• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Flo_Evans said:
I wish I could get her to ride. She has problems (and by problems I mean she can't do it at all...) with a manual transmission car though so IDK how she could handle all the stuff on a bike. She has ridden on the back of the monster but didn't really enjoy it.

We did talk about buying her a scooter last year when gas as $4 a gallon.

There are automatic bikes out there... but I know people who could never figure out stickshift in a car, but figured it out very quickly on a bike. I think bike trannies are just more forgiving.

Buy her a gift certificate to an MSF! Who wants to ride on the back anyway?

Flo_Evans

Dragona Akehi said:
There are automatic bikes out there... but I know people who could never figure out stickshift in a car, but figured it out very quickly on a bike. I think bike trannies are just more forgiving.

Buy her a gift certificate to an MSF! Who wants to ride on the back anyway?

She could sort of work the clutch in a car but when faced with pulling out in traffic she just froze up. I would rather not push the issue, as long as she lets me ride I am fine. I think actually having some different hobbies and time apart is good for a relationship.

She has wanted me to get a bike with a sidecar so I may do that at some point. I have never ridden one though so I am not sure how fun it would be for me. :lol

Flo_Evans said:
She could sort of work the clutch in a car but when faced with pulling out in traffic she just froze up. I would rather not push the issue, as long as she lets me ride I am fine. I think actually having some different hobbies and time apart is good for a relationship.

Well I'm not trying to overburden your relationship but it might still be good for her to take one! Some insurance companies even apply the course towards a car insurance discount because it's a safety course. Besides, you never know... she could catch the bug. :eek:

She has wanted me to get a bike with a sidecar so I may do that at some point. I have never ridden one though so I am not sure how fun it would be for me. :lol

Sidecars are actually really fun. You want to have a blast offroad?

8f668795fd20785b805ab16f861a5e3d.jpg

They're built for Russian Winters. Fantastic machines.

daw840

It seems those sidecars would be really difficult to turn. A right turn would just put you on your side I would think:lol :lol

Regarding the helmet laws...

Not that I wouldn't have worn one to begin with, but my last helmet should show why wearing a full face helmet is the best thing to do...imagine if I had had anything less than that on...

helmet.jpg

Not wearing a helmet is safer! hurrrrr

Flo_Evans

safar_520_400_f34_2.jpg

I do dig the retro russian style, my biggest issue is the MSRP is the same on a new Ducati 848! :lol

You can get a Cozy after market sidecar that will fit on most bikes but that is about $3k and would not work with my current bike at all. http://www.cyclesidecar.com/showroom/rocket.html Somone here had one mounted to his vespa in the scooter thread.

daw840 said:
It seems those sidecars would be really difficult to turn. A right turn would just put you on your side I would think:lol :lol

Left turns?

img_no_5.jpg

No problem! I have no idea how you are supposed to go right on those things. :lol

Flo_Evans said:
I do dig the retro russian style, my biggest issue is the MSRP is the same on a new Ducati 848! :lol

They are built like tanks, da? But yeah, I know they're on the expensive side. But they truly are amazingly tough beasts and can survive just about anything you throw at them. People ride them on motorways in blizzard conditions they're that good.

You can get a Cozy after market sidecar that will fit on most bikes but that is about $3k and would not work with my current bike at all. http://www.cyclesidecar.com/showroom/rocket.html Somone here had one mounted to his vespa in the scooter thread.

That's definitely something to think about too...

Flo_Evans

Long shot but I thought I would see if anyone here wanted my old Ducati jacket before I put it on fleabay.

2s9apf9.jpg

???

It's a size large, zip out liner (good to about 50F) has shoulder and forearm hard armor. The only thing wrong with it is the little tabs that hold the liner sleeves in place have ripped out, but those rip out of every motorcycle jacket :p

PM me if interested, trying to get $50 for it. Otherwise I will put in on ebay in about a week.

Muddimar

Question for anyone with exhaust knowledge. So I have a CF two brothers slip-on, is it possible to purchase just the headers to create the whole system. Welding isn't an issue I have the means to do so, however I can't find anything online about the sale of sportbike headers.

Muddimar said:
Question for anyone with exhaust knowledge. So I have a CF two brothers slip-on, is it possible to purchase just the headers to create the whole system. Welding isn't an issue I have the means to do so, however I can't find anything online about the sale of sportbike headers.

