• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

thesoapster said:
In the US? There are a few 250s (Ninja 250R being the most popular), some 500s, a few 650s...etc. Your best bet is to take the MSF BRC (basic rider course) to make sure you're cool with bikes and want to move on to buying one. Then I'd get a used bike. Riders start at different places...can't go wrong with a 250 or a 500 in my book...beyond that I say it depends on the individual. I've seen some 400cc dual sport bikes...not necessarily dedicated street bikes, though. I'm not sure what style you're looking for, as the Ninja has a more sporty look (still somewhat upright seating position), but Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki have some more classic standard-type bikes also (not really fitting into the cruiser category).

Also keep in mind a bike made today vs 1980 will differ power-wise. You could probably get along just fine on a Ninja 250R (if that's your style...and it's the most powerful 250 out there AFAIK).
I'm in the UK but what you say is sound advice, and yeah I would go to bike school etc first before spending a few grand on a vehicle.

I never realised there was a ninja 250, i'm very out of the loop.

I just googled up a picture of one:

14le01.jpg

Oh man now that is a sexy bike, always loved the ninja's look.

Nice...outside the U.S. you can get the 250R as a fuel injected version...they all use carburetors here.

Sit on the bikes...see how you like them. Since you're in the UK there's a decent chance there are some bikes being sold there that are not sold in the U.S. The 250R has garnered high praise, and Kawasaki knows how to make that bike...they've been making it for years. They just did their current design for 08...before that it had been unchanged for quite some time.

Flo_Evans

In the UK I believe you are restricted on CC's the 1st year of your license. Dragona can probably explain the specifics. As a result though there are a lot of small bikes in the UK to Choose from and the used market is very good because of people getting cleared for larger bikes. Or so I am told. :D

So where did your bike go today?

28wjlew.jpg

Mine found some nicely graded gravel roads to rip down! :D

Then I found an MX track. I had never riden on one so I said eh? Paid $10 and I was off! Nothing like being passed by 10 year olds on 50cc's taking doubles while I putted around barley getting air. :lol

29dimic.jpg

Lost one of my mirrors :( Well I didn't really lose it, more like busted it off trying to go through muddy truck ruts. :lol Huge ruts left by 4x4's in mud remain my nemesis. A sage rider told me the secret is to wheelie slightly through them. Sounds crazy enough to work!

2s7f5sx.jpg

I really wanted to frolic in this field but the park ranger gave me strict orders not to go off the path. :(

rtzuxj.jpg

225 miles total today. I think tomorrow will be a maintenance wash and polish day. I am sore. :lol

Yesterday, my bike was doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMfc5lU1_dM&fmt=18

I had some faster riding from Friday (no recording from then, though). I didn't want to break the law too much on camera :lol (that and that good old break in part)

edit: And though that video doesn't really show it much, and it's a bit harder to tell from just a camera without feeling the bike itself, my rear tire on both sides has the tiny little nubs about 0.25" or less from the edge of the tire almost completely worn off :D :D

And :lol flo, you're pretty awesome/crazy with that thing.

Flo_Evans

What kind of camera are you using Soapster? Looks really good! And that sound! :D

I tried to strap a regular DV cam to my ducati once but it shook so much half the tape was trashed and I got tons of wind noise instead of sweet v-twin music. I guess the fairing helps?

J-Rzez

Man, the 09 R1's were baffling me with the sound they make until I read that they used a cross plane on them, then it all made sense. It is certainly going to be a "Love/Hate" situation with that tone that's for sure. But, no one can deny that bike is a hell of a machine.

Flo_Evans said:
What kind of camera are you using Soapster? Looks really good! And that sound! :D

I tried to strap a regular DV cam to my ducati once but it shook so much half the tape was trashed and I got tons of wind noise instead of sweet v-twin music. I guess the fairing helps?

