• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania Denuvo DRM cracked

ArjanN

While it would be better if it didn't have Denuvo, to be fair it's about 99% likely you'd never even noticed it was there anyway and if you do have issues you can just refund it, so I don't think it's a huge deal. Still, they'd probably be smart to remove it pretty soon though, just to keep up the goodwill the game built up.

If Sonic Mania flat out isn't working in offline mode, that's really screwed up.

Denuvo itself does not enforce an online connection.

Mman235

zzGXLZt.png

Sure, don't let me play Sonic Mania offline, but you sure as hell allow Sonic 4 to be played offline...thanks...

This is the message I get. Looks like i can't get a refund from where I pre-purchased it (Bundle Stars) either.

Oh well, I have the Switch version now, so I'll just have to hope this bullshit gets removed at a later date and PC gets some cool mods in the future.

daninthemix

I have no problem with DRM but I DO have a problem with always online (or random online checks) that render the game inoperable if they don't pass.

hiryu64

Wow. So now they decide to reveal that it has Denuvo? Literally hours from the game's release? That is deceptive and shady as hell. I'm apparently fucked since I bought and redeemed a Steam key from Bundle Stars (they're legit before you ask), because Steam's refund policy doesn't cover resold keys and Bundle Stars won't honor a revealed/redeemed key. Which is terrible because I never would have purchased this game if I had known it would have Denuvo.

I wonder if I have any kind of recourse. I'll be contacting Bundle Stars. Hopefully they can make an exception given the circumstances. This shit was literally forced on me without my knowledge and I am not happy.

Parfait

Yep, that's the reason Bethesda games like FO4 and Skyrim Special Edition doesn't have them.
Same with XCOM2.

A shame, considering the background of some developers that work on the game.

What? SkySE has plenty of mods. Do you mean SKSE64?

Mman235

Wow. So now they decide to reveal that it has Denuvo? Literally hours from the game's release? That is deceptive and shady as hell. I'm apparently fucked since I bought and redeemed a Steam key from Bundle Stars (they're legit before you ask), because Steam's refund policy doesn't cover resold keys and Bundle Stars won't honor a revealed/redeemed key. Which is terrible because I never would have purchased this game if I had known it would have Denuvo.

I wonder if I have any kind of recourse. I'll be contacting Bundle Stars. Hopefully they can make an exception given the circumstances. This shit was literally forced on me without my knowledge and I am not happy.

As someone who got it from the same place I'm definitely interested in hearing if there's any success with this; it seems to be suggested that refunds aren't possible, but if they're making exceptions for this I'll definitely be trying it.

nkarafo

Just how many protection measures this thing has? Sure it has Denuvo but it appears like there's another one that doesn't let you play offline?

That's a nice cocktail of worthless garbage data for your PC to run.

Thanks Sega, i guess you don't want my money.

They spend shiton of money and delayed it, hence losing more sales, for a DRM that will lead to... more lost sales.
And then they will complain PC games don't sell very well.

Chobel

I have no issue with Denuvo because it rarely if ever affects the game. Always online DRM though, that's fucking bullshit, so fuck you Sega.

hodgy100

Sega UK huh.

Take with a mountain of salt but I heard off the grapevine that this was Sega Europe's call, extremely last minute. Interesting that he linked to their website when referring to letting voices be heard by the right people. ��

sega UK is sega europe

this is disappointing

hiryu64

As someone who got it from the same place I'm definitely interested in hearing if there's any success with this; it seems to be suggested that refunds aren't possible, but if they're making exceptions for this I'll definitely be trying it.

I sent them a message and am awaiting a response. I'm expecting the worst, but I'm hoping that they can work something out. Worst case is that I just don't play it until it eventually gets removed, if it ever does. Or I'll just run it in a virtual machine. lmao

SoulUnison

Banned
A 2 week delay to implement DRM that increases wear and tear on user's machines for a 20$, 320 MB game?

Fuck you, Sega.

Denuvo is quite literally a punishment for paying customers.
You pay for the privilege of having your computer constantly work far harder than it needs to.

I'm downloading on Steam right now, but I have more than half a mind to get a refund and take my 20 dollars to the PS4.

You delayed the game for 2 weeks to implement Denuvo DRM, a system that causes constant CPU and disk read/writes and increases wear and tear on user's machines?

It's literally a punishment that affects only your paying customers.

I will most likely be requesting a refund and taking my $20 to the PS4.
I will also be avoiding SEGA PC releases in the future as long as this is your DRM of choice.

I don't give companies money to damage my equipment.

ChryZ

Glad I waited and didn't blindly pre-ordered. I will not support always online or expiration date DRM. There's nothing to gain for paying customers and pirates will win regardless when the game is cracked in a few days. Way to screw your fans, Sega.

The Cowboy

Aww, i was gonna double dip and get it on PC as well as my Switch - but I'll stick with just the switch version until this is patched out (if it ever is).

Stevey

http://steamcommunity.com/games/584400/announcements/detail/1448326045461380318

Like you, we've noticed an error in the Steam store not mentioning the DRM for Sonic Mania.

We're fixing that now.

Sonic Mania is intended to be played offline and we're investigating reports on that.

We're also investigating other issues like controller support, these are all PC specific things that Christian and the team have been working on these last few weeks

Please bare with us while we collate and investigate problems that are being brought to our attention

SoulUnison

Banned
We're also investigating other issues like controller support, these are all PC specific things that Christian and the team have been working on these last few weeks
Wait, they delayed the game 2 weeks and there's problems with controller support?

What the fuck, Sega?

Sonic Mania is intended to be played offline and we're investigating reports on that.

...So you're confused by the features of the DRM you specifically chose to implement? Right...

A 2 week delay to implement DRM that increases wear and tear on user's machines for a 20$, 320 MB game?

Fuck you, Sega.

Denuvo is quite literally a punishment for paying customers.
You pay for the privilege of having your computer constantly work far harder than it needs to.

I'm downloading on Steam right now, but I have more than half a mind to get a refund and take my 20 dollars to the PS4.

Look, if you refund it and just buy the ps4 version, Sega won't care, because they're still getting your money.

Shaneus

Google Securom incompatibility with Windows 10 and have a look at some of the games affected. Denuvo is the next DRM method from the same developers, and has a similar potential to leave games unplayable if their servers are deactivated or the OS blocks the DRM.
Hah, funnily enough a game I have that exact problem with is... Sega Rally Revo (bought via Direct2Drive).

Top Bottom