• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania Denuvo DRM cracked

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I can't blame them. Everyone knows PC gamers are filthy thieving scum.

Ferr986

I just hope people don't pester Taxman on Twitter, he's surely not at fault for this.

Sucks because the game is so damn good and has so much passion in it.

And down to the bottom of the priority list of games to purchase it goes.

Now back to playing my full price purchase of the XCOM2 expansion, without Denuvo.

Never seen the problem with Denuvo

Just look for any Denuvo related thread, and follow the discussion. Plenty of sound arguments are given in pretty much all of them.

Mman235

Oh wow, I completely forgot the always online bullshit with Denuvo. Tried logging in once online and then playing offline but it just says you need to be logged in to play. Not sure since I pre-ordered it elsewhere at a discount, but hopefully I can just refund this and get another version instead.

finley83

Banned
Never seen the problem with Denuvo

Google Securom incompatibility with Windows 10 and have a look at some of the games affected. Denuvo is the next DRM method from the same developers, and has a similar potential to leave games unplayable if their servers are deactivated or the OS blocks the DRM.

synce

That was the most transparent bullshitting ever with the delay. This is one way to outright lie and deceive your customers, really thought Sega was better than this.

Also no mention of it anywhere on the store page, as if you're not entitled to know your game won't be playable offline without jumping through hoops, and may not be playable at all in 10 years.

MUnited83

For you.
Yep, that's the reason Bethesda games like FO4 and Skyrim Special Edition doesn't have them.
Same with XCOM2.

A shame, considering the background of some developers that work on the game.
Denuvo does limit modding. Not sure why you bring up games with built in tools to make and share mods. That's not what people are complaining about.
Another reason this is a dumb post is because no, FO4 and Skyrim SE do not have Denuvo. Nice try tho

Naive, but what's the problem? Is there something wrong with Denuvo?

You're asking what the problem with excessive DRM is?

And if there's something wrong with something so generally despised? :)

Right. Short summary:

1, It hides a server depency to a 3rd party Amazon server, that's needed for installation (and often updates to the game or your computer), otherwise you won't get to play your game. If the server would be taken down with the DRM removed, the game will become unavailable.
2. It only serves a purpose when it's uncracked and no drm free version is available, so you won't get releases at GOG or similiar sites until it's removed.
3. It only serves a purpose for the developer/publisher (if even that). You as a customer have no benefit of it.
4. If if implemented wrong, it can effect the performance of the game.
5. It can limit modding of games.

ckaneo

Honestly the game is only around 200 mb and not very system taxing. One of those games I think casuals would try to pirate

Unai

I can't believe I bought a fucking 2D platform (not one of the types of games I like the most) that is always online. Worst gaming decision I ever did.

Mark1

Can someone explain Denovo and why there's this big backlash around it?

Edit:

Right. Short summary:

1, It hides a server depency to a 3rd party Amazon server, that's needed for installation (and often updates to the game or your computer), otherwise you won't get to play your game. If the server would be taken down with the DRM removed, the game will become unavailable.
2. It only serves a purpose when it's uncracked and no drm free version is available, so you won't get releases at GOG or similiar sites until it's removed.
3. It only serves a purpose for the developer/publisher (if even that). You as a customer have no benefit of it.
So Sega are basically removing the customers' rights with this move?

Getting it for Switch was definitely the best move.

Afrocious

Right. Short summary:

Shit. Yeah that sucks.

Was wondering what the catch would be, seemed like the delay was to prevent the PC version from muddying the reviews and reception for one reason or another.

HKA6A7

Denuvo does limit modding. Not sure why you bring up games with built in tools to make and share mods. That's not what people are complaining about.
Another reason this is a dumb post is because no, FO4 and Skyrim SE do not have Denuvo. Nice try tho
You are missing my point:
Denuvo doesn't allow complex modding, which is the reason why a publisher known to use this drm, makes an exception with those games.

Atrarock

zzGXLZt.png

Sure, don't let me play Sonic Mania offline, but you sure as hell allow Sonic 4 to be played offline...thanks...

If you're already playing the game and get kicked offline, Mania will still keep running. Close it and try to run it again....NOPE!

Baleoce

If I purchased this from humble bundle does it make any difference?

edit - nvm i just checked and there's not a link to directly download without drm

HoodWinked

smaller file sized games are much more severely pirated, sonic mania is under 200mb on the switch.

this game is so small nearly all file hosts won't even need to split the file into chunks. downloading 200mb on broadband only takes 3 minutes or less.

If I purchased this from humble bundle does it make any difference?

its probably a steam key so its the same as just buying it on steam

Top Bottom