I'm using a Canon FS100, which uses flash memory (SDHC card in mine). I'm using a tank mount from http://www.sportbikecam.com/home.php. The camera sits on top of the tank, mostly behind the wind screen...so wind noise isn't as much of a problem. One thing I've heard of people doing is to attach an aux mic to the camera and then hide that closer to the engine/somewhere where less wind noise leaks in.

The shot of me going around the corner was taken by a Leica D-Lux 4 digital camera.

J-Rzez said:
Man, the 09 R1's were baffling me with the sound they make until I read that they used a cross plane on them, then it all made sense. It is certainly going to be a "Love/Hate" situation with that tone that's for sure. But, no one can deny that bike is a hell of a machine.

It sounds a lot like the YZR-M1 (which has a crossplane crankshaft). I like my street-legal race bike :D :lol

Flo_Evans

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature, and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top Ten Reasons Why Sportbikers Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, and talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

:lol

I find that pretty much everyone waves back, regardless of ride. I always wave to other riders and give the thumbs up if someone has a dirtbike in the trailer or just a bad ass car. :D

Actually I do more of a peace sign. The harley dudes seem to like the hand extended like they are going for a low-five. Sport bike riders mostly do a head nod.

:lol nice

And for the record it's not too hard to wave while in a 1 piece suit :p

I don't stick my arm out to wave when I have to keep it on the handlebar...like when I have my clutch pulled in, for instance.

I don't wave to trikes or scooters. They don't count, dammit! :lol

Just about everyone waves back (and there are a ton of Harley riders around here).

I got a honda cruiser as my first bike. A dirt bike would be fun for some off road action. My dream bike is a harley v-rod. The sound is amazing.

garath

thesoapster said:
Yesterday, my bike was doing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMfc5lU1_dM&fmt=18

I had some faster riding from Friday (no recording from then, though). I didn't want to break the law too much on camera :lol (that and that good old break in part)

edit: And though that video doesn't really show it much, and it's a bit harder to tell from just a camera without feeling the bike itself, my rear tire on both sides has the tiny little nubs about 0.25" or less from the edge of the tire almost completely worn off :D :D

And :lol flo, you're pretty awesome/crazy with that thing.

You definitely need to hit the track. It is so much fun. No cops, tons of curves, it's an absolute blast.

Not sure what area you are in but the northeast has quite a few organizations that run on New Hampshire motor speedway and New Jersey Motorsports park. The latter of those two being a very very fast track.

garath said:
You definitely need to hit the track. It is so much fun. No cops, tons of curves, it's an absolute blast.

Not sure what area you are in but the northeast has quite a few organizations that run on New Hampshire motor speedway and New Jersey Motorsports park. The latter of those two being a very very fast track.

I'm in MD, and I'll be hitting Summit Point (the main track and the Shenandoah circuit). In the future I might make the trek over to Thunderbolt in NJ, but we'll see...

half a moon said:
I got a honda cruiser as my first bike. A dirt bike would be fun for some off road action. My dream bike is a harley v-rod. The sound is amazing.

The V-Rod is actually pretty cool looking to me. Works for me more than any of their other designs.

Muddimar

I live in Cincy and very few Harley riders will wave...Pisses me off. I have to agree though, I find it difficult to wave at a scooter haha!

Diablohead said:
I'm in the UK but what you say is sound advice, and yeah I would go to bike school etc first before spending a few grand on a vehicle.

I never realised there was a ninja 250, i'm very out of the loop.

I just googled up a picture of one:

Oh man now that is a sexy bike, always loved the ninja's look.

Well you're restricted for your first few years. If you don't mind me asking how old are you? If you're under 16 you can't ride anything bigger than 50cc and it can't be capable of going faster than 50kph. I'm going to assume you're older than that with a full driver's licence. You're still going to have to complete the CBT (Compulsary Basic Training).

You can get either your "restricted" or "light" licence or you can go for your full licence.

Motorcycle Licencing Laws said:
Light motorcycle licence (A1): you take a test on a motorcycle of between 75 and 125 cc. If you pass you may ride a motorcycle up to 125 cc with power output up to 11 kW.

