsn

Well, this is bullshit. I was looking forward toward some interesting mods. Seems pointless on a $20 game as well. Oh well, I will wait for sales and possibly for Denuvo to get pulled.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The game suggests that it just needs to authenticate on first use...

4DY3eRZ.png

...but still gives you the following error if you try to run it offline afterward.

VgtK6z2.png

And in general, I'm not too thrilled about leaving my software licenses in the hands of a third party with questionable means of enforcement.

WZAeA1f.png

So, that's that.

Yip6CPL.png

Back to Switch I go.

Nope. Did not gift anything or play anything related to the Mania purchase.

Steam's Refund team needs to read the comments period. They just refunded my ARK purchase from 2015 but they won't refund my ARK Scorched Earth DLC that I got early 2017.

Baleoce

Anyone else having controller issues? Trying to use a DS4. I've got it enabled in Steam, and I have the recommended DS4 profile for Sonic Mania set up. It navigates big picture mode no problems. But it just won't recognise it in game though.

The game suggests that it just needs to authenticate on first use...

4DY3eRZ.png

...but still gives you the following error if you try to run it offline afterward.

VgtK6z2.png

And in general, I'm not too thrilled about leaving my software licenses in the hands of a third party with questionable means of enforcement.

WZAeA1f.png

So, that's that.

Yip6CPL.png

Back to Switch I go.

lol that 1.9 hours tho

Anyone else having controller issues? Trying to use a DS4. I've got it enabled in Steam, and I have the recommended DS4 profile for Sonic Mania set up. It navigates big picture mode no problems. But it just won't recognise it in game though.

I forget why exactly but I don't like using the ds4 setup in steam. I use DS4Windows and it worked fine in sonic. Make sure you select "HIDE DS4 Controller"

low-G

Disappointed, but I won't refund. According to Sega they're going to fix it so it at least works offline with those regular intermittent verifications.

I think Denuvo is completely unnecessary and harmful. My biggest concern is like others have said, what happens when Denuvo goes down.

However, there isn't a great alternative, because other platforms' (consoles) DRM is similarly bad if not worse. Not gonna get stuck with a license on broken Nintendo hardware that I HAVE to send in to Nintendo if I ever want to play again. That's fucking ridiculous. PSN wouldn't be a terrible choice, but at some point Sony's gonna take that service down, or at the very least PS5 will have lame back compat...

Furthermore, it's OFFENSIVE that they delayed the game 2 weeks just to add DRM and lock the game down. And it's ridiculous that a bunch of sycophants defended the delay, positing that they actually were fixing something, when based on activity all they did was add the DRM. So lame.

Top Bottom