If Two Brothers makes a full system that is two pieces (and the slip-on section you have connects to the remainder of the pipes) it may very well be possible to get just the headers. I know this can be done with Arrows, Akrapovics, and a few other types...not sure about TBR exhausts, though. If you can get them separately I wouldn't think they would require welding...just replacing the rest of the pipe from where your slip-on is clamped down (usually with a metal collar that can be tightened where the two pieces of pipe meet...may also have a spring retention system to keep pressure on the two parts so they stay together).

They make full systems for some bikes...others only slip-ons.

Flo_Evans said:
Long shot but I thought I would see if anyone here wanted my old Ducati jacket before I put it on fleabay.

???

It's a size large, zip out liner (good to about 50F) has shoulder and forearm hard armor. The only thing wrong with it is the little tabs that hold the liner sleeves in place have ripped out, but those rip out of every motorcycle jacket :p

PM me if interested, trying to get $50 for it. Otherwise I will put in on ebay in about a week.

Just curious what is it made of for the outer shell? It looks like denim, though I know it isn't that. Driving me nuts!

Flo_Evans

Dragona Akehi said:
Just curious what is it made of for the outer shell? It looks like denim, though I know it isn't that. Driving me nuts!

The label is mostly in italian but it says polyamide? IDK WTF that is but its some kind of synthetic textile. :lol

Flo_Evans

I do like riding to work. But fuck I go east in the morning and west at night. I need some sort of tinted visor cause today I couldn't see shit!

Anyone ever tried one of these pinlock shield inserts?

Default.jpg

I would like something like this that could be removed easily when the sun goes down. Or I guess I could get some prescription sunglasses...

daw840

I havent tried one of those, but I realized yesterday how much it sucks for the sun to go down and you have to take off your sunglasses, but you have nowhere to put them. I ended up having them under my riding jacket almost getting crushed into my chest. I was thinking about fashioning a clip for my steering column to put them on at night.

Flo_Evans

daw840 said:
I havent tried one of those, but I realized yesterday how much it sucks for the sun to go down and you have to take off your sunglasses, but you have nowhere to put them. I ended up having them under my riding jacket almost getting crushed into my chest. I was thinking about fashioning a clip for my steering column to put them on at night.

You need a tankbag mang! http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/tank_bags/

daw840 said:
So, I rode to work for the first time today! Makes work so much better...

Did that yesterday! So nice!

And then all day at work you know no matter how shitty is, you get to ride home!

Sidelined today from my RT66 trip. I feel like crap and my sinuses are stuffed.

GAF day.

daw840

krypt0nian said:
Did that yesterday! So nice!

And then all day at work you know no matter how shitty is, you get to ride home!

Sidelined today from my RT66 trip. I feel like crap and my sinuses are stuffed.

GAF day.

That and I took a ride at lunch for about an hour. Definitely makes the day nicer!

Flo_Evans said:
I do like riding to work. But fuck I go east in the morning and west at night. I need some sort of tinted visor cause today I couldn't see shit!

Anyone ever tried one of these pinlock shield inserts?

Default.jpg

I would like something like this that could be removed easily when the sun goes down. Or I guess I could get some prescription sunglasses...

Don't you have a luggage bag of some sort that you could carry another visor in? That's what I'd do. The sunglasses prescription might not be a bad idea, either.

daw840

I wonder if they make a visor that tints when the sun is out and gets clear when it's not. Like those prescription eyeglasses....

Flo_Evans

thesoapster said:
Don't you have a luggage bag of some sort that you could carry another visor in? That's what I'd do. The sunglasses prescription might not be a bad idea, either.

Yeah I guess I could do that but its a bit of a procedure to change the visor on my nolan. It has a bunch of craziness that shuts the visor automatically when you lift the chin bar.

I used to wear contacts but I found they dried out to much on the bike. I could get some of these rad HD-Vision wrap arounds! :lol

hdvision-wraparound-.jpg

daw840 said:
I wonder if they make a visor that tints when the sun is out and gets clear when it's not. Like those prescription eyeglasses....

I doubt it, I would think car headlights would fuck it up. Well I wonder how those glasses work at night with car headlights.

The newer Nolans have a little flip down sun strip.

nolan-helmet-n102-n-com.jpg

It's probably about time to get a new helmet, this one is pretty beat up. Never been a crash but its about 5 years old now.