Standard motorcycle licence (A): if your test vehicle is between 120 and 125 cc and capable of more than 100 km/h you will be given a standard (A) licence. You will then be restricted to motorcycles of up to 25 kW for two years. After two years you may ride any size machine.

Now besides cc restrictions if your bike is under the 25kW power (like the 250 Ninja), you'll be able to ride that too. There are also power restrictors you can buy to make a more powerful bike legal, but I wouldn't bother with that.

The one thing you can be sure of is that when you sell a beginner's bike, you'll get back almost what you paid for it.

Best thing to do is just sign up for a motorcycle safety course where they'll let you ride the bikes. They'll have all the info.

Now if you're over 21 there is a way of streamlining this so you can ride a larger bike sooner, but I'm not positive of all the details (you'll have to have a licenced instructor with you, amongst other things).

daw840 said:
Does anyone here have any experience with these.

http://www.greenlightstuff.com/trigger.html

Apparently it solves the "stuck at a red light" problem for motorcycles.

From the site:
These "inductive loop" sensors are easy to spot because they have a circular, square, or diamond-shaped saw cut in the pavement just before the intersection.

On those cuts in the pavement, just put your wheels right on them and the light changes. Works for me every time. No need for this gadget.

daw840

xBerserker said:
On those cuts in the pavement, just put your wheels right on them and the light changes. Works for me every time. No need for this gadget.

In the middle of the lane where they intersect? Or on the outside parts of them?

daw840 said:
In the middle of the lane where they intersect? Or on the outside parts of them?

I usually just do the outer edge, but any of the edges will work. Even in my car I still do it, light changes much faster ;)

daw840

xBerserker said:
I usually just do the outer edge, but any of the edges will work. Even in my car I still do it, light changes much faster ;)

29lzc6d.gif

Thanks. Learn something new everyday!

Flo_Evans

I hope that everyone knows, aside from checking you tire pressure, oil level and coolant level that chain maintenance is the most important thing you can do to keep your bike in tip top shape!

You should be lubing you chain every 500 miles. For best results the chain should be hot (ride around for a bit) I like the foamy type because it doesn't overspray and sticks to the chain. Like this http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/maxima-chain-guard/ Plus the bubbles let you know its working :lol

I have heard (from a certain old harley riding soybean farmer that gave me a lift once over some ice) That regular old soybean oil makes an excellent chain lube. I don't know about that, but it has to be better than doing nothing and letting your chain rust.

You DO NOT want your chain to break at 60mph (or higher you lawbreakers!) and come up and take your leg off (another good reason to wear proper riding gear!).

Don't use WD-40, it is a penetrant and will get in there and dissolves the grease that you want on your chain! You can use it to clean the chain, but it must be lubed after that. I like to use WD-40 to spray on switches and ignition after the bike gets wet.

daw840

Flo_Evans said:
I hope that everyone knows, aside from checking you tire pressure, oil level and coolant level that chain maintenance is the most important thing you can do to keep your bike in tip top shape!

You should be lubing you chain every 500 miles. For best results the chain should be hot (ride around for a bit) I like the foamy type because it doesn't overspray and sticks to the chain. Like this http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/maxima-chain-guard/ Plus the bubbles let you know its working :lol

I have heard (from a certain old harley riding soybean farmer that gave me a lift once over some ice) That regular old soybean oil makes an excellent chain lube. I don't know about that, but it has to be better than doing nothing and letting your chain rust.

You DO NOT want your chain to break at 60mph (or higher you lawbreakers!) and come up and take your leg off (another good reason to wear proper riding gear!).

Don't use WD-40, it is a penetrant and will get in there and dissolves the grease that you want on your chain! You can use it to clean the chain, but it must be lubed after that. I like to use WD-40 to spray on switches and ignition after the bike gets wet.

Is there any maintenance like this needed on a shaft drive?

Flo_Evans

daw840 said:

I have never owned a shaft drive, but I would imagine since it's sealed in that no it will not require as much regular maintenance. Probably similar to the drive shafts in your car. Maybe someone with a drive shaft bike can chime in?

Flo_Evans

No other shaft riders? Well poking around the internet it seems that most recommend the shaft be serviced every 10,000 miles. Basically open her up and repack with grease.

daw840

Flo_Evans said:
No other shaft riders? Well poking around the internet it seems that most recommend the shaft be serviced every 10,000 miles. Basically open her up and repack with grease.

Hmmm, I wonder when the last time that was done...........

Flo_Evans

daw840 said:
Hmmm, I wonder when the last time that was done...........

How new is the back tire? Usually when they replace the rear tire they do it because hey, you've already got the wheel off, might as well lube up the shaft.

If you are overly concerned about it and uncomfortable doing it yourself, just take it up to the honda shop. They shouldn't charge more than $100 for a full lube and check.

zhenming

Wow the
Ninjas
are so
stealth
!!!

Saw this on the road the other day... don't really know what to call it... but cool

silience-t-rex-electric-car.jpg

daw840

zhenming said:
Wow the
Ninjas
are so
stealth
!!!

Saw this on the road the other day... don't really know what to call it... but cool

silience-t-rex-electric-car.jpg

Looks kind of like the T-Rex

t-rex.jpg

edit: I guess it looks exactly like the T-Rex.......lol

daw840 said:

Every 10 000 km you need to have the oil changed in there. I usually get my motorcycle dude to do it because it's a real pain in the ass. They put a brand new tyre on for me, and some extra maintenance and I paid about 140$USD for it all together (including the cost of the tyre).

If you're not sure when the last maintenance was, just get it done. Great thing about Honda's tho, is that even if it goes 20 000km somehow, it won't just putz out on you. Just get it done ASAP and keep count from then.

thesoapster said:
Tell that to the sport bike manufacturers...they might eventually believe you :D :D

I think they're fucking nuts, personally. Shaft drives are sealed, better for real life weather, safer for the rider (if it goes, it isn't going to take your leg off) and while a pain to maintain, they need less maintenance overall.

Good thing I don't ride SuperSport. :p

Dragona Akehi said:
I think they're fucking nuts, personally. Shaft drives are sealed, better for real life weather, safer for the rider (if it goes, it isn't going to take your leg off) and while a pain to maintain, they need less maintenance overall.

Good thing I don't ride SuperSport. :p

Eh. Just cleaning and oiling or waxing it every 500 miles or so (or whenever it gets filthy) and make sure the tension is correct...I don't mind it much. If it's well kept and replaced once it has been tightened to the limit I don't think safety is too much of a concern.

thesoapster said:
Eh. Just cleaning and oiling or waxing it every 500 miles or so (or whenever it gets filthy) and make sure the tension is correct...I don't mind it much. If it's well kept and replaced once it has been tightened to the limit I don't think safety is too much of a concern.

The more user friendly riding a bike is (ie: less constant maintenance), the more likely n00bs are to ride, and ride safely. I personally think that street bikes should be designed more around that than performance. How many n00bs, unless they've taken an MSF, even know that their chains have to be lubed and cleaned? Let alone that tension has to be checked and how to measure said correct tension?

Plus the more people riding, means more automobiles taking notice, and hopefully less collisions. :p

Flo_Evans said:
Chain = lighter weight, cheaper, less power loss, and can do wheelies easier. :D

Well I'm not saying to be rid of chains for you people living in the past. ;)

Really though, performance is for performance riders, and the average street rider who doesn't go to the track or go offroad on their enduros would be better served having a shaft drive.

Also quick question: what do people think about Alpinestars GP Plus gloves? I have a pair of Joe Rocket shorties (well they're not that short, they cover my wrist under my jacket), because they were cheap but.... gauntlets are better. New Enough are having a sale and this is the cheapest price I've seen, thank god they ship internationally.

black.jpg

Flo_Evans

BMW has been making shaft drive motorcycles since 1923 ;)

R32-pn.jpg

Has more to do with their boxer engine layout than any performance/maintinece issues.