I'd really like an Arai XD3...

2008_Arai_XD_3_Helmet_Aluminum_Silver.jpg

But they are $$$$

hmm it looks like after some searching I can fit that exterior sun visor to my exsisting helmet! :D

Flo: if you can't find an exterior shade for your helm, I'd definitely recommend prescription sunglasses. That thing you linked to is not only HIDEOS, but also who wants to wear to sets of glasses?

You could also go with getting Transition lenses. They seem to work through motorcycle glass, unlike car windshields.

Also, after finding out my insurance went up the equivalent of 300$USD despite never having any tickets or at-fault accidents, I called around and found a place that'll halve my rate. Hooray!

Ichigo

Went for the first ride of the season with my brother and dad today, the weather was just too nice not to. We got a good 45 minute ride in. Forgot to wear gloves, bad idea.

Flo_Evans

Dragona Akehi said:
Flo: if you can't find an exterior shade for your helm, I'd definitely recommend prescription sunglasses. That thing you linked to is not only HIDEOS, but also who wants to wear to sets of glasses?

You could also go with getting Transition lenses. They seem to work through motorcycle glass, unlike car windshields.

Also, after finding out my insurance went up the equivalent of 300$USD despite never having any tickets or at-fault accidents, I called around and found a place that'll halve my rate. Hooray!

Nice. I hear insurance is crazy on bikes in europe. I think mine is $400 a year for full coverage.

My post was a little scatterbrained, cause I was searching for helmets and shields. But it looks like this:

nolan-helmet-n102-n-com.jpg

Will fit on my current helmet for $25! I'd like to get a duck bill style helmet since it's more enduro style but I worry about the bill at high speed. Plus that Arai is $600.... :(

Yeah, the R1's brakes are definitely adequate. I had my first "close" call today. And not with a car. No, no...this happened with some retiree riding his Harley. He and two other Harleys were in one of the straight (no-turn) lanes. I was behind them. I was turning left at the light, so I signaled and moved to the left and began to pass them (they had pulled up behind a line of cars). As I was doing this, one of the group decided he wanted to also turn left. Without looking or signaling, he just moved his bike right in front of me. A nice squeeze of the brake lever had my rear wheel lifting off the ground (then promptly coming back down as I stopped). I'm pretty sure the people riding with him saw exactly what he did, but I let them go in front also (I was already stopped, anyway). I was quite livid. I only had one more light before entering where I work. I was going left at this light and they were going right. I was pulling up next to them and I lifted my visor, intending to at the very least say something (not necessarily to insult him, but to let him know what he had just done)...but the light had just turned, and they were gone. I didn't feel it was worth following them (I can't think of a time when it would ever be worth following unless I needed someone's plates)...so I just went in to work. I have adrenaline in my system still and I feel like I want to punch through a wall/destroy a punching bag.

In a way I wish I had thought of using the horn, but when driving/riding that usually is a complete afterthought in that kind of a situation as I find myself focused completely on stopping/avoiding whatever is going wrong in front of me.

Fucking idiot.

daw840

thesoapster said:
Yeah, the R1's brakes are definitely adequate. I had my first "close" call today. And not with a car. No, no...this happened with some retiree riding his Harley. He and two other Harleys were in one of the straight (no-turn) lanes. I was behind them. I was turning left at the light, so I signaled and moved to the left and began to pass them (they had pulled up behind a line of cars). As I was doing this, one of the group decided he wanted to also turn left. Without looking or signaling, he just moved his bike right in front of me. A nice squeeze of the brake lever had my rear wheel lifting off the ground (then promptly coming back down as I stopped). I'm pretty sure the people riding with him saw exactly what he did, but I let them go in front also (I was already stopped, anyway). I was quite livid. I only had one more light before entering where I work. I was going left at this light and they were going right. I was pulling up next to them and I lifted my visor, intending to at the very least say something (not necessarily to insult him, but to let him know what he had just done)...but the light had just turned, and they were gone. I didn't feel it was worth following them (I can't think of a time when it would ever be worth following unless I needed someone's plates)...so I just went in to work. I have adrenaline in my system still and I feel like I want to punch through a wall/destroy a punching bag.

In a way I wish I had thought of using the horn, but when driving/riding that usually is a complete afterthought in that kind of a situation as I find myself focused completely on stopping/avoiding whatever is going wrong in front of me.

Fucking idiot.

That's a surprise that another bike almost hit you. Usually they are more aware than that. Good to hear the rocket is ok!
I guess it's good to hear you're OK too
:lol

garath

So today I finally got at my battery. Sloppy I had left the battery in the bike intending to start it up once a week and even get a ride here and there over the winter since last winter was so nice. Since we had snow pretty much once a week that didn't happen and I needed to replace the battery to get it up and running again.

Unfortunately there are 2 screws that hold the riders seat in place which I need to remove to get to the battery and they were frozen solid in there. I came dangerously close to stripping the head of the screws (phillips) trying to get it out.

Finally I picked up this handy tool - http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947641000P?pid=00947641000

200ft/lb of torque per hit. One screw came out after a few hits. The other one I wailed away at that thing 100+ times before it finally gave way. After struggling with this mess for weeks I couldn't help myself. I literally cheered.

Will pop in a new battery, change the oil and take it for a spin this weekend. Can't wait :)

Heh, whenever I'm in any sort of traffic my thumb is always sitting over the horn button. I'm never afraid to use it.

Saved me a few times too, like when that one guy was going to pull out in front of me from a stop sign while I was doing 60kph and I wailed on the horn. He at least had the decency to look shocked and apologetic afterwards though.

Flo_Evans

thesoapster said:

Fucking idiot.

Unintentional stoppies are always exciting. I like to practice hard stops and back wheel lockups every once in a while (in an empty lot of course!) too keep my emergency skills on point.

My bike has ABS but I'm not sure I really like it. I always disable it on gravel. One time I was flying down this fire road with it off, which suddenly crossed a blacktop highway. Locked the rear all the way across and finally stopped on the other side. :lol Luckily no cars where coming or I would of been toast. Had to get off and smoke a cig after that.

Incase of idiots pulling out infront of me I like to flash the highbeams more than the horn. Or both. Most people are conditioned to hear a horn and assume it's someone behind them wanting them to move.

daw840

Dragona Akehi said:
Heh, whenever I'm in any sort of traffic my thumb is always sitting over the horn button. I'm never afraid to use it.

Saved me a few times too, like when that one guy was going to pull out in front of me from a stop sign while I was doing 60kph and I wailed on the horn. He at least had the decency to look shocked and apologetic afterwards though.

With the gloves I wear I always end up honking the damn horn on accident when I am going for the turn signals.

Flo_Evans said:
Incase of idiots pulling out infront of me I like to flash the highbeams more than the horn. Or both. Most people are conditioned to hear a horn and assume it's someone behind them wanting them to move.

The guy was far enough away and not looking... he wouldn't have ever seen my highbeam flash. Also, here people usually tend to not use their horn, unless it's an emergency.

daw840 said:
With the gloves I wear I always end up honking the damn horn on accident when I am going for the turn signals.

I hate that, except the way my bike is setup, I usually end up switching the lights from highbeam to low, or vice versa. I hope you get used to them soon.

daw840

Dragona Akehi said:
I hate that, except the way my bike is setup, I usually end up switching the lights from highbeam to low, or vice versa. I hope you get used to them soon.

It's only a problem with the thick cold weather gloves. The summer gloves work just fine!

Flo_Evans said:
Unintentional stoppies are always exciting. I like to practice hard stops and back wheel lockups every once in a while (in an empty lot of course!) too keep my emergency skills on point.

My bike has ABS but I'm not sure I really like it. I always disable it on gravel. One time I was flying down this fire road with it off, which suddenly crossed a blacktop highway. Locked the rear all the way across and finally stopped on the other side. :lol Luckily no cars where coming or I would of been toast. Had to get off and smoke a cig after that.

And yeah, I'll say exciting. The adrenaline rush then the big come down for a couple hours afterward sucked. I felt sick most of the afternoon and I felt really on edge and just ready to fly into action (whatever action that may be...)

I did settle myself down enough, though, to go on a ride after work. Did over 100 miles today :D

497 miles on the bike...103 to initial break in maintenance, then I can let it rip a little more...after 1k miles...I can let it rip all the way :D

I suppose I could flash my lo-beams...during the day I ride around regularly with the high beams (as per instruction).