I do agree though that for tourer bikes a shaft drive makes more sense.

As for gloves IDK I am looking for some myself. I like to actually go to the store and try them on though.

Default.jpg

My Icon super-duty gloves are pretty ratty. They have treated me well though.

420_1g.jpg

My brother swears by these elkskin cowboy gloves from aerostich. He is crazy though.

garath

For gloves I love my Held.

I basically picked up an older version of these on closeout:

http://www.newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/phantom_motorcycle_gloves.html

The quality is fantastic, they're still as good as the day I bought them and it's 3? years I've had them.

The alpine star GPs are good gloves. That price is great for them. I would definitely pick them up if I was looking for gloves.

Gloves are next to boots in my mind. I'll pay for the best protection possible since they are the most vulnerable in a crash. What's the first thing you do if you go sliding off the bike? You put your hands down.

Dragona Akehi said:
The more user friendly riding a bike is (ie: less constant maintenance), the more likely n00bs are to ride, and ride safely. I personally think that street bikes should be designed more around that than performance. How many n00bs, unless they've taken an MSF, even know that their chains have to be lubed and cleaned? Let alone that tension has to be checked and how to measure said correct tension?

Plus the more people riding, means more automobiles taking notice, and hopefully less collisions. :p

Well I'm not saying to be rid of chains for you people living in the past. ;)

Really though, performance is for performance riders, and the average street rider who doesn't go to the track or go offroad on their enduros would be better served having a shaft drive.

Also quick question: what do people think about Alpinestars GP Plus gloves?

As Flo phrased it, you're clearly a shaft rider :D :lol
Didn't even realize that until I saw this page again today...please don't ban me :(

Anyway, the A* GP gloves have garnered a lot of praise. A number of threads I've seen at riding forums have mentioned that line as being great. A number of publications that have reviewed them have also spoken highly of them.

I have not used them myself, but I don't think you could go wrong with them at all. I'd go for them.

edit: Those Held Phantoms are considered by many to be the best track glove period. They're made of kangaroo leather and they also include stingray skin (even more abrasion resistance). I am personally partial to the Spidi Penta gloves. Now I just have to find a way to not shell out $300 for a pair... :lol

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Man, am I the only one here who rides a Harley??? :D

This is my 2005 Heritage Softail (my 5th Harley), pretty much bone stock other than a FI and air cleaner upgrade:

This is on Beartooth Pass, Montana:
wct2008520.jpg

This is near Jim Thorpe, PA, the day I bought her:
flstci2005new005.jpg

Flo_Evans

Mengy said:
Man, am I the only one here who rides a Harley??? :D

This is my 2005 Heritage Softail (my 5th Harley), pretty much bone stock other than a FI and air cleaner upgrade:

Maybe... a few others have metric cruisers here. Nice pics though! This is what I am talking about people!

oh and it's friday... quitin' time! I am off to ride! Just remember, keep the rubber side down, and don't show off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RpcQ5q_B_w You usually end up looking like a dumbass.

Mengy said:
This is on Beartooth Pass, Montana:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2154/wct2008520.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]

Thats a really nice looking area - got any pictures without the ugly bike? :D

[spoiler]Sorry 2-wheel gaf... I'm here yet I've never been on a motocycle - I've got 5 minutes left at work on a friday and I've read every other thread![/spoiler]

Flo_Evans said:
BMW has been making shaft drive motorcycles since 1923 ;)

Has more to do with their boxer engine layout than any performance/maintinece issues.

I do agree though that for tourer bikes a shaft drive makes more sense.

I just think it's a better overall design for people who love bikes, but aren't mechanics. I personally wouldn't go with a chain now. Too much fiddling.

My brother swears by these elkskin cowboy gloves from aerostich. He is crazy though.

Your brother is nuts. I can see those things melting in my mind's eye and they haven't even hit the asphalt yet. o_O

garath said:
For gloves I love my Held.

I basically picked up an older version of these on closeout:

http://www.newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/held/phantom_motorcycle_gloves.html

The quality is fantastic, they're still as good as the day I bought them and it's 3? years I've had them.

The alpine star GPs are good gloves. That price is great for them. I would definitely pick them up if I was looking for gloves.

Gloves are next to boots in my mind. I'll pay for the best protection possible since they are the most vulnerable in a crash. What's the first thing you do if you go sliding off the bike? You put your hands down.

Unfortunately I'm looking for more, uh budget minded wear. I'd love to drop about 2000$ on gear, but I don't have the dosh. So while I'm not trying to sacrifice safety for affordability, it's one of those things to balance.

I'm really glad to have picked up a pair of Oxtar racing boots from NE when they went on absolute clearance. They're fantastic boots, comfortable with numerous safety features that are standard for racing gear but not common on street gear, and they're incredibly light too.

I still need to get a good pair of regular day-to-day riding pants. I hear good things and bad things about Draggin Jeans, and even more confusingly there's an AU store and a US store...

thesoapster said:
As Flo phrased it, you're clearly a shaft rider :D :lol
Didn't even realize that until I saw this page again today...please don't ban me :(

I was waiting for that joke. :p

Anyway, the A* GP gloves have garnered a lot of praise. A number of threads I've seen at riding forums have mentioned that line as being great. A number of publications that have reviewed them have also spoken highly of them.

I have not used them myself, but I don't think you could go wrong with them at all. I'd go for them.

edit: Those Held Phantoms are considered by many to be the best track glove period. They're made of kangaroo leather and they also include stingray skin (even more abrasion resistance). I am personally partial to the Spidi Penta gloves. Now I just have to find a way to not shell out $300 for a pair... :lol

I think I'll go ahead and order a pair. It's unlikely that they won't fit (NE says they're standard without gloves for sizing), and I'll let you guys know what I think of them. I'd love to buy the Held gloves but 300$... D:

HamPster PamPster said:
Thats a really nice looking area - got any pictures without the ugly bike? :D

Sorry 2-wheel gaf... I'm here yet I've never been on a motocycle - I've got 5 minutes left at work on a friday and I've read every other thread!

Go out and take a Motorcycle Safety Course! You'll get your licence (or preliminary, depending where you live), you'll get to ride a bike all weekend and see if it's for you! Do it! We need more people posting in this thread!

Muddimar

So has anyone here "Tuned" their bike? I ran mine on the dyno before riding season was over and the the guy said I have some room for improvement. He said it would cost about 250 dollars, and I would see significant gains (somewhere around 8-10 hp). Is he pulling my leg? I have a PC III and just a bolt on exhaust (not full system).

Muddimar said:
So has anyone here "Tuned" their bike? I ran mine on the dyno before riding season was over and the the guy said I have some room for improvement. He said it would cost about 250 dollars, and I would see significant gains (somewhere around 8-10 hp). Is he pulling my leg? I have a PC III and just a bolt on exhaust (not full system).

My last bike (K7 GSX-R750) had an Arrow Euro Cup Replica (non-street homologated). I got a PCIII and tried out some of the maps from DynoJet. If he's saying you'll see 8-10 HP gain from a slip/bolt-on he's fucking with you or thought you had a full system. The only reason I would get a Power Commander again with a non-full system is if the exhaust had popping (mini backfires...unspent fumes being ignited before they exit the pipe) on decel (which mine did...). I'd wait until I get a full system before doing another dyno run/tune. Check your exhaust manufacturer's site...it should have a section on your pipe about expected HP gains. I think for cat-back pipes gains are in the range of 2-3 HP. If you had a mid-pipe also that got rid of the catalytic converter altogether, THEN you might be able to get 8-10 HP gains.

Top Bottom