Flo_Evans

thesoapster said:

I suppose I could flash my lo-beams...during the day I ride around regularly with the high beams (as per instruction).

Allot of people run high beams in the daytime. I don't cause I like to flash them to get attention. I have seen some people install modulators that constantly switch between high/low but I think thats a bit overkill and annoying (and possibly illegal...)

Found an old pic of my monster on my harddrive...

1zb9zzn.jpg

Damn I miss her. Dude down the street just got one of the 08 redesigned models. Not sure if I like everything they did but it brings back memories every time I see him rolling around the neighborhood. :(

I love the new Monster design, Flo :D

daw840, got any photos of that exhaust on the bike you have?

Also, today I stumbled upon this at Kneedraggers.com...

dainese_fail.png

Ashhong

man this thread makes me want to get another bike and try again so bad...i hate myself for selling my 250R...and even more for not riding it more when i had it. god dammit

Ashhong said:
man this thread makes me want to get another bike and try again so bad...i hate myself for selling my 250R...and even more for not riding it more when i had it. god dammit

You have plenty of time to ride in the future, right? Think about getting a specific bike (that you pick out) for at least a month. If you're still really wanting to ride and you're in a financial position that permits...go for it.

I guess the only thing that I would say to watch out for are responsibilities/obligations that could detract from being able to ride. A new job where you work long hours combined with your workout routine, for instance, could mean free time is eaten up. I've been riding for 1 3/4 years and have done about 10,600 miles now...working a full time job and going to school. If you're short on time it's up to you what you make time for.

If now is just not an ideal time keep the idea of a motorcycle in the back of your mind. Some day could very easily become a better time. The roads will always be waiting for you.

Ashhong

thesoapster said:
You have plenty of time to ride in the future, right? Think about getting a specific bike (that you pick out) for at least a month. If you're still really wanting to ride and you're in a financial position that permits...go for it.

I guess the only thing that I would say to watch out for are responsibilities/obligations that could detract from being able to ride. A new job where you work long hours combined with your workout routine, for instance, could mean free time is eaten up. I've been riding for 1 3/4 years and have done about 10,600 miles now...working a full time job and going to school. If you're short on time it's up to you what you make time for.

If now is just not an ideal time keep the idea of a motorcycle in the back of your mind. Some day could very easily become a better time. The roads will always be waiting for you.

im only 20, so yea i have plenty of time, and im set on an 08+ ninja 250r again. im a small guy, so i need a small bike. nothings really stopping me at this point except i refuse to pay the markup on the bikes that dealers and craigslist sellers want, for a second time. im just impatient and extremely jealous when i see/hear people riding. brings back memories and big regrets :lol

Flo_Evans

thesoapster said:
I love the new Monster design, Flo :D

I just think it looks a bit cheesy.

ducati-monster-696-left.jpg

Looks like a toy or something. :lol I didn't really like the 999 design either but they blew me away with the 1048. Hopefully next year it looks a bit more serious. I am pretty set on the 848 for my next bike, unless I can buy my old monster back... actually an SR4 monster of my old vintage would be sweet. :D

Well, I think the exhausts are a pretty big part of the problem. I hate those goofy shapes they come up with these days.

As for the 999, I didn't like it initially, but it certainly grew on me. I love the angular look and appreciate the relatively radical departure from the previous model (which was the 916/996/998).

FiRez

I think this is a good place to ask:
is there a way to add additional lights to a 2 stroke scooter?, the lights of mine are really weak and because of that I try to not ride in unknown streets at night, potholes has been my most common cause of close calls since I started riding.

daw840

FiRez said:
I think this is a good place to ask:
is there a way to add additional lights to a 2 stroke scooter?, the lights of mine are really weak and because of that I try to not ride in unknown streets at night, potholes has been my most common cause of close calls since I started riding.

You could try, but I would be wary of a weak electrical system. How many cc's?

Regarding the LED, just make sure it's legal in your area. It's illegal in some places to have additional lights on a vehicle and you can get your ride impounded...

daw840

Dragona Akehi said:
Regarding the LED, just make sure it's legal in your area. It's illegal in some places to have additional lights on a vehicle and you can get your ride impounded...

Really? Your from the UK right? I have never heard about this in the states. You usually can't change the color of lights on the vehicle, but adding fog lights and such is fine.

Top Bottom